5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At&t's best Android phone!!!, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My last phone was a Iphone 3g. It did have great features but became too boring. The Captivate lets you customize it with great live wall paper and widgets. The hardware is up to date. Premium look and feel, very light. Android market not as large as Apples.. But it seems to me that Android Market has better content.
Pros:
1ghz cpu, a great gpu for gaming and media, 720p hd camera, 5mp camera, Super Amoled touchscreen..very beautiful! plus many other extras. I like how the wallpaper moves in the backround. A Media Powerhouse! Battery is actually decent..not a power hog.
Cons:
Not much to complain about...No flash led for taking pictures at night, Facebook is a little better on Iphone hopefully Android will get an update soon. Supposedly a Froyo Android 2.2 update mid December. Anyways it's an awesome price for At&t's Best Android phone. I'm a new fan of Android and very happy with this purchase.
Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features. Only decent as phone., October 20, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I just upgraded from an old LG Shine. This is my first smart phone and first touch screen. The features and customization are great. As with any carrier branded phone, there are a lot of apps that you can't remove. But with so many personalized home screens, you never have to see them.

Camera is ok. Takes beautiful photos and video in good light. Dim light is almost useless. A flash is greatly missed. Apps and websites load quick. The 1GHz cpu is very noticeable if you compare to less powerful phones.

Texting takes some getting used to. Feels cramped even in landscape mode. Swype works good, I'm getting quicker with it after only 2 days. Swype is optional if you don't like it.

I find myself hitting the power/standby button a lot while grabbing the phone. Not major, but annoying.

The call quality is decent. Clear, but not very loud. I work in a loud environment (live music) and can't hear the phone ring. Calls are hard to hear with background noise. If you arent normally in a really loud area, it's fine.

Battery isnt terrible. I used it for 13 hours today and used 1/4 of the battery. That was web browsing, texting, and making about 10 phonecalls. Playing games, streaming music, and watching youtube will always drain your battery...no matter what phone you use.

Overall, the phone is excellent. No phone is perfect, but for my needs...I'm happy with my purchase. I text more than call and use the web a lot. This review typed on the phone after 2 days of use. Will update my review after a week, when the "cool new toy" excitement wears off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Andriod phone, its a keeper, October 10, 2010
my first andriod phone was the HTC ARIA I got on amazon, it was good the first week then I started having issues, like locking up texting, had to push hard on the screen, swiping wasn't as smooth and senstive as new. Amazon let me send it back and exchanged for Capitvate. I really like this phone, why? compared to the Aria here are the pro's...
call quailty is better, I can hear the callers better, speaker phone is louder, its still pocketable, screen size is perfect, tad faster (1000mhz verse 600mhz), texting is easier due to larger keyboard, so I make less mistakes, love the address book, can add alot of info on each contact, 16gb of space AND you can add a transflash card. Screen is clear and bright, record video at 720HD, does well taking photos even with out flash, but I didn't buy it for that as I have Canon EOS. I installed an app killer, so when I boot it, I kill back ground apps, then stop services I don't need and after 3 charges I'm easly getting 2 days of use, once 3, all depends on WIFI, internet use and bluetooth. Like everyone else you turn down the screen brightness which helps and its still bright at the lowest setting. Pairs up fast and easy to my moto bluetooths. I have had the phone since 9.22, still getting used to all the features but after 18 days I am really happy with this phone and doesn't look like I'm giving it up. I would say if your on the fence about getting a smartphone and have ATT, I would say check this one out, the IPhone4 or HTC Aria. Iceing on the cake was I paid $60 for this phone and although the HTC Aria was 1 cent, I am whey happier with this phone and was well worth the upgrade cost. For Neg's, I would say the speaker phone could be a tad louder, flash for night time shots would be great and wish I could get a solid 3 days of use, otherwise I keep a charger in the car just incase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Design and Features--Very Buggy Performance and Poor Quality Control, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I originally wrote a rave review of this gadget; after a year of using it during my 1 1/4 hour daily subway commute, I have changed my feelings. I am on my second copy, as the first one died about 6 months ago. I'm going to have to get another replacement soon--the one I have is on its last legs. Here are some good points and bad points:

Good:
-Perfect size, at least for me--fingers can accurately hit keys/icons and also easily reach across screen.
-Excellent screen--looks great, very responsive.
-Very good for typing documents with a decent app like Quickoffice.
-Camera works extremely well--much better than droid x which I tried for a day. Focuses accurately with options for exposure, scene, anti-shake. Pictures come out sharp, detailed, not too noisy. No flash, but I don't mind that. A friend took some comparison pics with her Iphone 4 and they were not nearly as sharp as mine; they also had a terrible magenta cast.
-Excellent video IMAGE recording (see below for sound).
-Kindle works very well, I've got tons of books loaded up.
-Music player sounds great, as good as my Ipod.
-Great price

Bad/mediocre:
-TERRIBLE phone service. Constantly missing calls, phone doesn't ring, freezes up when I try to make a call.
-Apps frequently open by themselves and have to be closed via a downloaded task manager app. This even happens while using other programs; an uninvited app might suddenly interrupt in the middle of a game. Sometimes the phone shuts down by itself if overloaded with apps.
-Voicemail service is poor--there is no indication of who called and when, and when I listen to messages I am connected in the middle of the recording.
-Very poor sound recording for video...if you are recording a moderately loud amplified band the video will look fine but sound like an unintelligible, distorted mess.

