Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Update: The IATA was threatening to reduce the allowable size of a carry on to 21.5" x 13.5" x 7.5" (So far, as of June 2015 they've dropped this, but you never know.) The smaller bag in this set is 21", unlike most bags which are usually 22". However it's two inches longer than allowed and we watched people forced to check a bag (and pay) that didn't fit into a gauge at an American airport this summer. So this set, with the "boarding bag" may well be useful. Hence, I updated the review to add a star. If you have this set, you may find there are situations where one of the bags is going to be the one you need to use.

The These bags look like a good deal for a set of two--a checked and a carry-on. But the set is really two carry-on bags, one 21" carry-on size and one laptop or "boarding bag" carry-on size. So be careful.

The "boarding bag" or smaller bag is more like a laptop roller, and the larger bag is a 21" bag that is the standard sized "rollaboard" which most of us own. As you are allowed ONE carry-on bag on board and ONE personal piece (briefcase, handbag or small backpack) you may NOT to be able to carry on both of these bags onboard at the same time.

However, if you want a set of lightweight carry-ons of two different sizes--then this may work for you. Nothing wrong with the bags--they are lightweight but sturdy. However, size-wise, may not be what you need. Here are the dimensions:

The dimensions for the carry-on-sized piece are 21" x 15" 7.5"

The dimensions for the "boarding bag" sized piece are 15" x 14" X 7.5.

The set has all-directional spinner wheels, but I find those more of use on big suitcases, especially hard sides. It's nice to have them on these bags, but not essential.

The weight of each bag is about 6 lbs, which IS very lightweight; standard 21" bags tend to weigh in around 9lbs so this is helpful for lifting up the carry-on into the overhead.

If you take regional air, the smaller carry-on could be useful because some of those overhead compartments are very cramped, or...if you only need to take a change of a few clothes and are using the carry-on for photo equipment, you don't need the larger 21"--so that option is nice to have. The smaller of the two bags could also work for a child (though if they pack their stuffed toys, it could end up being too small. Small stature doesn't equal small amount of stuff!)

The smaller piece opens at the top of the front flap so you can remove your laptop for going through airport screening. The smaller sized bag is reported to have only enough room in the front pocket for a smaller laptop or netbook. For a large laptop, it would go in the main compartment. The larger of the two is a standard 21" carry-on.

The small bag is shipped inside the larger bag, so you can store them that way also.

The smaller piece opens at the top of the front flap so you can remove your laptop for going through airport screening. The larger is, as I said, the standard 21" carry-on or rolling case.

Summary: At the sale price, this is about the cost of a 21" carry-on, so you are essentially getting an extra bag for free. But if you are looking at this as a full luggage set (checked bag and carry-on) you really want at least a 24" or 25" and the 21" for typical use. These are nice, rugged bags that don't weigh too much. If you need a very small carry-on as an option, this set is great. If you are looking for a checked-carry-on combination set, this isn't what you want, unless you typically check a 21" bag.
2828 comments| 443 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2012
I received these today and they are as pictured - two bags both on spinners. The tote is the smaller bag pictured and just right for your laptop and enough clothes for an overnight stay. They are nice looking, light, and yet still feel tough. I purchased them on off the amazon daily deals for $139.99 and that was a steal!
on September 25, 2012
I picked these up on an Amazon Lightning Deal for $139, even though I did not need them. I couldn't tell from the picture, really, what they would look like or dimensions. But with kids doing overnights, it seemed a safe buy. They arrived, and I didn't even open the box until last night and goodness, WOW ! These are absolutely gorgeous, solid, sturdy, well-made, beautifully stitched in red..luxury cases!

My grandson grabbed the small one, stating, I can take this to school! I said, "no, it's a suitcase". He proceeded to open it and show me the compartments for notebooks, pencils, etc., and promptly overtook the small "tote". Today, he left for school without a 20-pound backpack, happily towing his Samsonite. He said other kids were using the even larger size rolling case for books, so on a really heavy day, he can use either. I will have to fight him to use even the larger piece of luggage.

