5.0 out of 5 stars Best Carryon Ever
Published on July 9, 2012 by BigFig

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware
After two trips, the handle separated from the shaft on one side. It was attached by a single small Philips screw, and with the hand piece out of place, the steel rod that makes the retractable handle work apparently fell out of the shaft on the flight. We had to take the handle mechanism completely apart to figure this out.
Given how little the bag's been used,...
Published 16 months ago by E. Skinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Carryon Ever, July 9, 2012
This is the best carryon ever. Rugged and very well made as shown by its weight. Excellent trade-off as some airlines are taking carryons to put in baggage compartment. All the best features in spinner wheels, out side pockets, great extend handle, great bottom and side handles, and most important, it fits under seat or overhead when airline lets you take it onboard. Don't miss this well thought out and well traveled carryon. I hate to give my secret up, but the Volt color makes the bag easy to find and identify. "Have Aspire, Will Travel".

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, April 6, 2013
Given how little the bag's been used, this is obviously an inadequate way to attach the handle. I've emailed Sampsonite to see if I can get the replacement parts. Be advised that the warranty requires you to take the bag, or ship it, to a service center, where they'll charge you $10 - $26 for deciding whether or not to honor the warrantee - a typically useless arrangement, unfortunately. Before the handle broke, the bag worked very well - having 4 wheels on the bottom is a nice feature, but keep a close eye on the screws if you decide to buy this bag! They render the whole handle mechanism pretty fragile.

Update: In response to my email request for parts to fix this ourselves, we were told that we would hear from someone within seven days (we never did); then, in response to my repeated calls, that we could mail the entire suitcase Massachusetts, at our expense; that replacement parts could be sent; and finally, that no replacement parts are made for this bag. My husband made a new rod out of a coat hanger, which has kept this nearly new suitcase out of the landfill so far, but we are reluctant to take it on another long trip for fear of the repair not holding up. Would give the bag no stars if possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, perfect bag!, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Samsonite Luggage Aspire Sport Spinner 21 Expandable Bag (Apparel)
Love this bag. At the risk of reiterating what has already been said, this bag is roomy, well designed, rugged, and holds an amazing amount of clothes (etc)-- I was even able to pack extra shoes and a fairly large travel pillow. Packed for a 4 day trip, and I could easily have taken more. 2 large interior pockets (one for wet/dirty or shoes and one mesh), 2 generous exterior pockets and an included 1qt bag for TSA regulated liquids. Interior tie-down (elastic with clip) holds clothes right where you put them. Sturdy easy-glide zippers all around. The spinners work beautifully- completely responsive. Feels weightless when rolling (whether on 2 or 4 wheels), and handled escalators and uneven terrain without missing a beat. Stable standing upright, and stayed right where I put it. The extension handle is sturdy and smooth to operate, and I appreciated the well-placed convenience handles on sides and bottom when lifting up and down. Just took it on a Delta flight and it fit perfectly overhead. Conforms to carry-on standards but tough enough to withstand baggage handlers and luggage carousels if necessary. Made my whole trip easier. Did I mention I love this bag?

Please note: The picture of the "black" bag used here is NOT a picture of the spinner model, but no worries, a spinner is what you will get. Use the Red and Volt pix for reference.

5/17/13 edited to add: pictures have been updated, the black bag shown now is indeed the spinner. Flying with this bag for several months, mostly Delta, no problems with carry-on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Volt = Green, July 24, 2012
This is a well made (China) bag that should work well for any traveler. The four spinner wheels make it very versitile. One thing to note, the Volt color which appears to be yellow on my screen is really a light green when the bag arrives. This was fine as the point was to have a bag that is more readily recognizable on the luggage carousel (should you actually check a bag).

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT a carry on, December 24, 2012
If you are flying on airline such as United or Delta, this suitcase is NOT a carry one. Their length limitation is 22 inches, including wheels. This suitcase has a length of 24 inches including wheels.

