Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on May 21, 2012
Bought to protect my $100+ backpack as a check-in baggage in airports, planes, tranes, buses, etc.
Almost perfect! I've made one important addition to the handle (velcro wrap) in the very beginning before my first use to keep both handles together and avoid trapping in the moving conveyor belts and carousels. It is so rare today to see such an inexpensive, simple and optimal user friendly design & construction for transportation and outdoor purposes. When bag is fully unzipped to the bottom it lays flat on the floor, no need to push things into, just put a backpack on and other stuff and zip from both sides - done. See my step-by-step images for the purple bag (my camera showed it blue).
When empty compacts to a book size (see my posted photo with DVD, book and phone for comparison) and weighs a pound or little more. Insert it in your backpack and hike to backcountry. Almost 5-star product and hats off to the designers (except missed velcro).
77 comments|417 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
I purchased the first of these bags at a Samsonite outlet store. I travel overseas, and I was very hesitant that this bag could make it with 50 lbs inside it. I purchased it because the lady at the counter told me that the Samsonite warranty was for 3 years and they would cover it (unless it was accidental damage like it got punctured with a sharp object, etc). So, I decided to try it. And to my surprise, these bags can carry a ton (and not all has to be soft items like clothing) and are very durable.
On 1/16/12 - I have taken my bags twice to Panama and twice to Mexico full with all 50 lbs that I am allowed, and they are still in good shape! Great, great bags (if you have enough to fill them with)
99 comments|291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 31, 2011
I bought this because it was the legal size for a check in bag on international airlines. This has lasted fine across the Atlantic and to Australia. No scuffs or rips and the zipper has held fine after all those trips (14+). It was even opened and closed by TSA security several times with no issues (though I do recommend tying the zippers together so they don't open during flight. Each and every time I had it packed to exactly 50 LBS (21k) - the weight limit on most international airlines. So it performed beautifully while fully loaded with heavy items. I typically load it with clothes, shoes, toys.

The amazing thing for me is that this soft sided luggage has outlasted 4 standard rigid side luggages. Since it is extremely lightweight, I can put it into a roller luggage for easy transportation and fill it up on the way back. It doesn't have rollers, so you'll want to rent a cart at airports. But it has not broken yet - despite being dragged, poked, crushed, even has a burn mark.

Note that it isn't impervious - I make sure to avoid pointy or sharp objects in my luggage such as an umbrella. But truly, I am amaed after all these years of owning this to still be using my original purchase on flights.
22 comments|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2013
The bag does exactly what its name implies: you can really really really stuff the thing and still find you have space left. I've brought it on a transatlantic flight and on several weekend trips and it doesn't look any worse for the wear. So for cubic inches per dollar, this is a really hard bag to beat.

My one peeve: why didn't they make the thing easier to (forgive me) tote? When the bag is full or nearly full, it's bound to be heavy and the handles are really only suited for one-hand carrying - not so great. When the bag is half-full or nearly empty, one or both ends of the bag will sag when it's picked up by the handles.

