5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung NX has Matured

Published 4 months ago by BookWorm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung NX has Matured, April 15, 2014
Eric T "ejt" (Marion, IA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Samsung NX30 20.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3" AMOLED Touch Screen and EVF (Black) (Electronics)
Update (6/23/14): Shot my first mirrorless only wedding using only the NX30, 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S, and 85mm f/1.4 and SEF580 flash. Went great. Focus was better than I could have hoped, performance was great, no lockups and I will no longer use my SLR since I was able to rely solely on the NX30 (obviously have backup equipment for professional use). The optional available micro USB external charger is awesome since I could charge my spare batteries using a USB battery pack in my camera bag. No worries running out of battery with only 2 packs at the wedding.

Pros:
Fast and accurate focus
Great selection of lenses
Superb grip
Well built

Cons:
Viewfinder with glasses could be better

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this mirrorless camera. I have a Sony A7R, Fuji X-M1, NEX 3N, and have used many more. This Samsung NX30 is my go to camera. I love the grip and feel of the camera, the responsive controls, fast AF, and great selection of lenses. My complaint is that the viewfinder looks a bit small through my glasses (I am near sighted) and if pointed towards the sun the eye sensor sometimes doesn't work with my glasses on.

Review:
When you buy an interchangeable lens camera you need to consider what other lenses, flashes, or other system devices are available. Does it do what you need it to do? I am exclusively a RAW shooter, so JPEG quality is not important to me (the NX30 is generally fine for JPG, but probably geared towards consumers). The Samsung NX has an excellent set of lenses available. For Zooms they have a 12-24mm, 16-50mm f/2-2.8, 16-50mm power zoom compact, 20-50mm compact, 18-55mm, 18-200mm, 50-200mm. For primes, which is what I shoot most of the time, they have: 10mm f/3.5 fisheye, 16mm f/2.4, 20mm f/2.8, 30mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8 (2d or 2d/3d), 60mm f/2.8 macro, and 85mm f/1.4. These primes are all very good. The 45mm is probably the fastest focusing, and large aperture, making it a great general purpose telephoto. All practical purposes it fills the same function as a 50mm, don't worry about the slightly different focal length. The 85mm f/1.4 is amazing quality, but is more specialized. It is a great head and shoulders portrait lens or general purpose telephoto. The 30mm f/2 is a must have if you like prime lenses. Large aperture and very compact. Sharp across the frame at f/4 or f/5.6 and sharp in the center from f/2. Samsung is adding flash support, they have a SEF-580A which is a top end flash, and Metz makes a 44 AF-1 for Samsung (don't get Pentax/Samsung, those are for the older Samsung GX cameras). The system is now pretty strong for most users.

Autofocus:
The focus is very dependent on lens, as with any system. All the lenses except the 60mm and 85mm are focus by wire and the 60 and 85mm use ultrasonic motors and have direct manual focus as well. This makes them slower than most of the focus by wire motors which have smaller lens elements that can focus quicker. The 45mm, 10mm, 16mm, 12-24mm, 18-200mm focus very quick. The 30mm is pretty average, and the 20-50mm pretty slow.

What is quick? The 45mm f/1.8 focuses as fast or faster than most high end DSLR cameras in moderate to good light. In low light, the CDAF takes over and will be slower than an SLR, but the NX30 does pretty well for a mirrorless camera.

Continuous AF with Continuous shooting (low speed drive mode) works very well, but is basically take shot, refocus, take shot, refocus, and doesn't do a great job tracking, but I find you might get 2 fps or so with a subject running towards the camera. The faster lenses are going to help here.

Touch to focus/shoot. You can set the touch screen to take a shot immediately after focusing. This will generally be excellent for your active kids. You touch on the kids face and the camera will focus and take the shot almost instantly after focus is achieved making for a nice sharp shot.

Overall I think AF is better than average for mirrorless cameras.

Features:
The extendable viewfinder is unique and in interesting feature for those that shoot with the camera lower to the ground. I find I use the articulated screen more, but it is a nice feature to have anyway.

