5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality. A nice replacement for my last carry-on bag.
I travel a lot and have gone through 3 roll aboard suit cases in the past 5 years. This Samsonite Silhouette is far superior to its predecessors in ways that are important to me as a frequent traveler.

Published on March 22, 2012 by D. Brennan

3.0 out of 5 stars Superlight Weight, 4-Wheeler; Beware Can't Overpack
Published 18 months ago by C. Cheng

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality. A nice replacement for my last carry-on bag., March 22, 2012

1 - The wheels roll smoothly both in an upright and angled position. My previous 'gliding' luggage had an awkward transition between the two modes that led to frequent tripping. The wheels are also VERY quiet. That is helpful when I'm leaving my building at 4AM to get to the airport. Neighbors get annoyed at noise at that hour.

2 - Zippers and stitching all seem very solid.

3 - The space is well designed with room for expansion, good pocket design and different colored zipper pull tags for the expansion zipper as compared to the main zippers.

4 - It pairs perfectly with the Samsonite briefcase I purchased: Samsonite Classic Two Gusset 15.6" Toploader

5 - the price was right. Amazon was thirty bucks cheaper than Macy's sale price.

6 - The bag is lighter than its size suggests. It fits in most overhead bins with the exception of regional shuttles. Then again, anything larger than a purse doesn't fit in those overhead bins, so it's not a knock on this bag.

I am happy with the Samsonite Silhouette and recommend it to anyone in the market for a new carry on suitcase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag. Great feel. But tips forward if you're not careful, March 31, 2012
This bag fits wheels-first in the overhead compartment of 737 aircraft. It's deep enough and wide enough to fit plenty of clothing. It does lack a good interior zipped, mesh storage area for shorts, however. It does have separate zipped wet area and two smaller mesh zippered areaa. The handle feels a little flimsy (Samsonite has tried to keep the bags weight to a minimum), but it has worked fine so far. The biggest issue is that when you put a laptop in the front exterior pocket, this bag easily tips forward. Would be better if it had just a little lean toward the back. But still, I really like this bag. It glides easily, can roll sideways through airplane aisles, has a very light empty weight, and fits easily into overhead compartments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Superlight Weight, 4-Wheeler; Beware Can't Overpack, January 20, 2013
I'm a Samsonite fan and have always had Samsonite bags. I recently bought this bag and love how lightweight it is. It's also a 4-wheeler, which makes for effortless transit at the airport. To reduce the weight, the bag while technically has a frame, it's only in the corner and edges, the retractable handle is also lightweight Alumunium. It's also expandable, which is nice. The outside has two pockets: a smaller 1/2 pocket for smaller items and a full length pocket that's pretty roomy, for magazines and papers.

Well,on my first use, I discovered that the handle will not extend fully when the suitcase was fully packed. So I emptied the bag to return it and the handle worked again. I called a Samsonite store to ask and they told me it's a quirk of this bag. Due to the lightweight frame, including the handle casing, if you pack the bag full and the weight presses on the handle casing inside the bag, the handle will get stuck. I didn't really believe them and asked for an exchange, which they gladly gave me with no hassle. Well, the second bag has exactly the same problem. It doesn't happen every time and I'm more careful with my packing to not put something hard right on of top of the handle inside, which seemed to do the trick even when I pack it pretty full. But occasionally, the handle will get stuck mid-way up. I can still roll the bag this way given the 4-wheels and I considered returning this bag entirely, but hate to give up the lightweight (it's half the weight of other Samsonites I looked at, and makes it easy for me to lift the bag into overhead bins on planes).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits So Much Stuff!!!, December 30, 2012
I just returned from a 10 day trip and this luggage was perfect. The size of it is deceiving. I was able to pack 3 pairs of shoes, about 35 pieces of clothing, intimates, a flat iron and hair accessories. I did have to use the expansion zipper but even so, it still fit perfectly in the overhead bin on the plane. The construction of the luggage is solid. I did not have a problem with any of the zippers, it rolled smoothly and the shade of blue is beautiful. I cannot wait to use this for another trip!

Edit: Travel tip - rather than stacking my clothes on top of one another, I rolled all of my pants together and then put them in the luggage, then rolled all of my shirts together, etc. It's a great way to maximize the space of any luggage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Roomy Carry On!, October 29, 2012
I recently purchased this item after thoroughly researching the carry on luggage market. I chose this bag specifically because of a number of favorable reviews as well as the item's reasonable price tag and aesthetic appeal. I took my first trip with it this weekend and was pleased with the bag's lightness, the quality of the material, zippers, and wheels, and its capacity to fit a weekend's worth of clothes and accessories comfortably. Overall, I am pleased with this purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Suitcase, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Samsonite Silhouette 12 21" Spinner Luggage (Apparel)
The Samsonite suitcase looks very nice on the insides. When I first received it, I started to send it back because it had something like white stains on the outside. I had seen it at Macy's for about $30 more. I wish the wheels were a little bigger and stronger for the streets. I am always afraid they are going to break. I like the compartment in the back for papers and magazines. I had trouble with one of the zippers when I was trying to zip it all the way around. It gets a little easier the longer I have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Samsonite Silhouette 12 21" Spinner Luggage (Apparel)
I own the 25" version of this spinner and love it so much, but wanted a carry on version and this hit the spot. Perfect size, well built, love it! I think they are working on the handle. On the larger (my older) one, the handle was a bit stiff and tiny hard to get down, and this one is too easy to go down - I hit the button by mistake periodically and down it goes. But that is small potatoes, This bag is a gem, and take the weight off of you and rolls all on it's own. I am 100% satisfied!

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it till the zipper broke in the first 6 months, December 31, 2011
S. Drake "elaine" (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this at a store and loved the ease of use of the spinner wheels. Way easier to manage at the airport as I use this as a carry on. We have used it at least 15-20 times but the front zipper has broken and we have not had it a year.

I still use it but can't use the front pocked. I think for all the money I paid on it it should have lasted longer. I probably won't spend as much on a carry on again as I don't see much difference in how long it lasts me.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT business carry-on, BUT..., September 9, 2012
Sir Gawain (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsonite Silhouette 12 21" Spinner Luggage (Apparel)
I did quite a bit of comparative research before ultimately deciding on this suitcase. This bag is excellent by most measures. It is light but very sturdy and the workmanship is very good. It is exactly the approved carry-on size required by most airlines and therefore I never have a problem fitting it in the overhead. I love the inside built in mesh and wet pockets and the suit sleeve. The big BUT that was the cause of MUCH aggravation at the airport was the laughable lock that that came with the bag. It was flimsy and despite following the directions to the letter to reset the lock combination, apparently the combination didn't take but the lock also lost the default combination, so it became impossible to open it. Thankfully, a TSA agent managed to bust it open without damaging the bag (the first time the TSA did something useful). For that I knock off a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for carry on, April 1, 2013
I purchased this for my wife so that she would have a carry on to compliment mine that I use for business travel. It is sturdy, can hold enough for her to travel for 4 days, which says quite a bit, and easy to maneuver through the airport.

Rate and Discover Movies