5.0 out of 5 stars Turns your regular TV into a smart TV!!!
Published 10 months ago by Rubab Khan

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Apps
Published 5 months ago by Doug Percival

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns your regular TV into a smart TV!!!, September 28, 2013
This review is from: Samsung BD-F5700 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray Player (Black) (Electronics)
I got this simply as a blu-ray player to use with my 1080p non-smart HDTV, and to my surprise, this unit has the entire Samsung Smart TV capability (aka. Smart Hub) built into it which instantly turned my old dumb TV into a very smart TV!!! Also, I have checked, it actually turns out to be cheaper to get a standard LED TV and add this than getting a full fledged Smart TV,

The playback and sound etc. basics work perfectly fine. Wi-Fi reception flawless. And Smart Hub is truly smart. Very highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely versatile!, October 28, 2013
I had some very specific requirements for what I wanted a Blu-ray player to do that, ironically, did not include the ability to play Blu-Rays. I just wanted it to play everything else! This thing pretty much does.

Streaming: When I first turned it on, it had Netflix preinstalled, but not Hulu or Amazon Video. It quickly updated, and there was Hulu, but still no Amazon. And I don't see any way to install it. Oh well, Amazon, it's time to start pushing your video service more!

Files: In addition to streaming services, I wanted the ability to play mp3s, jpgs, and mp4s, which this thing does, extremely well. Just put it on a thumb drive and pop it in the front USB port. Go to the home screen and choose "select device", and there is your USB drive. Then select music, movies, or pictures, and it will find them on the USB.

Discs: As for discs, it works equally well with commercially produced DVD discs as it does the ones you write on your home computer. As I mentioned, I don't have any Blu rays, so I can't speak to the picture quality of those.

Sound: I also wanted a Blu-ray player that I could use with my 8 year old Sony Surround system (Analog.) This was one of the few players that had a coaxial digital out port (Uses the orange tipped cable in the old color coded system). I hooked the HDMI up to the LCD TV and plugged in the orange cable to the receiver, and voila, I got sound and picture on the TV, and sound through the receiver. I tested it on DVDs, MP4s, and streaming, and it all worked. I don't know if it was doing surround sound or not, but it was coming through all 6 of the wired speakers, including the subwoofer.

Stylistically it's small and sleek.

The one thing I haven't tried yet is the DLNA function, but when I do, I will try to get back here to update this.

All in all, a great little machine for a great price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Apps, February 23, 2014
Doug Percival (Silver Spring, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I just got a Samsung BD-F5700, hooked it up and found that it does NOT have the NetFlix or YouTube apps that it is supposed to include. Also, Samsung's website says that an app for Hulu Plus has been added with a recent firmware upgrade, but the firmware updated that's available for download from Samsung's website (for USB installation) is an OLDER version (1010.0) than the version that came factory-installed (1012.2), and there is no Hulu Plus app either.

I've played a couple of Blu-ray disks on it, and they looked great. However, the ability to stream video from NetFlix, YouTube and Hulu Plus is absolutely essential for me, and one of the main reasons that I chose this particular player. I am attempting to resolve this issue with Samsung tech support online, and will update this review according to the results of that. If there is no way to get the apps installed and working on it, then I will have to return it and find something else.

UPDATE 02/25/2014: After two days Samsung responded to my email support request with a generic email that had no actual content relating to the problem. I just finished a "live chat" with a Samsung agent through their website. She said that they are "aware" of the "missing NetFlix app issue" and "hope to have an update ready some time next week". I don't think it is acceptable that Samsung is advertising and selling the BD-F5700 as including NetFlix and YouTube apps that they KNOW it does not include, and they don't even have a fix available. Also, I've been working with a variety of computer and network technologies for over 20 years, and I have never before encountered a situation where a vendor's website has software updates for download that are OLDER than the software that came with the device. This is very disappointing -- I have had good experiences with Samsung A/V equipment until now, which is one reason why I bought this unit. But at this point I'm going to return it and get something else.