The WiFi features are very good. I mostly use direct upload to facebook and the new remote viewfinder is excellent, allowing you nearly full control over the camera from your smart phone; with minimal lag and decent frame rates (nowhere near 30 fps), yes, you can touch to focus and also use RAW. I think it is the best WiFi implementation to date. Having the touch screen really makes entering passwords nice, etc.

Touch screen is more responsive than earlier models and very high quality. It is multi-touch so you can pinch to zoom, etc.

USB Charging. Only camera I know of that you can charge USB and use it at the same time. No need for AC battery adapter. Only drawback here is USB port is in middle of the grip, so I bought a compact right angle USB cable to plug in so I can still hold the camera and charge at the same time using USB battery pack.

i-Fn. Two modes, normal where you press i-Fn on lens and change aperture, ISO, or other configurable parameters using lens ring (or touch screen by swiping finger) or the other mode lets you press i-Fn and override one of the other buttons. I set metering mode to force the EVF on when you press i-Fn first since I sometimes have trouble with the eye sensor.

Ergonomics:
Grip. This is my favorite part, it feels dreamy in my fairly large hands. Most mirrorless cameras are too small and fail miserably here. The grip is large and very comfortable to hold, along with the very light weight of the camera it makes it easy to hold for extended periods.

Controls. Some are a bit small, but overall they work well and plenty of direct controls.

Build Quality. Composite shell, but very sturdy. Doesn't feel any more fragile than other enthusiast models, but it is much lighter. Sometimes people think of weight as quality, which is not a good correlation. My A7R has more metal in the body, but is not really better built than the Samsung.

Image Quality:
RAW image quality is comparable to other good APS-C sensors. Samsung has come a long way since their original 14.6 MP sensor. I would say this is better than Canon but not quite as good as Sony, but more than good enough to be competitive. JPEG quality is too personal to judge, some will like it and some won't. I think it is fine, but not great. Maybe too harsh with the noise reduction.

Buffer performance:
Huge improvement over earlier models. Camera no longer becomes unresponsive. Performance is superb, new shots can be added to buffer when it is emptying. Maybe 8 or 9 RAW frame buffer. Performance after buffer is still a bit slow, the camera doesn't write files out quick enough even with fast memory card, but the large buffer generally means this isn't an issue.

Battery Life:
Typical mirrorless, depends more on how long you have camera turned on over how many shots you take. Probably 300 +/- typical use.

My Suggestion:
Buy the NX30 and be sure to get either the 30mm f/2 or 45mm f/1.8 lens. These will provide excellent image quality with a great experience. I would look at other lenses depending on your usage profile, but these two lenses really help set apart the system. The 45mm with its fast focus and shallow depth of field and the 30mm with its compact size and superb image quality. The kit 18-55mm is also a fine lens, better than average for a kit lens (if you get a good copy, I say this about all kit lenses) so don't disregard it, but it also isn't what makes the system special.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera system, March 20, 2014
Alice Oleary "alice srq" (Sarasota, FL United States) - See all my reviews
For years I have been devoted to Nikon but I am now 66 years old and my ability to lug heavy equipment around has greatly diminished. I have been searching for a lightweight camera, preferably with an articulated screen. I do a lot of nature photography and being able to move the screen around is very helpful. The NX30 has that screen but even better it has a rangefinder that pulls out and extends upward making for easy waist-high shooting. It is like having a belt and suspenders! The camera is wonderfully light and the ergonomics are good. It doesn't have the rugged feel of the D7000 and I worry about the lack of weather-proofing. In nature photography you encounter all manner of elements. But I am willing to be more vigilant for the ease of use.
These new mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras are "outside" the box and many devotees scoff at them but the quality is excellent. Perhaps if I worked for National Geographic there might be a problem but for the enthusiast who wants good quality with some ease of use I can recommend the NX30. I haven't worked much with the wi-if feature but can certainly see the potential. And I love the iFN button feature on the lenses. Click that button on and you can view (and change) the aperture, ISO, WB and exposure compensation without ever looking away from the screen or rangefinder.
This is an exciting camera and I am really happy to own it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best NX camera yet!, February 22, 2014
This is a review in progress since I just received my camera yesterday.

