5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Good BD player, crippled online content
Published 8 months ago by Sergio

2.0 out of 5 stars Good BD player, crippled online content, October 21, 2013
Sergio (Manassas, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung BD-F5900 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player (2013 Model) (Electronics)
I bought this from Best Buy, not from Amazon, but I felt compelled to write a mini-review of my experience with this device. As a standalone blu-ray player, its great. Not much to say about it. However half of this device is the Smart Hub. Samsung, in their infinite wisdom, decided to tie every app down to their unreliable servers. If the Samsung servers go down (and they do a LOT) you can't use any apps. The first day I bought it everything worked great and I was very happy with it, it even had a couple apps that I really wanted that non-Samsung smart TVs and BD players do not have (Verizon FiOS app and GLWiz app). Second day at around noon, no app seemed to work. I thought I had an internet problem, but no, Internet was fine and the BD player was connected. I kept trying throughout the day and still nothing. I thought it was a problem with the player so I took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it. Once I set it up, same problem, could not access any apps in the Smart Hub. So I did some searching and found out that this is a common issue with Samsung products, their servers go down regularly, sometimes for a day. Sure enough it was almost down a day as I couldn't access the apps until the next morning. Everything seemed to work fine for about three days until once again Samsung's servers went down. Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. I was done with this product and returned it.
No other company making smart products does this, Samsung seems to be the only one that decided to use their own servers. Instead of each app being independent of each other, they are all tied to Samsung's unreliable servers. If you do some research you will find that Samsung servers have a reliability of about 97%, which may seem like a high number but generally companies strive for 99.99% or higher server uptime. 97% is absolutely horrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D Player, March 23, 2013
I purchased this unit even though there were no product reviews at the time of my purchase. It is apparently a new model. I wanted a Samsung player because I have a Samsung TV and I wanted the ease of a single remote out of the box. Even though some of the other Samsung players had less than 5 star reviews, I wanted to take the chance, and Im glad I did. This player immediately recognized my home wi-fi network and completed the firmware update very quickly. When I told it to check for an update again, it did find a second update which ran just as quickly. A little odd it didn't go to the latest update automatically, but no big deal. The Smart Hub works fine including Netflix, although I still think the picture quality of Netflix is better through my AppleTV. The blue ray discs load very quickly and both the 3D and 2D picture quality is amazing. I highly recommend this very reasonably priced player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice player with a few annoyances., April 11, 2013
This player does a fine job of playing DVDs or Blurays. The discs load very quickly. The timer that is on the front of the player is very bright. I have not found a way to dim it yet. It is so bright and distracting during a movie that I may have to block it until the movie is finished. The App section of the player can be compared to a Roku which I have. The Apps load very slowly compared to the Roku. Once loaded they are all almost identical. I browsed around a few that are not on the Roku - Bravo and Discovery Channel - and was unable to find any full episodes to watch. Either it said no episodes available or just clips were available.

The web browser with the remote reminded me of my old Web TV from years ago. You really have to use a wireless keyboard and mouse to use the browser. Even then you will be limited as the browser has no java, active x or any online purchasing/shopping. I may order the keyboard and mouse combo but not sure if the expense is worth it for such a limited browser.

Overall it is a big improvement from my other bluray players. I will provide updates as I use it over the next few weeks.

UPDATE - I have tried to watch videos from CBS, ABC, NBC and Hulu. Only CBS videos would play and with problems. I watched a full episode of "Criminal Minds" but during the show the screen saver kept popping up. Apparently the web browser will activate the screen saver if the remote is not used for about 10 minutes. The next day I tried to watch a full episode of "CSI" and the player turned off twice during the show so I gave up. The videos did look very good when they played. The web browser is not a good substitute for any other device but if you are bored I guess you can spend some time using it.

UPDATE: The remote has glow in the dark buttons! And the blurays that I have watched so far look much better then my other bluray players.

4.0 out of 5 stars I replaced my Roku and WD TV Live with the BD-F5900, and I was mostly happy., July 14, 2013
I'm a cord-cutter. I don't subscribe to cable, and I barely ever watch over-the-air broadcasts. For years now, I've been looking for something that could offer a set-top box experience that was close to a good HTPC without actually being an HTPC. My concern is that most HTPC setups with XBMC are a bit clunky when it comes to non-techie people using them. Sure, XBMC is handy and slick, but support for online services like Netflix, Crackle, and others of that sort is a bit of a mess, requiring you to essentially exit XBMC and load them in a web browser. They aren't dedicated apps, and it shows. The web browser experience for Netflix is pretty poor compared to some of their dedicated apps, as is the web browser interface for Crackle. XBMC also requires a great deal of setup and teaching for non-techie users, and can be screwed up pretty easily with the wrong button presses. In short, between video problems, needing to launch external applications to use streaming services, and the technical nature of XBMC, it's just not ideal for a household where you have kids or non-techie family members who just want to watch some TV or movies.

