Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now HTL Entertainment Collectibles

on November 29, 2008
I've had this set for almost 3 years and have traveled on average once a month with the two rolling bags and smallest bag. The black does get dirty but is not hard to clean. We're not too hard on our Luggage, and mostly travel by car, but our set shows very little wear to date. The quality is good though I know that you can spend more money and get awesome quality. I would buy this set again.
on January 3, 2007
I guess I relied too much on the Samsonite name. I do now find the quality of this set to worth the price. The fit and finish are poor and the zippers do not work smoothly. I would NOT purchase this item again.
on August 31, 2008
On my 1st use the luggage broke. The bottom of the 26 inch suitcase broke and now will not stand by itself. I bought samsonite because i thought it was goin to be dependable i was wrong.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2011
I ordered this on November 12th, used it for the first time today, and the handle broke on my way to the airport!!! I'm a college student so I thought this will be a good investment for my constant travels, but I guess I was wrong. Extremely disappointed in Samsonite for this. If you value your money, please don't buy it. If I could rate it a 0, I would.
on January 9, 2012
We bought this luggage for a two week vacation to Florida that involved ALOT of packing and driving and moving about (4 cities total). Being a well recognized name in luggage, I was still surprised when it arrived and I was able to feel the strength and durability of the cases. The large one expands the additional 2" which turned out to be VERY handy. Even though we didn't bring the whole set with (leaving the larger bathroom case due to luggage costs of the evil airlines!) we still had MORE than enough room to pack for two weeks for two people and still have enough extra space to pack in additional junk we bought for people along the trip. I did see some of the other reviews about the zipper and handle being cheap or breaking. We weren't exactly easy on our luggage and did not have this issue, however I did notice that the handle seemed a bit flimsy when fully extended, but everything held up great!

Travel tote can double as a large bathroom bag and fits enough for two or more people easily.
The larger 26" rolling case is expandable by another 2", handy when you buy too many knick-knacks!
Strong bottom handles makes lifting into the car trunk a snap.
The adjustable locking handles on the 22 & 26" rolling cases have two height settings, good for people of different heights to easily pull along.
Add-on straps on the tops of the rolling bags allow you to put more luggage on wheels for easier walking with all your luggage.

The add-on straps on the 22 and 26" roller suitcases are positioned a bit too far back, causing them to easily shift weight and flop over while walking if your not careful. (This could be how some other people managed to break theirs on their first use?)
The shoulder strap on the duffel was quite flimsy and not padded, causing it to be uncomfortable on your shoulder when fully packed.

So one year later and now the handles on BOTH of the suitcases have broken! One broke in the extended position (while at the airport no less!) and the other one wont extend at all anymore, effectively reducing their transportability to almost nil... Let me tell you that having to drag your suitcase by the strap while walking in a half bent position when returning from an exhausting trip is NOT FUN! It's even worse when the smaller suitcase decides to crap out while your dealing with the large one. The suitcases worked excellent while they did work. I even took the liner out of the inside to see if I could fix it and the entire handle assembly had cracked on the larger one. The smaller suitcase handle assembly is jammed in a half extended position with the little pop-up buttons that lock it into place no longer retracting when you push the handle button thing in to raise/lower the handle.

Essentially, these two issues have rendered both suitcases completely useless and we will now have to replace them. Very sad since they were so great when they had worked in the beginning. Because of this, I have changed my rating from 4 stars to 2. If you don't mind replacing your luggage every 1-2 years, it's a great deal... but if your looking for something to last awhile, look somewhere else.
on October 20, 2011
I read all the reviews just like everyone else and just couldn't decide. I had a 20% off clothing coupon code (and this set was included) so I pulled the trigger. The set came and was about as expected and described just as everyone else said. My first reaction; the biggest bag was a little small. It was smaller than the one I got rid of by a few inches. So this is may not be a real big, long trip luggage set but it worked just fine for our 7 day cruise for 1 of us. It is quality and has a lot of pockets and roomy, just not as big as I would have liked. The second biggest piece is actually a carry on size. And it is a very nice carry-on. Then there is the big duffle and smaller duffle and the toiletry, all nice. Don't get too happy about containing 5 pieces, as 3 of them are just bags but they are still nice to have.

