5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Intel, here's the new Speed Demon
Published on December 30, 2011 by J. DALE

2.0 out of 5 stars Got a Bad Disk - Going back for a refund
Very thin and sexy looking drive. While it worked it was fast.

Went with Samsung as I have few of their mechanical hard drives and monitors. Samsung never failed me before. However this one is going back. I probably got a bad one. It had too many bad sectors. Tried installing couple of different linux Operating systems (fedora 17, oracle linux 6.2, debian 6.2)...
Published on June 15, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Intel, here's the new Speed Demon, December 30, 2011
J. DALE "J. DALE" (Palestine, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This drive is blazing fast. My computer didn't have any Sata 3 connections on the motherboard, so I used an empty PCI-E x 1 slot to add a Sata 3 controller. Using that, I got a perfect 7.9 on the windows experience index score (7.9 is the best score possible currently). Using an Intel 320 series SSD, I had a 7.4, and using a Kingston SSDNOW V100+, I had a 7.0... so this Samsung is a step above and beyond other SSDs. Everything on my PC seems to happen instantly now.

From what I've read on the matter... Samsung SSDs have a very low failure rate, second only to Intel, but far better than other competitors. This is also faster than Intel's current fastest SSD, and it's much cheaper. Speed, price, and reliability... all that together is hard to beat. Add to that, it has none of the hassles that all of the SSDs with Sandforce controllers frequently have (Kingstons, OCZs, Corsairs, Patriots, etc.).

Buy this without the kit, if possible, or with the notebook kit if you want a USB to Sata adapter.

I found it to be almost worthless. The 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter came in handy, but I've gotten better ones for a few bucks on Amazon (that could mount 2 drives instead of 1).

I had done a little reading about Norton Ghost a while back, and it looked like a nice program to have. At a $70 price tag, it should be. It makes it a difficult process to clone your old hard drive to your new Samsung, though. It is not capable of copying your recovery partition, either.

I ended up scrapping the idea of using Ghost to copy my drive, and pulled out my trusty bootable Acronis True Image CD (that came with my old Kingston SSD). It made quick work of cloning my drive, and didn't require any software to be installed on my PC. Western Digital has a very useable version of their software available to download free on WD's website (the Western Digital version is free and can be used on any drive; however, there must be a Western Digital drive, either internal or external, connected to your system to start the program).

So, I didn't see much value in the desktop bundle, but I guess I can't argue with a $70 program being included (although, I'll be deleting it soon).

All in all, this is one of the best SSDs on the market currently, and at a very competitive price. The only shortcomings it has, are easily compensated for with free, or cheap, stuff. If I had another PC in need of a FAST SSD, I'd buy another of these in a snap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid and FAST!, December 14, 2011
the-g-man (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the single best upgrade I have ever had in 26 years of building systems. This thing just flat out screams and is rock solid to "boot". No controller issues or firmware upgrades needed...ahhhh how nice - finally a killer SSD on the market. On a SATA III connection I'm reading 520 and writing at 399. I open Photoshop, iTunes and QuickBooks just for giggles now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got Sexy, Speed, and Stability?, January 12, 2012
Calypso (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This was my first venture into SSD drives. I originally had considered going with a cheaper option, most notably Corsairs' FORCE series or OCZ's VERTEX/AGILITY. However, as I started to research those products more in-depth, I realize I would be playing russian roulette with my data as a result of the instability of the drives due to sandforce controller issues that, at the time of this writing, seem to be slightly resolved as a result of OCZ's help. In the end, my search narrowed down to the leading maker of this field, Crucial, and Samsung. Why Samsung? Well, Samsung was a brand that I knew and was very reputable. Moreover, it's flash ram was used by Apple prior to the android scuffle.

