5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 14 5 622 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Has issues..., November 8, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for about a week now and I am having to send it in for an exchange. The phone has awesome features, but like many other people, I am experiencing problems with the phone shutting itself off. Any time the phone goes into sleep mode, it automatically powers itself off. I have downloaded an app that helps keep the phone on, but I believe it also wears on the battery, because I can only go for about a day before having to recharge...even with minimal use.

All of this being said, I am exchanging for the same model, because I have friends that are not experiencing these issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars The VERY BEST cell phone so far for those who want it all!, December 22, 2010
R. Goldhammer (Bakersfield, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I just don't get it, I have had this Samsung Captivate phone now for at least 3-4 months and I play around a lot with it everyday.

So far it has never shut off by itself whether its charging or not charging.

Also after seeing these few comments from others about GPS not working I made a test.

I installed Google Maps along with a couple of other name brand GPS apps and again I must say that not only the GPS apps which come with the phone but the two others I installed ALL works just fine. GPS almost instantly detects/finds my exact location and all these tests where made inside my house with the phone on my computer desk.

As far as the battery being weak I also must say that at least for me after a full charge if I turn off wifi and gps and only use it as a normal phone, no game play and so on the battery lasts at least 4 days for me.
Also I must have installed 30 or more apps and games already and I have not had any problem connecting the usb cable to computer and transfering songs, videos and pictures.

I have both Windows 7 and Windows XP and when I first got the phone and plugged it into the computers I did not even need any drivers installed at all. Both computers reconized the samsung captivate phone right away.
After reading the handfuls of people complaing about these problems at first I was afraid to buy the phone but I am sure glad I did!
Don't want to write a book here about how excellent the phone works and what all it can do so if you want to read more details about the phone before buying it then just read all the 5 star reviews here on amazon....... I have a hunch that at least half the people who are writing reviews complaining about random shutdown, gps and battery life must work for some other cell phone company and are paid to write these bad reviews.

I am certain that there are a few people who actually do have problems and I am sure that AT&T is either doing refunds or replacments as needed. The phone is super excellent!
P.S. Just remember that AT&T sells and sold thousands of these phones but way less than even 1% of those who purchased it leave reviews here on Amazon or any other place on the internet.
If there really were a lot of people having the shutoff/restart, GPS and other problems
then AT&T and Samsung would have had a massive recall on these phones a long time ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars iPhone 4 Killer, July 22, 2010
Bakbone (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Picked it up Monday. Most impressive. Very responsive and has a slick design. Very pocket-able.

Let me tell you about my experience at the ATT store. This proves so well the love relation between Apple and ATT.

I went to check out the phone in store before I bought it and guess what. The display Captivate was not working. They stuck it in a corner turned off with a broken power plug; it was like on purpose. While the Apple stand was bright and shiny, with 3 impeccable phones and a big iPhone logo under a colorful projector.

REALLY !!! Really ATT, this is how you sell phones on the first week of release? I'm SO glad I got rid of my 3G. I was sick entire of the ATT-Apple shenanigans.

My impressions about the Captivate... 5 stars. But I'll still start with the cons (I'm a critic by nature)

Cons:
- no flash on back camera
- the plastic on the back ( not the metal cover) feels too cheap. I would prefer a matte plastic.
- they removed essential apps for me like FM Radio. And they put the ATT bloatware
- touch buttons are hard to spot in the dark. I got to get used.
- GPS takes a long time to lock. This is a fixable software issue.

Pros:
- Gorgeous screen - AMAZING !!!
- Fast and responsive
- Awesome design ( i just love that metal battery cover)
- Replacement battery (costs like 30 $)
- Android is generation ahead of iOS. You gotta try this.
- Open Android Market.
- Over the Air backup and OS Updates (hopefully ATT won't screw this).