UPDATE: I have now started teaching. My textbooks weight about fifty lbs each! In the larger case, I can fit all my texts plus student files that need to be lugged around from class-to-class. It amazing how many people have stopped to ask where I got my 4-wheeled case, and how many have started using them. Remember, you don't have to "tilt" these. You can roll them upright, balance your purse on top and navigate through crowds easily! Can't imagine what I'd have done without these.

What a deal !! I'd gladly pay even the regular Amazon price for these. GORGEOUS!
22 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2012
I would be careful about getting too excited with four spinning wheels on luggage. They are fine if you are only going to travel within the US, however; if you are planning on using the luggage in Europe, you can easily have three wheels within a short amount of time...maybe even less wheels. They just do not hold up on cobblestone streets. I've had Samsonite luggage and was quite happy with it until I started to travel to Europe. They fell apart quickly. I'm not criticizing Samsonite as I've heard the same concerning other brands using four spinning wheels. The rough streets tear them apart. We considered Samsonite on our recent purchase of luggage but went with Briggs&Riley as they have a lifetime guarantee: even if the airline is to blame, they fix it no questions asked. Even the Briggs-Riley person advised me not to use four wheels for foreign travel with uneven streets. We got two wheels and they spin just as easily. This is just a warning that one might want to take into consideration. FYI.
55 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2012
I received these just before a 7-day cruise, and used the larger one as a carry on. It was perfect!! The roller feature was awesome and kept me moving!!

The following week, I had a 4-day business trip. Got all clothes, etc in the larger one with room to spare, and used the smaller one as a computer carry-on on a VERY SMALL regional jet!! It fit in the overhead with no problems, while my co-worker had to leave his carry on computer bag to the airline, because it wouldn't fit!!

I couldn't be happier with the purchase!!

I would only recommend a way to tie the two together, that was my only improvement suggestion.
on August 12, 2013
Bags are definitely high quality. The "large" bag is basically a big carry-on. The small bag is..... small! Not a great value when bought on "special" for $130. But then again, maybe it's just a fair price, but definitely not a bargain.
on August 12, 2013
1. The smaller luggage stores inside the larger one
2. Both are pretty light and easy rolling
3. Set looks nice and not cheap.
4. I like mesh packets for smaller items.
on December 3, 2012
This set includes:
15 Inch Spinner tote
21 Inch Spinner

Positive:
High quality fabrics used, attractive design.
Light weight, may be the lightest in this category.
Price, just for the brand I would not pay more than $150 for this 2 piece set.

Negative:
Except the bag on its own spinner, no other base have any support to ground. If you just slide the bag other than spinner, you may damage the fabric. Ideally it should include an additional base support which can protect the bag from the surface touching ground.
The zipper puller is non metal, so you have to put a lock through the non metal puller which can easily be damaged by a small utility knife.

I would say, if only you are going to handle the bag through the journey like, as an carry on, or as a office laptop bag (tote), you are fine, but it is not good for using it as a heavy duty bag.
on December 7, 2013
It's just "Ok". I'm a heavy traveler.
Pro's:
1. There is enough room for me to pack for a week or two of travel (I always get laundry service) including all the hard copy files I'll need.
2. Good quality construction (except wheels).
3. Looks...like luggage
Cons:
1. Poor balance when going over imperfect surfaces. I have to put a lot of strain on the handle with my wrist to keep it upright.
2. Poor wheel design. Cheap and single wheel. Some luggage has wider or double wheels. Doesn't look like they'll hold up over time. I'll update when I get through my first winter with this item.
3. When (not if) the zipper tabs break, you won't be able to lock the zipper.

Overall: I like some aspects of the luggage but it's still not close to Travelpro. I'll go back to my Crew carry on for my next piece of luggage. Although I like the swivel 4way wheels, I would like to see better design. I lose some space with these wheels but the Samsonite appears to have the largest carry on with swivel wheel.
on September 14, 2012
I usually don't need much when I travel, so this 2 piece set is more than enough for me. Great Samsonite quality as expected. You can fit much more in these bags than the size depicts, and the larger bag is still small enough for most carry-on options. These are very nice looking bags and I highly recommend this set.