4.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class
The Samsung Brightside is no smart phone. But for a basic phone with no required data plan, I believe it deserves "Best in Class."

The call quality is good, and Verizon offers the best coast-to-coast coverage in the cellular industry. The touch screen feels accurate and responsive. As with their Galaxy Tab, Samsung has proven they can build a good touch...
Published on March 7, 2012 by Stephen Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable. Sadly that's probably the best one can hope for
I must begin by saying I feel Verizon feature phones are rather terrible. Their cameras are bad even by 2008 standards. They have little customizability, and they often feel very very cheap.

I used an enV3 for three years, and despite random shut-down problems and freak-outs when exposed to japanese characters, it was a decent phone. The env3 took acceptable...
Published on March 5, 2012 by Michael Morrill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 416 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I admit, I like it, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I am still not ready to pay 50 bucks or more a month for an iPhone and this was the next best thing.

PROS
In a case, it is pretty indestructible. I have dropped mine and had the back pop off and it come apart and yet, I snap it back together and it works like a charm.

You can personalize it much better than the older phones

I love the blue icon grid (used to just have green and orange and now has green and blue and the blue is AWESOME)

Holds quite a few pictures, videos and songs

You can customize the front grid so whatever you want is on there

I actually like the Qwerty keyboard. I am a big fan of those and they work very well for me. I know some people hate them but I am not one of them

Holds a charge for quite a long time

Sets multiple alarms (my last phone didn't do that but it was pretty old)

Great music sound

The loud ring is really loud and the vibrate is pretty strong so you do feel it

The notepad feature is pretty good. I use it a lot for my grocery list

I love the fact that you can set world times so that all you have to do is click the icon and it will take you to the time of the city you are looking for. I have friends or relatives in several cities around the world and I find myself using this more than I thought I would.

CONS
It is not as "cool" as the iPhone

It is easy to punch a button by accident (like your voicemail)and that is super annoying

The videos have to be put into another format to play on the Brightside and its a little annoying to put them on

The bluetooth settings are not very good and its very hard to get it to be compatible

It needs more fonts and needs a larger font for people who have difficulty seeing. The large font is not very large and the normal font is tiny

You cannot set the phone so that it locks after a few minutes. This was a great safety feature on other phones and this phone does not have it and I don't know why. If it is stolen, it can be used by the thief. The security features on the iPhone are much better than this phone and the older flip phones were much better than this phone.

The camera is awful. The pictures are dark and grainy. I have used it but it really is awful.

It only has two languages, English and Spanish. If you wanted Russian, Hebrew, Yiddish, Chinese etc....don't go with this phone, go with another phone.

Very hard to use it with voice prompts but it says it has those. It may be that bluetooth is very hard to set up and that is why.

CONCLUSION
All in all. I am happy with it but in a few years when only smartphones are offered, I will have to bite the bullet and I will get an iPhone and get one and I know it will be better than this one but for now, this one is ok and as I share a service plan...I only pay $15 a month and rarely go over my minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly frustrating phone..., January 11, 2013
Gimp (Monroe, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Hands down, this is the worst phone I've ever owned. The touch screen is an absolute joke. Sometimes, it registers a "touch' while sitting idle on a table. Other times, I might be poking at something repeatedly on the screen with no response. Once, the phone erased all of my text messages while sitting in my pocket. The other day, I used the hands-free dialing feature and said "Call Marco Home" slowly and clearly. The phone responded "Did you say send a text message to Jeff?" I can't think of two phrases that are further apart!

I have taken it to the Verizon store, but they said everything was normal. I can't wait for my 2-years to be up so I can get something else...it's really, really bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars A nicely featured phone with unfortunate bugginess, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Update, 1/31/2013: I have had two weeks of hell with this phone, now two months old. It's been extremely buggy, won't turn on reliably, and is on its second battery. The previous battery went through periods where it wouldn't seat correctly, then wouldn't charge completely, and then wouldn't turn on the phone. We'll see if the new battery fixes the issue. I still like the phone, but don't trust it to work anymore.

Update, 8/9/2013: Still extremely buggy. Can't wait until my contract expires and I qualify for an upgrade to get rid of this thing. Do NOT buy. Too bad, because the phone's features are otherwise very nice.

-----------

Original review:

Like many here, I'm not interested in paying for a smartphone. My previous phone was an LG Octane, which suited its purposes well but had developed a loose connection with the charging cord and wouldn't charge properly. Having read a lot of reviews of the Brightside, I decided to take a chance with it.

So far, I have been reasonably pleased. Although many complain about the lack of customization (for example, you can only pick two color schemes, orange or green, neither of which are very attractive), the information display is customizable enough for my tastes. I can put those buttons on the display that I use (messages, calendar, notepad, My Pictures, etc) and move all the others that I never use (mobile web browser, social networks, My Music, etc) onto the back menu page. I like having the Favorite Contacts on the front, so the four people I call the most are just a single touch away.

