5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 422 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better alternative to iPhone, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for about 2 months now and I think it is worthy of a review. If you're choosing between this and the iPhone I HIGHLY suggest you choose this and save yourself some money. There's no need to spend 200 more dollars on pretty much the same phone, if not better.
The Captivate is a great phone, but not prefect.
Pros:
- Slick and easy to use interface: Widgets and icons on the home screen make it easy to use while still looking really good.
- The AMOLED display is amazing.
- Setting up email is simple and quick.
- Flipping through menus and screens is a breeze and there is no waiting and little lag.
- Even though there aren't as many apps as the iphone, there is still everything you need and more. There are all of the productivity tools you need for a phone and there are plenty of games, the games aren't as advanced as the iphone's but they are getting there.
- FREE GPS navigation. Full featured, turn by turn directions. You can pretty much get rid of your portable car gps.
- Very customizable. The live wallpapers are neat, widgets are helpful, wide range of apps that can get your phone exactly how you want.
- Text messaging is a breeze, the buttons are responsive and the SWYPE input option is very fast if you can get used to it.
- Camera is really good for a phone and the video is REALLY good for a phone. Videos look very clear and sharp and there is no lag on it.
- Good call quality.
- 16gb of memory on board is a huge plus. And it's expandable to another 16 gb.
- If you have a wireless n router, then connect the phone to it instead of using the 3g. I just started using this last night and it is extremely fast, it amazed me how much of a difference there was. Pages loaded entirely in about 2-3 seconds.
- Battery is good if you have it on the right display settings. You should have to charge it every night unless you use it all day.

Some cons:
- AT&T bloatware. I highly suggest rooting the phone whenever you can. This way you can delete the AT&T bloatware, which makes the phone run faster. If you add too many apps with the att apps on there the phone begins to run a little slow.
- Apps are saved only on a 2gb internal memory card and you can't save them to the 16gb card unless you root the phone.
- I have about 1500 songs on the on board memory right now and the stock music player runs a little slow. It is not as breezy as and iPhone, but it still works well.
- The phone can get laggy at times when too many apps are being used.
- No notification light. Text, calls, email, etc. can go unnoticed if you don't hear the notification. Theres an app called NoLED that is useful but still a light around the phone would have been better.
- No front facing camera. No big deal. How often do people need to video chat on their phone anyway?
- The phone is BIG, people with smaller hands may not like it, but I have pretty big hands so it fits perfectly.
- The gps signal is weird. When I use it and have the phone in my lap while driving, it will lose signal, which can potentially get you lost. But if you keep it on the dash and it can clearly see the sky, the signal is fine.

Again, I highly suggest rooting your phone and getting the Titanium Backup app, this will allow you to delete those really unnecessary ATT apps and have the phone run faster.
Also if you do get this phone, do NOT get a task killer app, it actually makes the phone slower for some reason. The phone is made to handle multitasking.
The cons are all things that are easy to look past and they're just little gripes that I think may matter to some people. I'm glad I chose this over the iPhone and I would do it again any day. It pretty much depends if you prefer android over the iOS. (I feel like they're generally the same in most aspects)
This should be everything you need to know if you're considering this phone. Thanks for reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Captivate problems, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Received the phone a week ago and as usual the Amazon transaction went smoothly. The phone was activated through ATT with no problems.

Pros: Display is great and the processor is very fast.

Cons: After two days, the phone started shutting itself off randomly, 4-10+ times a day. A Google search turned up a lot of complaints for the same problem. So far, no solutions. Neither Samsung or ATT acknowledges a problem. Until a fix if found, the Captivate phone is unreliable, so use caution when buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful handheld computer with phone!, August 1, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
After my almost 2 year old Samsung Eternity had a swim in a glass of coca cola(and survived but is starting to act up a bit)and has been trusted, sturdy and reliable, I decided to stick with Samsung and check out the Captivate and Android. (Still not drawn to the iphone...)
It was with much anticipation the Captivate arrived, and I have spent a lot of time in the last few days checking it out. I believe all the technical stuff has been covered by others more savvy than me, but for what it's worth I'll throw in my few cents:

