4.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class
The Samsung Brightside is no smart phone. But for a basic phone with no required data plan, I believe it deserves "Best in Class."

The call quality is good, and Verizon offers the best coast-to-coast coverage in the cellular industry. The touch screen feels accurate and responsive. As with their Galaxy Tab, Samsung has proven they can build a good touch...
Published on March 7, 2012 by Stephen Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable. Sadly that's probably the best one can hope for
I must begin by saying I feel Verizon feature phones are rather terrible. Their cameras are bad even by 2008 standards. They have little customizability, and they often feel very very cheap.

I used an enV3 for three years, and despite random shut-down problems and freak-outs when exposed to japanese characters, it was a decent phone. The env3 took acceptable...
Published on March 5, 2012 by Michael Morrill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Please take heed of all these 1* reviews, May 5, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I looked at the reviews before getting this phone, but since I had few options to chose from I went with it anyway. Terrible mistake. This is the worst phone I have ever owned. I'm not sure how much the people giving this phone 5*s are getting paid, but do not buy this phone. The screen lock feature is terrible and unlocks with a soft breeze, allowing the vibration from your pulse to then call random people in your contacts. When you need to use the number pad on the screen the phone also likes to play a little game called, 'try to hit the number', in which you tap at your screen randomly while the phone changes from the touch screen being active or not. After about a month my space bar stopped working about 50% of the time. After a few more months the touch screen stopped working all together, which almost made me believe in a higher power, except that there is no way to operate most of the phone functions without it. In summary, do not buy this phone, do yourself a favor and get a flip phone, or a cup and string, or a message in a bottle, or perhaps learn an ancient cipher and train a murder of ravens to do your bidding, anything will be less frustrating than owning this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very underated, April 28, 2012
This phone deserves 5 stars
Very underated by many, simply because they expect Iphone in a basic phone,
This phone saves $360 a year on verizon's data plan @ $30/month

Phone is very user friendly and good for someone who needs saving every month w/o the data plan
Ordered online w/o even testing in store, more than satisfied with the performance
Samsung rules!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I admit, I like it, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I am still not ready to pay 50 bucks or more a month for an iPhone and this was the next best thing.

PROS
In a case, it is pretty indestructible. I have dropped mine and had the back pop off and it come apart and yet, I snap it back together and it works like a charm.

You can personalize it much better than the older phones

I love the blue icon grid (used to just have green and orange and now has green and blue and the blue is AWESOME)

Holds quite a few pictures, videos and songs

You can customize the front grid so whatever you want is on there

I actually like the Qwerty keyboard. I am a big fan of those and they work very well for me. I know some people hate them but I am not one of them

Holds a charge for quite a long time

Sets multiple alarms (my last phone didn't do that but it was pretty old)

Great music sound

The loud ring is really loud and the vibrate is pretty strong so you do feel it

The notepad feature is pretty good. I use it a lot for my grocery list

I love the fact that you can set world times so that all you have to do is click the icon and it will take you to the time of the city you are looking for. I have friends or relatives in several cities around the world and I find myself using this more than I thought I would.

CONS
It is not as "cool" as the iPhone

It is easy to punch a button by accident (like your voicemail)and that is super annoying

The videos have to be put into another format to play on the Brightside and its a little annoying to put them on

The bluetooth settings are not very good and its very hard to get it to be compatible

It needs more fonts and needs a larger font for people who have difficulty seeing. The large font is not very large and the normal font is tiny

You cannot set the phone so that it locks after a few minutes. This was a great safety feature on other phones and this phone does not have it and I don't know why. If it is stolen, it can be used by the thief. The security features on the iPhone are much better than this phone and the older flip phones were much better than this phone.

The camera is awful. The pictures are dark and grainy. I have used it but it really is awful.

It only has two languages, English and Spanish. If you wanted Russian, Hebrew, Yiddish, Chinese etc....don't go with this phone, go with another phone.

Very hard to use it with voice prompts but it says it has those. It may be that bluetooth is very hard to set up and that is why.