UPDATE
OK. I'm gonna drop the rating to 4 stars until ATT/Samsung decides to fix the GPS lock issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Android smartphone for AT&T customers, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Was in the market for a new smartphone and stumbled upon this little beauty on CNET just one day before it was released. I had one year left on my AT&T contract and after seriously considering the Motorola Droid X on Verizon I ended up buying the Captivate instead (paying full retail price), and I honestly couldn't be happier with my decision. I'll try to condense this as much as possible since I have so much to praise about this phone so I'll start by listing some of its shortcomings.

First of all, this phone has a lot of design flaws that could have easily been corrected but instead needlessly hamper the user experience. This is a very common and frustrating trend in consumer electronics and is also the same reason why companies like Apple have been so successful since they know how to keep their products simple and useable. Things like having the headphone jack on the top of the phone (incredibly annoying when you're listening to music and have to flip the phone around every time you pull it out of your pocket) or, conversely, placing the power/lock key on the side of the phone when every other phone on the planet either has it at the top or on the front. The worst offenders by far, however, are the four touch-sensitive shortcut keys that Samsung insists on using for all their products. Why on earth would you use touch keys over physical keys when physical keys are more visible, more tactile, more responsive, and arguably look better too (touch keys in my opinion look tacky and uncomfortable to use). I can't tell you how much time I spend fumbling for the back and home keys either because the backlight only feels like staying on for .6 seconds, or because they don't always respond the first ten times I tap them. Touch keys are stupid and I hope manufacturers stop using them unless they provide some specific benefit or need. Lastly, the camera is pretty mediocre (my 2-year-old Sony Ericsson k850i crushes this in terms of picture quality) and the screen is also just the slightest bit lacking in the resolution department.

Having said all that, this phone does many, many things incredibly well. The super AMOLED screen has a real wow factor that's particularly evident once you fire up some videos or start browsing the web. Browsing itself is a joy thanks to the roomy four-inch screen and screaming fast Hummingbird processor that makes everything just fly. The Samsung TouchWiz interface is very solid I have no complaints and the Swype text-input feature that comes preloaded is amazingly fast and accurate. I'm very surprised it doesn't get more attention given how intuitive it is. And Android, what can I say, it's completely blown away all my expectations. The level of customization is unreal and makes the iPhone OS look like Windows 7 Starter.

All in all, I'm in love with this phone even with all it's design quirks. It's nice that AT&T finally gets not just a worthy Android phone but a supremely capable one at that. If you're interested in a new smartphone and aren't totally enamored by Apple, I encourage you to take a long, hard look at the Samsung Captivate. It truly is a sight to behold.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this phone, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've been a HUGE iphone fan for the past two years, but have seen the android light!! If it wasn't for the antenna and face recognition issues with the iphone 4 I probably would've bought it since it was time to upgrade. I loved my iphone 3G but after seeing the 4, it made me realize that apple was definitely into making money rather than satisfying their customers so I started to venture elsewhere. I had been following the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones and after seeing all the reviews for the Captivate before and after it was released I was sold.

This phone is simply incredible. Like personalization? You got it! Everything and anything on this phone can be personalized for your pleasure. I was kinda under the impression that Android phones were for geeked out PC users, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

My ONLY complaint for this phone is the music player. I'm probably just still way used to how it worked on the iphone, but as of now I've got a few issues with how music is played on the Captivate. For one, you can't play tracks without gaps (seamlessly), the way you search for music to play is a little different, but if not for these qualms I wouldn't have anything negative to say for this phone. It's fast, it's light, the screen is incredible and the android market is stacked with apps.

Again, I was a HUGE fan of all apple products but I finally realized that every new version of the iPhone is nothing but updates to the software. Put the phone in a case (which I always do) and you can't even realize which version you have because that's the only way to personalize them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Altogether happy; much more than I expected to be, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
For me, cell phones have always been an annoyance. Something I needed, but tried to use as little as possible. I absolutely hate talking to someone who isn't right there, and why anyone would endure the annoyance of texting has always baffled me. The only positive was that it saved me from having to wear a watch.

