5.0 out of 5 stars Best Luggage Ever
Published on October 27, 2011 by Travelin Ted

2.0 out of 5 stars great concept, but issues
Published on April 29, 2012 by marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Luggage Ever, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Samsonite Lift Spinner 25 Inch Expandable Wheeled Luggage (Accessory)
My wife and I do retirement leisure travel several weeks a year. We are so tired of luggage handles that tear out because of poor design. That is what first attracted us to this luggage in a Samsonite Outlet Store. We really liked the luggage but the price was more than I was willing to pay. Later, I found this luggage on Amazon.com and bought two 25 inch ones and saved $100 total from the outlet price.
We just got back from a 3 week trip to Oregon and it was our first trip with the Samsonite Lift 25" Expandable Spinner Luggage and are more impressed than ever with it. The airline agent who checked us in for our flight commented on how well-built the handle was and also stated that is usually the first thing to go. The driver for the rental car shuttle admired and commented on how much he liked our luggage. So, did the hotel shuttle driver on our return trip. Everyone, including us, feel that this is the best luggage design ever. Not only does it have the integral handle on the top, it has a good handle on the bottom - a feature that my old back very much appreciates when putting the suitcase up on a bed or a luggage rack. Every suitcase that I buy will be a spinner because they are so much easier to handle and turn around in hotel elevators. We have had other spinner suitcases that the spinners broke when being pulled like a wheeled suitcase. Not these, they pulled well, spinned well, and did everything we asked of them.
The luggage was so light (8.6 lbs) that with two of these suitcases we could carry the amount of clothes that normally take in 3 suitcases in order to stay under the 50 lb airline limit. One less bag to hassle with was much appreciated. The design is well thought-out and the suitcase is sturdy even though light. It held up perfectly and still looks new after 3 weeks of airline and rental car travel and being dragged into and out of a different hotel almost every night. That is why I feel that this is the best luggage ever !Samsonite Lift Spinner 25 Inch Expandable Wheeled Luggage

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right size, light, easily maneuvered, durable, great color, and classy-looking...pretty much the perfect luggage, March 14, 2013
Stefleaf (San Mateo, California) - See all my reviews
I bought this luggage in the charcoal color after doing extensive research on different models, and after using it for over a year, I'm convinced I chose well. Here are 6 reasons why this luggage is awesome:

1. Size - This is the perfect size to pack your things in for an international flight (in economy class, that is). When I was a kid traveling with my parents, I used to pack my things in one of their full-size luggages (the ones around 29" long), and it was never full even when I had maxed out the weight limit of 50 lbs (i.e. my stuff would tumble around in the luggage while in transit). With this 25", I can pack my stuff in very neatly up to 50 lbs and it'll arrive at my destination the same way. I think there really is no reason to use a larger luggage unless you are a) traveling on business or first class where you are given more than a 50 lb per piece luggage limit, or b) packing lots of boxes with empty space inside your luggage, i.e. 10 pairs of shoes in their original shoeboxes.

2. Lightweight - Like I said, I wanted to stay under the 50-lb limit. But I also wanted to pack as much stuff as I could under 50 lbs, so I wanted the lightest luggage possible. I have back issues too, so I didn't want to struggle with lifting any more weight than was necessary. This piece is around 9 lbs when it's empty, so it's not the absolute lightest luggage on the market (the International Traveler IT-O-2 is about 3 lbs lighter), but it was the lightest one that met all my other criteria.

3. Easily maneuvered - I was initially skeptical of the spinner wheels, because they looked like they would break off easily, jutting out like that. I had only ever used luggage with recessed in-line wheels before, which I thought would always be more durable. But after a year of using this luggage, the wheels are still perfectly intact and I don't think I could go back to using non-spinner luggage. Since it spins 360 degrees, it is just so easy to get the luggage to go where you want it to go, which is crucial when you have to swiftly squeeze into a crowded rush-hour train on the way to the airport and the only floor space left for your luggage is at a really awkward angle.

4. Durable - I generally trust Samsonite to make good quality luggage that doesn't fall apart. It may not have a Tumi warranty, but this one has held up for over a year of use and looks like it could go for at least 10 more. I particularly love the side grip handles which are built into the luggage itself, sewn into the corners. These handles aren't coming off anytime soon! The luggage has a handle on the bottom end, too (3 handles in total: top, right, and bottom), so if you're lifting the luggage to face up you can hold the luggage with both hands, which leads to less wear and tear on the top handle.

5. Color - I decided that I was never going to buy black luggage because it's just too hard for me to spot it on a luggage carousel among all the millions of other black luggage at 2am, when my eyes are still bleary from jetlag. And even if I could, there's no telling how many other jetlagged travelers might mistake it for their bag and bring it home with them. My dad used to tie these brightly colored ribbons on the handles of our old black luggage to make it easier to spot on the carousel...a good workaround if you have no other option but black luggage, but I find it so much easier to just not buy black luggage in the first place. I picked the charcoal color because I wanted it to look classy and not too girly, so my husband doesn't mind being seen with it. I think this backfired on me though because now he likes to use my luggage more than his black one! Oh, and for those of you concerned about non-black luggage looking dirty, fear not---after much traveling I've only ever gotten a few small black smudges on it, and they were really easy to wipe off.

6. Beauty - This luggage definitely looks prettier than the IT-O-2 made by International Traveler, mainly because the exterior material of the IT-O-2 was wrinkly (like duffel bag material stretched over a luggage frame). I also didn't like that the telescoping handle of the IT-O-2 was so wide (basically as wide as the luggage itself). I like securing some bags on top of my luggage by looping the strap (or the built-in luggage pass-through) around the telescoping handle, and I won't be able to do that if the telescoping handle is too wide. The handle on this Samsonite is perfect.

