Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung BD-EM57C Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Dolby Truehd With Built-In WiFi BD-EM57C/ZA
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 16, 2013
I have owned this Blu-Ray player for three months and after putting up with its numerous quirks and inadequacies, it finally died on me. Besides the awkward remote control, ridiculous loading and lag times, the slow wireless connection, and the noisy operation, it barely functioned as a DVD/Blu-Ray player, let alone a streaming device. Even in the middle of the night with no other users on my network, Netflix was hit or miss and Pandora was stop and go. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT. Check the reviews on the COSTCO website for a multitude of dissatisfied buyers who agree with me.
on January 31, 2013
Purchased as a Christmas gift for the family 2012. One star because it had no problems connecting to our home wireless network and the picture was good... when it played. It locked up several times and nothing would correct the problem except starting over. Maybe the second or third time it would play all the way thru. Other times, the audio would continue as normal but the video would begin to pixelate at the top, eventually melting into a colorful but useless screen. Navigation around YouTube is a clunky procedure, requiring the user to index around a table where one button push = one letter at a time. Didn't like this unit at all.
on June 6, 2013
This unit is not compatible with the Amazon Instant Video app. Wish I had known that when I bought it last Fall! The Smart Hub is very slow and has relatively very few apps available. I would recommend buying a different model. Have used Sony players in the past and they are much easier to use and faster.
on June 2, 2013
This unit (BD-EM57C) was purchased about 4months ago, used on an average-grade 40" LCD HDTV. This unit was to serve as a replacement to a Sony BD/WiFi unit (sorry I forget which model, but purchased back in Dec. 2010 timeframe), and so this review is a comparison of experience between this Samsung model and the Sony I had before. The reason for replacing the Sony BD/Wifi player mainly revolved around Netflix connectivity issues where the Sony seemed to be exhibiting some serious buffer issues; I'm sure if you google "Sony BluRay Netflix buffer", you may find the same issues I was experiencing with the Sony Unit.

First off, this Samsung model does NOT support Amazon Instant Video; I'm not sure if the responsibility of providing the app/support is Amazon or Samsung - not a HUGE disappointment as I still have the use of my laptop with HDMI to the LCDTV

I will say the BIGGEST disappointments with this Samsung BD/Wifi player is that it is outrageously slow and often unresponsive to remote control input; the 2 issues will be discussed/described below:

1. Slow software response in regards to navigation
So I mainly use this player for either Standard DVD or Wifi/Netflix streaming. Again, this is compared to my experience with my previous Sony BD/Wifi unit. The response of the software has a slow and "clumsy" feeling. When I navigate from app to app, or selection to selection (ie. using remote's arrow buttons) it may take about 1/2sec to 1sec for the on-screen selection to move - this becomes annoying when I'm trying to navigate through the selections and wondering if the button-press is registering at the unit or not, only having me miss my desired selection and then having to slowly click back to the selection I want.
For clarification, let's say there is a grid of apps (ie. selecting new apps to download to the player). As I scroll through the available apps, I see the app I want. As I click the buttons on the remote to navigate to the app I want, sometimes I think the remote button didn't register and I end up pressing a few more times, only for the on-screen selector/highlight to jump over my desired app, requiring me click slowly back, waiting about 2-3seconds after each remote button click.
Another scenario where this "slow response" is encountered is with the Netflix app. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the app code quality or whatever, but as I'm watching Netflix and I want to pause... it takes about 3-5 seconds after pressing pause for the video to actually pause.
Again, not sure if this is specific Netflix app issue or the unit's issue, but even when selecting the movie I wish to stream, the navigation through the Netflix app is VERY cumbersome.

2. Unresponsive Remote
Perhaps this is in relation to the slow Samsung software on the unit, but there are times when the remote buttons don't provide any response to the unit - that is except for the power button.
Sometimes I'll be scrolling through apps under SmartHub (Samsung's Wifi streaming/app center) and as I navigate through the options, the unit seems compeltely unresponsive to any remote control input. This seems more likely to be a software issue as the remote power button works just fine; as soon as I experience unresponsive remote input, I tend to press power to reset the unit and the issue seems to resolve itself (sometimes!)

Standard DVD viewing is fine (for the most part) and I don't seem to encounter any remote-response issues - which makes sense, as I don't usually need to navigate through much of a DVD while watching or getting the DVD to start play.

1 other disappointment is the Pandora music streaming app.
Not sure if it is just me, but the music quality is very poor. It almost sounds as if the sound is muffed or if the app volume is cranked up and creates a sort of crackle in the speakers. I use an external speaker system, not the TV's speakers, and the Pandora app doesn't seem to have its own volume control, so using the Pandora app for music is pretty much another disappointment.