UPDATE 05/18/2014: Apologies for the belated update, but I was eventually able to download and install a newer firmware update from Samsung's website, which added the Netflix and Hulu Plus apps. The Netflix app works fine, although it is a bit clunky -- basically you will want to do your Netflix browsing and selecting at the computer, and add things you want to watch to your list for easier access from the Samsung. The video streaming performance is fine and the video quality with a Samsung LED HD TV is excellent. So I wound up keeping it after all. I do advise prospective purchasers to be prepared for firmware issues, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slowly Samsung is getting the bugs out, October 1, 2013
First of all the unit pictured above is not the unit you will receive. The one that will be delivered is compact with no display on the front. The remote will not have a mute button or volume control. Now for the good news. I bought this unit to replace a one year old Samsung BD unit that always kind of just limped along. It was noisy and cranky with all kinds of disks. It was amazingly sensitive to finger prints. I produce my own Blu Ray disks and was going crazy thinking that the flaw was in my production until I tried out one of my problem disks on a friend's BD player. After much research I got this 5700 unit and it works great. This seems to be a new generation of players because it is very fast and very quiet. Do not buy this unit if you are stacking it with other components because the controls are only on the top and the unit is surprisingly small. The 5700 comes with some useless apps you have to pay for and a nutty system you can download only to a PC to play pictures and music that is on your PC. This function is called DLNA and does not work on a MAC. So typical of Samsung that they do not see the obvious flaw. They are in good company with MicroSoft. I was relieved that I could use the remote from the older Samsung player which has both a volume control and a mute button that work with my Samsung HDTV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great player for the money, January 18, 2014
Got this used for $64.54 and it looks and works perfectly. The original box was pretty trashed but other than that it looks and works great. I immediately watched part of a Blu-Ray, it loads disks really fast, faster than the Samsung Bu-Ray player I bought a couple of years ago for $160. Then I watched (streamed) a show on Netflix, no hiccups, no delays or buffering and I'm using Wi-Fi. It connected with no problems whatsoever. Then I watched some Youtube videos, again, no problems. I was a little bummed that it didn't include Hulu Plus so I did a software update over Wi-Fi, that went smoothly and after it was done VOILA, I now have Hulu Plus! My only complaint, and the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the lack of audio outputs on the back, there are none that I can use, just the sound that goes through the HDMI port to my TV. It has a coaxial digital out, no FDDI (Toslink) out, no RCA out so I can't plug it into my older Nakamichi receiver that requires RCA sound inputs. Oh well, no biggy. Oh, also, front panel controls are non-existent, there is just a wheel on top with 4 buttons (stop, play, pause, eject) everything else has to be done via the excellent remote control.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Blu-Ray and Netflix Player, November 8, 2013
The unit is very small and the interface to Netflix is much better than the previous Samsung model. I also like the new instant on feature; no wait to load the software.

3.0 out of 5 stars No bad but can't add apps., April 16, 2014
A little disappointed that I could not add new apps to it. Wanted to add my Amazon Prime but am stuck with only Netflix. Otherwise a value buy and perfect for a bedroom or secondary entertainment center.

1.0 out of 5 stars No netflix support, May 5, 2014
Bought as a gift for my moms birthday on April 4th. Blu ray player works great. However no netflix support since day 1. Updated completely, constant NW 4-8 error. Returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low cost but does the job, December 2, 2013
Definitely low cost minimal function player, but seems to do the job. Only wish it had a display & power indicator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Blu-Ray player with Wi-Fi, December 4, 2013
This is a Blu-Ray player that can play Blu-Ray movies and my older DVD movies. I bought this because I like to watch Netflicks on my HDTV. This Blu-Ray player replaced my computer because the Blu-Ray player can connect to my Wi-Fi and plug into my HDTV using a HDMI wire cable. I also noticed that the image on my HDTV using my old DVD movies is now sharper with this Samsung player over my old DVD player. You do need to have or purchase a HDMI cable to hook this player to your HDTV.

Rate and Discover Movies