5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 15 6 722 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best phone I found after an extensive search to replace my IPhone 3g, August 21, 2010
B. Burgdorf (Evansville, IN, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Absolutly the best phone I found out there on the market. I am an x-IPhone 3G owner, was gonna go with the IP4, however, with all the problems to be worked out of it I actually decided to "look around" That was a hard decision for a true apple fan like myself, but to be honest i was getting a little sick of the "closed" world forced on apple users. Well I can tell you the captivate is an excellent phone. I have read some of the reviews that had problems with the GPS locking in, troubles with the media player, and compatability issues. I have had none of these problems. From out of the box this phone has performed as expected/advertised. The feel is supurb in the hand. It works great for my needs and I am more than satisfied with it. I find myself not missing the IPhone as I thought I would. Actually, its nice to download an audiobook right from Windows media player directly to my phone. I can drop movies directly verses going through Itunes...yea, I won't miss that too much. You can feel perfectly at ease with buying this phone. I believe it will exceed all your needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Android offering for ATT users, July 22, 2010
Kush (Bay area CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Got this on the 20th so I've had a few days to play with it. Overall I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it, more than I expected to be. The screen is really, really nice. Words don't really do it justice. Phone looks better up close than it does in pics.

Pros:
-Great screen.
-Fast. No slowdown or system lag of any kind at this point
-Great call quality. Everyone I've called has noticed the difference. According to their PR, the calls are digitally filtered by the phone to reduce background noise etc, and it seems to work.
-Camera works well/makes pretty pictures. Tried making some videos, they turned out well.
-Speakers are good. Speakerphone and otherwise
-Very light and slim. Fits in the pocket almost unnoticeable.
-Battery use better than expected, maybe the best of any smartphone I've used. Not bad considering it's rocking a 1ghz processor.

Cons:
-Proprietary USB adapter kind of sucks. While plugged in, you basically can't do anything with the phone or it falls out/stops charging. So long trips with it plugged in to use as a wannabe kindle probably won't end well.
-No camera flash
-No front facing camera
-ATT bloatware. Their stuff is so bad...
-While not as bad as the att shitware, the Samsung apps aren't exactly useful for the most part.
-Notification LED doesn't work? I've heard this before from others, is it just disabled or what?

Overall, I think I'd rather have an Evo. But it's a close call, and if you want to be with ATT this is their best droid offering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the beautiful screen fool you, May 20, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
With the Captivate's specs and amazingly gorgeous screen, it has a lot of potential, but unfortunately with poor quality control it doesn't live up to that potential.

I got my first Captivate in September. It dropped most calls after a period of about 30-90 seconds, and four out of five outgoing calls I attempted would not connect. So after a week, I took it back.

The second one had a bad radio or bad antennas, so most places where I should have been getting full signal, I got no signal at all. So on the very last day of my 30 day return period, I took it back.

The third one connects calls, but is incredibly slow and unstable compared to the first two. Apps crash for no apparent reason, and occasionally when I restart the phone it takes two or three tries to get everything to load correctly. (A couple of times I restarted and even after a few minutes had no apps in the apps menu.) Before the Froyo update (which came ten months after Google released it), I even had trouble with the software processes that manage the phone part of the phone crashing. The Froyo update fixed a lot of the random FCs, but not all; now it just hangs at random times. Over the course of the last couple of months, I've begun having trouble with the proximity sensor not working. The screen comes on while I'm in the middle of a phone call, which results in buttons on the screen being pressed by my face (usually mute, but sometimes it's the keypad and even End.)

I have had some problems with Ford Sync in my car (sometimes I have to restart the phone to force it to connect, and a lot of times it will keep playing music after I have turned the car off - especially when I'm listening to the radio and not bluetooth audio), but when it actually connects it works fine - I'm able to make and receive calls through Sync, and bluetooth streaming works with the steering wheel controls. (From reading on the Sync message boards, this is not always the case with all Sync users.)

