4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera
I have waited a few weeks to post a review to use it a bit and see what I think. I tried and tried to get this camera for weeks: always "back ordered." Everywhere. I don't know if this was a Samsung issue or if the camera really was popular. But I LOVE it.

I give it only 4 stars because as an "advanced hobbyist" I can see that any...
Published 5 months ago by Sojourner1

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not get this camera for vlogging!!
Published 3 months ago by Sarah Bruna

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, June 29, 2014

I give it only 4 stars because as an "advanced hobbyist" I can see that any professional photographer will dismiss this as a toy and it is a bit gimmicky. But the photo quality is amazing.

I did order the 9-27 mm lens kit with external flash accessory included. I did not ever need to use the external flash. I found the low light capabilities of this camera exceptional. I'm not sure that an external flash is really needed at all, especially if you use a tripod.

This kit did come with a lens cover. I see that the 9mm only version does not come with a lens cover. But I have seen other reviews that indicate that you can buy one, perhaps at an excessive cost, from Samsung. I did appreciate the lens cover, The 9-27 mm lens does make the tiny camera a bit "front heavy" and the cover kept the lens protected.

This camera is so small, even with the 9-27 mm lens, that it fit in a jacket pocket easily. (It probably won't fit well in a pants pocket.) I had a couple of jackets with me, one denim jacket with an inside pocket and this slipped in perfectly. I also had a linen "safari" jacket with front patch pockets and again, this fit fine.

My camera arrived literally the day before a planned vacation to Paris. I didn't have much time to fiddle around with it before getting into it which made me somewhat nervous to even take it. But it is SO small, there really is no deterrent to packing it. What I learned very quickly is that this camera is VERY intuitive. Although there are no dials or even very many buttons, everything is there.

The battery life is unbelievable. I was in Paris for about 10 days and took anywhere from 100 to 300 pictures per day, with a lot of "practicing" and manipulating the settings and the battery never once got even close to empty. I have never had this benefit in any camera before. It was most welcome.

The camera does not come with a micro SD card (although I have seen some packages that include one). But for the price, I don't find this a deal breaker by any means.

The "Mode" button brings up Auto, Smart (beauty, best face, continuous shooting, kids, landscape, macro, food, etc.), Program, Aperture priority, Shutter priority, manual, and the Wifi setting (email, group share, remote viewfinder, etc.).

The touchscreen is wonderful, although small and perhaps a bit low in resolution. But for the tiny size of this camera, you have to sacrifice something.

I use a Samsung smartphone (Note 3) and found the linkup to be easy and without issue. I did not get the chance to use the remote viewfinder on my trip or since. But given how easy it was to set up the link between my phone and camera, I can believe it is probably easy to set up and use.

One issue I did have in the linkup process was for my first camera to phone transfers, I had not set up the transfer size and the photos were of very small resolution. Fortunately, the default setting was to only copy the photos, not cut and paste. So the originals were still on my camera. At about day 3, I figured this out and changed the transfer size to "original."

The full 180 flip-up screen for selfies was nice. My expertise in selfies, however, is terrible so other than the convenience, I cannot comment.

I very much liked the "pop up" tips in the camera. (You can turn this off in the settings.) It does have a bit of a lag so give it a few seconds, but for every selection you make, if you wait 2-3 seconds, a pop-up will appear and tell you what it the setting will do.

This camera does shoot RAW. In fact, there are many options for the photo quality from normal to fine to superfine to RAW + fine, superfine, normal. The ISO ranges up to 25,600 with the extension on. You can also change the ISO step from 1/3 to full.

There is a Picture Wizard setting that has several pre-sets (filters) for landscape, vivid, portrait, forest, retro, etc. There is also the Smart Filter mode which has beauty face, best face, kids, landscape, macro, food, etc.

I have not used any video settings yet so I cannot comment.

There is a "drive" setting so you can select for single, continuous, burst, timer, AF bracket, White Balance bracket (which I have never seen before on any camera), Picture Wizard bracket, depth bracket, etc.

There are a few Dynamic Range settings as well.

I was hoping to post some photo samples but I don't see an option for that with this post. I did add some to the product page so take a look.

