5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 19 10 1122 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bye iPhone, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
5 stars from me. Is it perfect? No. Does it do everything I need it to do, and well? Yes.

I've had the iPhone since the original and between playing Apple's upgrade every year game and their strict control over MY phone, I've been ready to dump the iPhone for a long time. Finally AT&T (whom I've never had an issue with) introduced a good Android phone, so I decided to give it a go. I'm pleased to say the least. It does everything the iPhone does and more.

The OS is great. Everything is laid out well and customization reaches far beyond anything you could do with the iPhone. The Captivate is more complex to operate than the iPhone, given the endless options and control you have, but it's not difficult. It just makes the iPhone seem so...dumbed down. If your a technological retard or tween who only wants to text 500 times a day, the iPhone is probably perfect for you.

The only thing missing from the Captivate is Android 2.2, which Samsung has yet to release to us. Based on what I've read about it, it should fix the few short comings of the current OS version.

I have to say though, without the iPhone damnyouautocorrect.com just wouldn't be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, Awesome Phone, If I Dare to call it just a phone., November 25, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
After doing a rather extensive research I got this phone, yes I evaluated it over Iphones, other Androids, My own windows Phone etc.

First I'm gonna start with the con's that I see... cause they are so little :D

To short battery life ( but you can have several batteries, car charger wall charger, charge it on the pc and what not )
The camera sometimes lags a BIT, but just a tad.. and normally I take video in low light, I have to test it a bit more.

Pros:

No idea where to start, this thing is called a "phone" but it's basically another pc, I have not tested the Bluetooth so I can't talk about it but here's my review on other things ( I come from a windows mobile phone , the tytn II )

The screen is just exquisit, it looks vivid, bright, clean and inviting, it does not hurt you to use it for hours and hours, I wish my pc monitor and tv monitor where samoled, I really have to say that since I got this phone I have used it ( amongst many other things ) as a book reader, without any strain, actually I have read 2.5 books so far, and I really love it, I use the Adobe Pdf viewer from the market or the Quickoffice Pdf viewer.

The 3G that it has is super fast, much better than on my other phone, it connects in seconds and well also the wifi, but I love how it automatically switches from wifi to 3g depending on the fact that it finds the wifi network or not, normally I'm not even aware what network it's using unless the 3g lags but that's not the phone that's the 3g.

The sensitivity of the screen is so so good, that even my almost 2yo daughter uses this phone, she uses simple games like mole,mole,mole, or talking tom ( all from the marketplace ) so really you don't have to be a genius to use this, heck also my mom that is 60+++ has used it, and she loves it, specially the fact that because the screen is so large that she can actually see it.

oh The volume is great, and the reception is awesome as well, the speaker-phone feature is extremely good ( sometimes you would wish for a bit more volume, but still it's extremely good )

The camera, I love the camera, but I love even more that I can take a video and just send it right to youtube, ( IN HD and all ), so I don't even need my pc to upload the videos to it then to youtube, direct upload is awesome.

Also I love the widget it has for social medial, I can wake up and check up facebook, twitter and myspace, even comment and reply, ( even post if I wakeup in the middle of the night ) on that widget I also have the weather forecast, and AP news, so basically I can do "basic" chores while still in bed, get informed, check the twits, and see if it's gonna be rainy :D

Oh the Youtube app it has is AWESOME, and once again it's used a lot by my daughter, she loves to see kids clips there, so she really likes that, and I don't have to go to the PC to put her videos.

oh Also I have a HTPC, ( home theater pc ) that's windows 7 using the windows media center, that I control with a physical remote, but now I also control it from the phone ( over wifi, not IR )

It's so light, that I really can use it basically all day, oh and I use it for instant messaging as well..

The other viewers it has are awesome, specially skyfire, where you can watch justin.tv ( yesterday I saw toystory again ), and I would LOVE this phone to have netflix support that's the only thing I'm missing really.

of course it can be used as a video player since it has TV out, not HDTV but TV out, RCA out, ( yellow, white, red ), oh and the allshare dnla server, great either watch the videos of the HTPC or the PC on the phone or send the videos to the xbox360 or to the TV, or pc.