[...]

The seller lists the length of the suitcase without including the wheels. However, the airlines do include the wheels in their measurement limitations.

By the way, if you buy this suitcase and decide to return it, be warned that you will be paying the shipping costs. I learned this lesson the hard way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, yet everything I needed., July 1, 2013
E. Jensen (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews
I recently completed a two-week holiday in Europe with this bag. It packed everything I needed, and kept me from bringing more than I should. The spinner wheels were beautiful for walking through airports and they worked well on concrete pavement and carpet. I was so pleased not to have to struggle with my luggage. This is a carry-on size bag, but at the upper limit of that range, and I checked it instead of trying to bring it with me. The bag does not have a lock loop on the main zipper and a lock is not included. I solved this by locking the two zipper pulls together with a TSA-approved lock and had no problem with that. There are two outside pockets: one for a laptop and a smaller one, maybe for electric cords. Inside, the bag has an elastic band for holding items in place. There is a zippered mesh pocket and a waterproof zippered pocket in the lid, plus the bag came with a transparent, zippered, quart-size baggie for liquids.

I bought the "volt" color, which is a kind of fluorescent greeny-yellow, and I'm glad I did because it really stood out on the luggage carousels when most of the others were black. There are handles on three sides, making it easy to lift and handle in any orientation. The interior fabric seems thin, and one can feel the handle mechanism through it, but it held up well during my travels. On the exterior, the fabric is a tough woven synthetic. After two international and four domestic flights, not to mention two weeks of bumping around the continent, it looks as good as new. When I was shopping for this bag, I found less expensive brands, but I'm glad I purchased this one and I'm looking forward to traveling with it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, July 24, 2012
We bought a black 21' spinner 2 years ago and we've been using it all the time! Still pretty new and sturdy, especially the handle and wheels, top notch!! When I found Amazon offer 20% on selected luggage, I immediately took the advantage to order another one, red body, black frame, and much lower price. I can't be happier! They're going to be our handy companion for upcoming Las Vegas trip. Highly highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not "legal" carry on with United, October 31, 2013
Just got two of these. Love design build and look. But just compared to aging Samsonite carry on, and this model is significantly larger. Measures two inches longer than what United says is allowable and I mostly fly United. So, sending it back. Seems dumb that Samsonite markets a carry on that is not quite small enough for the largest Airline in the US.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to my expectations, December 18, 2012
J. Fink (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
We have two 21" Samsonite carry-on bags that we bought almost 15 years ago. Some of the zipper pulls had come off, the handles were loose, the wheels on one of them didn't turn well, and they had some small rips. My wife persuaded me to replace one of them, and after reading many reviews, I selected a 21" Aspire for its combination of features and price. The old bags held a great deal of clothing, especially when I used Eagle "pack-it" containers. They had traveled several hundred thousand miles. With inset wheels, they also fit easily in any overhead compartment.

The new suitcase looks good and also holds a lot of clothes. However, the zipper on the outer compartment came off its track the first time we put it through check-in. Also, while the spinner wheels make it easy to maneuver around an airport, they prevent the bag from fitting lengthwise in some standard overhead compartments, requiring that I become one of those obnoxious frequent flyers who takes up more than their allotted storage space. I got the new bag in red, figuring it would be easier to spot on the carousel than our old navy ones. Who knew that, as far as suitcases go, "red is the new blue?"

My wife now uses the new bag (she generally checks it). I found a local luggage repair shop that fixed the old ones for $30 each. I figure I'll use them for another 15 years and then consider replacing them.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it, April 15, 2013
I purchased it a few months ago, but had no occasion to use it until today (going on a trip.) The main handle fell off as soon as I picked it up with a few items in it. Since it is more than 30 days, cant return it even though it had never been used. Moreover, i need it for a trip (even with broken handle). Return policy wont do anything for me. Total rip off. Will not be back.

Samsonite Luggage Aspire Sport Spinner 21 Expandable Bag