Overall, I really enjoy this camera and cannot wait to use it to its full potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars A novelty? Yes. A tool for photography? Absolutely., April 26, 2014
My current camera collection consists of a Canon 5d3 and L glass, a pair of Sony A7's with FE lenses, a GoPro and an iPhone 5s. I've also owned micro four thirds cameras and was an early adopter for the Fujifilm X system. I say this not because I'm trying to convince you that I'm a real photographer... I just want you to know that I have a lot of experience with digital photography technology. To say the least, I'm an enthusiast that loves to document life.

Off bat, what interested me was the small minimal form with a 1 inch sensor, the tiny 24mm equivalent pancake lens and the rotating "selfie" screen.

The small form factor: It's very fashionable. I called it a novelty because it's unusual and kinda cute. Great for parties and events. The camera feels premium. I'm quite astounded how they managed to fit a huge battery (rated 600+ shots) in such a small body.

The sensor and lens. I haven't done a ton of pixel peeping but the sensor seems to be pretty darn good at lower ISOs. I don't plan on using this for any sort of low light photography but I wouldn't mind turning the flash on and taking some group photos (or group selfies) of friends. Also, the pancake lens is superbly sharp. A bit slow at f/3.5 but again, I don't plan on shooting in dim lighting with this (without flash).

The "selfie" screen. I'm not ashamed of the selfie. I don't mind taking a selfie here and there to document me in front of amazing views or worldly landmarks. I've often handed my camera to a stranger to come back to a blurry photo or odd composition. While the 24mm won't get a whole lot of the background, it gets enough without distorting my face too much.

Are there things that could be better? Of course. The lens for instances has no cap or cover. It's almost like mobile phones where the main glass is covered by another glass.

Wink face detection. When you wink, the photo is taken after a few beeps. It's a cool feature so that you're not pressing the shutter button down that may cause camera shake, but the winking is a little buggy. Hoping they can fine tune it with a firmware upgrade, otherwise they should have omitted it all together. I wouldn't put a feature that was more frustrating than useful on a product.

I'm not sure how much more the camera would retail for if they added a higher resolution LCD screen, but it would have definitely been welcome, especially at this day in age.

All in all, it's just a really fun camera that packs a punch when put in the right hands. I feel it's also priced rather competitively and you get a good deal for what you're paying for in my opinion. And while the flip screen may seem like a novelty or a one trick pony to some people, for me, it's actually a versatile camera with great image quality relative to its sensor size.

4.0 out of 5 stars liking it so far....but with a few reservations, May 16, 2014
received my NX mini today--the mint green on with the 9-27mm lens kit. i have been playing with it off and on most of the day. takes great photos, macro, selfies, and others.

my 2 reservations....the info from the manufacturer states that an adapter is included in the box. this is not true. i spoke with samsung today, who were very nice, but the adapter must be bought separately. i think this is deceptive. in order to use any other lenses i will have to buy an adapter. the other reservation is that the adobe lightroom 5 software bundled with the camera is just a 30 test version. after 30 days you have to buy a license. again i think this is deceptive.

if not for those 2 things i would give this fun, cute little baby a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Slim, Excellent Photos/Video, Interchangeable Lens, NFC, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This camera is super slim (under 1" thick without a lens!) which I really like since most of the time, I just want a really good camera that is easy to carry in my purse or day bag. Something that takes better pix than my S5 smartphone but not a big lug like my D-SLR camera. This is the camera I'm taking on vacation this year. It's really fun to use & takes excellent photos.

The Android compatibly/features are really useful if you are already an Android smartphone user like I am. I do not have any knowledge of its use with Apple so can't comment.

The market for this camera is probably "advanced hobbyist" as opposed to true enthusiasts but this is an upscale snap & shoot camera with many excellent features including those interchangeable lens. The one downside to a small camera like this is that the lens does not retract all the way in to the camera so you are not getting the full benefit of that slim profile.