I currently own the NX210, NX300 and NX30. I have owned Nikon DSLR's as well but wanted to move to a more compact system so I decided to give Samsung mirrorless cameras a try. Each generation gets better than the last. While the sensor hasn't changed a lot in the last three cameras the fit and finish of these cameras gets better.

Here are some things I like...

The shutter on the NX30 has a nice soft sound.
The EVF is very nice and clear.
The diopter adjustment works well for the EVF.
The EVF pulls out and the viewing angle can be changed.
The touch screen is fully adjustable, has great color and brightness.
Built in intervelometer is a very welcome addition.

Things I dislike...

The autofocus could be faster an more accurate with moving objects.
There are no spare BP1410 batteries available yet.

So far I would highly recommend this camera. At $999 it is a bit pricey but it is a solid camera with a good sensor. Samsung also has a very nice lens offering at prices that are a bit more reasonable than the other big names.

I will update this review as I have more time to evaluate the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Camera I have been searching for, June 27, 2014
Rudy James Jr. (Atlantic City, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I want to be upfront with this review I was given this camera as trade in from Samsung At #ditchthedslr day in Times Square NY. The review has nothing to do with me getting the camera this way. I did have to wait in line for over 7 hours and travel over 100 miles to get it and give up my Olympus Evolt 330 so it did cost me something. I am a hobby picture taker my family looks to me to keep a photo record of any family events. I love taking pictures.

The NX30 is a camera that just about anyone can use the auto setting makes pictures come out looking like a pro took them. The color along with the white balance just make photos pop and come alive. the shutter speed and the continual auto focus impressed me beyond my wildest dream. This camera can and has taken 9 pics a second with no lockup. The buffer is big so you can just continue to shoot pic after pic.

The camera is light in your hands but for me it does not feel cheaply made. the EVF is bright colorful and responsive. It was very easy for me to adjust it so I can use it with out my glasses on. Battery life is great they say it is rated to take about 300 pics per charge. I have done some Panoramic pics with it and you would me amazed at how easy it is to do.

My next step is to get a telephoto lens and I am attending 2 NFL preseason football games I will be taking many pictures and I can not wait to see how the camera handles it.

If you LOVE taking pics and you want to move away from point and shoot but not run into the big heavy DSLR this is a camera you can grow with. This is a great camera.

UPDATE 08/13/2014
I have added the 50 to 200mm lens to the camera and I went to the first of 2 pre season football games. NY Giants Vs The Steelers. I had seats in the end zone which gave me the perfect view down the field. Now you may find this hard to believe I was able to take pictures of receivers down the field at the far end zone with no problem. The pictures were nice and clear very sharp. I have posted one of the pictures here of a ball being caught and yes it was taken from over 100 yards away. This camera was great to use I took almost 500 pictures at that game. I am still getting use to taking action shots. the camera performed with no problem at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for photos, NEEDS HELP with external mic audio, October 30, 2014
I originally rated this 1 star because video recorded with an external mic plugged into the 3.5mm jack produces tons of hiss (camera has horrible preamps, which is common across all brands of DSLRs). I've since learned that connecting the camera to a solid preamplifier produces first class audio when recording video. (I now use Beachtek DXA-SLR Ultra with mic input level set at 2 on the camera and output level dial at the 2 o'clock position on the Beachtek).

The quality of photos taken by the camera is top notch and additional lenses for the camera are very reasonably priced compared to DSLR lenses. I appreciate the lighter weight and smaller size compared to a DSLR as well. Most of all, the fully articulated touch screen is fantastic -- once you have it you'll never buy a camera without it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but with strange lockups, September 8, 2014
Was looking for a mirrorless APS-C with a fully articulating LCD. Tried a smaller sensor Samsung TL500 before and was amazed by the IQ considering the sensor size and how clean you can post-processed somewhat big out of camera JPEGs and RAWs. Would have kept it, if not for long write time (makes it unoperational) and delayed focusing in lower light (it did get a perfect focus in the end but due to the unpredictable lag you never knew what exactly you were getting in the frame).

