5.0 out of 5 stars Opps - Amazon forgot to say for Laptops up to 16 inches...
Published on September 25, 2011 by BobD

3.0 out of 5 stars Bag for the sunny days only!
Published 20 months ago by Occasional Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Opps - Amazon forgot to say for Laptops up to 16 inches..., September 25, 2011
BobD (The Villages, Fl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsonite Tectonic Large Backpack (Accessory)
This is a fabulous backpack which I got, assuming it would fit my 17" Gateway Laptop because of it's dimensions. At first. it was a "no-go" fitting my laptop in it. Then I found if I took off the slightly protruding battery pack, I could barely zipper the computer into it's compartment. After taking it on a trip, it must have stretched the compartment a bit and now the zipper closes without a serous struggle. The zipper is still very tight against the laptop at the top corners and would probably either fail or not protect the laptop well if you whacked something at that relatively unlikely place.

As soon as you get the backpack, there is a tag on it that says it is for laptops up to 16" and that is what I would recommend.

There are so many pockets in this thing that you may find you forgot where you put each gizmo unless you use it a lot. Many of the pockets are zippered. Some of the critical zippers are " self-healing", another good thing. There are nice back comfort pads in the right places.

In short, it is an amazing backpack and for that reason, I will not deduct a star in spite of the Amazon person that did not adequately describe it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bag for the sunny days only!, June 3, 2013
I've been using this backpack everyday for about 6 months now and I am quite disappointed with it. It is light and roomy and have lots of small compartments inside - no complaints there. And I can live with some lints popping out from the net mesh styled outer padding and the front of the bag. But the problem with this bag is that it offers no protection against water. I don't know what kind of outer material this bag is made with but forget about taking this bag if it rains. ANY RAIN..

Just about 15 minutes of walk with this bag on my back UNDER THE UMBRELLA in the light rain was enough for water to seep through and wet the papers and books that I carried in the main (middle) compartment inside. About 1/4 from the bottom inside of the bag was all wet and damp. This bag never left my back and never toughed the wet ground.

When it happened first time about a month ago, I thought the water went inside through the zipper closure area - there is no flap cover over the zippers (like most other backpacks do) at all and even if you close the zippers all the way, there is a small gap where the two zipper pulls meet, no matter how tightly you close it.

I was extra careful today not to make the zipper gap on top center area and closed the bag so that the gap is on the top corner side. Well, it didn't help and it ruined my documents inside again. Upon closer inspection, I found the top section of the bag inside was dry but the bottom 1/4 was wet. The zipper closure gap was NOT the cause - it was the material. The water seeps right through the material.

I don't expect it to be waterproof but I thought it would provide at least "some" protection from the rain - well, I was wrong. My son's JanSport school backpack that costed 1/3 of this bag provides much better water protection! And he doesn't even carry umbrella.

This is my second Samsonite backpack purchase since my first similar looking Samsonite backpack finally gave in after 10 years of everyday use. I've never had any water problem with my previous bag and it was a 5-star backpack. Maybe I gave too much trust in the name Samsonite. No more... I guess they don't make it like they used to...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, except for shoulder strap and zipper, May 4, 2012
My wife and I are in Europe studying abroad for a year. Before we left, we decided to purchase new backpacks. I've always had Samsonite so I purchased the Large Samsonite Tectonic and my wife likes Swiss Gear, so she got their Maxxum one.
Maxxum Swiss Gear by Wenger Notebook Backpack - Blue

We've had them now for about 3 months of light/medium traveling, and I wish I would have gone with the Maxxum. This Samsonite backpack is just not the quality I expected.

The first problem is that the shoulder strap threading has unraveled, thus leaving about a 4-inch hole where you can see the two foam pads in it. After three months of not even continuous use, I was surprised by this rip. The Maxxum's shoulder pads aren't as padded but they are staying together.

The other problem is that the zippers do not stay together well (especially to the main compartment). The teeth are large and I'd guess that about 4 or 5 times now, my main compartment has fallen open while I am walking and some of my stuff spills out. The fix for this is to make sure the zippers are together on one of the sides, where they seem to not want to pull apart. The Maxxum has tighter teeth, and feel more stable.

I give this backpack 3 starts because it is a good fit with my 13-inch laptop and I like the overall padding comfort, pocket layout, and design. Yet, there are just a couple of small annoying things (like having to sew a shoulder pad and zip up on the side) that prevent it from scoring better. The Samsonite website says "This bag can take it. Samsonite tough." and I was hoping for a little more durable backpack.