I have had the following set-top boxes and media devices over the years:
Roku
Roku 2 XS
Roku 3
WD TV
WD TV Live Plus (several generations)
Boxee Box
Sony SMP-N200 Media Player
Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray Disc Player
Sony PS3 (fat and slim, both)
Microsoft Xbox 360 (launch beast, and slim models)
Micca Slim HD
iMito MX2 Android Stick
Ouya console

...And a few others. I've returned or sold ALL of them over the years because they all fell short in one way or another. The Sony and Microsoft game consoles wouldn't play MKV files or access NTFS hard drives (meaning I was stuck with the 4GB file limit of FAT32 drives, which is not ideal for 1080p videos). In addition, the Xbox 360 wouldn't let me watch on my Netflix subscription without paying another $50 per year for Xbox Live Gold (a ridiculous requirement, considering all the other devices on the market allow it for free), and even the Slim model is a bit noisy while running. The WDTV was always slow and clunky, didn't have Crackle, and had very inaccurate scrapers that reported wrong information for properly-titled videos. The Sony SMP-N200 and BDP-S185 played all the formats the PS3 didn't, and accessed NTFS drives, but had what I considered a very awkward, sparse-looking GUI filled with a lot of Sony garbage my family didn't need and limited thumbnail support. The Micca Slim had no streaming services and no thumbnails whatsoever for media files. The iMito was poor at handling 1080p video in XBMC and crashed constantly due to Android's laundry list of instabilities. The Ouya was just more of that Android XBMC mess, and fought me the whole time with reboots, crashes, and poor connectivity.

The earlier Roku models didn't support local content via USB. The newer ones have a USB channel (and some 3rd party USB channels, as well) but are EXTREMELY fussy about the video encoding technique. While I loved my Roku 3, I did not relish the idea of having to re-encode over 100 movies that would not play nice with the Roku. I passed on Raspberry Pi, because it seems decidedly non-friendly to kids and family members, as well as being under-powered.

And before you mention it, YES, I know I could use Plex on Roku (and I did!) but sometimes I want there to be the ability to access the video library without it tapping my main PC's CPU or hard drive. If my PC is set to a task (encoding video, for example) I don't want it to be doing double-duty as a Plex server. I also don't always want my PC to be awake or turned on. Plex is awesome, but it is wholly reliant on the main PC for transcoding, and I want to avoid that sometimes.

Now, a disclaimer: I do not have a 3D HDTV. What's more, I hate 3D movies with a passion. I think they're a stupid gimmick. I wear prescription glasses already, and I do not enjoy wearing two pairs of glasses to relax and watch a movie at home. I don't even enjoy it in a theater. Most of the time, I end up with a raging headache from 3D movies, so in this review I will NOT be touching on the BD-F5900's ability to play 3D movies. In fact, I would have aimed for the BD-E5700 which is basically the same unit without the 3D support, but I needed to buy at a local store (for a change) and they did not carry that unit. The BD-F5900 was the next best choice for my needs, seeing as the BD-F7500 is overkill at this point (I don't have a 4k HDTV and won't be affording one any time soon).

So here's the point of my review: The Samsung BD-F5900 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player handles almost all of my set-top box needs. It's the first device that has gotten this close. Here's the quick rundown:

* Handles all video codecs and containers I throw at it. Note that I do not use VOBs*, but I do use MP4, AVI, and 5.1 DTS MKVs.
* Passes AC3 through to my receiver without a fuss. No audio problems yet!
* Has absolutely no problem with an NTFS-formatted, USB-powered hard drive.
* Makes animated thumbnails from videos for local content. Not as nice as cover art, but better than just a file name.
* Has all the streaming services I want: Netflix, Crackle, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Blockbuster, YouTube.
* Has all the social networking junk a lot of you folks out there might like: Twitter, Facebook, Picasa, etc.
* Plays a few simple games (Solitaire, Columns clones, trivia games, etc.)
* Plays nice with Harmony remote control devices.
* Handles Blu-ray Discs better than the PS3 ever did.
* Downloads apps to local memory. Constantly adding new apps (allegedly).
* Fast loading, power-on, power-off (standby), chapter-skipping, etc.
* Grants frame-stepping and video scanning functions in local video files as well as discs.
* Easy to set up. Fairly easy learning curve.
* No way to screw things up majorly, as far as I can see.
* Works okay with built-in WiFi, and fantastic with wired Ethernet connection.
* Included remote, while a bit crowded, has nice buttons and cool features like the Netflix button.
* Has Plex Media Server app which works well. Seems to handle Plex channel content (like Navi Extreme) better than Roku does.
* Excellent Netflix GUI; Similar to PS3's version. Better than Roku's version.

