Most helpful positive review
89 of 94 people found the following review helpful
Good construction, easy handling, but not my ideal bag for this size
on June 7, 2013
I own this suitcase in black, along with its 28" matching "sister". Bag will arrive in a cardboard box only slightly larger than the suitcase with minimal packaging. While I LOVE the 28" large version of this hardtop suitcase, I'm less enamored of the smaller, carry-on size.
1) 360 degree spinner wheels make it very easy to push or pull this bag. You can roll it on 2 wheels (like a traditional wheeled suitcase) or on all 4. When I need to transport 2 suitcases at once, I find it's very convenient to be able to push this bag next to me with little effort.
2) It's a nice looking suitcase set. Black is high-gloss so it stands out from all the matte black bags, but it isn't overly loud. This bag will show some scratches from TSA if you check it, but the high gloss does a nice job of reflecting the scratches so they aren't that noticeable.
3) It's very light-weight. This 20" is obviously pounds less than the soft-sided, nylon bag I had purchased previously (and still own). No problems with lifting this bag into the overhead compartments on planes.
4) This bag does have an expansion zipper so if you need a little more room, you can upzip that and give yourself another inch of depth.
1) While the split, side-by-side compartments is a great feature on the largest, 28" version of this suitcase, it's not very convenient for light packing. I'd rather have a small bag that opens to reveal one, deeper compartment so that I can stack up my clothes and easily pack larger or deeper items (boots, gifts, etc.). Other people might not mind the split, side-by-side packing for a small bag, but I think it's a negative in this size.
2) My bag has one wheel that squeaks slightly. Probably needs only a small adjustment, but it's annoying that I have to deal with any such issue on a new bag.
3) There are no external pockets on this. I never use the external pockets on a larger, only-to-be-checked suitcase, but I found on my latest trip that I missed having an exterior pocket on my carry-on bag. Again, others may not find this to be an issue.
On my most recent trip, my boyfriend used this bag. He was able to pack the following with no effort at closing the 20" bag:
- 1 pair men's dress shoes (size U.S. 11)
- 2 polo shirts (size large)
- 1 dress shirt
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 1 pair of dress khakis
- 3 pairs of socks
- small toiletry kit (about 8" in length)