5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 110 11 1222 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpasses the iPhone by a country mile!, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is coming from an iPhone user for over 2 years and thought there was no phone better than the iPhone. I was also being told by my fellow "iPhoners" that I would find nothing comparable...WRONG! This phone WAY passed ALL expectations! I have only had the phone a little over a month and have found so many more useful apps on this phone! The camcorder made a BEAUTIFUL video of my nephew's 1st Christmas. Picture quality and sound quality were wonderful without me even trying. I loved the Navigator...the phone uses the whole screen and it is a very clear picture and volume is very clear so the directions come through loud and clear even with other people in the vehicle talking. YouTube video quality in my opinion is so much better than the iPhone! I could go on and on! It was a very smart move on my part and well worth the switch! I am so glad I gave it a try! In my book, an iPhone killer definitely! The only thing I do miss on my iPhone is "Words with Friends" but I will get over that! I will never go back to Apple!

4.0 out of 5 stars Going to Captivate from Blackberry, January 20, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Previously a Blackberry Bold 9000 user, I ordered a Captivate to hopefully avoid some of the problems that plagued the Blackberry. I have had it for just a few days now but thought it might be useful to write a review while the memory of the Blackberry experience was fresh.

There are many nice things about this phone, and some rather glaring and fundamental omissions as well. First off, I researched what others were saying and here are my responses to the common complaints.

1. No keyboard - a big concern for me when deciding, but it is no problem. If I had to peck it might be but after doing the Swype tutorial it is truly brilliant and I can quite easily type at least as fast as I ever could on the BB.

2. No camera flash - to me no problem. Flash on a cell phone is of limited value and any photos taken with it sure look like it. The low-light performance of the Captivate camera is quite good and so photos in most situations where I might think flash would be necessary are easily possible and come out well without any flash.

3. Short Battery Life - So far I am finding this to be very true. I was prepared for less life than the Blackberry, but I am still disappointed. Most striking to me is that it takes longer to charge a given amount of charge than it does to use it. 20 minutes of use (an app or two, a bit of browsing) takes nearly 20% off the battery, while it can take twice that plugged in to a wall to charge that 20% back. With a USB charger in my car it charged 3% in an hour drive. When the screen is locked (phone not in use) it seems to hold a charge very well, it is just the rate at which it drains when in use that is alarming.

4. Poor GPS performance - I am also finding this to be the case. Outdoors, holding the phone it seems to locate fairly well, just a matter of seconds for it to get a lock. But in a car, where I imagine many might want to use it, it has been unusable. I looked up online and downloaded a Samsung "GPS fix" from the Android Market and it made no difference. In a 30-minute drive the GPS had a fix for roughly 5 minutes, with 20 minutes before the first fix and the first fix lasting only a minute or two. I am glad to have a dedicated GPS unit and not to have expected to rely on the phone for it.

5. AT&T bundled apps not removable - no problem for me (I don't use them). Display is customizable so it's easy enough to get them out of the way and forget about them.

Some other things I have discovered that have made me concerned (I am still considering returning it):

Email - It synced with my POP email accounts no problem. What drives me nuts is that it automatically downloads 50 emails total, no more. For me that represents four or five days worth of emails if that, and I need to be able to access them when I have no signal. It is possible (with a signal/wifi) to "get more", but then that takes time as it downloads a day or two at a time, and then if you turn the phone off it resets to just the 50 emails. Trying to access an email from three weeks ago is just not practical. There are no options for adjusting this, like with the Blackberry that will keep emails for 30 days, I confirmed that with Samsung customer support.

Text copy/paste - I am dumbfounded by how limited the copy/paste functions are. For example, impossible with email except with new text you write. The text from the email your friend sent? Not possible. It is possible in certain applications and in the browser but it is very cumbersome and extremely limited, for example in the browser it just uses one touch - no adjustment to the area copied and no scrolling. If I keep the phone I will likely purchase Documents to Go to have somewhere I can copy and paste, but it seems silly to need to do that for a phone like this.