On top of the major quality flaws, there are also some minor annoyances. I was surprised to find that some settings were different, and in different places, among the three individual phones I had, and in true Linux fashion, sometimes it takes a an hour or two of research to figure out how to change settings that should be straightforward and one or two taps from the homescreen. After the Froyo update, the screen no longer stays on and unlocked when the phone is plugged in, which is annoying when using the phone as a media player, and dangerous when using it as a GPS unit, because rather than being able to glance at the map quickly and back at the road, you have to actually turn the phone back on and unlock the screen. (The Widgetsoid app has a way to disable this, but it has to be done every time the phone is rebooted.) The music player app works really well for playing music, but there is no good iTunes-like way to synch music between the phone and a computer, so it has to be done manually through folders.

All that said, the calls (on one that is actually able to make calls) are just fine. The reception is good - on par with the iPhone 3G and Blackberry Bold 9700 I had before - and I can generally understand what people are saying. The camera is at least as good as my point-and-shoot, and the video quality is nice too (though not as nice as the iPhone 4's). And it has the absolute most beautiful screen I have ever seen in my life. Several of my friends and coworkers have Droid Xs, and their grainy, washed-out screens look just plain old in comparison, and compared to the Captivate's Super AMOLED, even the iPhone 4's "Retina" display looks a little bit sad. The brightness and clarity of the screen make it look about like the faked, pixel-less sci-fi displays, and earns this piece of you-know-what its second star.

Features: **** (4 stars out of 5)
Reliability: * (1 begrudgingly-awarded star out of 5)
Quality: (0 stars out of 5)
Screen: ************ (12 stars out of 5)

EDIT 7/3/11: The phone randomly buzzed a few times last night as I was going to sleep, and when I woke up the screen was what would pass for black on another phone (but is more like a dark gray on the AMOLED.) I had to remove the battery to get it to come back on.

It seems to be coming up with new annoying tricks every day...

8/27/11: It's gotten to the point where I treat it like an old Windows 95 computer, and just reboot it every day. Today it froze while shutting down.

8/28/11: The calendar seems to be having trouble syncing with my Exchange calendar at school. Some of my classes (which I've put in as repeating appointments) show up multiple times, some don't show up at all, and some show up multiple times only on the first day. A lot of good it does to have a smartphone that's supposed to sync with Exchange when it doesn't actually do so.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not connect to PC for USB transfer, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone will not connect to a Windows 7 64 bit pc for Kies update, USB mass storage, or media player. Therefore it's pretty useless to me, unfortunately I'm stuck with it. I'd love to be posting a solution to this problem here for others to google, but I've been at it for a couple of months now to no avail and have given up.

I suppose it is ok as a phone, but will look elsewhere for an Android development platform.

USB Device Not Recognized
Unknown Device
Samsung Captivate

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good iPhone alternative, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for over 7 months now and I really like it. I used to have an iPhone and I prefer the customization that Android allows you. I do miss how polished the iOS software was. The iPhone generally just works and is easy to configure. Android apps occasionally crash like software on a computer might. My email crashes from time to time and Facebook crashes sometimes when I turn the phone on, but works after that. The phone is incredibly thin and light but solid feeling. The screen looks awesome and is very responsive to touch. The battery is also better than other Android devices compared with friends' phones. Bloatware from AT&T is not too bad. Sync with Google and Facebook is great, sync with MS Exchange is not great, but works.

No complaints about the user interface, however I am disappointed that Captivate has still not been upgraded to Android 2.2, which they said was supposed to be released in late September 2010, then end of the year, then beginning of 2011, and it still isn't here. My one other complaint is the GPS, which is practically unusable. They have known about this since it was released, released a patch that did not work, and still have not fixed it. I have read that it depends on the individual device how well the GPS works, but I have a feeling that anyone who thinks it works is really seeing their location through cell phone triangulation, which works ok. I now don't bother to try using the GPS.

