5.0 out of 5 stars best kept secret on the Internet
Published on March 30, 2008 by J. Brown

These bags are pretty poorly made. The wheels on the large bag broke off after 3 flights. I took it to the Samsonite Outlet store and paid them 10 dollars to send it to the repair shop. They had it delivered to my house fixed up and it was fine, but I'm still not impressed.

Published on May 8, 2011 by dieburnbot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars best kept secret on the Internet, March 30, 2008
J. Brown (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
I received this set of lugggage and was amazed at the quality for the price. I did lot of preliminary shopping of price, value and quality and will say unequivocably that this set is the best bargain on the Internet. The fabric is as heavy as any more expensive set, good wheels, good zippers, right size pieces to use for traveling, whether for a weekend or a week. I'll be taking several trips in the near future and expect to get great usage out of this set. Having traveled a lot I understand the potential for luggage to receive a lot of abuse. I've been there. For the price/value this lugggage should hold up as well or better than sets at twice the price.
You won't find better for a good basic set of luggage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect luggage set for the perfect price!, July 5, 2008
AE185 (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Samsonite thought of everything. The set looks great and has tons of compartments. It's also very sturdy. I'd stick with the black set because colored sets get dirty after being handled in the airport. I use this set all the time and it's been perfect! This set is much cheaper than luggage you find in the department stores and it's far superior. I love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for the Price, Not Durable, Warranty Claims are difficult., May 8, 2011

The large duffel bag is weak. I only use it on overnight trips, but the inside compartments are falling apart. The inside walls that separate the compartments rip at the seams. If you want a quality bag try out the Kirkland Signature 27" luggage at Costco. It's kind of pricy at 99 dollars a bag, but it's built like a tank and it has a lifetime warranty that can be taken care of at any local Costco.

I can't really comment on the other 2 smaller pieces, because they hold so little they are next to useless to me so they didn't get much use from me. I do use the toiletry bag though and honestly that is the only bag that I really like out of this bundle, I think it is great and it has held up to a lot of abuse over the years.

As for the warranty repairs, the Samsonite Outlet that took care of my warranty near my home went out of business. Now, there is no place I can take my bag for warranty within 200 miles. I would be careful before buying these by making sure there is a repair shop somewhere near your house. They seem sparse and hard to find.

I rate them a 3 out of 5, because if you do need the amount of bags that are in this set it is difficult to find them at this price. This is a decent set for the money it sells for. However, if you normally just travel with one bag and don't really need a set I would just splurge on a single quality bag because it seems like they skimped on quality to keep the price low. Also, with their warranty centers being hard to find (unless you're lucky), I would treat them as disposables.

Happy travels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely best buy, December 1, 2008
This set is absolutely best buy in it's category. The quality is far better then what price would suggest. As for the zippers 'problem', it's the same like with all of the soft bags. Just a little bit more of extra caution and you'll be fine. I see no need in buying anything more expensive, especially when I have in mind that I travel a lot by plane.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great value, August 11, 2010
I purchased this set for an upcoming trip. All items were as described and were of high quality. This 5 piece set is a steal, and a complete value. Dealing with the company selling this item was great as well, shipping was fact ( under a week to ship across the country) and they communicated promptly whenever I had a question.

Hands down this is just a great set for the money, and on top of that Samsonite had a 10 year warranty, what could be better?

3.0 out of 5 stars good buy, May 3, 2011
Cons:
-craftsmanship is cheap, considering it's Samsonite
-Fabric is somewhat thin, not as bulky/thick as normal Samsonites are
-The pull-out handles in the rolling suitcases seem a little flimsy, the metal work is questionable and I always feel like "any day, this metal piece is going to come out..." then again, it hasn't, yet!

Pros:
-price is cheap, considering it's Samsonite
-relatively well made considering the price and how much of a steal it was. I've used these a few times and they seem to be pretty sturdy (no tears, problems with the fabric, or problems with the zippers). Nothing has broken, but like I said under the cons...it's definitely not as well made/sturdy as the more expensive Samsonites!
-good 5 piece set, but it's mainly the 2 rolling suitcases and the dufflebag that are useful. The other two are just too small or inconvenient to be used, especially now with the airlines forcing you to cut down on bags!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price, January 12, 2011
Bags had a decent black cloth exterior that appeared hardy. Luggage space was decent. The "5-count" is kinda a sham as one of the bags is a dob kit but that's kinda to be expected at this price. The bags have been on two round trip flights with no apparent wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for the value., April 21, 2009
Not the best out there but definitely a good buy for a new business person or a student.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, February 8, 2009
As a frequent business traveler, I have seen Samsonite everywhere and longing to get one for myself. It's design looks professional and sturdy. But with it's usually higher price tag, I didn't get one untill now.
First on hand experience is - cheap design and material. Try pulling the handle and retract it, not very smooth & sturdy as my swissgear - very lose.
Used it couple times, now get used to the handle. All in all, I think the quality should be acceptable with it's price tag. But not as good as I expected for a Samsonite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, January 4, 2011
It was a gift for my daughter-in-law. She needed a set of suitcases. I went on line and found the Samsonite Outpost 5 Piece nested Luggage Set - black on Amazon.com. It was made easy to order them, they came on time and most of all, she loved them a lot. I will use Amazon.com for shopping on line again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›