Also due to the huge amount of games this has, I have not used my PSP as much lately, but I've been playing a lot on this, most games are quite good and since they use screen controls or tilting as controls they are different, my wife that is not a gamer at all, has been playing this game called angry birds that is quite addictive and fun. ( she takes the phone whenever I'm not using it to play )

Oh the keyboard is great, the swype is a great way to input text, I had to use the stylus on the tytn and never really wrote anything on it, unless I was using it from the PC, on this one I actually write, ( as I said before, its basically another pc not a phone )

Oh the camera 5mp, for me is GREAT but I love the little things it has like one touch click to focus, now I can just focus on what I want with one click and the phone calculates the correct depth of field so everything else becomes blurry, ( so much for learning how to take professional pictures ) but you can also do things manually if you like to, or use it as a point and shoot camera, of course your images will be instantly uploaded to picasa, and that's a feature I DO LOVE, since I love to have my images saved online just in case.

I have also used this phone as a webcam, as a microphone for the pc, as a barcode scanner and well so many things it's has been amazing.

I'm really excited about this phone and can't wait to see what the future will bring.

I have to say, that I do know windows 6.5 and I've used it a lot but I do not understand why all the fuzz of windows 7 ( mobile operative systems of course ), of windows 7 to use the phone and get out fast... I actually enjoy using my phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Had the phone for several weeks now and I am very pleased! Huge crystal clear display and swype rocks. Sadly the first phone I received had issues with the home button randomly and continually clicking. Returned to amazon and got working phone in two days, easy. Watching movies and youtube are clearer than my monitor and the phone multitasks well. Touch screen is spot on. Call quality is good. Overall a great phone, I would say on par if not superior to iphone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heck of a phone, but reception could be better, September 10, 2010
J. Kinsella (MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Ok, the phone all in all is pretty amazing. Fast, beautiful screen, nice app selection, touch screen typing (my first) seemed fine.
But my first two inbound calls faded in and out. I live about 40 Miles NW of Boston, near the service fringe, but not in it. According to AT&T Service Map, I live in a "Good" but not "Great" area.
My last two phones Nokia E62 and Blackberry Bold rarely had a problem.. When I was experiencing the fade outs, I was conscious of moving my hand position around, to see if that was a factor...it wasn't.
The Signal Strength on the Captivate read 2 bars. On the Nokia E62, 4 bars, my BB Bold died a year ago from Salt Water.
First and foremost, I need a solid Phone, one that I don't need to stand out on the deck in the middle of winter to avoid reception fade outs.
So after two days of playing with my new cool Captivate, I sent it back on its way to Amazon. I am going to try the BB Torch. I am hoping that like my Honda Ridgeline, what it lacks in flash, it will make up for in solid reliable performance.
Amazon Wireless was a breeze to work with on this. I put the Captivate in the mail today and the Torch is on its way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Smartphone - GPS = not worth the money, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone does not have a functioning GPS. Google Maps and other apps that rely on GPS do not function correctly, if at all. Samsung/at&t released their promised fix finally but it didn't fix it. I now doubt that it is fixable. Search the forums and you will see that. If you don't want GPS, go ahead and buy it. But why when most smartphones on the market have a GPS?

They said they would fix it so I waited past the 30 day period and now I'm stuck with it. As far as Android phones go, it's an otherwise good phone. But there are many Android phones out there with GPS that works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I love my phone! It is one of the easiest ones I have used and I love the number of applications I can use on it. It was a "best buy" and I will make sure to enjoy it for the next two years :)

I do wish a person could get rid of the bloatware on the phones. I will not use them and they just take up space. That is very annoying.

Overall, it is a great phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Overall Phone, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Excellent phone. Had it for 2 weeks now. Compared to my old Windows HTC.

The Bad first:
- Battery and battery is bad. 6 hours if heavy internet/app use. 1 day for light use. Keep a charger with you.
- Slow to load up after being turned off, several minutes.
- No Camera Flash or LED for notifications. No Front camera.
- May slow down with many applications but not freezed yet.
- No physical phone buttons to hang up or call.
- Very slow GPS navigation.
- Voice quality could be better and louder.
- Limited customization.