My major complaint is the CHEAP handle. It feels like foil and is very flimsy. This set would have received 5 stars if it wasn't for the cheap handle. I would not even use it for fear of breaking. I just can't understand that when they made this and put the samsonite name on it, someone thought this handle was the same quality as the rest of the luggage.

I just wish this set had a 28" or bigger, then 26" and 22" and so on. If that was the case, this set would be perfect for 2 people. Overall, very nice, lots of luggage for the price (just under $100), and shipped 2 day prime free. Looking at other luggage on other sites, just 1 piece was $60-70 plus tax and shipping

To sum it up, if you can get this for a good price and can deal with the handle issue, then jump on this set.
on February 4, 2009
When I decided on Samsonite luggage (not just the set of 5 no-name brand from JC Penney's like we've always had) I was wanting to go with quality that would last. I do like the biggest suitcase - it expands and looks nice and the zippers seem to work. The smaller suitcase is not the same. It does not expand. You better not put one thing in it that goes over the top in the least or you won't be able to zip it shut. My second time using it the zipper already separated. I was able to fix it, but that is just not what I expected to happen. Like I said, my no name brand suitcases have lasted for 10 years and finally just gave out, but never had a zipper problem. Haven't used the smaller duffels, the smallest toiletry bag seems fine.
on September 8, 2013
While returning home from Heathrow, the handle on my suitcase would not retract. It was the second time I've used the bag. I took it apart when I got home to find an internal molded part was broken. I left my contact info on the Samsonite web site with the promise of a response within 24 hours. I received no response. I tried again a few days later with the same result. I called the 800 number on the website and was on hold for 20 minutes without ever speaking to a human. I tried this twice but no one picked up.

I finally received a response when I contacted European Customer Service. I was told I would have to ship my suitcase (at my expense) to an authorized repair agent who would determine if the product was covered under warranty. I provided model #'s, photo's of the damaged piece and asked if they could just send me the part. I offered to pay for it. They refused and insisted I ship my suitcase.

Having taken apart the bag, I'm surprised at the low quality of its components. The broken part was an inexpensive piece of plastic 1 inch by 5 inches long which easily could have been mailed. The lack of product quality was only compounded by the misrepresentation of their website and disinterest of customer service personnel.
on August 20, 2012
The handle on the large suitcase broke on the very first use. The suitcase was packed to total weight of just under 50lb. The extensions twisted from normal use. I had to practically pound the handle in, to close it, and so I would not be charged for oversize luggage. On pickup I was forced to basically lug around the suitcase by the small side handle.

I can't stress this enough, do not buy into the samsonite name like I did. Avoid this set, and grab something cheaper. My last suitcase lasted me through five trips, it was a cheap no name brand I picked up at a local store.

Also the Carry on size suitcase is a little over the standard size... depending on the airline, you could find yourself forced to check it.

The other smaller bags are nice, but frankly useless.
on May 20, 2013
Unfortunately, the largest suitcase broke the very first time it was used. One of the wheel casings cracked and the entire suitcase buckled out and tore the outer covering, creating a huge gap that was held together only by the inner fabric liner. Thankfully, that liner held until we got to our destination (Japan) where we were forced to purchase another replacement suitcase. If you've ever tried to buy a suitcase in a foreign country when you've got a full itinerary of fun already booked, you can imagine my extreme frustration.

Not only that, but Samsonite will only repair their luggage at specific depots and you have to pay for shipping to and from the depot. The cost for shipping is more than the cost of these crummy suitcases.

We ended up trashing the suitcase in Japan and have been happily using the Japanese brand ever since.

My suggestion is to stay far away from Samsonite and American Tourister (also owned by them). It appears the quality is just not there anymore, and they are not interested in supporting their products.