4.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class
The Samsung Brightside is no smart phone. But for a basic phone with no required data plan, I believe it deserves "Best in Class."

The call quality is good, and Verizon offers the best coast-to-coast coverage in the cellular industry. The touch screen feels accurate and responsive. As with their Galaxy Tab, Samsung has proven they can build a good touch...
Published on March 7, 2012 by Stephen Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable. Sadly that's probably the best one can hope for
I must begin by saying I feel Verizon feature phones are rather terrible. Their cameras are bad even by 2008 standards. They have little customizability, and they often feel very very cheap.

I used an enV3 for three years, and despite random shut-down problems and freak-outs when exposed to japanese characters, it was a decent phone. The env3 took acceptable...
Published on March 5, 2012 by Michael Morrill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 517 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Brightside Phone, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone and did NOT like it. You can only choose between orange or green home screen for one thing and everywhere I carried it I accidentally bumped buttons that turned it on. It was very frustrating dealing with this phone. Thankfully I was able to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - just upgraded the rest of the famiily to this phone!, December 22, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Got this phone for my daughter in August. Love it so much that now that the rest of us are eligible for an upgrade, we are all getting this phone. We'll have to make sure none of our cases are the same so we don't get mixed up! Love the set up of the screen, great sound, great pictures, have had this keyboard on other phone and love that as well, and Verizon Wireless is the best coverage - have had them forever. Happy it was still available. Great option if you don't want to pay the extra monthly charge to have a smartphone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Headache, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this for my daughter, and 7 months later it's broke. Although it powers up, I can't get into some of the sub menus (Such as tools and settings). It just takes me back to the main menu. The keyboard doesn't work well. When I type a key, it shows on the screen for a fraction of a section, then gets deleted. It also shuts down on its own periodically. I can't reset it because I can't get to any of the administrative menus. So now I have a daughter who can't text (yes her social life is ruined for now). Perhaps that's a good thing? This is the first phone that one of our family members owned that actually malfunctioned (out of something like 15 phones). Bottom line, there is a reason so many people rate this a 1 star. Because it breaks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Great looking phone. Like some of the features. Unfortunately, the alarm and calandar stops working. I have been late to work at least 4 times since buying this piece of crap.

The alarm does not work if you are setting it for the next 24 hours. In otherwords, if it's 7pm and you set an alarm for 9pm, it will work. If it's 7pm and you set an alarm for the following morning, it will not work.

The only way around this is to a do master reset on the phone and therefore you will spend a good hour each time re-entering things like your notes, calandar events, alarms, just about everything it's customized for.

If yours works now, consider yourself lucky. Verizon is in total denial that there is an issue. Run, don't walk away from this busted piece of garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep your expectations low!, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Perhaps it was my fault for having too high of expectations, but this phone was disappointing on every level. The biggest issue is the slowness of the processor. There is unbelievable lag time between when you press a button and when there is a response on the screen. This issue is further compounded by inconsistency and poor quality search engine. When searching from the home screen the results are OK but not great. Unfortunately, when texting (specifically group messages), the search only operates on a character-by-character basis. Meaning if you have two "Johnathan"s in your phone and you want to text the second one, you will have to type out "Johnathan X" to get past the first one. There is also an absurd lag time between switching from texting a single recipient to a group text.

Another annoying feature is the gross misallocation of screen space, again, specifically when it comes to texting. When reading texts you can see 2 or 3 messages at a time, and that is if they are very short. Long messages will often not even fit on the screen. Even worse, when responding to a text, the msg box covers up the last txt in the conversation. So if you need to re-read the last text you got as you are responding, you have to save your current msg as a draft, go back to the conversation, read the text, go back to the main messaging screen, go to your drafts, and re-open your message.

In summary, Samsung over looked a lot of the basic little features that make phones easy to use. This carelessness resulted in a phone that is difficult to navigate and annoying to use. I can't wait to get a new phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars The WORST phone I have ever owned, November 4, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The WORST phone I have ever owned. I have had the phone for over 1 year which is ample time to use it and report on it. From day 1, these things occured: The touch screen only works sometimes. For certain other things (such as selecting specific texts to delete and you have to click on a check box) it only works sporadically when you touch the screen multiple times. Other things don't ever work no matter how many times you try. I bought an extra memory card when I bought the phone and both the phone memory and card memory are not even one-quarter full and the phone will give me messages about "memory being full". So I have to go in and delete all texts, (I can only keep about 60) calendar reminders (I can only keep the past couple months), pictures (I only have 10 small kb pictures and that's about all it will hold) and delete everything else I can think of. Now the phone is not even opening some texts. Even with resetting, updating, taking the battery out and put back in....the phone still messes up so much that I can't even stand it anymore. I normally don't complain about products and don't write reviews and I put up with inconveniences for quite q while, but this phone has done me in. For me to write this review, you should know it has to be a horrible product. DO NOT GET THIS PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as OLDER Samsung Basic phones!!!!, January 18, 2013
Furman Walter (Anderson, South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I got this basic phone to get out of the Verizon Smart phone contract. It is the worst basic phone I have ever owned! I had trouble with the phone even in my pocket hitting keys as I took it out to answer. It would not pair correctly (Bluetooth) in either of my cars!!! A 2012 Jeep Wrangler and a 2010 Lexus LX. I went to Verizon and to the Jeep dealership for help in pairing. It will not work in MANY cars so I was told. I found an old Verizon Phone (Samsung Flip U410) I used many years ago and LOVE the OLD phone!!! It is now conected and works GREAT for a basic phone!!! I plan to sell the Brightside next week or even give it away!!! I would not recommend this phone to anyone. Looking on the "Brightside" my old Samsung is working great!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Basic Phone!, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for a few days now and have gotten to know it a little bit.
Pros: Great touch screen. Barely any Lag. The Sound is great(even the people I'm talking to have noticed it). the Qwerty keyboard is smooth and the keys are spaced out enough for my clunky thumbs.
Cons: On occasion when I'm texting on the screen and I hit the T9 button the phone will restart. I don't like that there is no QWERTY keyboard on screen. The texts you sent get deleted if your mailbox is full without your permission.

Overall its a great phone for the price. I'm on a family plan and only pay $30 a month which is nice. You can access the web if you want to pay for it. People say that they had issues with the main screen being a menu, well you can customize it. And if you learn to lock your phone then you'll have no issue what so ever!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many bugs, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I was told at the Verizon store after returning another non-smart phone that the Samsung Brightside is the best in class. I bought it because of the slide keyboard. However after having it a couple of weeks, here is what I have found.

Good:
No $30 per month data fee
Talk clarity is not bad.
Nicely laid out keyboard

Bad:
As mentioned in other reviews, it is way to sensitive and I am constantly going into areas I did not want to go...voice mail is the big one.
Horrible speaker phone quality.
Received text message are cut off short for no apparent reason.
When the phone is locked, it will unlock by itself in your pocket...calling VM or the web!
Camera quality is of phone produced 3 yrs ago.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very fragile, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Brightside (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I had this phone for 2 weeks and thought it was great. I enjoyed the camera, but the touch screen was very sensitive. I bought the protective case and my phone had dropped to the floor, about a 2 feet drop, and instantly the touch screen stopped working. There isn't a scratch or ding on the phone...it wasn't a hard fall at all. I have dropped other cell phones numerous times even where the battery comes flying out, and those falls all still worked. I called Samsung and of course there is nothing they can do for me except charge me an arm and a leg to fix it. So now I have a 2 week old phone that doesn't work. Don't get this phone if you think there is a chance you might drop it!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 517 | Next ›