Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on April 17, 2013
This review is for the Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-ray Disc Player. I am very impressed with this Blu-ray player, for the price it is a great option for anyone's home theater. I have been using the player for about a month now, and have yet to have any issues with it. It turns on to the main menu quickly and has an extremely simple user interface. It will boot even faster with a "standby" mode, in which case it boots in about 2 seconds. The controls are also simple, the touch pad controls on the player itself are simple and respond immediately when touched. The remote control is Samsung's standard Blu-ray remote- it's identical to most of Samsung's other Blu-ray player remotes. This player also offers an Ethernet connection for connecting to the Internet (no WiFi). The applications on this player (YouTube, Netflix) also work just fine.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for a Blu-ray player- their applications are not going to work perfectly, they are not designed as simply as an Android or iOS application. You have to expect there will be problems like freezing and rebooting, until Samsung and other companies start releasing more software patches for their devices. In the meantime, this player's applications work just fine.

Overall- I am very please with my purchase. This Blu-ray player works great and does not have any major flaws. I would recommend this player to anyone looking for a high-quality Blu-ray player.

*Update* One month after this review, this Blu-ray player is still working great, no problems at all. Samsung also released a software patch last week for this player, and it's still working great!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 20, 2013
I love that I can watch netflix or switch to a movie, stream Pandora, use Vudu, and look at pictures with this blu ray player, the biggest downside is that it freezes. A lot. We had to put this on its own power strip so that we could reset it without turning everything else off. It has network issues that cause the wifi to just suddenly stop working on a pretty regular basis. I've never had it freeze while watching a blu ray or dvd but when using Netflix (our primary use) it freezes constantly. The fact that it is awesome when it DOES work earns it 3 stars. If it weren't for the freezing and connectivity issues, it would be the perfect dvd player.

One perk that I love is that if you also have a Samsung tv the blu ray player remote will let you change the volume, switch source, and power on/off. That came in handy when we lost our tv remote.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)

Thanks for your review of the Samsung Blu-Ray player.

One of our recommendations if you are having trouble with the App freezing up is to make sure you have the latest firmware update installed. Information on installing it automatically (with Internet connection) or via USB (using a thumb-drive) can be found on Page 14 of the owner's manual.

Both the firmware and download manuals can be found here:

(Annette - Netflix, Pandora and YouTube are the only Apps at the time of this posting that are available on the BD-F5100).

Thanks for your support of Samsung product, and I hope that resolves your issue.

on March 14, 2013
I really like the smaller size. I have had Sony and Samsung as well as off-brand DVD players in the past that were slow to boot up and load CDs. This thing is really fast. Loads immediately.
on December 17, 2013
This player does some great things for the price, I was impressed with the Pandora, Netflix and the ability to play movies and music from USB thumb drives. I was initially having issues with freezing when playing HD Netflix and YouTube streams, noticed this was a problem for other users as well and I knew it was not my network. The issue was the time zone of the player was set to some Eastern country and was many hours off the real time. This causes problems with networking and the reason for the lag. Once I set it to my actual time zone the online functions have run perfectly.
on June 12, 2013
For the price, this is a good Blu-Ray player. My main complaint is that it takes too many non-intuitive button presses to get the movie to actually start playing. This is an unfortunate sacrifice to it being a "smart" player (Pandora, Netflix, etc). We have a Roku box for all of that, so none of those features will be used on our player. It isn't even connected to the internet. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the player can still be updated via a USB drive as updates are issued. This is a very nice touch for those of use who don't feel like using the un-needed features or feel like running a cat 5 cable to it just for software updates. When playing movies the video is clear and sound is good. Player operation is quick and quiet.

Overall a good player. The UI could use some work for those of us who just want to watch movies, but otherwise no complaints.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2013
We haven't even had this product for 3 weeks, and it stopped working completely. About 1 week into (proper) usage, it started freezing and had to be restarted. Super annoying. Now it doesn't work at all. Don't waste your money on this product. Buy something that actually works.
on May 7, 2013
I bought this product at BestBuy and I paid the extra $14 for GEEK Support. They'll replace the item for free or give me an upgrade if something goes down within 2 years.

So I bought this BluRay for one specific reason: to play 1080P. Nothing else.

I own a "smart tv" so Pandora, Netflix, Hulu or anything else that connects to the NET is not needed. The downside is that the streaming that I get from Amazon Prime is in 720P not 1080P. (GASP) I know folks, I know. So I was doing my movies a dis-service by watching them in 720P. I needed a player without the bells and whistles and at a basic cost. I got it in this player; so far so good.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2013
Works just as advertised.

It's small and compact (exactly what I needed). It's a simple Blu Ray/DVD Player without all the bells and whistles. Haven't had any problems with it so far.

Just to be clear, it is NOT Wi-Fi enabled. You'll need a cable for internet access.

It includes an app for Pandora, Netflix and YouTube...all good stuff. I would definitely recommend this product, especially at this price.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2013
Ordered june 13th and it stopped working a few days ago. The tray would not open after having a movie paused for a few minutes and some mysterious grey lines appeared in the picture. After several attempts, including leaving it unplugged overnight, the disc was retrieved but the poor picture quality remained. I cannot return the unit to amazon due to their return policy. I usually like samsung products, but I advise staying away from this model.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
Right now you might be thinking hey here we go this looks nice, and its a samsung, what and it plays blu ray, dvd, netflix, pandora and other crap too?! Wow and its very reasonably priced?! Sold right? Please do yourself a favor here spend a few extra bucks on something that actually works I personally have 2 of these in my home one of wich I'm looking at this very moment frozen solid because I have to go unplug it to get it to work again. This happens ALL the time on both not jut the one neither are over 2 months old total waste of money they are both crazy slow and never ever work like they should. Its pretty lame on samsungs part but whatever just some advice for the potential buyer "move along" if not I told ya so!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse