5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone
Published on December 9, 2011 by John H. Eickhoff

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT a good BlackBerry replacement
Note: I don't "play" with my phone very much at all. I work on my phone. The purpose of my smartphone is to function as my connection to the office when I am not there. Games and apps are not very important to me.

Published 16 months ago by Emily

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Finally an Android Phone with a good keyboard. I purchased this phone from the AT&T store the day it was available. It is more than I had hoped for. I saw it announced and was awaiting its release. In preparation I checked out some of the other Samsung keyboard phones for Verizon and Sprint to see what I thought but was very disappointed. The Captivate is so much better than the older keyboard sliders Samsung made for other Carriers.

Keyboard is great the slide is solid and feels like it will last. They keyboard spacing is good also. They keyboard touch and feel is well done.

The screen is perfect. It is crystal sharp and I have had no issues with its touch sensitivity.

Camera. It is an 8mp phone cammera. It is good for a quick point and shoot camera but lacks the features of a high end point and shoot camera. It compares to the other good camera phones of 5mp or higher.

Space. I am not sure how it calculates space but it does not seem to have 8gig like is advertised although I am not sure what it is counting. I stuck a 32gb card in it and have more room than I need. The Internal SD shows up as 4gb and then another 2 if you add in some protected storage.

Web browser is so much faster than my old HTC Tilt 2 Windows phone and being a true touch screen it works great.

Dual Core processor keeps everything running faster than you will notice. I have lots of games and movies and it runs fine.

Size: This is a great size. They kept it thin even with the slider and it is not so big as to be a full size tablet like the Galaxy S2 Rocketship at 4.5 inches.

Now the bad. It is from AT&T. They bloat it with worthless trial software. some of it runs so it taking up processing power even though you declined buying it. Of course there is no way to remove it. In defense of AT&T's poor practices they all do it.

Battery life. I have never had a phone I am happy with the battery life and this one is no different. At times you can almost hear the life being drained out of it. You will never get more than a days use out of it. Plan on charging it every night (and sometimes more).

Did not come with syncing to outlook. You can sync to Google but why do I want my information in Google's hands. Plenty of free synching software is available so this is not an issue.

I love the phone. It was a perfect replacement for my HTC Tilt 2 (windows mobile). If I had to do it all over again I would still buy this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Physical QWERTY GSM Android Smartphone, March 4, 2012
M. Muzammil "IncidentFlux" (Ajman, United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
My first phone was a physical QWERTY Nokia 5510, and my last was a Nokia E71 (Unlocked). These phones have very well built hardware keyboards, Samsung is not entirely there yet, but this is a very well built classy looking phone.

Note: AmazonWireless was selling this as "Unlocked" which implied that it won't need a network unlock code, so I had to get it unlocked. Now I'm using it in the United Arab Emirates.

Pros
1. Slider is well built, the spring action is helpful. Hopefully it won't get loose over time.
2. The 4" screen is ideal for me, since I mostly listen to radio.
3. The slider on the USB door is very cool, keeps the dust out.
4. Beautiful back-light keyboard, very clear.
5. Fantastic value for the price.

Cons
1. Major con - No notification light. (Rooting allows touch button lights to become notification lights)
2. Major con - Android doesn't clearly indicate if caps lock or num has been engaged on the physical keyboard.
3. Minor con - No slot to attach a hand strap. (workaround: get a case)
4. Major con - Speaker should've been stereo and on the sides, for louder sound. (workaround: use apps like Volume+ or Equalizer)
5. Major con - No hardware FM radio receiver. Really useful if you're out roaming or on vacation.

Observations
1. Not Samsungs fault, but it's hard to find good quality leather covers for sliders.

Edit:
The AT&T ROM has carrier restrictions which means you can't manually toggle between 2G and 3G networks. This is not a deal breaker, but those who don't use data packages or want to conserve battery can't switch to 2G if they want to.