Browser - The browser is not turning out to be as "full html" as I was expecting. One surprising example - the only bookmark included out of the box is for Samsung Captivate Support, but that site does not display properly in the browser (!) and the fields are illegible. I copied the address (by hand) and used a desktop computer. Sites with drop-down menus are quite difficult to use, it seems to take numerous tries to get a menu do actually drop down. Of course, on the Bold this was not possible in most cases so this is an improvement but not meeting my expectations.

Now the good - The phone works well. Not as intuitive as I had hoped, I've had to spend quite a bit of time researching how to do things but I am finding in most cases they are possible. Calendar is great, no more mysteriously deleted appointments (Blackberry..)I am finding applications from the Android Market are necessary to make up for some of the capabilities the phone lacks out of the box, but at least that is possible and the selection is very good. Download time for apps is impressive. Ability to view PDF's out of the box is great. Ability to customize it is great, I feel comfortable with being able to set it up as I like. Wi-fi performance is much, much better than the Bold. The touch screen works great. Basically it does what it's supposed to do (hence 4 stars) but I'm disappointed by some of the things it wasn't made to do.

Edit: after having the phone for another week a few more comments about the above. First of all, the battery seems to be lasting quite a bit longer now, seems it needed a few charges to get all the way there. I can now comfortably make it through a day of medium usage on a single charge. The Blackberry was probably still a little better but this is quite acceptable now for my needs. Second, I found another email client in the Android Market that allows local storage (phone or SD) of up to two months of messages AND cutting and pasting. I've decided I'm keeping the phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars GPS does not work...phone randomly looses service, December 25, 2010
Abhinav Bhatnagar (Hackensack, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
GPS does not work now...phone randomly looses service.
I am really really frustrated.

I wish, i had bought iPhone 4 :(

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy if you will be using the phone for navigatioj, November 29, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Gps + google map doesnt work at all. I tried the firmware fix but still no luck.
So I would recommend not to buy this phone if you will be using google map app.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
After breaking two iphones, I knew it was to delicate of a phone for me. So, I switched to the Samsung Captivate, as the battery is easily removable (to dry out in case of water spillage). Now I can't remember what I miss about the iphone. The apps are great, I love speech to text. My hotmail account was able to be set up as an emaiil app(had problems with the iphone and windows phone) Driod is user friendly and you can arrange applications on different home screens. I did learn that you cannot set specific text notifications tones to specific contacts. Tip* you can change the text notification tone from messaging screen under settings, instead of going through the settings application function.* I am sure most people could figure that out, but I had the chicken dance song stuck as my text alert and couldn't figure out how to remove it. I did install samsung kies, and when you work around it, you can store your contacts and import music. I am not a techy so I hope the I used the right terminology. The phone just needs a flash. Good Luck !

4.0 out of 5 stars Closer to a Laptop than a Phone..., September 29, 2010
This is a first-impressions review. I'm pretty particular about my phone equipment; I've had a cell phone since 1992 and have had service with every carrier. We were pleased with the Sprint signal, but didn't want to pay the extra 10 clams for the 4G service that's not in our area yet (central Indiana) which was required for me to upgrade my phone to any of the Sprint smartphones. So, the search for a new phone/provider was initiated.

I've been carrying a Blackberry 8330 for two years, and it has been a very reliable piece of equipment. But, the small screen makes the navigation hard to decipher, and the browser lacked the functionality of the newer smartphones. Long story short, after a month of research on the 'net and stopping at phone stores to play with equipment, I landed on the Samsung Captivate. With ATT's plans, it made sense for my wife to get one, too, as the lower-end data plan is cheaper than the available plan for the messaging phones.