I ended up choosing Samsung's drive over Crucial's drive for the following reasons:
1. Success and Brand. Samsung desperately needed a success in the SSD field since it's first attempt was met with a tepid reception. This subsequent attempt was very well put together in my mind. The drive utilized the latest in technology (i.e. SATA III). Furthermore, the drive is sleek, smooth, and sexy beast. Lastly, the pricing is a clear indicator that Samsung wants to be seen as a leading competitor in this field.
2. SSD Magician. Samsung's accompanying program SSD Magician provides an array of well thought options with a very easy to use GUI. Moreover, with your permission, it highlights and then changes options that negatively affect the drive performance. Furthermore, the program allows you to schedule OS optimizations and garbage collection empties. finally, one of the most important selling points, was the ability to upgrade the drives firmware without having to jump through hoops similar to flashing the bios. With this drive, I could do it just from windows.
3. Speed. This drive is fast. Really, really, really fast. Benchmark-wise my sequential write speeds are just over 300 mb/s and my sequential read speeds sit around 520 mb/s. 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index (WEI). To put how fast this drive is in perspective: Windows 7 Professional was installed in under 10 minutes, windows updates take about half the time to install in comparison to my non-ssd computer, and boot takes about 11 seconds from the BIOS finishing posting (total: 36 seconds). More importantly, if I blink when launching Adobe Photoshop CS5.5, I miss its flash screen!
4. Cost benefits. Samsung was really thorough with their kits. For instance, it included a mounting bracket (~$10), really bloody good Ghost data migration tool ($70), and a free top-selling, highly rate videogame ($50). So, I gained about $130 of nice tools/assets. At the time I purchased this, crucial's drive was $10 less than this drive. So, the $10 that I saved I would of had to reinvest to acquire a third party mounting bracket with no compatibility guarantees. However, I would have also lost out on the $120 worth of other goodies.

Positives (elaborated above):
Fast
Stylish
Reliability
Great Software Support

Negatives:
This drive does not play nice with Marvell controllers. But what SSD does?
SSD Magician does not recognize the drive in RAID setup.
The steps in the instruction manual detailing how to transfer an existing windows 7 install to the SSD are incomplete as a result of Windows 7 partition alignment. There are quite a few hoops that you have to jump through to get it working correctly that I'll leave to a third-party technology site to detail. In reality though, it is far better to do a fresh install and I highly recommend it.
Mounting bracket does not have holes on the bottom to secure the drive to a case tray. Your case will need to allow you to mount the drive via the side. (a.k.a it isn't quite a "universal" mounting bracket)
Price per gigabyte is a bit high as a result of the Crucial drive's price dropping significantly (at the time of this writing).

Overall, this product deserves a solid five stars due to the positives overwhelmingly outweighing the negatives and the lack of trouble I've experienced so far with it. It has met all my expectations and even exceeded one or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars MacBook Pro 15.4" Early 2011 2.2ghz i7, February 13, 2012
So far this ssd is great.

I personally own an 80gb intel 320 ssd, and a Ocz vertex 2(first generation, before OCZ went downhill...), and this drive is much faster than both. I was seriously considered purchasing an intel 320 120gb over this drive, but because this drive is Sata iii, I decided against it. I am glad I did.

I have trim enabled in Mac Os X using "TrimEnabler" Beta 2.0, if you haven't heard of it, it's a freeware app that enables trim in mac osx. One side note is, if your installing this in a laptop, be sure to purchase the "Laptop" kit, I accidentally purchased the desktop kit, which is about 5$ more expensive than the laptop kit. Lastly, the included "Norton Ghost" is useless to Mac Os X, I personally recommend "Carbon Copy Cloner" for cloning your drive, it's a freeware program that is actually recommended by intel for cloning your new ssd.

One last thought, My friend owns the Early 2011 17" Macbook pro w/ the 2.3ghz i7 upgrade, he is using a intel 320 80gb and his boot time is much slower than mine, im not entirely sure why this is, but the Samsung 830 definitely boots much faster than the Intel 320.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greased Lightning, January 11, 2012
(NOTE: This review is for the 128GB version of the Samsung 830 SSD. If you are seeing it under any other size or type of 830, it is because Amazon cross-posts similar product reviews together and we reviewers have no control over it)

I just upgraded my C: drive from a RAID 0 array of two WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 32MB cache volumes to a pair of the Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SATA III Desktop kit (also put in RAID 0). Although the 830 promises compatibility with SATA III @ 6GB/s, my RAID controller is SATA II @ 3GB/s.

Because this was my C: drive, manually using Samsung's tools to put together the RAID array was out of the question. However, I can tell you that I played with both the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and its replacement, the Intel RapidStorage Technology. Both work with these drives just as easily as any other.

The difference between the "Laptop" and "Desktop" kits is as follows:
Laptop: comes with an external SATA-to-USB cable for plugging the drive straight into a USB port (it will work without having to have its own power source) and a plastic mounting frame that can be used to install the drive in a wider laptop bay.
Desktop: comes with a mounting bracket for fitting the drive into a 3.5" bay, screws to secure the drive, a power connector (4-pin Molex from your PC's power supply to standard SATA power connector on the drive), and a standard SATA data cable.

Both come with Norton Ghost and the 128GB and larger sizes also come with a free download voucher for Arkham City (download expires in March 2012!)