I had my doubts about the NX30 but hoped that its advantages would overweight its shortcomings. Not going to repeat other reviewers. Feels OK to me, not slippery, not heavy, buttons not sticky. Not pro but not bad for the price. Tested with 16-50mm f2-2.8 lens in M-mode and updated firmware:

Image quality OK but nothing special compared to Pentax K5, Panasonic GX7 and even TL500. RAW processed with DXO.

Included Lightroom 5 sets you off for $100, if you are using Adobe Cloud or a 3rd party (DXO). Was not a bad idea before Adobe switched to subscription. Should have unbundled and given an option to buy LR5 with a discount.

Focusing rate is decent but nothing special. A it bit od hunting in lower light.

Main cons - strange lockups:
In continuous mode in many cases the camera keeps shooting UNTILL THE СARD IS FULL even after the shutter button is released. Doesn't respond to controls untill you remove the battery.
After going out of sleep mode (single shot mode) the lens refuses to focus. Had to turn the camera off-on to make it operational.
Not sure, if it's software or hardware issues.

Good news, due to upcoming release of NX1 the kit sells for $599 with a coupon code SAMSUNGSUM at checkout, free 2 days shipping and 4% Adorama rewards, expires 09/27 @Adorama

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung - the next BIG NAME in photography?, August 22, 2014
Length:: 2:44 Mins

As a filmmaker/photographer who has used a variety of cameras and regularly produces content online, this camera is one of the best I have used! I actually came across this camera through Samsung's #DitchTheDSLR event that was host in Times Square a few months back and having spent sometime with this camera - it really does deliver in performance. One of my favorite things about the NX30 is its size. Together with the 30mm pancake lens (which I highly recommend if you pick up this camera) this camera just a little bit larger then your average point and shoot. Samsung may not immediately pop in your head when your looking to buy a camera but they are definitely making their presence known - the quality of the images/videos are stunning for a mirrorless camera. Check out the video review I posted along with this review, the majority of it is filmed with the NX30. (The video had to be compressed to upload within Amazon specs so it is not the highest-quality - for full HD please view on my website)

Although the NX lens line-up is fairly limited, they do have some incredibly sharp ones that will make this camera ten times better then it is with the kit lens. Feature-wise, I absolutely love the 1920x810 cine mode to shoot videos with. As mentioned, I work a lot with filming videos and such so this definitely a very unique feature I enjoy. The LCD Touch Screen is extremely sharp and very responsive just like something you would find on a smartphone...very high quality. Once you get used to navigating the menu system, the NX30 is a breeze to pick up and shoot with it. It does have a little bit of a learning curve to get used to, although it is very user-friendly.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the NX30 if you are looking to upgrade from a DSLR or pick up a brand new camera. Although, Canon and Nikon have established their names in the photography industry...Samsung is definitely one you should NOT over look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Game-Chaging Features, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve been a very long time user of Canon’s Digital Rebel SLRs. At first the Samsung NX30 seemed like a camera on par with the latest Rebel SLR but with an interface I wasn't used to and a higher price tag. But the NX30 comes with a few awesome features that that have completely won me over.

Feature #1: WiFi. From the camera you can upload your pictures to Dropbox, copy them to your phone or tablet, e-mail them to a friend, and/or you can use an autobackup that copies all pictures taken since your last backup to an assigned computer. The user interface on all of these features leaves a bit to be desired (especially the autobackup, which requires installing obnoxious software on the host computer), but the features themselves are awesome. The best thing about WiFi is it means that I no longer need to bring a laptop when I go on a trip.

Feature #2: Interval timer. Want to make a timelapse video of a flower every 10 minutes for a day? Or of the stars at night? The camera will even go to sleep between photos and wake up to take a picture. You can use this instead of the self-timer too, just set it to take a picture every 5 or 10 seconds for as long as you want. Taking timelapse-type photos isn't something you’ll do very often, but it’s impossible with most cameras without special hardware.