Even after sim unlocking you can't do network searches, other network's sim will work, but you won't be able to see a list of them. This is not an Android or Samsung limitation, since flashing with other ROMs from XDA will release you from these restrictions.

2nd Edit:
The GPS receiver on this phone keeps accurate locks on satellites, I was driving at 140 Km/hr and Google Latitude was tracking me accurately, even exiting at high speeds or traffic jams. I don't have a data package and it was switched off as well. So it wasn't getting any help from AGPS.

3rd Edit:
The SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging works really well, without any issues. This phone keeps getting better and better!

4th Edit:
If you're not happy with the battery life, try these larger capacity third party batteries:
1. 1,950mAh - Mugen Power Slim Extended-Capacity Battery for Samsung Captivate Glide i927
2. 3,600mAh - Mugen Power Extended Battery w/ Battery Cover for Samsung Captivate Glide i927

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone!, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've had my Samsung Captivate Glide for a little over a month now and I love it. My previous phone was an older Motorola flip phone so this phone felt large to begin with, but after using it for a couple weeks, the bigger screen is worth the extra size. The QWERTY keyboard has a nice feel and is large enough to make typing easy. Nice camera w/flash, haven't tried the camcorder yet. WiFi works great! The screen is sharp and clear and the touchscreen is really nice. The battery seems to last better than I've heard about smartphones, I usually have 1/4 to 1/2 a charge left at the end of the day.

My only (really minor) complaint: although there are lots of protective covers out there supposedly for this phone, the only one I've found that fits the phone is the dusty blue Body Glove cover sold by AT&T; the others are too "thick" and don't allow the phone to slide smoothly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ATT Android Phone, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Refused to upgrade my old Samsung Propel until they came out with this Phone with QWERTY Slider. ATT wanted $150 to upgrade to it & Amazon was selling it for $0.01!!! So I dumped old # to get this Phone. Amazingly fast, crystal clear screen, solid feeling & build. Won't go into any details since the previous reviewer covers it all. Love this PHONE!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT a good BlackBerry replacement, December 24, 2012
Emily (Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

My company is moving to a Microsoft Exchange server that will not support BlackBerry, so I was forced to find a replacement for the BlackBerry Torch I owned and liked a lot. I of course loved the QWERTY keys on the Torch and did not want to give them up for an iPhone. The Samsung Captivate Glide seemed liked a great option, and it had good reviews.

I've had it for about a month, and I have to say, I'm not impressed.

1. Battery life is pathetic. This phone drains within several hours, even with NO activity (i.e., without even being touched). Exiting all applications doesn't help extend the battery life in any tangible way. I know I could purchase an extended battery with case and make the phone even fatter with the keyboard factored in, but I don't think I should be forced to do so just so that I can leave it on my desk all day and not have it die completely.

2. The thing I care about most on my phone, email, is in no way built to facilitate work.
--There is no Mark All as Read option. Not even a work around trick.
--If you have the keyboard open drafting a response to a email with a fairly long thread (many emails back and forth before yours), you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the email trail to reach the Send button. There is no other way to send an email with the keyboard open. (If you close the keyboard, the Send option will reappear on screen.)
--Sometimes it takes a full minute or more for an email to load on the screen after you open it, even with strong wifi connection. This is true of both large emails with attachments and smaller text-only emails.
--On the pros side, it does provide excellent viewing of PDF documents and attachments, and you can run multiple email inboxes together in one screen.

3. You can't change the 4 icons (Phone, Messages, Web, and Applications) locked to the bottom of the screen on all pages. I don't know if that's true of all Androids, but it's stupid. If I consider Email more important than Messages, I should be able to switch them.

4. The keyboard keys require a fair amount of pressure. You have to really push them down to get the letters you want. And the symbols menu when the keyboard is open is extremely limited, even though the symbols available with the keyboard closed are more extensive. And there's no way on screen to tell if you've selected the caps or alt key.

