5.0 out of 5 stars A TSA approved Luggage Lock that works
Published on April 21, 2012 by Dotun B. Ayansina

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lock, but has one issue
Published 17 months ago by Andres

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lock, but has one issue, March 2, 2013
Last time I travelled, over $500 of electronics were stolen from my checked luggage. The morons from United Airlines do not take any sort of responsability for "lost" items (lost is an euphemism for stolen) because they blame TSA. The moral of the story is to never put electronics (or any expensive items for that matter) in your checked luggage unless you really have no choice. Furthermore, get a TSA approved lock. Locks aren't fool proof, but think about it this way: If you were a petty thief working for an airline company, airport, or the TSA, would you steal from a locked bag, or one of the many unlocked ones? Ok, I'll stop ranting and get back to the review.

I really like the lock; it looks cool and, at least on the outside, appears to have high quality. The feature that lets you see if a TSA officer has opened the lock is my favorite part of the lock.

So why did I rate it 3 stars? Well, I just don't think it's too secure. I know that a lock is better than no lock and is not supposed to prevent theft, but simply make it less likely to occur. but still, it's a little too insecure. Why is that? I'm glad you asked! (yes, I'm talking to myself). Here are a few reasons:

1) It only has three digits. 1000 possible combinations is not that much. If I can try two combinations per second, I can break into your lock in just over 8 minutes. Ok, 8 minutes is better than nothing. Well, opening this lock may be a little easier than trying all combinations.

2) I'm an idiot and I figured out how to crack the lock. It takes about 30 seconds to open it. Try it yourself. Throught the entire process, pull on the handle with a constant force (it doesn't have to be that hard). Move the bottom number and see how much force you need to rotate the middle number. You'll notice that the middle number doesn't rotate as easily when the bottom number is set to the correct digit. Voila, one down, two to go. Then, move the middle number until the top number becomes harder to rotate. Two down, one remaining. Finally, move the top number until the lock opens. Lock open!

If it weren't for this issue, I would love it. Regardless, even if it buys you 30 seconds, it's better than no protection at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TSA approved Luggage Lock that works, April 21, 2012
This luggage lock is by Samsonite; the well renowned luggage manufacturer. It is TSA approved meaning that TSA agents can inspect your luggage without destroying your bag and/or the lock. It also has an added feature that let's you know that the lock was opened by a TSA agent. This is a good feature to have which will make you verify that your luggage is still intact. Overall it is a good lock and it is money well spent. The instructions are quite straight forward and the combination lock is easy to personalise. I hope you enjoy the product as much as I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy lock ... did it's job, September 9, 2012
The lock works and setting your own combination is easy. Wish the loop part of the lock was thicker though ... looks and feels like that part of the lock can break fairly easily. Really liked the feature where you can tell whether TSA agents had opened your lock or not to check out the contents of your luggage.

4.0 out of 5 stars overall good, January 7, 2013
Works well. Only, it is a little bit hard to understand how to set the password by the first time. You need to push it very down inorder to change the psw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsonite travel locks, May 8, 2013
have used these before and I find them very good - so do the TSA, apparently, as very often in the course of my international travels, I find them missing after reaching home and seeing an "INSPECTED BY TSA" notice in my bag !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a lock, August 18, 2013
Rhonda (CHANNAHON, ILLINOIS, US) - See all my reviews
I like to travel and when I do I like to keep my bags locked. Before I leave home I put this lock on my bag and the TSA has the ability to open the lock and check my bags, if need be. They then put the lock back on. I also like to keep my bags locked while at hotels - this keeps my clothing and items secure from housekeeping and others while I am out sight seeing. I lock is a must when traveling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Color is Pink, February 3, 2013
Product is fine and works well - good solid metal construction
Note that the color is closer to Pink rather than the image which seems to be deep red

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lock, January 2, 2013
Puchased three of these locks, they are very sturdy , easy to set combination , even the outside of the lock is rounded and coated with rubber so when it rubs against the suitcase it will not rub or tear against anything. Will buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Solid TSA Combo Luggage Lock, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Samsonite Luggage 3 Dial Travel Sentry Combo Lock (Apparel)
For me, luggage locks have provided good service and some sort of peace of mind when traveling. Let's face it, if someone really wants to break into your valuables unless you have a heavy investment in seriously good locks, nothing will stop them. That said, I find these Samsonite combo locks to serve their purpose perfectly well. The combo is very easy to set or change, and having the side window allows you to easily see the numbers you are setting, as well as for opening. An added bonus is what Samsonite calls their "indicator feature." It is a little red color band that pops up to alert you that your luggage (ie the lock) has been opened. True, inspectors are supposed to leave their tag inside your luggage when they open and look but at least twice I have flown and I know someone went through my luggage and there was no such tag left. The indicator leaves no doubt that your lock was opened. Te indicator is also easy to reset. My locks are black. Other colors are available. I would definitely recommend these Samsonite TSA combo locks.

1.0 out of 5 stars The combination changed without me changing it, June 10, 2014
With how difficult it is to actually put in a personal combination I was surprised when I couldn't open my lock. I tried numerous times to open the lock using the combination I had been using the entire trip, when the locks changed the combination. I sat there and tried everything. Finally, I googled how to pick the lock open. Which actually worked. So the fact that it changed by itself, and the fact that it was relatively easy to pick the lock, I would not recommend this lock. Once I picked it I threw it out.

Samsonite Luggage 3 Dial Travel Sentry Combo Lock