- Having this big beautiful screen and all the apps to play with, of course you want to play with it. However, I found that I burned through the battery very fast and had to charge it twice a day. It did help to download the App Killer which stops selected items from running all the time. But still.
When you go in and look at how the battery is used, the majority of the power goes to just the display, although I had it at 30 sec. timeout and lowest brightness setting.
Not much point for me having a phone with all those possibilities, but not juice to make a phone call in the afternoon. Especially since this is my primary phone.
- I liked the USB/ adapter charger, but the cord for some reason is quite a lot shorter than what I'm used to, making it hard for me to use the phone while it's charging/ plugged in.
- I disliked that the power button and the volume button are located in the same spot on opposite sides of the phone, as I found it difficult to not hit both by accident when trying to either adjust volume or unlock it, and vice versa (with one hand).
- By the way there is a double lock on this phone: you first need to press the power button, then slide the screen (there are different ways to do that) and I found this cumbersome. But there's an app for that (!) which eliminates the slide unlock :)
- Others have complained that there is no text correction function, but there actually is if you use the Samsung keyboard: hold and press the [123] button and voila! LOVE the keyboard, what an upgrade from the Eternity!
- Where I live (Nantucket Island) the signal bar has been very dicey. I have not had a dropped call and the sound is crystal clear, but compared to the Eternity (best coverage I have ever had) it made me a bit weary.
- The included headphones are great with 3 sizes of bud cushions to fit your ear canal. However, as far as I can see it only works with the music player and not as a hands free. (?)
- Big sure is beautiful, but this phone is too big for me, although it's very slim and light. Coming from the Eternity it felt like it was a handful, even without a protective cover.
And speaking of which... the phone is so new that I have not been able to get a cover for it, which has made me a little nervous to use it in the event I want to return it. There are some out there, but most are not available until around mid August.

There are so many things I love about this gadget, and it's been a tough decision to send it back... but that's what I'm doing; primarily because of the battery life, signal bars and size. I give it 4 stars although it may qualify for 5, simply because it doesn't fit my needs as much as I would want it too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be a Great phone, but it falls short with MS Outlook Support & Loaded with Att bloatware, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I initially had a love / hate relationship about this phone. The love portion deals with the overall phone appearance (good looking phone); the size (fits in my hands and I can operate with one hand - right or left); the monitor is very clear and has great colors; the phone is well balanced and the overall weight is good. The phone is easy to navigate; Bluetooth feature is good (hey, the paring codes is 0000); the WIFI feature is easy to set-up and the phone does a great job is recognizing a WIFI zone. It shows you the zones and gives you the option to accept. The phone sound quality is good as well as the reception (better than my 4 year old Blackberry). The notification feature is very good. I love the swipe feature for password...very good. Battery life seems to be okay, I can get through a full day without re-charging the battery.

My hates deals with the email feature for Microsoft Outlook (POP3 server) and the much missed information regarding this phone such as:
1) There is NO synch feature with Microsoft Outlook via POP3 (like Blackberry). The USB cable that comes with the phone is used for power (with the electric adaptor) and mass transfer. It's not for synching with Outlook.
2) I have two email accounts on this phone; GMAIL and Outlook. Outlook is my main email (I've had this account for over 15 years). The GMAIL account works perfectly as this is a Google based phone; the phone email and calendar are based on Google. Now I have Outlook working (well to a point). I'm getting my Outlook emails, but the phone deletes the Outlook emails within 2 hours of receiving them (It doesn't delete them from the server). I spoke with the Samsung Tech Rep and he acknowledged this problem and said I was one of the few that got MS Outlook to work to this level.
3) This phone is loaded with ATT bloatware; and you can't delete it. I don't recall this being the case with IPhone (we have 3 in my family).
4) I purchased this phone to watch online video streaming like ESPN3.Com college football. Well, the phone has the capabilities but ATT forces you to use their Mobile Video appl. And this appl turn-off your WIFI connection. Yes, ATT forces you to use their 3G network and it's just doesn't have the muscle and coverage. Oh yeah, you must pay ATT $15 a month to use this appl.

