5.0 out of 5 stars Little Monitor, Big Quality
Pros:

Bright, good color quality. Fine, sharp image. Decent blacks. A lot of menu options. Three video inputs. No dead pixels. Bottom mounted touch controls are easier (for me) than front mounted. Thin, cool running, and lightweight. No ghosting. Decent viewing angles for a non PVA panel.

Cons:

Some light bleed at the edges. Looked lousy...
Published on December 2, 2010 by The Barbarian Horde

2.0 out of 5 stars Can Not Change H-Position/V-Postion :ATI Graphics Card Users READ MY REVIEW
This is a great looking monitor. It came well protected in the box, it comes with DVI - hmdi , a VGA cable, external power supply, and a cloth to wipe down the monitor. I ordered it standard shipping on Tuesday, and received the product yesterday (Thursday), so I was really happy with the shipping speed. I received it 4 days prior first date listed in the estimated...
Published on July 8, 2011 by Ryan K. Mckinney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Monitor, Big Quality, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung BX2231 21.5-Inch Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Monitor (Black) (Electronics)
Pros:

Cons:

Some light bleed at the edges. Looked lousy (for me) until I adjusted some settings in the menu. Smaller than you might think, if you are used to larger 4:3 monitors. Having a power adapter instead of a straight in plug is kind of a hassle. Only 1920:1080, not 1920:1200.

Other:

I got this monitor specifically because it was the smallest size I saw from Samsung that had the full 1920:1080 resolution (I wanted a 1920 by 1200, but apparently Samsung doesn't make any anymore). I wanted a fine dot pitch, and I got it. The text and graphics are sharp and clear. The size is smaller than what I was expecting, but I got used to it. Text is so much clearer than larger monitors, I consider it a good trade.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the color compared to my old monitors. I don't know if it is the LED back light or not, but it looks great. Black levels are pretty good too. I did have to change the "HDMI black level" setting setting from "normal" to "low" to get a decent picture, however. No ghosting in my games, either.

Finally, the real viewing angles are approaching the specs, still not as good as my Samsung PVA but still a lot better than my used-to-be-top-of-the-line non PVA Samsung. The "MagicAngle", however, is apparently just a software setting and not a hardware technology. But the viewing angles are still good.

All in all, this is a quality monitor for a great price. I was especially impressed with the menu options. If you can live with a smaller sized monitor, this should please you. Although supposedly an entry-level monitor, it is easily the better looking than all my older semi-high end ones, and it was a lot cheaper, too. I highly recommend this, considering the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a mistake!, March 17, 2011
Well the to start off, I opened the box, tons of cardboard like paper to fill the box for protection. The boxing was great. Second on to the supplies for the monitor, was a little surprising i did not know it came with cables to suit the monitors need 2x hdmi, 1 vga. It came with one dvi to hdmi that is perfect for most of us.Ok the monitor stand could use some fixing but for me its great because the viewing angle is outstanding! Its not perfect but beats most of the competition such as my old lcd hp monitor. The power consumption is amazing! I calculated it'll only cost about 7$ a year to run year round. Ok now the images quality... something that all monitors have to face when being reviewing about and i am here to tell you this monitor just rocks it out. i Would recommend this to a friend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., February 8, 2011
Picture quality is excellent, nice and crisp and highly adjustable.

I'm not a huge fan of the high-gloss black finish on the base and bezel, but that's mostly because I don't dust and clean a lot. It shows dust and fingerprints like crazy, and tends to pick up bright reflections from surrounding windows, which is kinda distracting, but not a huge deal.

One note to those who might buy it: The viewing angle (tilting back and forward) IS adjustable, but it's not obvious and it's not covered in the provided documentation. Turn the monitor around so that the back is facing you. Look where the vertical "stalk" connects to the monitor itself, and you'll see that there are some detente ridges. You just need to pull outward a little while rotating the monitor. I almost sent mine back before I discovered this, because out of the box, I would have needed to be a dwarf to view it comfortably. Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tilt does work, May 5, 2011
Tilt does work. Couldn't get monitor to tilt then contacted Samsung via Twitter (@Samsungservice) they gave me solution. Put one hand on base and palm of other hand against top of monitor and push and it changed tilt effortlessly!!! Wish Samsung put this in their instructions or on the BX2231 webpage.

Using monitor as a desk top TV connected to cable box. So far the picture is perfect, and because it is 1080P very clear picture. Highly recommend this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung BX2231 LED Monitor, April 10, 2011
I was looking for a monitor to pair with my 21.5" iMac. Wow, Did this ever fit the bill! I could not have been happier in any way shape or form. I had read some reviews about the difficulty with the buttons on the lower right corner of the monitor to control the settings. Boy was this an exaggeration from some Type A people. And I am DEFINITELY a Type A person myself. To match it up completely, I had to raise the base of the unit up 2 inches, but when I did this it looks like I have two exact matches of the screen itself. Once I took about 5 minutes and adjusted the brightness, contrast and other settings to where "I" like them, it was like I had a 2nd Apple Cinema Display, for about 1/3 the price. I couldn't believe it! If this is what you are doing to have a twin monitor display with a 21.5 iMac, You're a fool if you don't do this! I hope this helps others make an informed decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality Amazing price, April 26, 2011
This monitor is gorgeous! Quite the deal noticing how I searched for quite a long time at every Tech store and website I could think of. none of them beat this price.
I know, I know, it's a referb. Well I haven't had a single issue with it; no ghosting, no dead/stuck pixels...