Beyond these features there are several cool minor features. Automatic HDR photos, white balance bracketing, some focusing functionality, etc. It also has the ability to take up to 10 pictures when using the self-timer, a very handy feature for group photos. Beyond that it’s just a decent SLR.

It’s also worth mentioning that the video recording feature records audio in stereo and works very well. The NX30 has become my go-to video camera.

I bought a 30mm f/2 “pancake” lens for it and this allows the camera to fit into a much smaller case than with the default lens would allow and also take phenomenal indoor pictures.

In the end, lenses seem to determine the quality of the pictures you’ll get. The stock lens is the roughly equivalent to what you get with any SLR - kind of good for everything but great for nothing (though the stabilization feature works great) - and unfortunately if you want to build up a collection of nice lenses, Samsung lenses are incompatible with Canon and Nikon. If one day you decide to buy a $3K Canon or Nikon “wedding photographer” camera, you’re going to be buying all new lenses for that. But for a hobbyist like me who just wants to take really good pictures, this camera is great - I don’t think I can go back to a camera that doesn't have built-in WiFi.

It’s hard to say for sure that these features justify the price premium over an entry-level Canon or Nikon SLR, but it’s a great camera for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Mid-Range DSLR Competitors That Are More Expensive, August 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What makes the Samsung NX-30 unique, if you didn't know already, is that it is a mirrorless camera. In the NX-30's price range are mid-range DSLR cameras (the ubiquitous interchangeable lenses, beefy 'shelf candy' that you see in many electronics stores, like the T5i and Nikon varities)that use a mirror to redirect light to a sensor. The NX-30 does not use a mirror and instead directs the light directly to the sensor. You will notice this immediately when using the viewfinder (where you put your eye to view the image before you 'snap' the picture).

Below will be more detail on how this camera compares to the traditional DSLR cameras. To save you time reading, the short version is that the NX30 is, in general, a better buy when comparing to the DSLR cameras at or below the 1,000$ mark, for it offers a better value through high ISO capability, fast shutter speeds, and steady video at 60fps 1080p.

[---Size/Weight---]

Around 16 ounces in weight (or 453g) which, for a mirrorless camera, is a little high however, the extra weight makes the camera feel more solid and sturdy. If you are a tripod shooter, the slightly higher weight will offer more fluid movement. If you are shooting by hand for long periods of time then this will tire your arms a little more than average. In contrast, the Nikon D5300 is 480g (17 ounces) body only. Comparing size to a DSLR, this will be smaller than any of them.

[---Picture Quality---]

8.5/10 (Taken in .RAW and High JPEG formats)

Vs Nikon D5300 - Hard to 'really' tell a difference, however, the NX30's colors pop a little more. This is definitely the case when using the Auto shooting function (I do not use this option much, however, the NX30 is exceptional at Auto).

Vs Canon T5i - Roughly same as above. The fact that they are hard to compare tells you that the NX30 compares quite well to them.

High-light shooting (low ISO) - 9/10

The NX30 does very, very well at capturing subjects under direct sunlight. The only hint of blurriness, or loss of detail, is at maximum blow up. Even then, it is extremely hard to find any hints of blurry. Needless to say, it will not be an issue. Using Auto, there is some slight overexposure in about 3% of the images i.e. at 1 or 2 spots on the overall shot. Moreover, a blue sky, which is subject to washout the majority of the time, is fairly accurately displayed. Impressive to say the least.

Low-Light (high ISO, 3000+) - 8/10

Retains colors organically and does not go to dark on shadowed subjects very much. The strongpoint is in dim-light subjects. The NX30 captures that subtle 'glow' that comes with low light while allowing the subject to still standout. I had a better experience with low-light shooting on the NX30 than the DSLR varieties I have used.

[---Video Capture---]

Daylight - 8/10
Night - 9/10

Firstly, one of the few cameras, especially when among DSLRs, that can maintain a solid 60fps at 1080p. Focusing maintains clarity during environments with multiple subjects that are fast moving. Clear and vivid video during daylight. What will surprise you is night shooting. It is simply amazing. Colors pop and darkness is dark where it should be. Night-time video shooting feels like you are capturing night-life how we view it ourselves. Comparing to a couple of prosumer camcorders that are 2,000$+, the NX30 beats them.