Here what would have helped me before purchasing this phone:
1) MS Outlook works on this phone, but you don't have full features and synch with the PC (You get all of this with IPhone).
2) The phone calendar is based on Google. There is software from Google which synch the Google calendar with your MS Outlook calendar. And it works well.
3) BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE PHONE TO YOUR PC: My sure the phone is fully powered, the change the phone USB feature by: go to the phone setting, then the application, then to USB setting, then change it to mass storage.
4) ATT forces you to use their Mobile Video appl to watch on-line TV/Video; even if you're a Comcast customer who has access to on-line TV and video.
5) Bluetooth pairing code: 0000
6) Loaded with ATT bloatware that you can't delete.
7) As of 10/5/2010, there's NO software download required for this phone
7) Don't call ATT and/or go to their stores if you have any questions regarding this phone. Just call Samsung Tech Support

I've had this phone for a week now; and have had a love / hate relationship. It's more love than hate now since I've found solutions to the calendar and the MS Outlook issue is workable for me. I'm still not pleased with the ATT approach to online video, but I don't have any other options with ATT as my family has three IPhones (wife and kids). I would go with the IPhone 4 but it definitely has dropped call issues. I think the future will be IPhone and Android so I'm planning on keeping this phone...if Apple doesn't fix the IPhone 4 drop calls by the end of the month (just joking)....

UPDATED (10-19-2010). I can't deal with the at&t bloatware (att nav and other) and the phone continues to delete my email from the phone. I had enough and returned the phone for an Iphone 4. At least it works with Microsoft Outlook. I'm given the phone two stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY; BELOW ONE, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
1st phone speaker went out after six months! 2nd a referb crashed & will not reboot lost all data after 8 weeks. Now on third phone, a referb, under warranty with much regret. Has no light for camera. The Samsung program to sync this phone had so many problems I gave up on it. Android 2.2 seems to solve many problems but not all; this phone still needs help. Can only open 4 web browser windows compare to 8 on I phone. Still searching to find app that will save all my applications I load on this phone. I have lost all confidence in this phones reliability. I expect the 3 rd phone to fail; all under one year from purchase! Biggest mistake I made was buying one. The first two phones were kept in an otter box defender case with a skin covering for protection. Even with no abuse the hardware failed. The battery has performed poorly over time; after three months it starts to get weaker at holding charge. & yes under warranty you keep your old battery & receive a referb phone; which someone else has already had trouble with!

2.0 out of 5 stars A complete disappoinment, August 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I thought for sure this was going to be a good phone, but after having it for a year I'd have to say this has been the only phone I've ever purchased that I couldn't wait the full two years to get another one.

First the pros:
1. Vibrant LCD that you can see easily in the daylight
2. Camera takes OK pictures
3. Phone is thin

Now the cons:
1. Battery life SUCKS. Even with nothing running it has to be charged every night.
2. The phone loves to crash. I've gotten two replacements for this phone and all of them freeze up unexpectedly every couple days
3. The phone responsiveness is SLOW. When the phone doesn't freeze entirely, it always ends up pausing on you while you're trying to do something. This apparently stems from the fact that Samsung uses their own proprietary RFS file system to store things on the internal memory. Do a search for "lag fix" and you'll find a ton of people who have wrote custom firmware hacks to change the internal filesystem to EXT4. Doing that fixes the lag and makes the phone usable.
4. No flash for camera
5. The video sucks. Taking HD video results in skips and pauses and jerky video.
6. Poor support by Samsung. It took over a year and a half after Froyo was released for Samsung to release it to this phone. Not Gingerbread has been out for ages and the only people offering it is homebrew developers that write custom firmwares which void your warranty. SUPPORT YOUR PRODUCT SAMSUNG!

I will not be buying a Samsung again.

I should note that I'm an computer programmer and Android developer. I know there are obvious things like killing off background apps that improve battery life and performance.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 different phones, none lasted more than a month, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is great when it's working properly. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen. I exchanged this phone twice, but when the third malfunctioned, I gave up. I had each phone for around a month and they were treated well (no damage, no falls, no water).

