5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, Simple to use Blu-ray Player (4.5/5)
I purchased this Blu-ray to replace a broken PS3; that PS3 was the only Blu-ray player I personally owned and used for years. I purchased this Blu-ray player to play Blu-ray movies and DVDs, so I won't be going deep into detail about the apps.

Published on November 25, 2012 by Jonathan

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be deceived!
First off, there are a lot of misinformation about this device. I primarily needed a 2nd BD player that has the capability of web browsing, streaming and playing files from a USB flash memory. At first, it would have seem like this would have fit the bill. Amazon does not have the specs for this model in their Samsung Disc Player Comparison chart.

WiFi
You...
Published on November 27, 2012 by Eric

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, Simple to use Blu-ray Player (4.5/5), November 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung BD-E5400 Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)

This player does not come with an HDMI cable, if you're wondering. However, it does come packaged with a remote and batteries. You also get a user manual, which is only in English. There are two insignificant ads included, as well. That is all that is packaged, so it's fairly simple.

The Blu-ray player is very small. I didn't measure it, but it's a lot smaller than my original PS3 and slightly bigger than a Nintendo Wii. The surface/top of the player is glossy, so you can see your reflection and fingerprints. The player looks very sleek, overall. I really liked the small design.

The set-up was very simple, and lasted less than 5 minutes. I'm not sure what type of WiFi this uses, though. I used my Nokia Lumia 710's internet tethering to briefly connect to the internet, but had to turn off my password/security capabilities. There was an update available, but it did not state what it was for. I updated, regardless.

I briefly tested the YouTube app. It took a few seconds to launch and the videos loaded slowly; this is most likely because of the WiFi I was using. Navigating the menus was a bit sluggish, but eventually became a bit smoother. There are 5 apps available: Netflix, Pandora, CinemaNow, Vudu, and YouTube. I can only see myself using the apps on the Blu-ray if my Xbox 360 did not work; but, again, this is not an issue personally because I purchased this for Blu-rays and Dvds.

The Blu-ray player works as expected. I first booted up "28 Days Later", and I could barely hear it; my PS3 was noisy, and I recently heard a Panasonic Blu-ray player that was a lot louder. So, it's an almost silent Blu-ray player. There is very little lag when skipping chapter or navigating menus. I also tested a South Korean Blu-ray, Memories of Murder (also Region A, but wanted to be safe); this blu-ray also worked. However, I couldn't turn on the subtitles through the remote for some reason like I could on the PS3, which meant I couldn't turn on the subtitles at all because of the foreign language menu. I deducted one point from my overall score because of this. Performance-wise, the picture quality and sound quality is the same as the PS3, or any other 1080p Blu-ray player, I'd expect.

Overall, the Blu-ray player gets the job done; it plays the Blu-rays with very few flaws and looks sleek while doing it. I should also mention, the system and the movies boot up quickly without being loud about it, which is a big plus. It does everything I want it to do, and has exceeded my expectations.

I highly recommend this Blu-ray player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn the equipment before bashing it!, January 3, 2013
Ok, so I bought this at an after Xmas sale at my local electronics store since it was really cheap. I will give you a fair review of the product as I have been using it for about a week or so and so far it is pretty good.

First let me say that aesthetically this blu-ray is very good looking. It is small and sleek and looks good just sitting there. Now a lot of the concerns I noticed were that it runs slow, and I must say out of the box, plugged in, the other reviewers are right, BUT that is because the blu-ray player shipped with version 104.3 of the firmware, the current version is 106.1, so in short there has been at least two full revisions to the firmware. To update is really simple, but you first have to set it up to your wifi which (contrary to popular belief), is actually relatively easy.

After setting up the WIFI, simply go to the settings menu, support, then look for updates, the new update takes about 3 minutes to set up and you are up and running. I primarily use Pandora and Netflix for my kids, and both work without any issues or lag. My daughter uses YouTube on it, and she has not mentioned any video/audio lag like others have mentioned, again it might be a firmware issue.