[---Focusing---]

One of the downsides to mirrorless cameras is focusing. They use Contrast Detection Autofocus versus Phase Detection (for DSLRs) which can often be slower. Fortunately with the NX30, there is no noticeable lag with focusing. It is just as fast as DSLRs. What the NX30 does that DSLRs will not is that you can view, in real-time, what image is about to be captured by the very big LCD screen and you can 'tap' subjects to focus on them (like smartphones, except to a much more professional level). Needless to say, no downside with focusing here.

[---Fast Capture---]

Not much to say other than you can take fast action very well. The NX30 does 9 frames per second at maximum.

[---Viewfinder---]

The main drawback, of course, with mirrorless cameras is the viewfinder. As mentioned above, DSLRs use light to reflect into the viewfinder and when you 'shoot' the picture you hear the click of the shutter throwing the image to the sensor. What this means is that when you are looking into the viewfinder, it is real-time and instant. The mirrorless cameras uses an 'interpretation' of the image that light is 'painting' in the sensor. There is a transmission of information from the sensor to the viewfinder. This means a delay between transferred information--called refresh rate. What this means is that the image in the viewfinder is not in real-time and comes with a noticeable delay. The NX30 does have a slightly slowed viewfinder, however it is not enough to really interfere with shooting however if you have never used a mirrorless camera before, you will notice.

[---Sensor Size---]

Although I do not have much experience with the other mirrorless cameras out there, here are the numbers for the size of the 'sensor' for the NX30 and its competitors.

Larger number equals better picture quality in most cases.

Canon 70D: 338 Canon EOS 70D 20.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF (Body Only)
Samsung NX30: 369)
Nikon 1 V3: 117 (Nikon 1 V3 Digital Camera with 1 NIKKOR 10-30mm PD-Zoom Lens

---------------------------------

The benefits of the NX30 are the size (which is smaller than DSLRs), the quality (equal to or better than its DSLR competitors), the price (lower than cameras in the same class), and video capture. If you are solely a DSLR shooter, this NX30 may be the best option for you if want the best mid-range camera (less than 1,000$).

5.0 out of 5 stars NX30 review from a beginner, January 1, 2015
Let me start off by saying that I by no means have ANY experience with photography, to the point where the only camera I have ever owned is the built in camera on my phone :) With that being said, I can't really compare it to any other cameras out in the market so my review is solely based on my experience with the NX30.

The reason I decided to go with this camera over the Cannon's and Nikons of the world is purely for the bells and whistles if I'm going to be honest. The built in WiFi, the touchscreen, the adjustable viewfinder and because it's Samsung and I'm a bit of a Samsung fan boy. It was a about $100 - $200 more expensive than the Cannon's and Nikon's I was looking at so I was a bit worried that I was spending more money then I should, considering I have no background in photography and I was really just buying this so that I can play with it and see if photography is something I wanted to do more of.

All that aside, once I got the camera and turned it on, all doubt went out the door. It's a very compact camera in my opinion; great weight, seems solid and for not having actually read any of the manual it was pretty simple to power on and start shooting away. My camera came with the 18-55mm lense that has the iFunction built in and to me I love that thing.

I downloaded the Samsung Smart Camera App on my phone and it honestly makes me want to go out and take more photos more often. The app allows you to use your phone as a viewfinder so I was able to be in my own family photos for the holidays and use my phone to make sure the shot was in good focus. I can also send the photos to my phone and any other phones that download the app as well, instantly; no need to say "I'll send you this once I get home and plug it into my PC".

I personally haven't figured out all the different modes yet, but they all seem to be pretty reliable from what I can tell. If you're looking for a good all purpose camera, I would highly recommend this as long as you can look past the slightly higher price tag. The camera came with a booklet that shows all the other NX camera lenses that are available from Samsung which got me excited, until I saw that some of them are $400+ which I'm not sure that I'm personally ready to make that type of additional investment. I'm not sure how much cannon and nikon lenses go for, so you might want to take that into consideration as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›