Phone #1
This phone arrived damaged, but I didn't realize it. First, the charger didn't stay snugly in the phone (I thought it was a quirk of all the phone). Second, the phone would randomly shut itself off. I did a search online and apparently this is a common Samsung Captivate issue. So I got a replacement from AT&T.

Phone #2
This phone worked about a two weeks then decided to stop connecting to wifi. I got a replacement from AT&T.

Phone $3
This one lasted three weeks. Then a white line appeared across the screen and wouldn't leave. This also seems to be a fairly common Samsung Captivate/Galaxy issue. After this phone, I opted for a different phone entirely.

All in all, I loved this phone during the brief periods of time when it would work properly. But going through 3 of them, all of which lasted less a month, sours a person. There is clearly a quality control issue at Samsung and I will never purchase another Samsun phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper, January 24, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I did a lot of research before making the plunge and going with the captivate. I knew I wanted to go with Android, but didn't know which carrier/phone combo to go with. I spent the better part of a month reading reviews, comparing specs, going to brick and mortars to get a feel for the phones and the interface before I finally went with the captivate. I have not been let down. I knew what to expect when I got the phone and yes I had the problem with the GPS locking on. This was easily fixed with the Samsung GPS Restore available in the Android Market and a quick restart of the phone. GPS has worked great ever since. Battery life wasn't as bad as what I was expecting. I can usually get through a full 10 hour day at work before I need a charge. I do have a spare charger at my desk at work just in case. I had also heard that the Captivate was not syncing well, or at all, with Outlook accounts. Mine works fine. It syncs up with my Outlook email, my contacts, and my calendar with no issues. I've had the phone a week and have had no problems. Everything has worked great and it's FAST!!! I could not be happier with my first android phone. I would gladly recommend this phone to anyone in the market for one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't find a better phone., July 29, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have been waiting for a smart phone to come out that had similar features to an Iphone but was an Iphone. I know it sounds silly but I really didn't want the Iphone brand.

So far with the phone I haven't really had any complaints. I think the only thing I wish was better is the battery life. But that is what you have to deal with when it comes to a smart phone.

The screen is amazing, everything runs smoothly and the features are amazing. I have seen alot of people complain that it automatically syncs up to your google contacts, well I think that is a plus. It has made me update all my google contact info and now I have all my information in a place other than my cell phone (a great thing if you are prone to loosing a phone or if it crashes)

However, you don't have to have the google contacts. There are options to not sync up with your gmail account, or you can have it only display contacts with phone numbers.

Overall it just takes some playing around with to really get the feel of this phone. It does take some hunting. But if you are good at figuring out technology and don't need everything told directly to you this will be a great phone for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars 33% You Will End Up Getting Replacement, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I read all the reviews before I purchased the Samsung Captivate. For me, and I believe many others, it was between this smartphone or the iPhone 4G. Looking back on it, I was a little naive after reading all the reviews. Most people gave it 5 stars and just loved the phone. Then I realized these people hadn't had their phones very long.

I, like them who praised the phone, absolutely adored the phone. The big screen was fantastic, and the 1GHz processor would make any geek happy. The battery life didn't last long, and that was really annoying. However an update that they pushed out fixed it and the battery was no longer a issue.

Then one day, I pull the Samsung Captivate out of my pocket and try to unlock it. Black screen. I hit the power button, nothing. I thought this was odd, because it had 95% battery power and I'd taken it off the charger not a hour earlier. I then began to panic, as I remembered all the 1 star reviews had said 1 of 2 things: 1) This phone constantly shuts off without warning and 2) the phone will not turn on.

I was #2 for me. I had shut these 2 bad things out with the "it won't happen to me" attitude. And bam, 2 months after using the phone without issue, the phone is as dead as a doornail. I google'd all the work arounds, the hard resets, removing the battery, etc. etc. Nothing works. The phone is literally dead. And so is my love for the Samsung Captivate.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 422 | Next ›