Published 9 months ago by Mathlete

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
Pros:
Great wheels. You can both spin and pull on these wheels.
You get best of spinner and upright benefits.
Better than Silhouette Sphere wheels.

Good size with lots of useful pockets.

Cons:
Cheap thin zippers that sometimes catches.
Compared to Silhouette, the zipper was half the thickness.

Cheap thin handle
Published 11 months ago by First time Wusthof Buyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits in Overhead of Boeing 700 Series, Airbus 300 Series, and MD 80s - Not on Regional Jets., May 12, 2014
I must admit that i am extremely happy with this purchase and think it is a great value for the price on Amazon. However, I had realistic expectations of what could be carried on in today's market of airlines squeezing every inch of space they can in the compartments. Also, i realize that you have some airline travelers who but small back packs, coats and other items that could easily fit under the seat that make it difficult (if not impossible) to get this or any other boarding bag in an overhead bin. that being said, this bag will not fit in regional jets or smaller planes. It will also not fit under the seat of any US Airways general boarding seat. But it will fit on larger aircraft. Essentially, If the plane you are flying on has a row of 3 seats across a row of 2 or more seats, this will EASILY fit overhead. Those would be your Boeing 7XX, Airbus 3XX, MD 8X, etc. If you upgrade to a seat that has extra legroom on United or Delta, there will be tons of extra room for you to put this bag under the seat in front of you while still having space to move your legs. Beware of US Air, as their upgraded economy seats only get you on the plane faster - there is no extra legroom.

The bag is very nice and built like all Samsonite bags - SOLID. There is plenty of room inside to pack for a 4 day business trip. I used some eBag Packing Cubes and was able to get four slacks, four dress shirts, two blazers, under clothes, socks, and a toiletry bag easily inside. That left plenty of room for my laptop and iPad. When I tried packing a pair of running shoes for the trip, it became tight, but they did fit with a little bulging at the front.

The bag is also easier to carry/roll than Samsonite's Sphere series. Tou can easily roll this bag on all four wheels or pull it behind you on two wheels. The Samsonite Sphere series is much harder to roll behind you.

All in all a really great bag that will get a ton of use from me without causing me to pay the airline's checked baggage fee.

4.0 out of 5 stars good quality, dimensions wrong, March 1, 2014
I just received this bag and will be using it for the first time tomorrow. The quality of the bag seems good - consistent with other Samsonite luggage I've had. The wheels seem to roll well, zippers are heavy duty, and the material is thick/sturdy.

The reason for the 3 star vs 4-5 star is the dimensions. I specifically wanted a spinner bag that would fit under the coach seat in front of me on most airlines. I looked at this bag on several websites and the dimension were always listed as 17" tall, 14" wide, and 7.5" thick. The only way I can get close to these measurement is by measuring the interior of the main compartment. The external dimensions are 21.5" high (this includes the wheels on the bottom and the handle on the top), 14.5" wide (this was the closest of the dimensions to be accurate), and 10" thick (this includes the thickness of the 2 front pockets when they are empty and the back that contains the telescoping handle). Given these measurements, I'm concerned about whether the bag will fit under the seat in front of me. I've got 4 flights planned in the next two weeks. I'll update the review after those flights and adjust the star rating as appropriate.

UPDATE: I've changed the rating from 3 to 4 stars. As I mentioned the dimensions on the height of the bag were way off, I think they did not include the wheels and the handle in the measurement. However, I'm happy to report the bag did fit under most window and middle seats. It does not always fit under the seat in an aisle seat. It seems that the bar under the seat on the aisle side is inset from the edge of the seat so the actual under the seat area is smaller for aisle seats. Also, occasionally on the middle seat, there is a box hanging underneath the seat that creates some challenges depending on two things 1) how big the box is and how stuffed the bag is. The bag does stick out a couple of inches from the seat in front of me, but not enough to be a bother unless you have long legs (I don't). I took pics to post and show but unfortunately I do not see how to add pics, only video. :-(

