4.0 out of 5 stars a great camera for the price
Published on September 7, 2010 by C. Geirman

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, but poor waterproofing
Published on October 21, 2010 by dcmoon

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, but poor waterproofing, October 21, 2010
This review is from: Samsung AQ100 Red 12-megapixel Digital Still Camera (Electronics)
I would have given this camera more stars, but the waterproofing is horrible. The pictures and video are decent, but won't win any awards. Good enough for vacation snapshots. The waterproofing is another story. I used the camera with no problems until the first time I took it into a pool. After 5 minutes, the LCD screen fogged up and the camera stopped working. The battery and USB connector doors were tightly closed, but it wasn't enough to prevent moisture from getting into the camera. I had only used the camera for 2 days and hadn't taken it to the beach yet, so there was no sand or dirt in the door seals. One day in the sun in a bag of rice, revived the camera, but now there is a permanent smudge on the lens in the lower right and the focus motor makes occasional clicking noises. The focus still works, but the smudge makes the camera useless. I bought this because it was half the price of other waterproof cameras, but clearly, Samsung hasn't gotten that right yet. Since the lens is internal and everything else is water RESISTANT, this camera is great if you want to use it in the rain, or at the beach, with no worries of water or sand messing up an external lens, but forget about going under water with it. Fortunately, I was within Amazon's 30 day return period and they agreed to take it back. I will be looking for another under water camera. Probably the Olympus or the Panasonic.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great camera for the price, September 7, 2010
C. Geirman (Oceanside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Most people seem to buy the blue, which now makes some sense to me. I bought the red because I thought it would be easier to see if it sank to the bottom of some body of water, but in some of the pictures, I've noticed an orange haze to the right side of the image, particularly if I'm in smart-auto mode. I've not noticed it in other modes. I'm not positive, but I suspect it may have something to do with a color cast from the camera.

In other modes, however, it seems to take great pictures. I've been using an olympus for years and was never satisfied with the picture quality. But the samsung is a significant improvement, especially outdoors.

I've only owned the camera for two weeks. I've taken flash photography indoors, and noticed that it does well when the subject is up close, but not so well when farther away. I've also taken it on a white water kayaking trip and most (not all) of the pictures came out clear, vibrant, and in focus.

The video is great. The picture and sound are both clear. I've not noticed any noise when zooming in/out during video. Stabilization isn't too useful though.

All in all, a great camera for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, February 18, 2014
Excellent quality. This product is perfect, it has all characteristics indicated. I have long in use it, and work correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Camera, November 16, 2010
Compact and easy to use. Takes great photos. Haven't tested it in water but I'm sure it is just as advertised. Hard to beat a Samsung product.

Rate and Discover Movies