-Complicated to use and not intuitive...e.g. when you connect it to a computer you have to pull down a little usb icon and "mount" in order for it to be recognized as a storage device.

If I were not locked into using this phone for the next 8 months, I would try out a newer Samsung model (believe it or not). They seem to have worked out most of their problems and have some great deals. Love the screens and they seem to have the best phone cameras around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good features but too many lock ups., July 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
When it works, it works OK.A bit slow with an annoying amount of lag. The big problem is with lock ups. Happened twice today. I seldom go more than a week without a problem.

The GPS works well. But the latest version is full of bugs. AT&T must know about this because you can opt out of the update.

Audio playback over bluetooth has some annoying pauses.

Audible.com audio playback is also a but buggy with occasional lock ups. And it will sometimes lose my book marks. Very annoying.

Voice dialing is very poor. Just about useless.

Oddly, voice recognition is pretty good. I use it for texting and email.

Hopefully the latest version III is more reliable. (The two is several years old). Still, I'm going to wait for the iphone.

Oh... yes... it works very well as a phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Locks Up Frequently! Not Recommended!!, June 11, 2012
BB (Upstate, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone since August of 2010. CANNOT WAIT TO UPGRADE.

I was in love with it for the first few months. Then it started with random lock-ups that could only be relieved with a battery-pull. And, the phone is S-L-O-W with everything it does, although I make sure I have nothing running in the background. It really is not a pleasure to use at all.I've upgraded the software twice (it came with with Eclair and I upgraded to Froyo and now Gingerbread). Samsung does NOT make upgrading the software easy either.

I use this phone for work, and it has proven extremely unreliable with the lock-ups. The reception is very weak as well, compared to an iPhone 3GS and 4S and because of this I use an AT&T M-Cell, which gives me 5 bars.

The screen on this phone is stunning and the size is nice, but I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw it against the wall due to these irritating lock-ups and slow response.

This is what I get for trying the FIRST version of hardware. I'd like to think that Samsung has ironed out the bugs with this phone with later releases, but think I'll try HTC next.

2.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Alright I truly have to say that i have been disapointed with this phone. It locks all the time, it shuts off for no reason and it has been replace twice. The worst part about it Im stuck with it Att wont change it for another one. My first experiance with a smart phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, especially with latest firmware, June 6, 2012
Robert Tuck (OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My first Captivate was in the batch Samsung recalled for the power-off-after-a-full-charge issue. The second one has been great. I'm very disappointed in how long it takes AT&T to certify and release updates for devices (Gingerbread took another 6 months after Samsung OK'd it) but we have Gingerbread now (and that's as far as it will go on stock ROMs). I'm happy with the speed, the capabilities, the photo and video quality, and the speed (although multi-core CPUs are now taking over and are faster). My battery life is greatly improved since Froyo - I can make it to the end of the day with 30-40% battery remaining with normal/light usage while it used to be about dead by then with Froyo. Still a good phone if you don't want to pay $100-$200 up front.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Cappy!, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got my Captivate last fall, moving up from an LG Incite with Windows Mobile. The difference was like night and day! The Captivate is a very well-made, very ergonomic phone. It is quite rugged in design and after half a year of usage with no case or screen protector there is only one tiny scratch on the metal battery cover and one extremely small scratch on the screen. (As long as you don't keep the phone in your pocket with keys it should be fine. If you plan to keep it in a pocket with keys I'd invest in protection!)

I love that the Captivate has an internal SD card as well as the optional external SD card. This gives me more than enough space for programs and music. I'm not even close to using up the space on the phone itself and still have the option to get a bigger external card.

The camera works great outdoors (good lighting) but very poorly indoors. However, video works very well in either setting. I think if they had included a "flash" as some phones do then this wouldn't be such an issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer's Beware! Nothing but problems, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I really loved this phone when I first bought it. It was my first smartphone so I was very excited to be able to use the smartphone features and have all the apps. However, after only owning it for roughly half a year, it started messing up on me, A LOT. First, it started force closing everything on my phone, even my text messaging. I would have to factory reset my phone just to be able to use anything on it. Then, it started to turn itself off. It's not that it didn't hold a charge; it would just randomly turn itself off, especially if I hadn't interacted with it for awhile. Next, the screen decided it did not want to work. The phone was on and I could hear it working, as in I could hear if someone texted me and I could even interact with the screen. If I knew where the button should be to accept a call, I could answer the phone. Eventually, it started working again. Lastly, and the final straw, was when the power button stopped working. I had thought that the screen decided to stop working again since I could still hear my phone working. However, when I popped the battery out and back in, I realized that my power button wasn't working. Now this wouldn't have been such a big problem if my phone would stay on because I could just pop the battery out and in whenever I need to use it. However, coupled with the fact that the phone liked to turn itself off, the phone has become completely unusable and worthless.

I have had more problems with this phone than any other phone I have ever owned. I am not even writing about the cool features that came with this phone because I have had so many problems with it that they are pointless to mention. Since I am not up for another upgrade until August and there is no way I want pay for a new smartphone, I am forced to buy another phone just to have one. I would also like to add as a closing note, that I am not harsh on my phones in any way.

‹ Previous | 16 7 822 | Next ›