I gave the blu-ray player 4 out of 5 stars for two reasons, and they are personal preferences which may not bother other users. Number 1, is that I can not tell by looking at the Blu-Ray player if it is on, there is no light or indicator to tell me if it is on or off, until I turn my TV to the right input. Second, the input method for usernames and passwords is very, very tedious, I use complicated alphanumeric/symbol passwords and it does take a while to switch back and forth between the different input methods...anyway, again personal preference and not a knock on performance.

Overall, for under 100 bucks this BD players has worked wonderfully and has met and exceeded our expectations. If you are having issues with your BD player, I can try and assist if you send me a message!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player, November 12, 2012
Had bought another Brand and had problems with it and had to return it. Then decided to Buy this one instead and did not have a single problem. works great and very happy with it.
Would recommend this item if you are looking for a smaler blue-ray player. This player does not take up a lot of space at all

Great service and fast shipping. i would buy from them again... 5 stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be deceived!, November 27, 2012

WiFi
You cannot connect this to a wireless network that has WEP/ WPA/ WPA2 security. It can only connect to WPS. I have an older router that works perfectly fine for my needs, but now I have to change the security (basically remove security and use MAC filtering).

AllShare
This device does not have the Samsung Smart Hub or AllShare Play. I have a NAS, Win 7, Mac and it was able to detect only my Win 7 machine but it cannot play anything from my media server. I tried installing the AllShare program and it still was not able to play anything. Because it does not have SmartHub, it cannot install any other application (Amazon Instant Video for one)

Web Browsing
This device does not have any web browsing capability

Blu-Ray
It performs well enough. It boots fast.

Media from USB flash drive
It works great. Read my MKV and AVI files, although my MKV looked very choppy on screen. The AVI files looked great and it also has a function to reduce sharpness/choppiness of the file. It stretched it to 16:9

I am very disappointed with the product because of the lack of information about this on the product page would have prevented me from buying it in the first place. In addition, the difficulty to setup with existing/older generation WiFi and to my NAS was also a let down.

I am returning the product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible for Netflix Streaming, August 22, 2013
The DVD player works OK. That's the best thing I can say about this. If you're using it for Netflix streaming, look elsewhere. It freezes at least once a day, if not twice a day if you watch more than an hour of streaming video. It just won't respond at all, so I have to unplug it to reset it. Even when it is working, it has terrible lag. Several times a month I would hit pause and it wouldn't actually pause for **2 minutes** later. Plus the remote control has far too many tiny buttons that aren't intuitive--so if I'm watching a show before bed, I have to turn on the light to look for the button I need. I finally bought a Roku 3 and it's amazing how much better it is. I was afraid it was my wireless network because it's this Samsung is the 2nd one that had similar problems, but the Roku is amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for dvd and blu ray only., June 26, 2013
I had a older Samsund Blue ray player with the USB WiFi adaptor so I figured this newer model with built in WiFi must be better. Well I was wrong. The processor or whatever is needed for streaming is very slow and the remote reaction time is even slower. When you hit pause on a Netflix show it takes a good 5-10 seconds before it pauses. It also has problems with freezing in the middle of shows and it won't unfreeze even if you wait several minutes. Its a real pain when you have to unplug it to reset it because even the power button won't respond. Another issue is how long it takes to connect to my network which is a Asus gigabit router only 20 ft away. It takes about 2 minutes after the unit powers on where as my older unit with the USB WiFi card would be online as fast as the player turned on. Guess this goes to show that the newer model isn't always better.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOrks Great, February 2, 2013
Works Great
Not fancy or no web browsing but thats why I have a PC hooked up to the TV for
Wifi does not require WPS. I am running WPA2 and it connects.
Note for Allshare for new users.
Setup Allshare on your PC and it will detect the BD player on bootup.
Req is both devices (PC and BD has to be on the same wifi and/or lan)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, August 7, 2013
Bought this at the same time we purchased a Samsung TV six months ago. Since then we have contacted support multiple times, but it still isn't even close to being acceptable.

First the positives. It is sleek, shinny black, and physically small(this might be seen as bad as all the other A/V items I have are one width. This is approx 2/3 the width of standard A/V equipment) If you have it hooked up to a Samsung TV it will turn the TV on when you turn on the player(this feature can also be turned off).

