Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on May 18, 2012
I bought this lock strap (black ones) for my recent trip abroad, i.e., US - The Nethelands - India - Thailand - India - France - US. The reason I need this strap is because the combination lock of my hard case luggage has been a little worn out from the past years. So, another lock strap like this do provide me the peace of mind when travel via those airports that are known for luggage thefts.

Here are some more feedback of this strap:

- The strap is long enough and can be adjusted to wrap around my thick 38 in. hard case
- The strap looks like it's made from polyester material, thus it is quite strong and durable
- The housing of the lock and combination is a sturdy plastic. There is no moving parts except the lock buckle from the other end of the strap.
- Changing the combination is quite simple (read the easy to follow instruction). I like the design of that button that has to be pushed down to release the lock

So far, I am quite pleased with it. It does it job quite alright. For sure, it won't last forever but so far it survived 6 plane changes without any scratches. I figure that it should last another 2-3 trips like this. By that time it should already paid itself off.

As usual, shipping was quite fast - got to me within 24 hrs after I put in the order (using that free 2-day shipping).

*** UPDATED 08/06/2012 ***
Happened to be at an outlet and stop by at the Samsonite store this past weekend. Found the same model on the shelf with big SALES sign on it. Guess what, it was still $24.99 plus tax !!
So, no brainer, if I am ever in need for a replacement, I'll order it again.

** UPDATED 03/31/2013 **
I used the the strap for my business trip to Europe in December'12 and March'13. So far, it is still working well. No scratch marks nor any ding or dent that should have come from the large baggage handling hub in London and Paris. At this time, I am convinced it will last a lot longer than I initially thought. Hence, I change the rating from 4 to 5 star.

*** UPDATED 10/23/2013 ***
Adding two more international trips US-France-US and US-France-Thailand-India-France-US the second trip my luggage was miss routed to a few more airports before it was finally sent to me in Thailand. Anyhow, the strap still works just like new, there is no serious damage or scratches. Not showing any signs of aging.
44 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2012
I bought this from another auction style website but it was new and unopened. I was quite nervous as I saw a few reviews about no instructions. I opened the package, took the strap out and then removed the cardboard that was behind the strap in the package. The instructions were a smallish piece of white paper in between the 2 pieces of cardboard. You have to actually pull the cardboard apart, it doesn't fall out on it's own.

It's very easy to set. For those who can't find their instructions or they are missing:

Push the button on the bottom to open the lock section.
Inside at the top there is a small square metal piece, lift that up (it comes up quite a bit)
Set your desired combination
Push metal piece back down
DONE.

Strap is strong and fits around my case great.
on December 24, 2012
When I ordered the item I was worried about it sliding when closing it like others do. I tested it and found that the secondary belt slides when closed, but I'm happy to find out that the main hitch doesn`t slide at all, so the suitcase is kept closed and can't be opened whitout the combination or the tsa key.
It also has a green point that turns red when the suitcase has been opened in the border with a tsa key, so it's a way to find out it has been checked.
on December 15, 2013
I just got one of these, and the first thing I did was to try to loosen the buckle while it's locked. You can't do it. You can tighten it, but you can't loosen it. I think the person that wrote the review was under the impression that the adjustment section of the belt that prevents slack is what secures the diameter of the belt (that can be adjusted, but it has nothing to do with securing the belt length). The belt length (which you obviously want to be as small / tight as possible without putting unreasonable pressure on the luggage) is adjusted on the male lock connector. Once it's adjusted and locked, it can't be loosened. Maybe if a person had tools and an hour, but the lock is not intended to be bullet proof -- the strap could be cut with a pair of scissors. The purpose of the strap is to keep curious baggage handlers and other folks that will have brief access to your luggage out of it, and to prevent a suitcase from inadvertently opening. This product will most certainly do that. If you're looking for something more ironclad, you'll need hard-shell luggage and padlocks. This device is plastic and nylon, and anyone with serious intent could of course get into it. But anyone with serious intent could also cut a slit through a nylon suitcase. Overall, seems to be a really well made product and it looks like it will do a good job at what it's intended for. I will update this thread if the lock disappoints me over time.
on January 1, 2014
So there is a lock on these straps but no way to lock the adjustment, so all you have to do is loosen the adjustment and the straps can be loosened without opening the lock. I could have just used any type of strap the lock is pointless unless it's extended all the way. One star is a gift on this product.
on March 24, 2013
Bought this strap for my Samsonite oyster hard-shell suitcase. The plastic lock broke apart on my first trip! When I claimed my suitcase at the airport, the face of the lock has broken in half and the whole combination lock mechanism was gone. Samsonite offers no warranty for this strap. Save your money and look for something else!
on March 17, 2013
This is the type of strap that has a buckle used to tighten it around your luggage. The buckle is separate from the locking mechanism. When the strap is tight around your luggage it is very easy to loosen the buckle, it has no locking mechanism. It is really worthless if someone wants to remove it!
on July 20, 2014
OK ... I read all the reviews on this and many other straps, what I found to be the obvious problem was that you can loosen the adjustment and slide the strap off the luggage. I found these in a local salvage store a few weeks ago for around $5 and figured it was worth the price. I just got around to looking at them and setting the combination and I realized something. The adjustment of the strap cannot easily be LOOSENED with the lock in place. The routing of the loop that "adjusts" is such that it must be at 90 degrees to the buckle to move in both directions. This is very hard to do if the strap in on a piece of luggage and is locked. I did find that in that locked position, you can TIGHTEN the strap and then move the excess strapping via the movable buckle to take up the slack. I think it was designed this way, so you can put the strap on and then "cinch" it tighter to your desired position. You need to unlock the strap in order to loosen the adjustment. This was very enlightening and made this strap pretty secure. Just another thought, if used on a piece of "hard" luggage that has an edge near 90 degrees, I suppose you could slide the strap around to where the buckle is over that edge and the strap then hangs down 90 degrees, you could then loosen it. I think these would work best on a duffle or soft luggage. Of course someone can still easily cut it off, but these straps are only meant to be a deterrent, and must be viewed as such.
on August 8, 2012
After several emails to Samsonite and endless searches on the internet I finally found a Samsonite worker who could figure out how to set the combination - and he did it by tinkering with it, not by following any instructions. The instructions that were emailed to me were awful. Setting the lock was actually easy once you knew what to do. The instructions do not tell you where the lever is in the strap. The lever that you have to pull is inside the mechanism. You have to open the lock and then inside the plastic inner workings there is a silver metal lever down by the button. It doesn't look like a lever, mind you, but you pull this away from the plastic and then you see that it is a lever. Once you do this, the rest is as easy as setting your 3 digit number. All of my struggles could have been avoided had Samsonite included a instruction page WITH A DIAGRAM in the package.

The strap worked fine but was difficult to tighten once it was on the suitcase and you can't tighten it as tightly as you need to before you strap it because then you can't close it. The strap stayed on all the way to Europe and back. I would've given this a higher rating if it hadn't been such a hassle to figure out how to set the lock.
44 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2013
The product photos show a different product that what was received. TSA lock is on the side as opposed to the front. No big deal. What is a big deal is the product pictures have a metal male end, plastic buckle. Product delivered, is ALL plastic. Photos should be updated to represent the actual product you will receive.