Like all SSDs, the 830 is unbelievably light. It also has a pretty sleek black brushed metal finish that almost makes you wish your hard drives had a window so you could show them off. For me, the drive slid easily into place and once we were off and running, there was no looking back.

These drives are amazing! My Windows Experience Index (a rating from 1.0 to 7.9) pegged the ceiling at 7.9. Although Samsung claims sequential reads of up to 520MB/s and sequential write speeds of 320MB/s, I got great response out of my RAID array despite the slower SATA II controller. I took a read of the drive after having installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition. Passmark's benchmarks are:
Sequential Read: 490.5
Sequential Write: 471.1
Random Seek + RW: 412.4

The box also included the Samsung Magician, a very easy-to-use collection of utilities and links to any documentation you might want to read on the drive, from the simple & friendly to the deep-down technical. There are performance benchmarking tools but I'm sorry to say that those were unable to detect my drive, most likely because of the fact that it's in a RAID configuration. A nice touch was that with the click of a button, the Samsung software will automatically make the SSD adjustments you'd normally have to do yourself. It will give you a list so you can pick and choose, but what we're referring to is disabling ReadyBoost and Superfetch and turning off Windows Disk Defragmenter.

Arkham City is gorgeous. Load times are about 10-15 seconds. Skyrim is gorgeous. Neither stutters. And of course programs load lightning-fast. Accessing things across a home network is still laggy, but this is the nature of network latency and not the fault of the drive: once you launch a program, it's ready to go.

I was hesitant to dive into SSD for my main desktop. Now that I have the Samsung 830, I have no regrets at all. This blazing peek into the future of hard drives was money well spent.

TIP: I use PerfectDisk 12.5 from Raxco to optimize my SSDs: it has the ability to properly optimize an SSD without the wear and tear of a typical defragmenter.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2x256 GB in RAID 0, March 29, 2012
I upgraded from a Kingston V100 64GB boot drive combined with HDDs for program files and storage to 2 of the 256GB models in RAID 0 on SATA-III. I've been running them for about a month without any problems. Windows 7 Ultimate boots in 9 seconds to login prompt and to desktop in 4 seconds after login to a fully usable system. Battlefield 3 load times went from about a minute to load a map to 15 seconds. Between rounds, a map will reload in as little as 3 seconds. Windows experience score is maxed at 7.9.

CrystalDiskMark Bench:

Seq Read: 915.0 MB/s
Seq Write: 797.4 MB/s
4KQD32 Read: 463.0 MB/s
4KQD32 Write: 256.7 MB/s

Negatives:

1> TRIM is not yet supported in RAID 0. This is supposed to be fixed in the next version of Intel RST. However, after a month of use, my benchmarks have not suffered noticeably. These drives seem to do a good job with garbage collection.

2> The included Samsung software does not work with the drives in a RAID 0 configuration. This is a major annoyance.

Overall, I love these drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SSD!, January 9, 2012
I almost purchased the Crucial M4 SSD but I'm glad that I didn't. I was torn between Intel's, Crucial and Samsung's SSD. If you are unsure, it's best to not rush and do your research. This is a SATA III SSD. If you have a motherboard that has SATA III ports then you will be amazed at the speeds. I recently retooled my gaming system but adding, subtracting and keeping some parts. This was my first SSD purchase. I will admit I was a little nervous.

I was amazed at the size of this particular SSD. It is so small, it fits in the palm of your hand. It's so lightweight that it's easy to not realize you have it in your hand. The desktop kit comes with a 3.5" tray, screws, SATA III cable, instruction manuel, Norton's Ghost, and for specially marked boxes; a code to download Batman: Arkanam City.

In my CM HAF 932 case, I installed the SSD and the accompanying tray. If the plastic 3.5" tray in the case has pins, it was best to remove them; I did. I then used the other screw holes to tighten the SSD in place on 3.5" tray that came with the SSD along with the tray in my case. To make sure it was secure, I placed it in the center of the tray. From the looks of it and attaching the SATA cable as well as the power, things were a little more snug than I wanted but no issues. I just rearranged my HDD's and made the SSD a little higher up. It was easier to connect it to the PSU if it's the first one from the top going down (If you have multiple storage drives).