Setup is simple, and hooking it up to our wireless connection took no time at all. It has multiple apps included(no Amazon), the screen layout has large icons and is easy to read.

Now the bad. Sometimes the player doesn't respond to the buttons on the top of the player. There are only four buttons. Power, eject, play/pause, and stop. There are times where you push one of the buttons and it will not respond for up to 45 seconds. Then all of the sudden it works again. When using the apps such as Youtube and Netflix sometimes the player is sluggish to respond. It will work first press sometimes, but then it will not respond for 30 seconds to an input at other times.

The remote control is okay, but it has to be pointed directly at the player. A few degrees off and it will not work. This wouldn't be bad if the player would respond all the time. Sometime when you press pause/rewind/FF/whatever while using an app it will not respond. Makes you want to press it again, but if you do it might pause then play, pause then play, pause then play... Also, the remote doesn't work from the recommended distance from the TV(10 feet as recommended by Samsung). This also happens with our Samsung TV, so there remotes can be frustrating(or useless depending where you sit).

The player also freezes when watching Netflix. Not slow data, or pauses. The player freezes. Nothing will happen if you press any buttons. We have tried to wait it out and it was still frozen for almost an hour. We waited that long to see if there was an error message. No dice. If you unplug it from the wall, it will work again(after you plug it back in of course). On average it will happen about once every four hours of using Netflix.

We have contacted chat support, but they just have use do a hard reset. If you press stop on the top of the player for eight second it will reset it to factory. Support has us do this and then tells us to contact chat again if it happens again. We have updated the firmware each time a new one comes out to see if it will fix the problem, but no. Still horrible.

Before we have always had great luck with Samsung(the TV we bought at the same time has bugs as well). This has changed our opinion of their quality. So much so we will be looking at other brands and avoiding Samsung.

Edited to show Samsung response: About the Netflix freezing they say if any app launches it can't be a problem with the player. This isn't true, but okay. Was told originally when we had a 3mb connection we needed 4mb. Now we have 6mb and they have changed it to say you need a 7 mb connection. Will continue to update as I try to get this resolved

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use and Works Fine, February 16, 2013
When you turn this on, you are prompted to connect to your wireless network. Once done, the box is pretty much easy to use. It prompts you if there is an update to the software that runs it which is good. The update process is usually quick and is always painless.

BluRay and DVD functions work well. BluRays load fairly quickly and the box itself boots in very little time.

You can put movies on a thumb drive and plug it into the USB port. I use a 16 GB Kingston Data Traveler putting xvid (divx) movies on there but a number of other formats are supported as well. I've seen no playback issues. If you have subtitles, put them in a folder below the movie and they should work well.

I've tried YouTube but not NetFlix, I understand Pandora has issues which are addressed in a firmware upgrade.

If you don't have a wireless network in your house, don't buy this model. Otherwise, it is a good value for the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, Affordable built-in WiFi blu-ray player, February 13, 2013
I am a fan of samsung products although lately their android phones really disappointed me. None the less I didn't want to spend more then 100.00 on a blu-ray player and I did not want a player that required those ANNOYING lil wifi adapters in order to get a wireless connection, I wanted it with wifi built-in. I found about 3 that met these 2 requirements- toshiba, sony and samsung. My first choice was the sony which they were out of. Like I said I do like samsung products overall so I went with this model blu-ray player. It has a sleek somewhat mini design so it fits just perfect on my medium size tv stand. When not using the remote the buttons on the player are simple and they are soft touch buttons and not buttons you actually have to push down. It comes with most of the popular apps installed- netflix, pandora, youtube, best buy's cinema now, and my personal fav... vudu! Most important the picture quality is superb! The only nagging issue that brings this player down is the slow responsiveness of the player's remote!! You will need some patience when using it and you must stand right in front of it for it to work properly. Overall though I think it is a wise buy if you want a decent but not perfect wifi blu ray player and your on a budget.

PROS:
Affordable Built-in wifi blu ray player
Mini design making it very portable
Excellent picture quality
Decent selection of popular streaming apps
Energy star rated appliance

CONS:
Not 3D ready (if that's important to you)
Menu navigation with the remote is SLOW
Uses HDMI cable hook up only