Good:
- Fast enough for most people. Did not freeze yet.
- Upgraded to Android 2.2. Great OS.
- Screen, very good quality and responsive.
- Camera resolution is very good in daylight.
- Can Skype, Video/Voice chat, Pandora.
- Good Speaker.
- Apps every where for everything.
- Can disable 3G and go with WiFi if needed for data overage.

Recommended.
No more Windows phone for me or HTC. Last two of these; Freezes all the time, slow, stopped working after warranty expired, bad screen and NO APPLICATION that can be used. Makes a good phone useless..

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this phone, there are better options for android, April 3, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have had my captivate for some time now and it has been an exercise in frustration since day one. Simply put, it is just a broken phone and I don't think samsung cares about it, or their image. Constant lagging, like minutes long lagging. Random shut downs. Sometimes it freezes and you have to remove the battery. Slow and incomplete media scans that does not recognize apps that are on the phone, I can see them in the file browser but not in the app drawer. GPS problems all the time. Constantly deleting my widgets. I could go on and on, this phone is terrible. At first I thought maybe it was just the android os, but none of my friends phones have these problems, so I put the blame squarely on samsung. I love android so much and I love customizing my phone, but this phone makes it difficult to do so when it freezes or shuts down and everything I have done is deleted and I have to start over. Oh and the battery sucks.

However, the screen is great. There that is the one nice thing that I can say.

Screw you samsung, you suck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone-and more, March 24, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is a fantastic phone, and does so many things.The screen is very sharp and clear. I have literally over 100 books on the phone, and read them regularly with ease, and my eyes are 55 years old. Any time I have a minute or two, I can get in a little reading, or catch the news, or sports or Tweets, all with ease. I can easily take notes with several different apps that all synch with my computer, i.e. My Writing Spot. I also use dropbox and Evernote, both of which are extremely helpful in sharing any and all info with any of my desktops (I have three-2 pc's and 1 mac)and my iPad (which I use a lot) and even with my wifes iPhone 3Gcs.
The iphone 3gcs (ATT) is very nice - easy to use. I love it for its ease of use, but the Samsung has better resolution, and a little easier on the eyes.
If you are connected to the pc world and do a lot of stuff with google, this is the phone for you.
I can also sync all my devices to my To Do list using Toodledo (GTD). This is a must for me. Anytime, anywhere, I can check, or add to my to do list and it automatically goes to all my devices/computers, including macs, ipads and iphone. A really good phone is a must. The right apps are crucial.
If you are really connected to apple, then you may want an iphone. But the iphone 4 for 200 buck, vs this phone for a penney? This one wins ever time - unless you are a millionire.
My only real complaint is the battery life. I like to leave wi-fi because I use it so much, but it really drains the battery. Even with it off, I still have to charge it every night, and often times sooner, so I have a usb cord at work and plug it in there, and also one in my car.
ONe other minor gripe - but it is more with ATT, than with the phone (but really - what't the difference. If you get this phone, you get ATT) and that is that ATT charges $10 a month for the map/gps program. I should be free as I am already paying for data.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average and overly underrated phone..., January 26, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Well, first off i'd like to say that this phone is alright. All of those reviews out there about major bugs and all that jazz are wrong....unless you get it from some random 3rd party seller. It has an amzing amoled screen meaning that the screen is aligned with the buttons (integrated for short) the swype texting a fun and also the internet it fast.... im on this phone from a samsung eternity.. BUT i've used my friends iphone 4 and not impressed with it. The customizable freedom on the captivate is amazing and the calls are clear

My main cons are:
1. SOMETIMES the phone wont mount to the computer therefore making me take the sd out and putting it an adapter(problem fixed)
2. There aren't that many good, sleek (protective) cases out there, but don't get me wrong the ottor box defender case is ver very protective (and what i have)

SO, overall i still am giving it a 3/5. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a highly customizable OS.....hope this helped you!
*Update* 11/15/2012- I have recently been through a handful of phones prior to my purchase of the Captivate. Galaxy S2, S3, and finally an Iphone 5. Now that I look back on the phone, it may have seemed powerful at one point but now it is a shadow.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1122 | Next ›