Highlights:
-The 3-inch flip-up LCD touch screen has a lower resolution screen than my S5 smartphone but still looks good.
-Takes really good 1080p Full HD video at 30 frames per second.
-Hooray, it has NFC! And it's located in an easy-to-use location - the front bottom. It works flawlessly with my S5 smartphone.
-It has a small built-in flash in addition to the included external flash.
-It takes excellent nighttime photos - goes to ISO 25600! Impressive in a pocket camera.
-Has a waterfall photo feature which I love since I will go miles out of my way to see even a small waterfall.
-Excellent battery life - they claim up to 600+ photos. I've taken 400+ so far with no recharge. The battery does not need to be removed for charging like some cameras (Battery B740AU).
-The NX mini takes only MicroSDHC memory cards (not included). Do yourself a favor & buy one when you order the camera because this baby will have you shooting a lot of pix. I am using a 32GB memory card. I upload to the cloud frequently, so this is plenty for my use.
-The "selfie" screen - ok, you know you do it.....most people take selfies at least occasionally. This will be so nice to have on vacation so you don't have to always ask someone to take your picture. The 27mm lens gets a decent shot of you & yours with the Washington Monument in the background.
-According to Samsung, A 17mm f1.8 (46mm equivalent) lens will be available in July. And Samsung NX lens will work on this camera too ....BUT to use NX lens you have to buy an adapter NX-M Mount Adapter (ED-MA4NXM).

And to be shallow....this camera is really good looking ;)....while taking really good photos.

8/5/2014 FYI: I recently ordered a case for this camera; there are few options if you want a quick open/close case while leaving the lens on. I found this one on Amazon. It is shipping from SHENZHEN EMS - China.....so transit time is lonnnnnng (7-20 days estimated). I will update my review when I get the case.
Westlinke Ever Ready Protective Leather Brown Camera Case Bag for Samsung NX Mini Camera with 9-27mm Lens+Westlinke LOGO stylus

8/11/2014: I received the Westlinke case today & it fits! Actually a very nice case for the money & allows me to leave the lens & case on while snapping pictures. I reviewed it on its product page.

8/28/2014: I bought this strap to replace the uncomfortable/cheap neck strap that came with the Westlinke camera case. This strap is very comfortable & just right for the weight of this camera. It can be attached to the case but not to the camera body.
OP/TECH USA E-Z Comfort Strap - Black

9/19/2014: I bought this wrist strap to replace the wrist strap that came with the camera. Works well as insurance in case I drop the camera.
COSMOS 5 pcs Black Nylon ROUND Hand Wrist Strap Lanyard For Camera Cell phone ipod mp3 mp4 PSP Wii and other Electronic Devices + Cosmos cable tie

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas fall short in the execution, September 29, 2014
Being a professional photographer and graphic designer doesn't mean I always have a $5000 camera in my hands, in fact that is the last thing I would want to lug around for a weekend trip to the zoo or while on vacation.

But it does seem to mean that I have an uncontrollable urge to want to own every new camera that offers some new and unique feature. When I'm walking out the door to do a pro shoot I know what tools to take with me. The same can be said when I'm ready to have some fun. I ask myself how "good" the pictures have to be, will it be wet, do I need extreme zoom, do I want the smallest possible camera to stuff in my pocket, do I really need a camera at all or will my smartphone do just fine?

The Samsung NX mini has some definitely unique features. The most noticeable is the selfie screen. While I'm not the person who takes non-stop selfies, there are times when I happen to be with someone I want to have a picture with and there's no convenient person to hand off my camera to. The idea behind the selfie screen is great and for the most part well executed but somewhere along the way the concept got lost between idea and product design. What drags it down is the fact that the flush-mounted shutter release button is the traditional type located in the traditional place, which makes it very awkward to operate without shaking the camera or worse, dropping it. It's also way too easy to accidently press the power button by mistake and miss that once-in-a-lifetime shot. Also, when the screen is fully swung upward it tends to restrict easy access to the shutter button. And maybe worst of all, don't try to take a flash selfie. You can't. The flash is right under the shutter release button, which means you block the flash with your hand when you reach for the shutter.

Note to Samsung - the ideal location would have been a button on the rear of the camera so the user can simply squeeze their fingers together to activate the shutter. Samsung tries to overcome this by using a cute "wink to take picture" feature. Again, an idea that sounds good on paper that only works well some of the time, either because it doesn't work at all sometimes or sometimes it confuses a wink with a natural blink. And if someone is in the frame with you, you have to warn them not to wink and if they do to open their eyes immediately. We have all used smartphones where Siri or Google or whatever can be activated by saying a certain code word ... why not just say "selfie" to make the camera take a picture. So bottom line one of the camera's biggest selling points in not that great.

Another big selling point is how thin the camera is. Well, no it's not. In real life it doesn't make any difference how thin the camera body is if it can't be used without a lens attached. And attaching a lens is what keeps it from being pocketable, especially if you attach the zoom lens. Plus, the lens does not have a lens cap, so I for one would not want to stuff a camera that costs almost $400 in my pocket with the glass exposed. So again, what seems to be a great feature isn't really so great in execution.