CONCLUSION
All in all. I am happy with it but in a few years when only smartphones are offered, I will have to bite the bullet and I will get an iPhone and get one and I know it will be better than this one but for now, this one is ok and as I share a service plan...I only pay $15 a month and rarely go over my minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly frustrating phone..., January 11, 2013
Gimp (Monroe, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Hands down, this is the worst phone I've ever owned. The touch screen is an absolute joke. Sometimes, it registers a "touch' while sitting idle on a table. Other times, I might be poking at something repeatedly on the screen with no response. Once, the phone erased all of my text messages while sitting in my pocket. The other day, I used the hands-free dialing feature and said "Call Marco Home" slowly and clearly. The phone responded "Did you say send a text message to Jeff?" I can't think of two phrases that are further apart!

I have taken it to the Verizon store, but they said everything was normal. I can't wait for my 2-years to be up so I can get something else...it's really, really bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't asking for much..., August 17, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
All I wanted was a functional phone. I enjoy having a keyboard for text messages and an alarm clock but those are the only bells and whistles I really need. Or that would be if it weren't for things that up to this point I should have taken for granted. Other than a kind of iffy lock key which has called at least three people in the two months since I got it, the phone just can't decide whether or not to stay charged. I noticed this within a couple weeks when sometimes a charge would last for little more than a school day and sometimes it would last for several on end, and once or twice it died immediately after being taken off the charger. My parents got the same phones and reported similar problems. But the last time this happened the phone wouldn't charge when I plugged it back in (it was perfectly functional up until the moment I removed it from the power socket) so I took the battery out and walked out for a couple hours to go grocery shopping. When I came back there was a crack across the screen. Except I didn't see how that could have happened. Except there was no evidence of physical damage. Except instead of spreading radially from the fissure, the screen was blank from its peak until it hit a perfectly straight line half a centimeter from the edge, a blinding mountain on a empty plane.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad, this is Verizon's best feature phone., September 30, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
At first this appeared to be a decent "feature phone" Unfortunately the firmware in the phone is is unstable at best. You can't count on the alarm to work. The touch screen is unpredictable. It goes from being overly sensitive, beeping as I walk down the hallway to being totally unresponsive when I want to answer a call. I ordered 5 of these for my family, In 5 months time, we have returned 6 phones for hardware repairs. Let's see, 1 display cracked while in my pocket, 2 had touch screen quit, 1 had radio die, 1 of the replacement phones never accepted more than 15 text messages at a time and after 3 month of this, Verizon agreed to a swap.

The sad thing about this. It is Verizon's best feature phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive but AWESOME!!, July 12, 2012
Papillon Chic (Urbandale, IA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
...A really great non-smart phone. VERY much like a smart phone. It's fun to operate and is got great clarity and volume. The keys on the keyboard are larger than my last phone (an Extravert) so I can text super quickly in comparison. The biggest positive is my only negative -- it's so sensitive, even with having to 'drag off the screen' to use the phone, it does so itself in a purse or even just walking around with it in your hand. Going to try a cover and hopefully it'll resolve itself.

P.S. Make sure you upgrade your phones on Amazon. This phone was $119 in the store, $100 on-line, but only 1 cent on Amazon!!'

1.0 out of 5 stars Stuck with it for another year, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I have had the Samsung Brightside phone for about a year now. I have constantly had problems with it and unfortunately I am stuck with it because of the two year contract. At first, the phone was great. Once the 14 day return period passed though I was stuck with a phone that can't handle texting. It slowly gets worse. The phone shuts off in the middle of a text, when I clear my text messages, when I open the keyboard most recently. Samsung and Verizon do not offer any sort of fix or update as far as I can see. I thought it had fixed itself at one point, but now it has gotten worse. Do not buy this phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy this phone, it is the worst, April 22, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
My husband and I both have this phone and we both hate it. We experience all of the sensitivity and hanging up issues others have mentioned. it is a not very funny joke - when anybody calls us, they can count on our hanging up on them while trying to answer - then we call them back. imagine what it is like when one of us tries to call the other - it is a circus. i have never written a review before because i am too lazy, but we really, really hate these phones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible phone concept, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I received an upgrade with my contract, and my carrier had this phone. Just not a good phone concept. It's great if you sit in one place all day long, but have to move around or pull it out of a pocket, etc. and the faults become evident. There is no - and I repeat, no - case out there that really functions well to protect this phone. I've had several and they just don't hold up; if you're on the go a great deal, then don't get this phone. I would gladly revert to a flip phone over this. It has everything you want except the things that you need: function.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›