I'm very satisfied. I sold my Roku 3, and the Samsung BD-F5900 has taken its place as my set-top box of choice. No, it doesn't have as many video channels/apps as the Roku, but when I really looked at how many of those extra Roku channels I was watching on a regular basis, I realized that I didn't really need them. Most of the extra content I cared about on Roku is duplicated on Plex, and the mainstream services are all native to the Samsung.

While it's not a full-featured HTPC by any means, it does what I need it to do: It makes accessing local content and streaming services easy for the members of my family who don't want to fuss with technical settings, or jump through hoops to get what they want. And as a bonus it plays Blu-ray Discs. If I ever suddenly decide I like 3D, I have that capability, too.

As set-top boxes go, this is a great choice for the cord-cutter! I highly recommend the Samsung BD-F5900 for anyone who wants the streaming functions of a Roku, the USB-friendly functions of a WD TV, and the Blu-ray Disc functions of a really good Samsung BD player.

!!! Update: I checked into it, and the BD-F5900 does support VOB files. In fact, here's a list of all the video file extensions/containers it handles:
*.avi
*.svi
*.m2ts
*.mts
*.webm

So far, the only thing it wouldn't play is the weird WMV3 codec that Apple Quicktime was fond of cranking out about 10 years ago, but I haven't found anything that plays those; Not even current Quickime for Windows or Mac, or Media Center Classic will handle those. And if you were wondering, the BD-F5900 handles DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, LPCM, ADPCM, AAC, HE-AAC, WMA, MP3/MPEG, and vorbis audio tracks on videos.

So really, it just kicks all kinds of butt.

**** UPDATE:

So, here we are a couple weeks after purchase, and I ended up taking the BD-F5900 back to the store. Why? Because it supports Cinavia, and that's not really something I want in my media player.

It's still an amazingly great BD player, and for 98% of the users out there, it is still probably the best bang for the buck in terms of combining streaming services, BD playback, and local media via USB or network/PLEX... But that Cinavia support is a deal-breaker for serious cord-cutters who back up their disc-based media to hard drives or servers. It essentially causes the BD player to kick you out of the video, and then pops up a rude message saying the playback was stopped because of Cinavia detection blah blah blah. The end result for the archival user is that some local files just won't work if they're protected by Cinavia.

Understand that this is not Samsung's fault. They didn't "decide" to include Cinavia, and I was a bit naive in believing this item slipped by without it. The fact is that Cinavia is a standard for BD players now. That's all there is to it. Any North-American BD players from major manufacturers (and most minors) is going to have this "feature" included, whether the manufacturer wanted to include it or not.

So all I can do is exercise my right to say "no" and not own a device that includes Cinavia.

So should you buy the BD-F5900? If you don't do a lot of archiving to hard drive, then yes. Absolutely. It's a great player that does everything you'd need, and it has more apps on the way. It's a must-buy for the average user.

However, if you're an archivist cord-cutter, videophile, or anyone who likes to have a bit more control over the media you purchase, then you'll probably want to either avoid the BD-F5900, or get it and love it for its streaming services and excellent BD player, but basically ignore its local media playback features and get yourself something else that doesn't have Cinavia on it to handle that task.

For average users, the only time Cinavia should affect you is if you record a home video (say, of your kids playing in the living room) and a Cinavia-infected movie is playing in your home somewhere, and the audio from that movie is captured on your home video. Since Cinavia is based on an audio watermark, it will cause your home video to stop playing and warn you that it's copyrighted content. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, this can happen. Will it happen? Probably not all that much... But it can. Cinavia CAN actually render your own, personal home videos unplayable on a number of BD players and media players if a Cinavia soundtrack happens to end up on the video somewhere. It's very sensitive, and it WILL cease playback.

Sigh... Hyperbole, maybe, but it's just one example of how rabid DRM can inconvenience consumers.