Speaking of price, compared to some excellent cameras in the marketplace, the Samsung NX mini is not price competitive. It's a very nice point-and-shoot but not a $400 point-and-shoot.

The last feature Samsung promotes is the baby monitoring function. They were really reaching when they came up with the concept of leaving your $400 camera in the baby's room. There are much more useful and dependable ways to monitor a baby, this camera would not be the best choice.

Picture quality is what you would expect from a point-and-shoot with this camera's specs, not awesome but not bad either. Let's say you won't be disappointed and you will probably not end up with a lot of bad photos.

I like this camera despite its design quirks and frankly the mint green color is so 50's retro that it's cool. If you plan to buy it primarily for selfies, don't, your smartphone will probably do just as good of a job. If you think you can casually throw it into your pocket or purse, this may not be the best camera for you. If you're buying it mainly because it has interchangeable lenses, why? That defeats the ultra-slim body and you can buy a much more capable camera than this if you plan to get serious about changing lenses.

But if you want to travel lightweight and want something better than a cheapie, take a closer look, this may be the one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid little camera with 1 inch BSI sensor, July 29, 2014
Gerry Pedraza "Gerry" (College Station, Texas) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying I was looking for a camera to complement my SLR. It's always difficult for most people to try other cameras than those from the big names: Canon, Nikon, Sony. I'm trying new stuff. Changed my Canon SLR for a mirrorless Fuji X pro1 and I have been pleased with trying new things. So instead of buying a Panasonic Lumix which in my mind is one of the best options for pocketable cameras I tried Samsung. It was really difficult finding objective substantive reviews on this camera or even Youtube videos, so I bought it just based on specs and a few review that I found.
Here is the logic I followed to purchase this camera:

While this camera is not very pocketable, because of its lens, it's small enough to fit in a med case you can wear around your belt.
While the lens is not very bright f3.5,it has a BSI 1 inch sensor, that can rival other's f2.0 with non BSI smaller sensors.
While the screen has not a high res, it does the job and is viewable from all angles thanks to Samsung's AMOLED technology.
While it uses micro SD cards, they are not very expensive and even class 4 cards work well with the camera.
While the lens causes some distortion when fully wide, it is awesome for taking selfies, with the aid of the flippable screen.

The battery can be charged inside the camera and uses the same size as Samsung's S4 phones, so they are easy to get at a good price, plus the stamina is awesome. I believe you can get 400-500 shots on a single charge, plus the camera is the charger. No extra things to pack.
I'm still testing the camera, but so far I like the manual modes and the auto as well. The touch screen makes everything easy to access and the camera interface is easy to navigate and understand. While the built-in flash is a joke, it comes with an external one of a decent size, that I haven't been able to use, because it blocks the screen from flipping.
One thing that I did not like is having to remove a lens cap and store it somewhere, then unlock the lens, then use it... Wow long start up times with this procedure, but on the other hand it is a very decent lens for the price that I paid for the camera and lens.
The camera body is impressive, very solid and esthetic, and the buttons are responsive and well placed. The picture quality and detail is very good for a camera this size. No it will not rival an RX-100 III, but it costs considerably less and perform well.

The video stabilization is not the best I have seen but it helps, and the video quality looks good.
I hope this helps when making your decision. I tried offering pros and cons by leveraging both. There is a new bright prime lens coming out soon... hope I can get my hands on it and try it. I would say give this mini a chance if you know how to handle a camera. If you are looking for something more point and shoot try the new Lumix. Thanks for reading.

UPDATE:
The battery is not the same as the S4 and the battery life is not so great as advertised. I have been struggling to find extra batteries. I have only found them at BHphoto at around $50. Thinking about returning the camera because I'm not paying that much for a battery. Try finding B740AU batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera, Great Amazon Customer Service, May 30, 2014
I haven't used the camera too much yet and I am not a photographer in the slightest. Love it so far. Has lots of great features and is beautiful to look at (mint colour). I'm mainly writing this review to clear up some of the other comments in the reviews.

The camera advertises as coming with a lens adapter. It does not. This is a separate accessory that needs to be purchased. I'm unsure why the description has not been updated as this issue is known.
Samsung was no help when I contacted them. Amazon on the other hand tried their best to find the adapter but it was sold out everywhere. Instead they refunded me the value of the adapter, which is above and beyond what was expected they would do. Very satisfied with this.

