5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 17 8 922 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very captivated, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My experince based on a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy breed) purchased at an ATT store on its release day.

Problems with GPS from day one... you may reach your destination before the GPS finds the location
ATT already replaced my first phone within 12 months of purchase because of some issues
Phone reboots itself intermittently
Phone stopped vibrating (hardware failure)... well, I already missed some important appoinments because of this... I am still under my 2 year ATT contract. Warranty doesn't cover the cost after 1 year
A thin layer of transparent coating on the plastic (near the edge of glass) has started peeling off
Speaker sounds too weak

Samsung support: Always responds quickly, but I keep hearing that "do that... do this" which resulted in a couple of factory resets and I ended up reconfiguring the phone for no reason. Finally, I hear from the service person "sorry you are out of warranty" (are you kidding? less than 2 years life for such an expensive device?)
What I like about the phone: The quality of the screen and touch screen response. Reasonable battery life.
Problem Summary: These phones are not built to last for more than couple of months for an average user like me. My 4 year old Motorola phone is still dependable.
My Next phone: HTC or Motorola (I am not a iPhone fan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Screen is great, OK phone with some major problems, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone 3 months ago for 60$ and have been using it since. The screen and battery are probably the best part of this phone. he youtube videos look very crisp and i seriously feel like the scree almost has depth to it. It lasts the whole day while texting, using 3G and phone calls, so it gets an A in the battery depertment.

In terms of functionailty, there are some major issues. The camera frequently freezes when changing between modes and sometimes it just freezes for no reason. I know they just released a android 2.3 update, but I cant get it to download on my phone properly.

If i paid retail for this phone, I would be more unhappy, but I got it for so cheap. Ill get a new phone as soon as my next 2 year upgrade comes along.

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible smartphone experience., March 14, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
It is truly my fault for buying this phone. I accept that. And it may be that I'm just not cut out for Android. I accept that as well. I'm used to upgrades that don't fail for no clear reason and kill your phone. Maybe that's such a 20th Century attitude. My first over the air upgrade did just that, and utterly bricked the phone. Luckily I was within my 30-day purchase window and was able to exchange it. That's right: about a week into owning the phone, it died. Having gotten another one, thinking this a fluke, I was able to upgrade to the next level of Android, 2.2, only to have that kill my ability to get a decent signal. I have had 3G and five bars and been *unable to send a text*. And now trying to upgrade to 2.3 in hopes of fixing my issues, the phone bricks itself again. With no error message given. And I just spent close to an hour with Samsung Live Chat where they weren't even paying attention to what I was telling them was happening and thus giving me erroneous problem determination info.

This is a great phone if you like to tinker and mess around and not get things done. I would have loved it and seen it as a challenge back in the day when I didn't have better things to do. If you need a hobby, then this phone is perfect for you. If you need a phone, however, then stay away for your own good. And if you own one of these and it hasn't made you so angry that you want to punch kittens, then consider yourself lucky.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be worst phone ever made, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've been stuck with this phone over a year now, it's so bad that I can't bring myself to upgrade, instead will be forced to leave AT&T in the hope one of the other carriers will give better service; couldn't possibly be worse.

This "device" is a horrible phone, sound quality of internal and external speakers is very poor, reception is very poor; it really barely qualifies as a phone. Think tin cans and string here.

Software has been buggy from the start, and often renders the device unusable as you can't clear the search screen quick enough to use any other functions. It is impossible to upgrade to a newer version of the OS because not only is the installed software buggy, Samsung's upgrade software in non-functional; 2 major Android upgrades have come and gone for most users, but this phone is stuck with eclair.

Neither AT&T or Samsung have rushed to roll out any updates for this device, which would have been nice if the were installable. AT&T's over the air upgrade never ever happened.

The drivers are so poor, even the last resort of modifying this thing with a custom OS is not an option because nothing Samsung works on a Windows computer.

This phone is so bad that I am currently using an old flip-style RAZR while this Samsung is given to my 4 yr old to play angry birds on....it does that OK, I guess. It's too bad that I have to pay data charges for the term of the contract that I signed, but AT&T and Samsung are not required to supply me with a working device per the contract that they "signed"
I for one will never use AT&T for any service once this is expired, nor will I ever buy anything made by Samsung again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Samsung, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I loved my new phone for 2 weeks and then the problems started. Camera would not work and the phone would freeze. I returned the phone under warranty and received a new one. This one worked ok for about 6 months. The new phone shuts off for no reason. I was out of warranty with Amazon so I contacted Samsung. They told me I was out of warranty because my invoice didn't match the IMEI number and they could do nothing for me unless I wanted to send them $65 for testing. I was a believer in Samsung products before this experience. Not anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but useless, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is a very nice phone - if it only worked.

Folks, this is a "Smartphone" that can do all kinds of applications, BUT somehow, Samsung's own computers do not recognize this "Smartphone". That's right I can neither register or update this phone becuase Samsung does not recognize it and will not permit updating. So, the expensive smartphone I have had for three months with the pretty screen they are so proud of, cannot be maintained...or take advantage of the registration "beneifts" because ... Samsung's main computers aren't smart enough to recognize thier own product.

I have spent over ten hours dealing with this Samsung problem. I refuse to send in a 3 month old new phone for an ATT "refurb" which was already someone elses problem. Why would I want a rebuilt problem from a company that cannot get the new one right?

Samsung customer support's solution was to try three things and then say, wipe the phone, if that doesnt work, send it in. (After an hour of messing with it and support.) So, either I get to wipe it, lose data and spend more time restoring it and MAYBE it will work and/or I get to send the phone in and get a rebuilt problem that someone else has already returned. What a choice.

ATT - well, they just passed me on to Samsung customer service in the first place, but I really didnt expect anything different from ATT. I mean ATT is just that kind of company.

For those who love the Samsung products good luck, keep drinking the Kool-Aid and I really, really, really hope that yours doesn't break down - you are on the Samsung trapeze - it doesnt come with a net.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gingerbread 2.3.5 update available free from Samsung!!!, February 16, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone was good before....but now with the update it is FAST!!! no Lags in browser searches and no more wifi drop outs....great display with Gorilla Glass(better that iphone!) and takes every App I can throw at it!!! Get them free before they are gone. This is not a HACK update...it was released by Samsung & ATT. only took 20 minutes to update and I lost no apps or data!

2.0 out of 5 stars average phone, don't expect a lot, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for little more than a year. It is okay for simple tasks. Battery time is a killer. keep a charger on your side every spot you go. the most serious problem I have had with this phone is the lack of synchronization with your outlook account. Kiesk doesn't work whatever you try. Other than Kiesk, there is really no comprehensive solution to keep your data synched between your computer and phone. stay away if you have better options.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, but has its flaws, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is great phone but has its disadvantages. I've noticed the software has gliches from time to time. I usually have to reset it once a day, and it freezes when I'm trying to make a call.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Android Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The first phone I got lasted for about a 4 months and started having issues, like shutting off on its own. I got a refurbished one back from Samsung and it worked ok. I'm 2 months away from contract expiration and the phone has started to shut off unexpectedly. Not good when one relies on it to wake you for work or to receive calls from work.

‹ Previous | 17 8 922 | Next ›