5. When using the phone on speaker during a conference call, the screen goes to sleep (normal). The only way to wake it up is to slide the keyboard open or to bring it up to your face like you're talking into it, then pull it away again. The first time I encountered this issue, I tried pressing the lock button on the side (because that's how my BlackBerry worked) and it dropped the call completely, without even waking up the screen.

There are things I like about this phone--the app selection is infinitely better than BlackBerry, the sound and speaker are good, the screen is crisp, the phone is still pretty slim even with the keyboard, the camera and video are excellent--but I need this phone to help me work, not help me play, and it definitely can't handle that to the extent that I need it to. I really wanted this to work out considering the QWERTY keys, but I'm giving up and switching to iPhone.

Bottom line: battery life and email program ruined this phone for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this phone, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I'm a long time blackberry user and I was very apprehensive about switching to a different brand. I did my research, picked the Samsung Captivate Glide, and am thrilled that I did! The phone is so light and thin that everyone is shocked it has a little keyboard. The keyboard keys are spaced in such a manner that the keyboard is easy to use. The camera is awesome and the screen on the phone is beautiful. I'm also told that my voice comes through much more clearly when I'm talking to people. Setting up the phone was a breeze and using the phone was a breeze. Before I used my phone when I had to, but I just can't put this phone down. Love it, love it, love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best QWERTY option on AT&T by far., August 14, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is a great device. It seems as though physical keyboards are fewer and fewer, and when one comes out that is a blast to use it needs to be shared.

Samsung has really put out some great devices, and also some bad ones in the last two years. So I am very pleased to say this is a great one. While some do not like the look of the "Touch-Wiz" UI that Samsung uses, it compliments the Android OS very well. One of the drawbacks of Android is that it can lag in commands and the Glide is no exception. There are some longer loading times on email updates and web sites. But nothing that will bother an average user. It is a good media phone, although again more complex media (movies, videos) will take some extra loading times.

The keyboard has 2 drawbacks: The phone is thin, but it does it at the expense of the keys. They are very flat and that makes the experince a little to get used too. Also, why a device which has a nice 4.0" screen has so much wasted space and uses only 4 rows instead of 5 (Like on Verizons excellent Droid 4 and the 2010 Samsung Epic on Sprint) is beyond me. However, they are decently spaced and very responsive. It takes just a little getting used to and the accuracy and speed you can type is so much better than the average on screen keyboard.

I can easily recommend the Glide so long as you take it for a test run at an AT&T shop or another mobile store. There is no better keyboard option on AT&T- Samsung has a dud in the Doubletime, and there are some BlackBerry options with fantastic keyboards (Bold, portrait sliding Torch) but with an underperforming internet experience and poor media options. The Captivate Glide has got a great screen, decent battery life, a decent performance and a great keyboard. Easy win and I expect anyone will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing phone for work use, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The phone is very snappy because of the dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM. Upgraded from Galaxy S and phone feels very responsible.

Also tried Skyrocket, which is another great phone. But if you need to do a lot of typing and need a physical keyboard, this is the phone to go phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phone cases., April 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The phone is great. If you want a keyboard, this is the best. Otherwise, GSII is a better bet. The most common case is the Body Glove case, but I read from reviews that it is hard to get the phone out from the case. Finally I went with the Speck case 'sure slider'. At first, the fit feels loose, but after a while, it becomes more snug. Don't buy cheap ones from Ebay, they broke really easily. I learned it the hard way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard and Smart!, May 22, 2013
Syberguy (NOTTINGHAM, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Not many smartphones have keyboards anymore; but this one is wonderful! Came with and older version of Android OS, so (after purchasing a nice 32GB SD card from my local MicroCenter) the first thing to do was to upgrade it to Android 4 - after that, everything was sweet! My teenager sends over 5,000 texts a month, so the keyboard will definitely be tested, but even its keys should begin to fail - it still has a really nice, Large Touch Screen!

ARRAY(0x9bc1596c)

Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T)
Click for more info