When firing up my system, I loved the fact that my motherboard (Asus Gen3 Pro board) recognized that my Windows 7 disc was in the DVD drive and changed the boot order for me. It put the SSD drive 2nd. ***It's best to disconnect all other storage devices except the SSD). The SSD quickly loaded up Windows for the initial install. I was amazed at how fast Windows 7 installed on the SSD. It took about 15minutes for a complete install (including 1 restart). When the installation process was complete, I was amazed at how fast the SSD loaded Windows to the desktop. It had to be about 15-20 seconds. Simply Amazing!

Windows 7 and all drivers (sound card, mouse, keyboard, monitor, motherboard disc (with all drivers), video card) left me with 78GB out of 128GB (had 120GB to work with).

*I have the SSD connected to my SATA III Intel controller (SATA III). The choices I had was JMicron, Intel or Marvel. Intel's controller was highly recommended. *

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed up your computer..... until next time., July 15, 2012
UPDATE 7/21/12

After doing a couple of simple tweaks this drive has sped up.

Also I replaced my video card with an ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 and I can see that the old video card was making the computer act slower than it really was.

My system is now incredably fast!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always gotten a bigger "bang for the buck" by installing a faster hard drive than just about anything else.

Faster CPUs, memory, motherboards are important of course, but everything has to get its marching orders from the OS and the programs on the hard drive.

Now there are 2 ways to set this up. On one side you have the "YOU GOTA DO A FRESH INSTALL!!!" On the other side you have the problem that it took you several years to set up your system just the way that you wanted. Simply finding all of the programs so that you can reinstall them will take a lot of work.

On the "YOU GOTTA..." side I'll freely admit that on my last install I had a very fast disk and the effect of a complete, fresh, install made the system incredibly fast.

But that happens EVERY time I do a fresh install. If you did nothing to your system but do a fresh install, you'd find that you had a fast computer. That is, until 2 years down the line when you've loaded a bunch of stuff into your system. And then it's s-l-o-w. AGAIN! But if you kept the same hardware and wiped the drive again you'd find yourself with a fast system. Go figure.

The ONLY way to keep a fast system is to install very little on it!

So this time I decided to "ghost" the SSD. If it didn't turn out ok I could always do a fresh install.

Well, it worked out as I expected. Very good. The measurements say that I have a very fast drive. Even Windows says that I'm maxed out on the drive with a top score of 7.9 using Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit). My system IS significantly faster. But not as fast as those who do a fresh install. No "switch" to "fully on" in 3.447018 seconds, in other words. When people say stuff like that it doesn't really matter. Start putting a lot of programs on and your system WILL slow down over time.

Take note that I started with a fast HDD with a large internal cache, so the SSD was not as big an improvement for me as it will be for some. On many things, though, it IS a big improvement. And well worth the money.

In short - This is a very good drive, and ghosting my old HDD onto it worked out well for me. I can definitely recommend it.

P.S. For those that complain about the prices on SSDs - My first HDD was only 20meg (MEG not GIG) and cost $500. And the speed! So much faster than a tape drive! :) :) :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hardware, June 5, 2012
While Norton Ghost 15 (included in Samsung SSD deal) did make a complete copy of the old hard drive, Microsoft wouldn't recognize the Norton copy of the OS as genuine so Windows 7 wouldn't install. As a result, I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 and all the programs. Samsung 830 128gb SSD still gets a 5 star rating from me because the drive is crazy fast and the Samsung's own Magician software works well. Norton Ghost? Not so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Single Best Piece of Hardware Upgrade For My Computer, February 22, 2012
I got this SSD as an upgrade to my computer and the difference in my computer performance has been night and day. I upgraded other parts to my computer also, such as RAM, video card, mobo, etc, but none has been even close to the performance difference as this SSD has made. Windows 7 Ultimate now loads in 13 seconds!

Even though my mobo is Sata 2.0 (3gb/s) while this SSD is Sata 3.0 (it's backwards compatible) it's still very much worth the purchase. Here are my SSD benchmarks:

260mb/s sequential 128k read
150mb/s sequential 128k write
45k IOPS random 4k read
12k IOPS random 4k write

Now that I've seen first hand how much better SSD's are, every computer I build now will have one.

SSD's are not without drawbacks and they are that their performance decreases overtime and they are still relatively expensive (that's why I have 2 1tb hd's for storage) but despite this, I without a doubt recommend this Samsung SSD.

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00ghz oc'ed to 3.60ghz
-HIS ATI Radeon HD 6670 1gb DDR5 oc'ed to 900/1150mhz
-MSI P43-51 mobo
-Kingston HyperX Blu 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 (8-9-8-23)
-Samsung 830 64gb SSD & 2 1tb Seagate HD's for storage