For the past year or two I've watched with annoyance as one after another of my friends and co-workers have bought an iPhone or other smartphone. I never wanted one, b/c I didn't want the added monthly expense, the added bulk, and the even more annoying and distracting features. But my old cell phone was starting to wear out, and I had to get something.

The one crack in my steely resolve not to become a smartphone owner was the fact that I'm a linux and open-source geek. I love it when a free, cooperative, global, merit-ocratic effort kicks the behind of a corporate behemoth. Apple is rapidly losing ground to Android, and Microsoft never had a chance. Anyway, the thought of having a linux root prompt on my cell phone was too much to pass up. For $30, it was worth a shot. But which Android phone to get ?

One issue I struggled with was whether to go for a large screen like the Captivate or a smaller (more pocket friendly) model.

A : You want the big screen. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I also wondered if I really needed a gigahertz CPU.

A : Yes, you want a fast CPU. Trust me. Everything should just happen "now". With the Captivate it does.

When shopping, I was waffling on those issues. Now that I've had the Captivate, I can't imagine how I could have even considered anything else.

Hardware-wise, I must say that in person, the screen is absolutely beautiful. I picked a gorgeous photo for my desktop and I'm still struck by the richness and detail. Originally, I considered carrying the phone in my pocket. No way ! I have a secure, belt-mounted case for it.

The overall quality of the device is pretty high, and although it really is gorgeous, I have mine protected in a (sticky, lint-covered) silicone skin for safety.

Back to my hatred of cell phones.... One thing I always despised about my old phone was all the garbage that ATT stuck on it : "Hey, how'd you like to give us even more of your money ? Pick a button, any button..." The thing that sealed the deal on the Captivate (Android, in general) was the ability to root the phone and get rid of all that garbage. Maybe it's not for everyone, but for someone reasonably comfortable with reading (and following) directions, there are many options for modifying or replacing the software on the the phone. I picked a "ROM" called Cognition 3.04. A few minor issues at first, but now it's all good. No stupid bootup sounds, shutdown sounds, cheesy animations, or un-removable greed-ware from ATT. Plus, if I want, I can plug the phone into my laptop and share the 3G link ("tethering") without having to pay the absurd extra charges that ATT tries to slap you with.

Regarding ATT : No I don't hate them. I get fantastic reception, good service, and never had any unpleasant dealings with them. The reception (in my area) is _so_ much better that I would never consider changing carriers. My only gripe (as subtly hinted at above) is that I'm a cheapskate, and really resent it when somebody continuously tries to gouge me for real or imaginary "services" I don't want.

For the Captivate (with tethering in mind) I decided to go with the 2 gigabyte monthly data plan. Another choice I am now very happy with. Turns out I haven't bothered with the tethering yet, but I'm so hooked on apps and mobile web surfing that I'm easily going over the 200 Mbyte level. At work, and seemingly everywhere I go around town, there is free wifi. So my only 3G usage is at home. Video is a little tedious on 3G, but web surfing and downloading apps are pretty smooth and reliable. And I'm finding that many of the apps that I like and use require some (but not a lot) of connectivity. With 2 gigs per month, I can just go ahead and use them without having to keep one eye on the meter.

As suggested, I have "come around" and decided that having a smartphone is in fact a good thing. The apps available are sufficiently powerful and useful to actually be worthwhile. If you are on the fence, I'd encourage you to take the plunge. Using a smartphone (as it turns out) can be both fun and satisfying. Even if you hate to talk.....

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want GPS don't get Samsung, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have a Samsung Captivate - gps works very poorly. Have been through 4 warranty exchanges with AT&T. They will only offer a downgrade to an obsolete, less capable phone.
Seems like all Samsung Galaxy S models have the same problem, and they are silent on the problem, and AT&T is mostly denying it.
(Google "samsung gps" before you buy.)
(BTW: The Android 2.2 upgrade and other "fixes" do not fix this problem.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice on paper not in real life., October 11, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
On paper this phone seemed great! But after buying it and testing it for a few days I can tell this phone seems rushed to market.
The GPS doesn't work on it for me. It can never determine where I am. Also my cell signal is constantly 0-1 bars at Home or Work. And this morning I woke up and my phone would not turn itself on. It was plugged in all night.
I am not sure what is wrong with it. It did do one system update since I have had the phone. But I guess it is not enough. I am returning this phone. Maybe next year they will have all the bugs worked out.