11/20/2014 UPDATE: Both backpacks are still holding together after almost 3 years. They both are being used on a daily school basis, and I have not had to resew the Samsonite one again. I would still recommend the Maxxum backpack because of the aforementioned teeth-size issue, but overall they are both good backpacks. I would upgrade this backpack to 3.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars bottom side of laptop compartment is very thin., November 8, 2011
good quality
lots of compartments
large is really large (I would choose medium one I guess)
only negative thing is bottom side of laptop compartment is very thin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, October 25, 2012
I read all the reviews on this product before I bought it and was very excited about my purchase. It has been less than 2 months and the straps are ripped and backpack is falling apart. Would not recommend this product to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy and spacious, August 26, 2011
I replaced an old, worn-out, standard Jansport backpack with this one. So this is a huge upgrade for me.

I've only worn the backpack a couple times and I already like it a lot. It's a BEAST. It accommodates my Sony VAIO laptop (16.4") perfectly well, even with the large battery that protrudes from the bottom a couple of inches. PLENTY of padding in the laptop compartment as well as on the outside that rests against your back. The straps are rather large but comfortable. I can barely feel the weight of the bag when I put it on.

There are many pockets and pouches inside and outside of the bag. I can fit a small umbrella perfectly in one of the side pockets. The small pocket in the front (at the bottom) is highly padded... a cell phone would work nicely in there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! Worth every cent!, March 19, 2012
Make sure you pick the 17" option if your laptop is that size or it won't fit like the others here are saying. I did pick that option and have NEVER been disappointed for one, single, second. The over-sized zippers are tough-as-nails, the material of the pack itself is an impenetrable rugged gortex-like substance that is water-proof (I've had it in the rain with Notebook in it!!), and simply cannot be beat. The many, many pockets are useful for your average student (college or not--in my case grad school). The adjustable straps are well, WELL cushioned beyond any other pack I've ever seen, the back-side cushions are all about a full inch thick of comfortable padding that just cannot tear because they are covered in the same tough pack material the rest of it is in. The handle at the top lets you carry in-hand if you want to give your shoulders a break and that is also made of that tough, gortex-like material and its about 2 inches thick! It has two primary compartments--one for books, etc., and the other for your laptop, and the Laptop area has enough room for my 17" HP monster (17" screen; 1 TB HD). The pockets on either side are large enough for 20 oz sodas (which I take with me to the library), and again, even if they spill or leak, the material does not allow it to seep into the pack, keeping your items and Laptop dry.

This pack is the ultimate for your money. Now be careful, sears sells these for $200 bucks, and that's a rip off. I got mine for about $50 here and have never been happier for having spent it. There is just simply nothing bad to say--its tough, plenty of room, comfortable, affordable, great design, if you carry any laptop around you simply need this pack. Period.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for Laptop bag/ Bad for luggage, May 28, 2013
This review is from: Samsonite Tectonic Large Backpack (Accessory)
I bought this backpack as an airline personal item to go with my carry on. Since it is Samsonite, I figured it would be good for traveling. Unfortunately, I should have known by the name "Tectonic" it is designed almost exclusively as a Laptop Backpack. The backpack does have a nice extremely well padded laptop sleeve built in. My problem was that I was not carrying a laptop and that area, about 1/3 of the bag, was useless. It is very well constructed, as you would expect from Samsonite, from the zippers to the back padding.

Pros: Very well constructed.
Good shoulder and back padding.
Looks more professional than the usual kid-style backpack.
Very good laptop sleeve padding.

Cons: Not good if you don't have a laptop.
Does not have compression straps on the side.
Does not have a back flap that slides over the handle of a roller suitcase to allow you
to pull it along with your carry-on or just attach it when you are sitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, versatile with lots of options, but a bit heavy and overpadded, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Samsonite Tectonic Large Backpack (Accessory)
This is a great backpack overall and I'll continue to use it. My criticisms may actually be strengths for some buyers.

Pros:

1) Three main compartments - one for laptop, one "bulk" area and one smaller opening for pens, business cards and other miscellany.
2) Two water bottle holders - one on each side.
3) Small front compartment that works perfectly for holding my sun glasses
4) Small front pouch that I use to hold my ear bud headphones (too small to hold "real" head phones)
5) Padded straps and back are comfortable.

Cons:
1) It is too heavy. It's not very heavy, but it's got more weight than I would prefer when empty.
2) Too much back padding. I think this thing is built to last but I wish they had used less padding, which I think is adding to the weight.
3) Top luggage handle is somewhat convenient but ultimately isn't that useful and probably should have been omitted or made less bulky (it's rubberized).

I think this backpack will last me for years - it works perfectly for carrying a laptop, a tablet, an e-reader, books, food and water onto airplanes, which is what I use it for. I also carry chargers, biz cards, pens and a few travel items (inflatable neck rest, eye shades and notebook).

It handles this load without feeling over stuffed. Overall I'd buy this backpack again, though I do wish it was not as heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Backpack, September 7, 2012
Awesome backpack. Very durable and very very comfortable to wear even with a lot of stuff. Is big enough to carry 15.4" laptop, power cable, HDD, 4 water bottles, ipad, a couple books and some snacks. You'll be impressed by this one.