I rated 1/5 stars, as you may figure why. I am quite disappointed with this unit, considering Samsung's success with their other TV systems with Wifi, Smartphones and Android tablets; I would have figure Samsung products is guaranteed a good experience. This unit is very much the opposite of my expectations.
I will like to note, that this didn't create so much of a loss of confidence in Samsung products, only in their BD/Wifi units. I will consider buying another Samsung BD/Wifi unit, but not unless I get some hands-on experience before I purchase.
In regards to this particular unti (BD-EM57C) - I definitely would not recommend this to anyone, for any reason - unless you hate that person ;)
on February 15, 2013
We purchased this in October 2012 and it never really worked well so we should have returned it right away but we didn't because we are lazy. We had problems connecting to Netflix off and on and now it won't even play most blu-rays. Total hunk of junk and a waste of money.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 4, 2015
Because I tend to thoroughly research products and read reviews before buying things, I rarely need to rate anything I've purchased a ONE STAR. If I could give 0 stars, I would. I HATE THIS BLU-RAY PLAYER!!! It was a gift, so I tried to "get over" its issues, but the thing is just terrible. First, it cannot be used to watch Amazon instant videos. There is just no way to download the software, and I have not found a hack to get around it. For Pete's sake, our old Wii works with Amazon!!!!

But the biggest thing I hate about this blu-ray player is that it CONSTANTLY freezes up. Like, every.single.day. My children watch Netflix. When I launch the Netflix software, it gets stuck. I have to turn the player completely off and back on at least 6-7 times to get it to work. I've read every troubleshooting guide Samsung offers on this subject, and they always blame either our internet connection or the Netflix interface. My Wii is 3 times further from our router and NEVER has issues connecting to Netflix. Actually, it did once when our router had accidentally been unplugged, but even then it didn't freeze up!

Also, this player is PAINFULLY SLOW!!! Want to eject your disc? Be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait. If you want to eject a disc while watching Netflix, don't do it. The player will automatically switch to disc mode and disconnect you from Netflix. And, as I've mentioned above, getting re-connected will be a pain in the butt.

I just really can't say anything good about this product. Save your money.
on April 17, 2015
I hate this machine! I have held back from smashing it on multiple occasions. As soon as I have a replacement, I will be going “office space” on this thing.

This was my first blu-ray player, it was a gift, I said don’t spend more than $100. I should’ve been more specific. I don’t even really care about the blu ray quality of the visuals; I just wanted something to connect to my wifi (i.e. netflx) and play DVD’s & Blu Rays.

Let me start with the positive. My tv is also Samsung, so it was easy to set up, the remote works for both the TV and Blu Ray, there’s a nice big Netflix button right on the remote.

To say it has trouble connecting to Netflix is an understatement. Often it will not connect on the first try. I’ve learned not to tell it to try again, but give up and start over. If this fails more than once, unplug it. Sometimes it connects the 2nd or 3rd time, but the cursor on the remote won’t change anything on the screen. Sometimes I get to go through the whole username password fun. This happens frequently. It’s all so frustrating. I’ve used Netflix on a previous device connected to the tv with minimal problems and now often check Netflix on my other devices in the home without issue, so it is not a connection or app issue.

This blu ray player is so smart, it thinks it knows where you left off the last time you watched this movie. Sometimes it’s a new movie and just starts playing somewhere in the middle. Sometimes it’s a movie I love and have watched before (yes, I’m that person) and it starts at the credits. I just want to start at the beginning. If I turn it on with disk in it, the tray opens (those buttons are close together on the remote, but I’ve checked myself).

Sometimes for no apparent reason it’s working fine, then my tv says it can’t connect. The first few times I checked the cables, now I know I just need to unplug the Blu Ray player for it to work again.

One other minor thing, I wish there was a light in the remote so I could see the buttons in the dark.

Like I said I hate this machine and just want something that will play blu rays and connect to Netflix without all the “fancy” bells and whistles. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
on July 25, 2013
Pros:
1. Cheap
2. Works fine when it works

Cons:
1. Often it stops to respond to the remote. The only way is to restart the player.
2. Subtitles often messed up - it seems it does not clean the subtitle string sometime and new subtitles are added to one of the previous ones. To fix it turn off subtitles, then turn them on again.
3. Netflix login: sometimes it works for months without asking me to login, but then several days in a row, and sometimes several times a day, it asks me to enter my email and password. It is very annoying to enter the same long email and the same long password with those arrow keys.
4. Samsung support is awful. I called Samsung several times regarding the issues above: first, they say that it should work fine and ask me to do things that are not fixing the problem (reset/update/reboot/etc), then they usually say that the problem is known to them and it is going to be fixed very soon. I called several times in the last 7 months and the problems are still there.
on July 9, 2014
This product didn't even work. Put DVD in runs for 5 seconds then stops. I tried several blue rays and still didn't work. Don't order this product.
What really stinks is that I ordered a remote for this before got this player. SO know I have a remote and no dvd player. The seller says he tested it. whatever. The packaging that in came in was far from adequate. Avoid this one. You might end up with a paper weight
on October 15, 2013
Due to my overwhelming experiences with modern consumer media electronics, all my consumer media electronics purchases are now from Costco (sorry Amazon). Bought this player a year ago @ Costco, played DVDs and BDs OK. The screen navigation is a little clunky, but OK.

However, a month ago, when I decided to watch the America's Cup finals on YouTube, the unit would consistently hang up, either during startup, or partway through the video. Or, it would "stutter play" the video. YouTube viewing on the same LAN with either a regular computer or an Android tablet was problem and stutter-free.

Research on the web shows that YouTube viewing is a consistent problem with some Samsung products. So, today I returned the BD-EM57C and bought a different BD player.