5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 522 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisitely built, Intuitive and SMART. I love this phone, September 19, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I LOOOOOOOOVE this phone. It is almost perfect in every way. Hardware design, look and feel; Software (Android is a beast); Apps; Multimedia....and have I mentioned the most gorgeous screen I've ever seen on any display? Period. I'm not just talking phone displays...any display. This display rivals top notch HD TV's (ok that's a little hyperbole but you get my drift...it's awesome!!)

Now as a disclaimer. I read a lot of the reviews here on this phone and so many of them are comparing it to the iPhone 4. Let me just say that I'm not here to bash the iPhone, I'm not an Apple hater, I've never used an Apple product nor am I inclined to. So I don't know how this phone compares to the iPhone 4. And frankly, I don't care. If people keep going around comparing things to Apple it just signifies that Apple is better.

So now that that is out of the way lets go into specifics. Starting from the outside. The phone is exquisitely made. Of all the Galaxy S's I think this looks the best in terms of form factor. Super thin for a smart phone, candy bar design with curved top, 4 touch sensitive buttons at the bottom, and a really nice carbon fiber battery cover. feels light in the hand compared to other phones but not too light. Battery life is what you'd expect from a smartphone: two days with average use, a day on heavy use (video, internet, etc).

Next, the screen. WOW, what can I say except its fabulous. Colors are rich and vibrant, it displays the blackest blacks you've ever seen on a phone (so black you don't know where the screen ends and the black border around the phone begins). Its bright, text looks clear and crisp and its bright. Videos look excellent. The music player is awesome. It has two different looks. A straight music player look and a nice cover flow revolving CD look,with lots of different sound options. The camera is awesome. the only complaint I have with this entire phone is the lack of LED flash. Indoor pics look OK but could look better. Otherwise, outdoor shots and shots indoor with good light are excellent. Lots of different options to choose from. And video capture quality is excellent.

As for apps and software. What can I say but Android. Productivity and entertainment apps abound. Samsung's UI is also very easy to use and intuitive. calender and contacts management is a breeze. Syncing your contacts with their respective facebook and twitter is easy. Samsung specific apps like daily brief and Friends and Updates (puts your Facebook and Twitter updates together) are very useful. And ofcourse you have plenty of Android Market Apps at your disposal. Some I recommend include Vlingo (speak any command and your phone responds), Opera Mini Browser (though the stock browsers is great too), Google Voice, Album Art Grabber (to spruce up your music player), Fx Camera (uses your camera to take cool pics with different effects) and Gmote (one of the best apps ever, accesses the videos, music and presentations on your computer and controls them like a remote)

All in all. This is THE best smart phone out there. Good job Samsung

1.0 out of 5 stars By far the worst phone i've ever owned, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
From Nokia "bricks", to Blackberries, to HTC, i've owned a vast array of phones throughout the past decade. To date, this one has been the worst;It is not the worst for lack of technology-this it does possess. My major gripe with this phone is its reliability.
Whether I am texting, typing in an address, or any other function that utilizes the keyboard, it will sporadically quit or lag on me (this is for the two years I have owned it).
Another major frustration I have with the phone is its ability to lock into a GPS signal. It will take several minutes if ever to get a signal. 95% of the time, it ends up losing signal while I am driving ending with me getting lost repeatedly.
Talk signal is average.
Camera is fine although a flash could have been appreciated.
I would never recommend this phone to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone about a year ago from AT&T with my new plan. Immediately the phone had technical issues, and had to be replaced. The replacement phone did the exact same thing and was also replaced. The third phone has been working great ever since.

I absolutely love the screen for it's clarity and brilliance. The Android system is very easy to use and works with just about any software. I do have some problems connecting it to my PC every now and then, it just doesn't show up.

Battery life is pretty good. If I use it just calling people and texting, the battery will last all day long. I charge it every night. If I use a lot of battery intensive apps on the brightest setting, the battery will last about 4-5 hours (not bad). Sound quality is decent, camera is nice with lots of good settings.

All in all I really like my phone, and I'm more inclined to buy Samsung products in the future. 4 out of 5 stars due to the technical issues with the bad batch of phones.