By the way, I also have the matching 21" version of this luggage (the carry-on size). It nests inside the 25" one if you slip it in upside down (with the wheels of the 21" facing in the opposite direction of the wheels of the 25"). I like to wrap the 21" in a large plastic bag before nesting it so that any dirt on its wheels won't get inside my 25".

Other reviewers have complained that this bag tips over all the time. I personally have never had that problem. Perhaps Samsonite has fixed whatever was the issue.

Final word: BUY IT! You won't be sorry. Buy the 21", too.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful lightweight capacious bag, September 19, 2011
I bought this bag in blue-lovely, and easy to spot on carousel- and am so happy with it. took it to Spain for 9 day trip and it handled cobblestones with ease. On a smooth surface, you can just roll it along beside you without tilting it, using the shorter handle option; what a breeze. My husband liked it so well, he got a duplicate. His had a tendency to tip over, while mine did not, and I'm sure that's because I intentionally packed heavier items closer to the wheels. When he repacked, problem solved! I'm a reasonably light packer and I had plenty of room, even packed my soft airplane carryon inside it (and my husband packed his briefcase in his) when we took trains. I didn't need the expansion zipper. Zippers work well and handle worked well and comfortable. Side handles for lifting also nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great suitcase--one big problem, September 11, 2011
The bag was really great for our recent 2.5 week trip. The bag itself is very lightweight and EASY to spot the beautiful color on the baggage conveyor belt!! Unfortunately, the baggage handlers put a dent in a small portion of the structure just above one of the bottom back corners. I hope this doesn't create future issues.

MY only issue was that when fully packed and expanded, the bag would NOT stand up alone and kept falling forward! This is the only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars, but it really could be a major issue for someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, tends to tip, April 4, 2012
I got this for my husband's 30-day training trip to Europe on business. This bag is light and spacious and held plenty of clothing for about 9-10 days (thank goodness for laundry service!). It was still snowing and a business-casual dress code where he was going so there were a bunch of bulky items e.g. sweaters, fleece trousers, business suit, winter coat etc. He also had to bring some books/manuals for the training course and this one bag (+ a laptop bag, carried on) held everything comfortably.

It had a tendency to tip over when fully packed (but not expanded) but we repacked heavy items at the bottom and this helped to stabilize it somewhat. Once expanded, heavy items at the bottom didn't help though and it kept tipping over unless held or carefully positioned. This was kind of annoying but not a huge deal for him as he didn't expand it.

Many comments on the bag's good looks were received and the grey color is somewhat lighter than "Charcoal" implies, it's more silvery. We saw it in-store so no surprises. It's quite easy to spot on the carousel and handles are invaluable when manhandling it on and off taxis/carousels/hotel rooms. He specifically wanted a 4-wheel design as that would allow him to kick it along when standing in lines, and also make it easier to maneuver in elevators etc, and this didn't disappoint.

No comments on wear/tear as it's only been used for that one trip so far but it handled being dragged over cobblestones for 10min when his taxi dropped him at the wrong hotel :)

2.0 out of 5 stars great concept, but issues, April 29, 2012
Great concept. Lightweight and spacious. First one I had the handle didn't slide up and down easily. It kept catching. I returned it to where I bought it and they replaced it. This one the handle was a dream, but the main zipper wouldn't work easily. I've had this for three weeks now and haven't been able to use it. Samsonite is guaranteed, but who wants to go through the trouble of sending it back and waiting weeks for it to be fixed. I'd be happy if they just replaced it with something where all the parts actually work. Something about paying all that money and having a fixed one versus new. As for the tipping, every spinner I've had does this. You just need to pack smart and be aware of how you are parking it.Samsonite Lift Spinner 21 Inch Expandable Wheeled Luggage

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and light, but..., July 15, 2012
I bought this for a recent trip to Ireland and England. With the strict weight limits these days (especially flying within Europe) I wanted a lighter suitcase than I had. This fit the bill perfectly. It was big enough, while still allowing me to avoid excess baggage charges. The only drawback is that it easily tips over. I tried packing heavier items in the bottom, but it still was just a nudge away from tipping. The problem is exacerbated when the expansion zipper is opened, as the zipper only goes around 3 sides of the suitcase (not the bottom) which gives the standing suitcase a "V" type shape. All in all though, I really like the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel!, April 24, 2013
K.K. (Great Lakes State) - See all my reviews
I loved this suitcase so much I purchased another one to go with it. It is so lightweight, which makes a big difference when packing for a trip and knowing that you have to stay under that 50 LB weight limit. Secures clothes well and I love that it has 4 wheels, so it is very easy to push in line and it has one handle that is flush on the side for lifting and one on the top. Lots of storage space. Love it, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem solver, February 22, 2012
Joanne Schnee (San Antonio, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This bag makes traveling easier. It's light weight so I can lift it more easily or pack more and not go over the weight limit. The color is closer to royal blue than purple. It's easy to spot on the carousel. The four wheels make maneuvering a breeze. When I was checking in at the airport last week the baggage handler commented on how nice it was. Even my husband noticed how much lighter it was, so I just ordered one for him today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Suitcase, April 8, 2013
I love this suitcase! The spinner wheels make moving the bag easy. Great handles, great zippers and great material. Best on the market.

Samsonite Lift Spinner 25 Inch Expandable Wheeled Luggage