5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a true alternative to iphone.
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered...
Published on July 18, 2010 by Steve Forlini

3.0 out of 5 stars Fix the bugs and this is a 5 star
I have owned a lot of phones. This one is awesome except for a few bugs in the phone that are extremely annoying. IF and when Samsung implements a fix, it gets a five star:

1) AGPS - the GPS as shipped does not use AGPS (cell phone towers) to find an initial position. using Google maps can take 15 minutes to estimate where you are. There is a fix out there...
Published on August 28, 2010 by MS

‹ Previous | 15 6 722 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone is just what I was waiting for, September 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I'll keep this review short and sweet, as there are a lot of other reviews with the pros and cons. I had Verizon's Droid Eris before this and the phone had only a 524mhz processor and to my surprise the Verizon network sucks where I live. The phone was slow, typing on the virtual keypad was horrible as it would lag and stutter, and everything about the phone was slow. This phone with a 1000mhz processor is super fast, I don't have to worry about killing apps, and the keyboard is fantastic!! Absolutely no lag and the screen is just gorgeous. Call quality has been great and I get great service where I am in AT&T.

I wanted to get the Epic for Sprint because of the physical keyboard, but after using the captivate I really don't need the physical keypad. This thing JUST WORKS.

(9/14/10)Edit: The GPS is broken currently, but it is a software issue so it is apparently being fixed. Also, when I received the phone I had problems with it randomly turning itself off. I returned the phone to Amazon and got a new one. So far, no problems with the new phone. I did a lot of research on this issue and it appears to be a bad batch of Captivates and not a software issue or an app issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best phone I found after an extensive search to replace my IPhone 3g, August 21, 2010
Amazon Customer (Evansville, IN, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Absolutly the best phone I found out there on the market. I am an x-IPhone 3G owner, was gonna go with the IP4, however, with all the problems to be worked out of it I actually decided to "look around" That was a hard decision for a true apple fan like myself, but to be honest i was getting a little sick of the "closed" world forced on apple users. Well I can tell you the captivate is an excellent phone. I have read some of the reviews that had problems with the GPS locking in, troubles with the media player, and compatability issues. I have had none of these problems. From out of the box this phone has performed as expected/advertised. The feel is supurb in the hand. It works great for my needs and I am more than satisfied with it. I find myself not missing the IPhone as I thought I would. Actually, its nice to download an audiobook right from Windows media player directly to my phone. I can drop movies directly verses going through Itunes...yea, I won't miss that too much. You can feel perfectly at ease with buying this phone. I believe it will exceed all your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars At&t's best Android phone!!!, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My last phone was a Iphone 3g. It did have great features but became too boring. The Captivate lets you customize it with great live wall paper and widgets. The hardware is up to date. Premium look and feel, very light. Android market not as large as Apples.. But it seems to me that Android Market has better content.
Pros:
1ghz cpu, a great gpu for gaming and media, 720p hd camera, 5mp camera, Super Amoled touchscreen..very beautiful! plus many other extras. I like how the wallpaper moves in the backround. A Media Powerhouse! Battery is actually decent..not a power hog.
Cons:
Not much to complain about...No flash led for taking pictures at night, Facebook is a little better on Iphone hopefully Android will get an update soon. Supposedly a Froyo Android 2.2 update mid December. Anyways it's an awesome price for At&t's Best Android phone. I'm a new fan of Android and very happy with this purchase.
Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice on paper not in real life., October 11, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
On paper this phone seemed great! But after buying it and testing it for a few days I can tell this phone seems rushed to market.
The GPS doesn't work on it for me. It can never determine where I am. Also my cell signal is constantly 0-1 bars at Home or Work. And this morning I woke up and my phone would not turn itself on. It was plugged in all night.
I am not sure what is wrong with it. It did do one system update since I have had the phone. But I guess it is not enough. I am returning this phone. Maybe next year they will have all the bugs worked out.

Side note: I hated all the "spam-ware" ATT loaded on the phone. They installed 6+ ATT apps on there. And some of them want to bill your cell number for services. And they do not provide a way to remove them. Not cool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Update to Android 2.2 announced, but no follow up, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
AT&T/Samsung announced Android 2.2 right from the release of the phone. Now that Samsung has released Android 2.2 for the Galaxy S, you would expect, that the Captivate is not far behind. Far from true. Neither AT&T, nor Samsung is issuing a statement on what is happening with the Android 2.2 release. BTW. AT&T Captivate's twin, the Rogers Captivate already includes Android 2.2 ([...]%282%29.pdf). I assume, that Android 2.3 would run on the Captivate as well, but I guess I have to give up hopes ever to receive an Android 2.3 update.

The major drawback for not having Android 2.2 is, that applications like e.g Skype require Android 2.2 to function and that GPS is supposed to work better with Android 2.2.

I am very disappointed with AT&T as well as Samsung.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful features but GPS stinks, March 3, 2011
Mark Ritchie (Wylie, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this from Amazon at the new year 2011, but I waited for the Android 2.2 upgrade to see if the GPS was fixed. Now that the 2.2 is released and installed, I can certainly agree with everyone that the features are wonderful. The screen is beautiful and the performance is great.