2.0 out of 5 stars weak antenna; won't vibrate; short battery time, July 18, 2011
djon (Carrollton, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smart phone. I love its potential and I love the swype keyboard, but the phone does not perform as I expected. I cannot update to Froyo 2.2 because I have a Mac, and no access to a PC. Reception is bad in my small rural town. That is partly AT&T, but other phones pick up a signal when the Captivate will not. Battery time is very short! The vibrate function has quit working, and it's out of warranty. When my contract time is up I'm likely to quit AT&T, and will NOT get a Samsung.

1.0 out of 5 stars GPS is broken and AT&T and Samsung don't care, July 14, 2011
Wizzman (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
So much is great with this phone it could have no peer:
1. Screen
2. Memory
3. Apps
4. Service

But they threw it all away with a horribly defective GPS. I have owned six Captivates and they all have the same issue.
other things that could be better

Camera clarity and lack of flash
Battery life is marginal
Laggy response
Flaky Bluetooth stack connecting and disconnecting

Maybe they'll test the devices before the next phone launches.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, But Flawed, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first Android phone, and I really love it! The fact that I got it for a penny (yes, one penny) through Amazon Wireless is just icing on the cake! I haven't had this phone for very long, so my review is based on what I've experienced so far.

Pros:
The big, beautiful screen is wonderful. The colors are so vibrant.
I love being able to enter so much information for my contacts.
The keyboard is great, if not a bit sensitive. However, a stylus helps with that. I'm still trying master the Swype keyboard. It isn't as easy as the videos make it look (big surprise).
Being able to store so much information on the phone is great. I've downloaded lots of music, plus folders, and still have a ton of memory left.
Love the variety of Android apps. I download them when I have access to WiFi, so that I don't use up my limited data plan.
Unlike some reviewers have indicated, the GPS worked fine when I tried it.
I actually don't make very many phone calls, but when I have done so, the caller's voice was very clear.
This phone pairs up with other Bluetooth devices very easily.
The pictures and videos I've taken, look great.

Cons:
I'm not happy that many web sites haven't caught up to the Android, yet. I tried to access numerous free TV sites only to be told that none of them support Android at this time. I hope this is something that will be rectified soon.
After having dealt with Sony-Ericsson support people, I've been very disappointed with Samsung support. Their web site isn't very user-friendly, and they keep apologizing about their lack of information as to when this or that will be available. Also, after a very long chat with a Samsung person, to no avail, I finally got the help I needed from an AT&T tech.

UPDATE!!
I've had this phone for seven months now, and I'm not as crazy about it as I was in the beginning.

I will not be buying another Samsung phone because Samsung support sucks. When they came out with an update that included a Flash Player, I had trouble downloading it, contacted Samsung, and they never answered back. I've been too frustrated to do anything about it, but plan to call AT&T support to see if I can get any help from them.

Ending a phone call on this thing takes forever. Sometimes I have to press "End Call" for a long time before it will end, and I have to watch very carefully to make sure it doesn't stay connected.

Making a phone call isn't that easy, either. It's hard to explain exactly what this phone does, but it sometimes seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to making phone calls. I'm just glad I don't make that many of them, or I would probably have thrown it against a wall by now!

The phone has become very difficult to turn off. I have to hold the side button for a long time, and then I have to press on the "Power Off" button for what seems like forever. It shouldn't be that hard to turn the blasted phone off!

I still like it for surfing the web, and it picks up on WiFi pretty easily so that I don't have to pay AT&T for data usage. However, when my contract is up, I will be choosing another phone, probably from Sony Ericsson or Motorola.

UPDATE II

I finally took my phone to an AT&T repair store, and they agreed that it was "buggy," so they replaced it. The replacement phone, with its upgrade to 2.2, works much, much better, so I'm a bit happier. That being said, I still want a different phone when my upgrade time comes. I've been looking at the HTC, and have added it to my list of phones to consider.

BTW, when I was at the repair store, I overheard one of the reps tell someone that the Pantech phones were the most trouble-free phones. I don't know if they make an Android phone, but if they do, I might look at that brand as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are solutions to ALMOST everything, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
First of all, this phone really gets 4.8 stars, even though I LOVE this phone to death.

***Warning: This review is NOT average. Proceed to next review if you would like to hear the obvious restated over and over again, like the GPS issue, or the freezing issue again***

I'm 17, soon to be high school senior texting lover with all the toys and whistles. Joy. So, while I am not a programming whiz, I do consider myself to be quite tech savvy. I don't need to go on about how great this phone is, I would rather go over the cons and some solutions to some issues. And YES, this phone DID shut down on me randomly. ore on that later.