A couple of other notes from other reviews. The 9-27mm version does come with a wall power adaptor and lens caps. Other reviews stated that wasn't the case, but perhaps that's the case with the 9mm alone. As well, the adobe program is not just a trial. The registration code is provided. Also, purchase a memory card (micro sd) right away as you can only save one picture without one and can't use many of the features that require wifi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the photo quality! Though, not as compact as I'd like due to the interchangeable lens, July 5, 2014
This review is from: Samsung NX Mini 20.5MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 9-27mm Lens and 3" Flip Up LCD Touch Screen (Black) (Electronics)
Samsung NX Mini

The NX Mini is regarded as an entry-level compact NX, but honestly the quality is good enough that it makes my other digital cameras feel like cheap smartphone cameras. The 20.5 MP images are crisp with almost no chromatic aberration that I typically find in some digital SLRs and especially with standard CCD/CMOS digital cameras. The low-light photo quality is exceptional as well.

The maximum video recording setting is 1080P at 30 fps, which is a far cry from most action cameras like the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition and even the Samsung S5 smartphone.

There are numerous ways to share photos wirelessly with the NX Mini, which makes it convenient since pulling the micro SD card can be cumbersome at times. It also makes posting photos to Facebook far easier when you are on vacation or away from a PC, as it can be shared directly to a smartphone. The problem is the Samsung app, at least for Android, isn’t very stable and is full of bugs. Trying to get the remote viewfinder caused the app to stop working a few times. There is definitely room for improvement with the app.

The touch screen viewfinder is a great touch as it now feels like a smartphone. I found myself automatically touching the screen instead of working the mechanical buttons. However, it was very easy to accidentally touch the screen while handling the camera or handing the camera over to a friend. That said, it isn’t a deal breaker as flipping the screen up makes it very easy to take selfies or to take small group shots while checking the framing.

The 9-27mm lens feels like a compact SLR lens, but it is heavy enough to cause the camera to tilt down when placed on a flat surface. The lens also requires manually locking it during transport or else it sticks out too much. Extending the lens is easy, but locking the lens required some familiarization. I was almost ready to snap the lens in half trying to retract it, until I noticed I had to pull the focus ring away from the camera body. It would have been nice to have instructions placed right on the lens, or make everything automatic/motorized. There’s also a lens cap that is included, but the tabs are so small that it is difficult to manipulate at times. There’s also a lack of a lens cap keeper, so the cap will be very easily to loose

The camera body itself is compact, but the 9-27mm lens sticks out enough that it really doesn’t lend itself to be a compact camera. I cannot fit it into a pocket, and I would need a special case that has room for the protruding lens. The built-in flash is easy to block with a finger, the included external flash is easy to install on the hot shoe but it makes the top of the camera feel crowded and busy.

Overall: 5/5 stars, the camera takes exceptionally good photographs with minimal distortion. The image stabilization is phenomenal, I can take quite a few low light photographs without using the flash.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not get this camera for vlogging!!, August 4, 2014
If you are getting this camera for its video function DO NOT DO IT!!! I got this camera because it was really cute and has a flip screen. It is great for still images and I love that it can send photos to my Samsung smart phone. My biggest problem is the auto focus during video. It will continually try (and usually fail) to focus during video which is really annoying and ruins the video. You can also hear the motor on video while the camera is trying to focus. I've had this camera just under two months and if I could return the camera I would but my return period is over. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Amazing Camera, July 14, 2014
Stephen W. Templar "rexGun" (Winchester, Virginia - United States of America) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very impressive camera. The build quality is excellent. The lens works perfectly and the images are really really good. I'm not much of a photographer but my shots with this camera are among the best I have ever taken.

The operation and controls are quite easy to manage. The touch screen is awesome. The feature to flip the screen forward and then wink at the camera for self or group shots is quite cool. It really works and makes taking those shots easy and, thankfully, no longer time dependent.

In full auto mode, this camera is quite intelligent. It seems to grasp the nature of most shots correctly and adjust accordingly. I have taken some awesome macro shots without any adjustments to the camera, on my part.

Overall, I would say that Samsung hit a home run with this NX Mini camera. I am very impressed and equally pleased with the camera. Highly recommended!