Likes- 1-screen is fantastic; 2-web browser is extremely fast (I use my for product research in my historic art business, and am often trying to do quick artist searches in people's homes); 3-availability of Google apps that actually do something (rather than just the 'look at what my phone can do' apps that have no useful functions...) 4- paper-thin form that fits comfortably in my pocket(I didn't want a slider phone and this is the only Samsung Galaxy S that's not a slider); 5-Google navigation is superior to the Google Maps I had downloaded to the Blackberry and the voice command feature is nice- with a 4.3" screen, I have no need for a separate GPS appliance. 6- WiFi feature- saves the data minutes on the package and automatically connects to open WiFi services

Dislikes- Admittedly, I had a Blackberry and could type a novel with one hand, so it takes some getting used to all the swiping and scrolling. I've had it for almost a week now, and the major complaint is that the phone functions seem secondary to the 'everything else' functions. I have figured out that the Google voice search will complete a 'call' command and search the contacts database for the appropriate number. Less functional than my one-letter speed dial on the Blackberry, though. The on-screen keyboard is a 'getting-used-to-it' feature, too, but I do find the Swype keyboard quite handy. Enable that feature, for sure. Also, don't like the fact that ATT's signal in my house isn't as good as Sprint was, but it's tolerable.

My wife, less a tech-goof than I, is having a ball with this phone, though. She upgraded from an LG Rumor, so this is like discovering the wheel for her... ;-) And, yes, she's found things (settings, features) on the phone before I have which have helped me in the transition.

My favorite thing, though, is the Mabilo ringtone I downloaded...it's the 1960's Star Trek communicator sound that is now my text message notification. Cool, huh?

Oh, and don't forget the fact that Amazon had this phone for about 30% of what ATT charges for it. That was a real decision-helper, too, and I'm also not an I-Phone clone, either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Android Aspect of it..., July 17, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Thank the heavens AT&T didn't drink all of the I phone cool-aid and finally offered a Android phone that was worth while. This model is no where near the best of all the android phones out there, but it is by far the best one offered by AT&T... It runs on android 2.1 and has a very nice AMOLED display that looks very nice!!! Battery is a pain if you do all the things this phone is capable of doing...I have had it for 3 days and have had to charge it every day....

Like the phone so far... just wish there were more choices with AT&T for androids...

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be good but a major software bug, November 19, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I picked up my samsung captivate android a couple days ago, Nov. 16, 2010. It works beautifully as a iphone contender when "it is on", but it has a major software bug which turns the phone off, and people calling are directed to the voice mail. The bug can be worked around with app called "Captivate Keep alive" which tell the phones cpu to stay awake. It does seem to work, but it drains the battery faster and does take a few cycles from the CPU. I would rate this product a 4 to 5 star product, but samsung and att won't admit to the problem, but I do know that people at AT&T know about it because a person at their stores has a similar issue and told me the work around. I would definitely tell people to buy the product if you are ok with the work around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't sign contract with AT&T, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I love the phone but AT&T screws it up so much that I just want to smash it to the wall. The example is AT&T prevents it from installing Amazon AppStore, so, basically, we can't not get any of the free or purchased apps from Amazon. They put up a website promising to work with Amazon on the AppStore. It has been weeks already, what's available? NOTHING & NOTHING. It's just a lie, delay tactic by AT&T. Did I even mention the signal is really, really suck? Drop calls all the time. Funny thing is, at my house, I got 2 bars but can't make or receive calls. 3G? I'm paying for it but, to get any data, I have to use my own wifi. Calling tech support, they are just as clueless as a plumber trying to repair computer. 2+ weeks and many hours on the phone with them, I still can not use the phone at my house...
If you're in the market for a new Android phone, save your soul, go with other models in the Galaxy S family from another provider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone!!!!, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
great phone...the only gripe I have is that it takes 3 hours to charge, but other wise it is a really good phone, and very esy to use and the reception is by far one of the best on any at&t phone, sround my area at&t phones don't work in the Target, but this one does...great job at&t and Samsung

‹ Previous | 110 11 1222 | Next ›