1. ***Mom would not let me root the phone! How am I supposed to customize my cappy??***
Solution: The Android Marketplace has lots of little goodies in there.. the GO Launcher, GO SMS, and GO Contacts allowed me to customize different aspects of my phone through the various themes you could download for them. My Contacts and Dialpad are now ICE themed. My Launcher [the home screen] is now "cartoon themed" with cute little icons. It really does look good. Really. Thanks to the launcher, I customized the bottom dock [something that you cannot do with the regular launcher]. From the outside, the launcher just allows you to change your icons and allow you to have different shortcuts on the "dock" area [for me, I did not want "email" since I'm not too keen on email]. My messaging, GO SMS, is by far my favorite. I'm using a rilakkuma theme, and I can customize all the colors of the texts, the hyperlinks.. believe me, there are SO many more settings for GO SMS than the regular boring messaging. It also allows you to individualize it, so different people can have different themes with different fonts and text colors.

2. ***No front facing camera!***
Why AT&T?? WHY did you have to remove it? The other samsung galaxy phones have a second camera in the front, but on the cappy, you can't use skype easily because of this lacking camera. *sadface* And how am I supposed to take pictures of myself or of my friends and I? GRRRR. Also, on a side note, the lack of flash doesn't bother me too much. I find that flash usually whites out objects too much anyways. Oh, there is no solution to this. Also, taking self pictures is a pain. Really.

3. ***PHONE HAS SOME MAJOR ISSUES! LIKE RANDOMLY SHUTTING DOWN!***
A. Yes, this phone shut down on me randomly TWICE on me within a week of getting the phone new.
B. Alarm was not working at all! And yes, I really did set it correctly, to the loudest volume, so I know I didn't just sleep through it.
C. TEXTS WON'T VIBRATE WHEN RECEIVED!! The phone made this little "bump" like when you hang up a call. It's not even that strong. So I missed many many texts. Irritating, being a teenager who likes to respond quickly.

Solution: Factory reset the phone. It solved ALL my issues. SERIOUSLY. My phone has never since shut off on me, the alarm works perfectly, and I am now alerted with a LOUD vibration when I receive a text.

4. ***GPS on the Samsung Captivate***
There are two: AT&T Navigator for $10/mo and Google Maps for free. Guess which I use. I had a problem with it once: my phone froze. It has not happened since, and for me, Google Maps has worked flawlessly otherwise. I blame that freeze up on me pressing too much and more or less overloading it. Oops.

5. ***The battery life is REALLY bad [in my opinion]***
I don't know what I was running, but one night, my battery drained from 68% all the way down to 23%. That did not make me happy at all. I turned off syncing to everything, my GPS is almost always off except when I need it, and it is completely in standby. Whatever the case, I downloaded Advanced Task Killer and JuiceDefender to help me save my poor battery. I discovered through Task Manager that even after closing say, Google Maps or Angry Birds, the program is still running in the background. Thanks to the handy little ATK app, these will automatically be closed upon me hitting the lock button on my phone. Now, on standby, my phone loses 4-5% per 8-9 hours [when I'm sleeping].

6. ***The feeling of the checkered battery cover door***
This is just personal preference, but the whole phone is sleek and smooth, while the battery door has more of a matte, not so smooth finish. Solution: Get a decal sticker. It keeps dirt off. And then I topped it off with a clear case, so the dirt gets on the decal. Besides, decal stickers come in so many designs, AND you can custom it on skinit.com

So besides the above..

Loves: swype, the sliding usb port door [open ALL the way], speedy processor!!, live wallpapers, the fact that I can create empty screens with no icons to just enjoy my live wall paper, very sensitive touch activated quick keys, sensitive screen, super bright screen even at lowest setting

The list goes on and on, but this review is getting very lengthy. Thank you with your patience with me(:

1.0 out of 5 stars Paperweight, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have never regretted a phone so much until I bought this one.
This phone is practically a paperweight.

Two weeks in my sim card died for no reason. Then, the charger stopped working while my grandmother was in the hospital dying.

Any application I install on this phone constantly force closes for no reason. Facebook, google maps, twitter, mail... They either force close or the whole screen goes dark and the phone stops working until I take the battery out.