2 HDMI 1 VGA 0 DVI I have DVI and VGA. But it came with a VGA to HDMI cable, so no big deal.

5,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio is beautiful. Hi-res images and HD video have never looked this good.

2ms Response Time is wonderful for the gamer.

STAND DOES TILT not much, and it's awkward to do, but it does.

Minor light bleed along the bottom, haven't really noticed it during videos, but it's there before it starts.

MASSIVELY LOW POWER CONSUMPTION awesome. Less on my elec bill.

Magic Angle is great! Can see at almost any angle! However, I have noticed it dulls the colors a tiny bit. Not sure if it's just something I have to adjust in the settings or not though.

REDICULOUSLY Thin. Which is cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, great price., March 16, 2011
Evan Kraus (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
Whenever I have shopped for monitors or TVs, Samsung has always impressed me with it's quality and durability. You could get an HP or an Acer monitor for cheaper, but if you plan on using it a lot, spring the extra money for the Samsung. The sleek design and picture quality is worth it.

Pros:
Great picture quality.
Very thin- doesn't take up a ton of desk space.
2 hdmi ports- I can set up my computer (using a dvi to hdmi cable) and xbox easily.

Cons:
Stand isn't the best, though it does adjust a bit up and down.
Like many LED's, it doesn't have the deepest black levels, but if you calibrate it properly, it is beautiful. I have my contrast turned up all the way and the brightness turned down to about 40%.

All in all you won't be disappointed with this monitor if you choose it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, February 4, 2011
At this price point this monitor is a fantastic buy. I use it primarily for console gaming (mostly FPS and sports) and the responsiveness is a big plus. The screen has also been great for doing school work, and general Internet usage. You can really customize and fine tune the picture, as there are a variety of different settings. The only qualm I have - minor one at that - is the touch-sensitive buttons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, July 15, 2011
I purchased this monitor so that I can connect it and a wireless keyboard/mouse to my laptop. I am quite sensitive to the amount of radiation from my laptop and wanted to put the laptop away in a corner with a wireless keyboard in front of me.

I wanted a monitor that was big enough to comfortable read text, but not too big to consume more power than I needed. This 21.5" size turned out to be just fine. I've had it for about a week now. I found that I could put it 3 feet away from me and at a resolution of 1920x1080 and still use it comfortably (after adjusting font size). This probably varies considerably from person to person, but I found that if it were just 2 feet in front of me, I would have vision fatigue after a day's use.

Pros:
+ excellent image quality
+ dual HDMI inputs
+ comes with a DVI to HDMI cable
+ lower power consumption that all other monitors I've researched for this size.
+ good price!
+ comes with "MagicTune" software that allows the picture settings (brightness/contrast, etc) to be adjusted from your computer.

Cons:
+ the touch controls (brightness, auto-tune) on the monitor itself are a bit hard to see. I mean these controls are there on the monitor on the lower right side, but there's a just a faint label to identify them. I found these to be hard to locate unless if you're in a brightly lit room. I found it much easier to use the "MagicTune" software instead of even just reaching out and trying to find these controls.

+ manual could've had a diagram on how to tilt. It definitely does tilt: with the monitor facing you, put one hand on the top front center and another hand on the bottom center of the screen and tilt it upwards or downwards. Duh! Obvious and simple once you've done it once. It wasn't so obvious at the beginning (from other reviews, I'm not the only one). Some of the other reviews mention adjusting it with the back facing you and pushing on the lower center in a rotating motion. I found this only tilted it slightly and did not really work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 28, 2011
Replaced my old Samsung 932BW with this monitor because my 932BW started flickering. Supposedly it's a $.50-$15 fix that involves replacing the leaky capacitors in the monitor. Since I don't know anything about soldering or opening up electronics, my lack of knowledge stopped me from saving money. Do I miss the $150 I spent on this monitor? Absolutely. But was I going to deal with a flickering monitor? Nope, I sure wasn't. All in all, this monitor is fantastic, I love the wide screen aspect ratio (i believe its 1080x1920, which is better than my last one that was 1440x900). Also the colors are rich and vivid, although I did have to search the internet a little to find the right settings for the best display. Also had to read on the internet to figure out how to tilt it, which was easy as heck after reading (hold base firmly while pressing top of monitor). When all is said and done, if you're in dire need of a replacement monitor and you're looking to spend about $150, get this one, you won't be sorry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›