Anyway, my original review still stands, and I'm only knocking off one star for the BD-F5900 because, frankly, the Cinavia problem won't affect most average users most of the time. Videophiles, archivists, and hardcore cord-cutters (and pirates, of course) will run into the Cinavia complication. Everyone else will have a fantastic BD player that does everything they need, most of the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it. You might. It depends what you're looking for., March 23, 2013
L. Phillips (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this blu ray player after seeing it and all the updates made to their SmartHub menu system at the CES 2013 in Vegas. First off, the older version of SmartHub was installed. I searched for, found, and downloaded the latest version of the software available for the player. It was still the old "clunky" version. It took forever to accomplish this and the rest of the setup because entering anything like passwords, etc.. is done with a keypad on the remote. It's an incredibly slow and painful process. The buttons on the remote are cramped and configured oddly. If you make a mistake, you start over. I called Samsung to ask about the software that was the big selling point at the CES, and which wireless keyboards would be compatable.
The Samsung rep was very tight-lipped about the new and improved SmartHub that was supposed to come with this player. She basically refused to say anything at all about it even though Samsung's presentation of it at the CES can be viewed on YouTube. She would only say (after every one of my questions), that the update that I had already made was the latest version. She even repeated this when I asked if it would be an update I could expect in the future.
When asked about wireless keyboards, the rep said that "no wireless keyboards would work with this blu ray player" period. I mentioned that considering that the previously mentioned SmartHub had a whole page dedicated to social networking, it would be impossible to use with the remote keypad that took me 5mins. to put my password in with. She repeated "no wireless keyboard will work with this blu ray player".
You should know that I did test this keyboard issue and found that wireless usb keyboards do work. I tried ones from 2 companies (Unisen and Logitech) and they both worked as soon as I plugged their dongle into the usb port on the front of the player. So, don't put much trust in what the rep tells you. If you're able to get them to tell you anything at all that is.
I used the player for a few days still hoping that everything else would make up for the SmartHub issue. It didn't. I discovered that Amazon Prime Instant Streaming is not a service that Samsung supports on it's devices. I also lost the streaming connection a few times and when I'd pause a streaming movie, after unpausing it, the audio would be delayed a few seconds after the stream continued. This happened on both Netflix and Hulu+. The remote was awkward and slow to respond. Maybe it was a faulty remote that I had, I don't know.
On the good side, the picture was beautiful and discs loaded fast. I didn't try the 3-D. I don'thave a 3-D TV to try it on.
Anyway, I returned it and purchased a Sony BDP-S3100. I've had Sony's players in the past and was happy with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good BluRay, okay streaming hub, November 22, 2013
When you're buying a multifunction device like this, it's important to have reasonable expectations. Electronics suffer from the same adage of "Jack of All Trades, Master of None," and the BD-F5900 is no different.

As a BluRay player, this is a great device. It has a nice, slim form factor in piano black. It is unobtrusive, but has a stylish curve to the body to give it a little stand out from every other "black box" sitting in an entertainment console. It setups up quickly (although expect an early firmware update out of the box). Unlike some players, it processes BluRay data snappily, and you don't spend minutes waiting for your disk to load extra content. In my situations, I went from pressing the tray close button to a menu in a matter of seconds. My HDMI passes through my receiver, and both audio and video quality were excellent. As just a BluRay player, I'd give this five stars.

As a streaming hub, this device has it's hangups. If you believe the hype that this will replace a dedicated device like a Roku or an Apple TV, you will be sorely disappointed. In my experience, the internet connection is a bit wonkier, the processor is slower, and the interface is much more cumbersome.

In a direct comparison, I connected my Roku 3 and my 5900 to my router with cables. After the initial set up on both, the Roku immediately loaded up my channel list from my profile. The 5900 had to download a bunch of random baked in channels, which took about 15 minutes. The process of changing your channel lineup isn't even comparable: on the Roku it's a simple, quick process. The 5900 is a laborious process, and it gives you little flexibility in how you interface with those channels. Additionally, I found the 5900 had trouble maintaining a connected state, and I frequently had "No network connection" errors that required me to tell the 5900 to reconnect. Load times/buffer times are shorter on the Roku, and the image quality seems consistently sharper, so I assume they are rendering at slightly different qualities.

If you're like me, and you consume a lot of streaming content (I watch about 90% of my television consumption through streaming services like Amazon Instant, Netflix, Plex, and a few other services), you will probably get frustrated with the 5900's clunky interface and sporadic network disconnects. That's not really a knock on the 5900: the Roku 3 costs almost as much as the 5900, and, of course, it doesn't play BluRays at all.

On the other hand, if you mostly watch BluRays and your streaming is primarily Netflix, this is a great device. I don't know why, but the Netflix channel on the device is definitely the most stable and has the best implementation (also, there is a big "Netflix" button the remote, which lets you jump straight to the app from anywhere).