PS: Someone asked about the overhead bins - fits in there with no problem, room to spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best investments ever!, September 17, 2014
I was very worried that I would purchase a bag that would not fit the overhead compartment on an international flight. This year, we were flying Air France, and they required the carry on bag to be 55 cm (l) x 35 cm (w) x 25 cm (h). That is roughly 21 x 13 x 9 inches including the wheels, the handle, and the outer pocket.
When I got this bag home, it met the exact measurements I needed exactly! It is slightly smaller than another rose colored Samsonite bag that I have that is about 23" in height.
I used this bag to roll through the airport and onto the plane. I was able to add a carry on bag that had a strap to slide over the handle. I hung a resuable bag over the back of the handle that carried my jacket, pillows, etc.
I looked at so many pieces of luggage both online and in the stores. I went in and measured many pieces that were called carry on luggage.
I really recommend this bag in particular, and the four wheel design for ease in manuvering the airport and the plane's aisles.

4.0 out of 5 stars A big improvment, August 12, 2014
I got this for my wife who travels for work and has to carry 2 laptops. (one for backup and yes they crash at the worst times) Rolls easy and the handle is fine. A big improvement over her old 2 wheel bag. Some reviews state it will fall over on it's face. Well, yes it will if you aren't careful. BUT even with a 15" laptop and a Surface Pro in the front pocket and a 15" laptop in the top of the maim compartment (Yes that's 3, putting a lot of weight in the front of the bag.) she doesn't have a problem. She just rolls it backwards to swivel the wheels to the front before she lets go of it. That's just common sense.

Disadvantage: A 15" laptop will barely fit in the front laptop pocket. You can't just toss it in and zip it up. You have to push it down and tuck it under the top zipper before you zip it up. Another 1/4" would have been helpful. This is the only thing that kept it from getting 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, I like it a lot., August 8, 2014
Perfect size for short (3-4) day trips of for my kids on longer trips. I got them for my kids, and they're the perfect size....so easy for them to roll around. Even jam-packed, my 3 year old can push this around in the airport. However, she's to short to drag it behind her because the back of it still drags on the ground. My 5 year old (almost 4') can pull it behind him without that problem (as can adults). I didn't want to get the cheap kids' suitcases as we travel a lot. I wanted something that would last. These definitely seem to live up to that. My only main complaint is that I wish there were a strap or netting inside to keep things orderly in the event that it isn't totally full. Things will move around inside it if it's not full. Another minor thing I would have liked is a netting on the side for a water bottle. It can fit in any overhead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, March 11, 2014
First time Wusthof Buyer (Fullerton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Pros:
Great wheels. You can both spin and pull on these wheels.
You get best of spinner and upright benefits.
Better than Silhouette Sphere wheels.

Good size with lots of useful pockets.

Cons:
Cheap thin zippers that sometimes catches.
Compared to Silhouette, the zipper was half the thickness.

Cheap thin handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Handles beautifully!!!, January 23, 2014
I just took this little beauty for a spin and she handles smoothly and effortlessly. This bag made my travels simple!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a little bit too heavy. Have lots of ..., October 5, 2014
It's a little bit too heavy. Have lots of space inside but not ideal if the airline's limitation of weights for carry-ons is about 7kg because the suitcase is already 3.5kg.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my spinner, July 11, 2014
I love my spinner. Great size and love the color, What I love most is how it just glides without any effort to push or pull. I have arthritis and it's perfect for me. my daughter borrowed it for her trip and "kept forgetting to give it back". :} I think she was hoping would forget she had it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit a 15.6" laptop, March 26, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite 15.6" laptop and it's too big to fit in the allotted laptop sleeve. I can't zip it closed with laptop in sleeve. The desciption specifically notes it fits 15.6" laptops. It does fit with my work laptop which is a 14" Dell. I may need to return.

Samsonite Luggage Hyperspace XLT Spinner Boarding Bag