If they'd put a shoulder strap on it, or even just rings at the end to attach a shoulder strap to, I would give this bag 5 stars in a heartbeat. As it is, it's still a great bag for the price, and I would certainly buy it again if I needed to take a truckload of stuff in a single piece of luggage.
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2015
June 9, 2016 Product Update:
I reviewed the Duffle below and wanted to add one more picture to the collection. I'm heading to Nepal tomorrow and collected 27 pairs of running sneakers to deliver to the mountain running community. There is an organization there that collects gently used or new sneakers to donate to mountain runners of all ages. Nepalese live on less than $2 a day. The earthquake is still leaving a lasting impression on the small villages that have been neglected by the government. Anyway, you'll be able to see how this duffle allows me to transport lots of sneakers!
Both EMS and REI have their own packable duffle bag which is used to protect backpacks while flying to your destination. They stuff inside of a their pocket and measure approximately 8x10x2. EMS's bag is $49 and 38" long. REI's bag is $29 and 36" long. After purchasing both I found the Samsonite Tote-a-ton and returned the more expensive bags. The tote-a-ton is cheap in $ but not in quality. The durable material is the same as the more expensive duffles with two sturdy handles to lift. There's outside pocket and inside pocket, too. I have an Osprey Aura AG 65L. The pack is approximately 31 inches long. It fits perfectly into the duffle with room to spare. I haven't actually packed the backpack but feel confident it will still fit into the duffle. I am packrafting in Alaska this summer. I need something that will safely get my backpack and gear to Alaska. While in Alaska I will use my backpack for day trips/rafting and my gear will go into the duffle which will be hauled, by the outfitter, to the next location. Perfect solution! Plus, in the future, when I travel and don't need the duffle, it collapses perfectly and can be stuffed into my pack without taking up a lot of space. I have a friend traveling to Nepal in March. I showed her the duffle and she's purchasing one to protect her backpack, too. Great deal. We'll see how it holds up in June and I'll report back then :-)

UPDATE July 14, 2015:
I just returned from my 10 day trip to South Central Alaska. The duffle was perfect for this trip! Just like I mentioned above...the duffle protected my 65L when I checked it on the plane and then I used it to store my gear and clothing while using my backpack for packrafting during the day. The placement of the zipper made the bag easy to get in and out of. I'm not sure how well the material will continue to hold up because it is rather light weight. It was pretty dirty after being checked on the plane. I don't travel regularly so it may be a while before it gets used again. However, the light weight factor can be a plus if you are backpacking and have to stow the duffle in your backpack. I'd still highly recommend it!
review image review image review image
on October 30, 2015
I did't even get the chance to travel with the bag because it got torn apart as soon as I zipped it. This is supposed to be a very durable piece of luggage but be aware. It will not handle it. I only had clothing items in there and they weren't even heavy....

This is not a heavy Duty Duffle luggage! And there are no warranty information anywhere.
on November 6, 2011
Was in a hotel room full of gifts contemplating how I would get home with well more than what would fit in my luggage. In addition to this whatever I did, I was going to be well over the limit so would have to pay, as such needed to minimise weight where possible.

Then I saw this bag and this was the answer. Basically its a samsonite large canvas/plasticky duffle bag , it weights practically nothing - unzips end to end so almost totally and fits an enormous amount of stuff while weighing nothing. I was a little worried that the bag might not be strong enough based on some other comments I found but having recieved it , it was much more sturdy material than I thought it would be and after a couple of 12000km flights - not a mark on it . As it has no rigidity at all, you wouldn't want to put any items that are crushable or might be damaged, but in my case, put all my clothes in that and all the gifts in my solid sided case (which weighs 9kg empty!). Problem solved.

Only thing of note is the handles dont have any way to tie them together, this is no problem to fix and lots of ways to do it , but you you will need to do it , having them flap around wouldn't be good.

Very good, will use again for sure.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2013
I bought this bag because of the Samsonite brand.
I used this bag for the trip to Brazil. When I retrieved the bag in the baggage claim area, the zipper broke (zipper pull was missing and the bag was partially open). Very disappointed.

update 08/28 - brought this item to samsonite authorized repair center, was told that zipper (pull) is not covered under warranty and the repair cost is $20 for the zipper pull only and more for the zipper itself. Very very disappointed.
on August 21, 2015
Excellent Purchase! I used 4 to move my entire closet from Newark Airport to LAX in Cali. As per previous reviews, I only used it for clothing and did not place sharp objects inside. You could move a body in these bags!!
No Regrets!!!
on January 3, 2016
My wife and I bought this bag to carry home her various bedding items from a stay abroad. This bag seemed very sturdy when it arrived and we thought it would fit the bill. However, it ripped open at the bottom when we were moving it around at the airport!! What a disaster for us, very disappointed.