But 2.2 was supposed to finally fix the GPS, and it just simply hasn't. The reality seems to be that Samsung Galaxy S GPS's are just not very good.

This is a major feature of modern phones, so I think three stars is about the maximum this phone deserves.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want GPS don't get Samsung, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have a Samsung Captivate - gps works very poorly. Have been through 4 warranty exchanges with AT&T. They will only offer a downgrade to an obsolete, less capable phone.
Seems like all Samsung Galaxy S models have the same problem, and they are silent on the problem, and AT&T is mostly denying it.
(Google "samsung gps" before you buy.)
(BTW: The Android 2.2 upgrade and other "fixes" do not fix this problem.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone. But GPS is broken and ATT sucks, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have a captivate on AT&Ts network. I've tried all the gps fixes posted on xda but none of them make it work like my old blackberry 9000 did. AT&T just has edge where I live, and it doesn't even work usually. So this phone is essentially a 4 inch wifi-only tablet for me.

I have since ordered a droid 2 global. VZW does have 3g here and I've not heard of any issues with the droid 2's gps.

I should have known not to get another samsung phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Altogether happy; much more than I expected to be, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
For me, cell phones have always been an annoyance. Something I needed, but tried to use as little as possible. I absolutely hate talking to someone who isn't right there, and why anyone would endure the annoyance of texting has always baffled me. The only positive was that it saved me from having to wear a watch.

For the past year or two I've watched with annoyance as one after another of my friends and co-workers have bought an iPhone or other smartphone. I never wanted one, b/c I didn't want the added monthly expense, the added bulk, and the even more annoying and distracting features. But my old cell phone was starting to wear out, and I had to get something.

The one crack in my steely resolve not to become a smartphone owner was the fact that I'm a linux and open-source geek. I love it when a free, cooperative, global, merit-ocratic effort kicks the behind of a corporate behemoth. Apple is rapidly losing ground to Android, and Microsoft never had a chance. Anyway, the thought of having a linux root prompt on my cell phone was too much to pass up. For $30, it was worth a shot. But which Android phone to get ?

One issue I struggled with was whether to go for a large screen like the Captivate or a smaller (more pocket friendly) model.

A : You want the big screen. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I also wondered if I really needed a gigahertz CPU.

A : Yes, you want a fast CPU. Trust me. Everything should just happen "now". With the Captivate it does.

When shopping, I was waffling on those issues. Now that I've had the Captivate, I can't imagine how I could have even considered anything else.

Hardware-wise, I must say that in person, the screen is absolutely beautiful. I picked a gorgeous photo for my desktop and I'm still struck by the richness and detail. Originally, I considered carrying the phone in my pocket. No way ! I have a secure, belt-mounted case for it.

The overall quality of the device is pretty high, and although it really is gorgeous, I have mine protected in a (sticky, lint-covered) silicone skin for safety.

Back to my hatred of cell phones.... One thing I always despised about my old phone was all the garbage that ATT stuck on it : "Hey, how'd you like to give us even more of your money ? Pick a button, any button..." The thing that sealed the deal on the Captivate (Android, in general) was the ability to root the phone and get rid of all that garbage. Maybe it's not for everyone, but for someone reasonably comfortable with reading (and following) directions, there are many options for modifying or replacing the software on the the phone. I picked a "ROM" called Cognition 3.04. A few minor issues at first, but now it's all good. No stupid bootup sounds, shutdown sounds, cheesy animations, or un-removable greed-ware from ATT. Plus, if I want, I can plug the phone into my laptop and share the 3G link ("tethering") without having to pay the absurd extra charges that ATT tries to slap you with.

Regarding ATT : No I don't hate them. I get fantastic reception, good service, and never had any unpleasant dealings with them. The reception (in my area) is _so_ much better that I would never consider changing carriers. My only gripe (as subtly hinted at above) is that I'm a cheapskate, and really resent it when somebody continuously tries to gouge me for real or imaginary "services" I don't want.

For the Captivate (with tethering in mind) I decided to go with the 2 gigabyte monthly data plan. Another choice I am now very happy with. Turns out I haven't bothered with the tethering yet, but I'm so hooked on apps and mobile web surfing that I'm easily going over the 200 Mbyte level. At work, and seemingly everywhere I go around town, there is free wifi. So my only 3G usage is at home. Video is a little tedious on 3G, but web surfing and downloading apps are pretty smooth and reliable. And I'm finding that many of the apps that I like and use require some (but not a lot) of connectivity. With 2 gigs per month, I can just go ahead and use them without having to keep one eye on the meter.

As suggested, I have "come around" and decided that having a smartphone is in fact a good thing. The apps available are sufficiently powerful and useful to actually be worthwhile. If you are on the fence, I'd encourage you to take the plunge. Using a smartphone (as it turns out) can be both fun and satisfying. Even if you hate to talk.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad GPS, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate, Black 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The phone is very nice but...the GPS is useless. Worse than useless in that it will waste a lot of your time trying to get it to work. Even the "updates" from Samsung do nothing to help.

Also the phone likes to flash and beep when done charging which is a great pleasure when trying to sleep. Why does it need to order you to unplug it from the charger? Everybody charges while sleeping.

Cry