Side note: I hated all the "spam-ware" ATT loaded on the phone. They installed 6+ ATT apps on there. And some of them want to bill your cell number for services. And they do not provide a way to remove them. Not cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone With Problems That Can Be Overlooked... For Now, September 11, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was extremely excited to purchase the Captivate because it is a wonderful phone, running a wonderful operating system (Android 2.1), and has an incredible screen. When I bought it from Amazon, I tried it out for a few days and loved it so much that I bought one for my wife.

Android 2.1 (Eclair) is great, but the only reason I bought this phone was because of the promise of the upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo). Not only is 2.2 faster, but it integrates Bluetooth voice dialing, which I desperately need in my car to keep my hands on the wheel. I am thinking of Rooting the phone because I want to get rid of the AT&T bloatware (none of which I will be using) and I want to be able to use some incredible apps that are only available for rooted phones (Titanium Backup for one). The Captivate handles everything very well. The movement of the programs and the transistions is very fast. If you are seeing any studdering in the transitions or program loading, I would recommend changing the display Animations in the settings to Some instead of All.

The capactive buttons at the bottom are a little bit of a hassle. I would have preferred real buttons. I hit search button all of the time when I meant to hit the back. The back button and the search button should be reversed because I will use the back button 10 times more.

The phone is actually too thin. I knew after the first day that I would have to get a case for this phone to effectively hold it while I am using it. I bought the Body Glove case (the one without a stand) and I recommend it. It fits very snug and adds very little thickness to the phone while make it fit more securely in my hands.

The battery life is good and it could be better, but I know for a fact it is better than most smart phones. I ordered a car charger and I am planning on getting an extra wall charger for work so battery life will be something I never need to worry about.

So, the bad news... The GPS on both my phone and my wife's phone does not work at all. I knew this could happen before I bought them, but I still bought them because of Samsung's promise to fix the issue. Some people have problems with the GPS taking too long to get a signal, our's doesn't get a signal after more than 15 minutes. This has to get fixed! Samsung, you promised a fix, DON"T SIT ON YOR THUMBS ON THIS ONE! I can send mine back for a replacement, but it seems at least half of the phones have this problem, so a fix is all that will take care of it.

So, all in all a great phone. Once the GPS fix is out and Froyo is available, I will consider this phone to be as great as I expected. I know the missing flash for the camera is a bad thing, but I bought it knowing it didn't have one. I am already enjoying this phone and I will be enjoying it for the next two years.

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone is just what I was waiting for, September 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I'll keep this review short and sweet, as there are a lot of other reviews with the pros and cons. I had Verizon's Droid Eris before this and the phone had only a 524mhz processor and to my surprise the Verizon network sucks where I live. The phone was slow, typing on the virtual keypad was horrible as it would lag and stutter, and everything about the phone was slow. This phone with a 1000mhz processor is super fast, I don't have to worry about killing apps, and the keyboard is fantastic!! Absolutely no lag and the screen is just gorgeous. Call quality has been great and I get great service where I am in AT&T.

I wanted to get the Epic for Sprint because of the physical keyboard, but after using the captivate I really don't need the physical keypad. This thing JUST WORKS.

(9/14/10)Edit: The GPS is broken currently, but it is a software issue so it is apparently being fixed. Also, when I received the phone I had problems with it randomly turning itself off. I returned the phone to Amazon and got a new one. So far, no problems with the new phone. I did a lot of research on this issue and it appears to be a bad batch of Captivates and not a software issue or an app issue.

‹ Previous | 14 5 622 | Next ›