The GPS doesn't work, period. Anything that requires it to know your position fails. It takes forever to figure out where you are. Most of the time it never does.

I can't even use it's PRIMARY FUNCTION, making phone calls, without waiting for the thing to unfreeze. It stills for over a minute frozen and then half the time won't make the call.

It has been like this since I got it. I've put barely anything on it. I've tried everything to get it to work properly. The system is honestly just bad. It looks nice to people who pass by but stay away. Seriously.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the update, February 19, 2011
Raymond Kui (USAF ACADEMY, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've owned the phone since it was released and have been severely disappointed by the lack of an OS update to Froyo. Especially now that Gingerbread is out. So SAMSUNG, why can't we get an OS upgrade? I was told by AT&T that an update would be coming shortly for Froyo and bought the phone in good faith based on that information, but it wasn't true in the slightest. Now with Gingerbread coming out and no update in sight, all I can say is I will never buy another product from SAMSUNG again due to the lack of support.

2.0 out of 5 stars Honestly...just get an iphone, February 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I had an iphone 3g and didn't like having to go through itunes for everything. I wanted to be on the open platform...so I switched to Android. Well..there are some good things about this phone. Namely that you're seamlessly linked into Google services. However, after having this phone for a few months now, I have to say that I miss my iphone. The reason for this is that the keys on this phone are sticky..something that surprised me given that this is supposedly the fastest processor (hummingbird) that you can buy right now and on the quadrant score, it was off the charts. Secondly, the gps is rarely accurate and kindof slow. I am in Manhattan a lot of the time and used to rely on my iphone's gps functionality quite a bit. No more with this phone...so I miss that. Third, when I'm typing into it, the interface just isn't as accurate. I used to be able to type into the iphone really fast and then when I looked up at what came out, it was almost always accurate. On this phone, not so. I always have to go back and change word spellings and stuff. I've tried all sorts of input methods and nothing has worked quite as well as my trusty old iphone did. Fourth, the camera is good but clunky. its slow to load up and take a picture and I really have to focus on the thing and make sure I"m pushing the right buttons and orienting it the right way. With the iphone, it was dead easy. I just pulled it out of my pocket, went to the camera, and snapped away in no time. On the upside, I do like the widgets. The iphone never gave me the ability to have a page with useful widgets like weather, mint.com, and the news. This is a great feature that I really like about it. There are some minor annoyances here and there that have kindof added up and over a few months of having it, have begun to frustrate me. I get a lot of texts and with the iphone, I could see the text on the screen without having to open the phone or do anything except look at it. WIth this phone, it tells me that I got a text and I don't know from whom or what it was. I have to move this silly puzzle piece to open the phone and then it loads up the conversation. This kind of thing sounds like such a minor issue but I have to tell you that over a few months, it has really made me start missing my iphone. Unfortunately, I'm not up for renewal with AT&T for another 2 years so I'm going to have to hope that they change a lot of things about the software on this phone in the meantime, but that has yet to happen. I just miss the overall ease of use and simplicity of my iphone...and while I enjoy some of the high tech features on this thing, I'd rather have a simple, easy to use device that seamlessly integrates into my fast-paced lifestyle.

Here's a list of my issues with the phone:
- sticky keys when typing
- doesn't recognize words correctly (often but not always)
- clunky interface; lags a lot, even with Ryanza's lagfix
- GPS rarely works; even with the GPS update
- camera is poorly designed and clunky
- texts are sometimes not sent..I have to "resend" often. There is no auto-resend on failure like the iphone
- the background screen always scrolls when I move from one screen to the next but I wish there was an option to hold it still
- the touch interface (touchwiz I think) is just plain clunky in comparison to the iphone
- After having an iphone 3g for 2 years and this for 4 months, I can honestly say that this feels just plain clunky clunky clunky. However, towards the end of its life, my iphone had a lot of the clunky issues too (sticky keys, etc.) but something about it was just ...don't quite know how to put my finger on it...but it just felt better somehow.

Things I like about it:
- Jailbreak and tether or turn it into a hotspot (yay)
- voice entry is pretty awesome. I can speak into it and its usually accurate.
- The ability to have a widgets page
- Can change the battery and add a microsd card (but I haven't figured out how to expand my music capacity yet even though I put a 8GB card into the thing)
- open platform is the future (once they work through all these human interface kinks).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 522 | Next ›