The primary thing to consider before you make this purchase is what your focus is. If you are really into streaming content, then you may want to consider a cheaper BluRay player and a dedicated device for streaming. If that's out of your price range, the 5900 is a great BluRay player with a serviceable streaming hub (as long as you don't mind the aggravation of a few disconnects and an archaic looking interface). And, it's always possible that Samsung will patch some of the 5900's wonkier problems in a future update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pay more to get a better Netflix experience plus extras, August 4, 2013
Brent Thompson (New London, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I first tried a BD-E5400 because I didn't see a reason to pay extra for 3D capability. My advice is to pay the extra $30 or so and get this F5900. The cheaper model has only 4 streaming apps and they cannot be modified or even updated in any way. The F5900 has the ability to add and delete apps (some of the built-in apps cannot be deleted). Netflix was unusable on the E5400 stopping every 10 minutes and the controls would respond after a 20 to 30 second delay. This model handles Netflix fine and even uses the new individual profiles of Netflix (the 5400 would crash when a profile was entered other than the original profile). This model also permits 5gHz WiFi which provides a better streaming environment with less competition from surrounding WiFi. Blu-ray discs load fast and look great. DVDs only looked OK if I turned off the BD-Wise feature and just set it to 1080p, this lets the upscaling work properly, otherwise you get a soft image.

The only negative thing to report is a problem with the Amazon Prime Video app. It must be downloaded manually and can be found in the Samsung Apps app. I have a problem with the Amazon Prime app stopping the movie anywhere from every 10 to 30 minutes. The app must be quit, restarted, and then resume were it crashed. I hope this can be fixed with a software update. I have no problem with this Amazon Prime on my Roku2.

Overall, this player seems like a good value. Good speed in loading, lots of control over video and audio, ability to add and subtract apps, good video quality, small footprint, a front display, and runs pretty quietly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational Device!, May 23, 2013
1) Blu-Ray and DVD load time is super fast and it really performs the DVD 'upscaling' as it promises. Pleased with the quality of the picture and the sound.

2) USB read time is quick too. It works with my 1 TB External Hard Drive flawlessly - reads the videos of almost all formats - the only exception is maybe divx/xvid? Some AVIs work.
UPDATE: xvid codec works. DivX is the problem, I had to convert those videos to MP4 to play them on F5900.

3) Love the WIFI and the Apps sections - Samsung Smart Hub is really smart! There is a world of Apps and games - including Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Redbox Instant, CinemaNow, etc - though I only use YouTube, NetFlix, DailyMotion and the Web Browser frequently.

4) Web Browser - this is the biggest surprise of all. A full web-browser with Adobe Flash player built-in (for detail-oriented minds - espn3.com, cbs.com, etc work!). Dual Core processor speeds up and smoothens the web browsing, video_watching experience compared to the previous Samsung Smart TVs/Blu-ray players - it still isn't the same as browsing on a laptop - but you can only expect so much from an all-in-one device like this! Before playing HD videos for hours on your web-browser though - watch out the memory usage on your F5900 - I think there might be a bug with the cache/temp space not clearing up.

5) Sound - I am not a specialist on sounds/decoding, etc. But I do notice a difference between playing the same Youtube, NetFlix videos, Music on my F900 vs playing on my Logitech Revue. F5900 sounds superior! Maybe there is some decoding/oomph-ing that F5900 does, or a difference in the quality of one HDMI cable vs other - or maybe it's just my illusion.

6) Remote - Sleek. I like it. Doesn't have a touchpad or a full keyboard built on the back as some of the other smart devices do. But the absence of a keyboard/touchpad is a small hassle only during the web browsing. Personally it wasn't a biggie for me anyway.

7) 3D features - I haven't tested it out. I don't have a 3D TV.

8) AllShare - Works as advertised. F5900 plays the videos/music from my laptop wirelessly.

I have tried Blu-Ray WIFI players of other brands too. They are in the same price range but none of them come close to the versatility and the quality of this one. Overall, this device is a beast! And at this price? Go get one for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns your regular TV into a smart TV!!!, September 28, 2013
I got this simply as a blu-ray player to use with my 1080p non-smart HDTV, and to my surprise, this unit has the entire Samsung Smart TV capability (aka. Smart Hub) built into it which instantly turned my old dumb TV into a very smart TV!!! Also, I have checked, it actually turns out to be cheaper to get a standard LED TV and add this than getting a full fledged Smart TV,

The playback and sound etc. basics work perfectly fine. Wi-Fi reception flawless. And Smart Hub is truly smart. Very highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Player!, November 10, 2013
This player is great. The wifi with Netflix works great. The player boots up very fast. DVDs, BluRays and 3d BluRays all look awesome. The 3d in particular.

Rate and Discover Movies