If not for no upgrade to 2.2 and the problem with GPS I would give this phone 5 stars, but until those problems are resolved it stays at 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now with FROYO, March 10, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Yes, the official version of android 2.2 was released in February 2011. Late, yes, but available through Samsung mini keyes (a download on the samsung web page). Android 2.2 is FAR better than 2.1. Not counting the little things, 2.2 is at least twice as fast and far more stable.
And don't forget that FROYO has flashplayer.

Also noteworthy:
The Samsung galaxy S series (including the captivate) uses a hummingbird processor that is faster than the snapdragon (of the same generation).

Now to the review. I ordered two of these from Amazon. I was originally hesitant, as opposed to ordering directly from ATT. But, beyond the 30 day warranty each offers, all you can do is rely on the manufacturer. Amazon delivered promptly. Out of the two phones, mine has had no problems, while my wife's was glitchy and sometimes powered off by itself. Research online suggested no fix. We contacted Amazon, which sent a replacement before requiring the original to be sent back first--- far better service than I ever recieved from ATT online. The second phone started to glitch as well, but by this time android 2.2 was officially released.

After installing 2.2, the phone has become stable. I'm still watching it for any glitches, but it's been over a week without problems.

So, for the verdict? Ther are only three top of the line choices for android on ATT. If you want to pay $60-100 for the Inspire, vs the 1cent for the captivate, go ahead. The captivate comes with more internal storage, and a faster processor. Reviews suggest better phone call quality as well.The Inspire has slightly more RAM and a larger screen.

The captivate can do anything android can do with the best of them. Far more customization than IPhone and windows phone 7. I wouldn't trade a free captivate for a $300 iPhone 4 anyday.

Amazon offers great service and unbelievable prices. I have to say I've been impressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful features but GPS stinks, March 3, 2011
Mark Ritchie (Wylie, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this from Amazon at the new year 2011, but I waited for the Android 2.2 upgrade to see if the GPS was fixed. Now that the 2.2 is released and installed, I can certainly agree with everyone that the features are wonderful. The screen is beautiful and the performance is great.

But 2.2 was supposed to finally fix the GPS, and it just simply hasn't. The reality seems to be that Samsung Galaxy S GPS's are just not very good.

This is a major feature of modern phones, so I think three stars is about the maximum this phone deserves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Update to Android 2.2 announced, but no follow up, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
AT&T/Samsung announced Android 2.2 right from the release of the phone. Now that Samsung has released Android 2.2 for the Galaxy S, you would expect, that the Captivate is not far behind. Far from true. Neither AT&T, nor Samsung is issuing a statement on what is happening with the Android 2.2 release. BTW. AT&T Captivate's twin, the Rogers Captivate already includes Android 2.2 ([...]%282%29.pdf). I assume, that Android 2.3 would run on the Captivate as well, but I guess I have to give up hopes ever to receive an Android 2.3 update.

The major drawback for not having Android 2.2 is, that applications like e.g Skype require Android 2.2 to function and that GPS is supposed to work better with Android 2.2.

I am very disappointed with AT&T as well as Samsung.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad GPS, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The phone is very nice but...the GPS is useless. Worse than useless in that it will waste a lot of your time trying to get it to work. Even the "updates" from Samsung do nothing to help.

Also the phone likes to flash and beep when done charging which is a great pleasure when trying to sleep. Why does it need to order you to unplug it from the charger? Everybody charges while sleeping.

Cry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone. But GPS is broken and ATT sucks, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have a captivate on AT&Ts network. I've tried all the gps fixes posted on xda but none of them make it work like my old blackberry 9000 did. AT&T just has edge where I live, and it doesn't even work usually. So this phone is essentially a 4 inch wifi-only tablet for me.

I have since ordered a droid 2 global. VZW does have 3g here and I've not heard of any issues with the droid 2's gps.

I should have known not to get another samsung phone.

‹ Previous | 15 6 722 | Next ›