The Voice Commands works quite well; I've become quite addicted to it. So far, the battery life seems good. The camera takes nice pictures, although the editing tools are rough. However, it's easy to drag pictures back and forth from the phone to the computer, and I strongly prefer Photoshop anyway to any piddling little editing tools available on a phone.

I got a hard rubber case for it right off the bat, and am happy with how it doesn't interfere with the sliding keyboard. It does add a little bulk to the phone, but it also seems to absorb some heat. My old phone used to get fairly hot after just a few minutes' use, so it's nice to have a cooler hand.

I also like how it keeps texts together in a conversation -- texts traded with the same person over a period of time will stay together in a scrollable format so you can read the entire exchange on one page. My old phone didn't do that.

There are some minor downsides. The default ringtones universally suck, so I spent about $18 having all my old ringtones transferred to the new phone. Other than the incoming message beep, there wasn't one of them I wouldn't be embarrassed to have as a ringtone.

The keyboard is both a good and bad thing. I really like the slide-out keyboard on the overall -- the keypad feel is good and crisp. However, with the case on, the top row is a bit crowded, and it's possible to hit the key below it by accident. And I have very small thumbs. Someone with large hands would definitely want to try out this keyboard with a phone case on before buying it. Unfortunately I think the hard case is pretty much a necessity, since the phone would probably be in deep trouble if dropped even a short distance.

Is it a good phone? So far. Is it a great phone? For that, you'll need to pay the extra $30 a month for a smartphone. It is what it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad, this is Verizon's best feature phone., September 30, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
At first this appeared to be a decent "feature phone" Unfortunately the firmware in the phone is is unstable at best. You can't count on the alarm to work. The touch screen is unpredictable. It goes from being overly sensitive, beeping as I walk down the hallway to being totally unresponsive when I want to answer a call. I ordered 5 of these for my family, In 5 months time, we have returned 6 phones for hardware repairs. Let's see, 1 display cracked while in my pocket, 2 had touch screen quit, 1 had radio die, 1 of the replacement phones never accepted more than 15 text messages at a time and after 3 month of this, Verizon agreed to a swap.

The sad thing about this. It is Verizon's best feature phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive but AWESOME!!, July 12, 2012
Papillon Chic (Urbandale, IA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
...A really great non-smart phone. VERY much like a smart phone. It's fun to operate and is got great clarity and volume. The keys on the keyboard are larger than my last phone (an Extravert) so I can text super quickly in comparison. The biggest positive is my only negative -- it's so sensitive, even with having to 'drag off the screen' to use the phone, it does so itself in a purse or even just walking around with it in your hand. Going to try a cover and hopefully it'll resolve itself.

P.S. Make sure you upgrade your phones on Amazon. This phone was $119 in the store, $100 on-line, but only 1 cent on Amazon!!'

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible phone concept, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I received an upgrade with my contract, and my carrier had this phone. Just not a good phone concept. It's great if you sit in one place all day long, but have to move around or pull it out of a pocket, etc. and the faults become evident. There is no - and I repeat, no - case out there that really functions well to protect this phone. I've had several and they just don't hold up; if you're on the go a great deal, then don't get this phone. I would gladly revert to a flip phone over this. It has everything you want except the things that you need: function.

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Brightside Phone, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone and did NOT like it. You can only choose between orange or green home screen for one thing and everywhere I carried it I accidentally bumped buttons that turned it on. It was very frustrating dealing with this phone. Thankfully I was able to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - just upgraded the rest of the famiily to this phone!, December 22, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Got this phone for my daughter in August. Love it so much that now that the rest of us are eligible for an upgrade, we are all getting this phone. We'll have to make sure none of our cases are the same so we don't get mixed up! Love the set up of the screen, great sound, great pictures, have had this keyboard on other phone and love that as well, and Verizon Wireless is the best coverage - have had them forever. Happy it was still available. Great option if you don't want to pay the extra monthly charge to have a smartphone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Headache, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this for my daughter, and 7 months later it's broke. Although it powers up, I can't get into some of the sub menus (Such as tools and settings). It just takes me back to the main menu. The keyboard doesn't work well. When I type a key, it shows on the screen for a fraction of a section, then gets deleted. It also shuts down on its own periodically. I can't reset it because I can't get to any of the administrative menus. So now I have a daughter who can't text (yes her social life is ruined for now). Perhaps that's a good thing? This is the first phone that one of our family members owned that actually malfunctioned (out of something like 15 phones). Bottom line, there is a reason so many people rate this a 1 star. Because it breaks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Great looking phone. Like some of the features. Unfortunately, the alarm and calandar stops working. I have been late to work at least 4 times since buying this piece of crap.

The alarm does not work if you are setting it for the next 24 hours. In otherwords, if it's 7pm and you set an alarm for 9pm, it will work. If it's 7pm and you set an alarm for the following morning, it will not work.

The only way around this is to a do master reset on the phone and therefore you will spend a good hour each time re-entering things like your notes, calandar events, alarms, just about everything it's customized for.

If yours works now, consider yourself lucky. Verizon is in total denial that there is an issue. Run, don't walk away from this busted piece of garbage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 416 | Next ›