5.0 out of 5 stars It's Great. Don't be frightened by amateur benchmarkers
It's fast, silent and runs cool. And I usually have about 25 tabs open. The keyboard is maybe not quite as nice as my $1500 Lenovo laptop, but it's excellent. A cold boot (8 seconds) plus login, plus start the chrome browser, plus open my mail in gmail takes 30 seconds.

Published 9 months ago by Steven Stoft

Published 7 months ago by Mark Permann

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Great. Don't be frightened by amateur benchmarkers, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Chromebook 2 (13-Inch, Luminous Titan) (Personal Computers)

Most of the time I just close it when not in use and when I open it, it wakes instantly.

There's a 2-star review that claims the Samsung Cbook-2 (13 inch) can't play Comedy Central's Net Neutrality video -- "The video would freeze every few seconds." But it's easy for extraneous things to distort such a test. I ran the same video off the same website full screen without the slightest hiccup even on the first time through.

I've never been comfortable with a touchpad, but this one is working well for me. Forget the "stickyness" worry, the surface is perfect. But here's a trick for drag and drop that's often quicker and easier:
Settings / Show Advanced Settings / Accessibility / Enable tap dragging. To use it: double tap and drag. Otherwise use two hands: click down the track pad with a finger on one hand and drag with the other. (more tips at the end)

If you're thinking of buying this Chromebook, you may be hoping to get some real work done on it. It's the first one besides the $1600 Chromebook Pixel that seems like it might compete with a top-of-the-line laptop. That was my hope, and so far I've not been disappointed. The screen could be a tad bigger, but the high resolution is definitely not wasted. The memory is a bit small (yes you can save files directly to the local hard drive, so you might want quite a bit more). But you can expand it by 32GB for about $15 or apparently by 64GB.

It's a lovely piece of equipment and there's no doubt that Google is heading the right direction with Chrome OS.

Of course it comes with 100 GB of GDrive for two years, and GDrive space is so cheap (now down to $24/year for 100GB) that you don't need to worry about getting trapped into expensive storage.

Now I'll try to cover some points for Chromebook newbies like myself, who may be just as concerned with the software -- it's a package deal and the risky part is actually the Chrome operating system. The hardware is solid.

[1 week+ later: I still like everything about the hardware. A bit disappointed that I can't buy a device to make it compatible with my printer or scanner (that's Chrome, not Samsung), and that there is no decent app for marking up PDF files. But the Google apps are working better than expected off line.]

I was quite concerned the Chrome OS would disappoint, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I will still need Windows at times, and not being able to merge table cells in Google Docs will sometimes drive me nuts. But the apps are improving all the time, and I can already do more with it than I expected.

I've got 20 GB of work files in GDrive, and its backup abilities are great in some respects but too limited and risky in others. It can't handle the CryptoLocker virus (It will simply mirror all your locked files, and you will have to recover them one at a time) and accidentally trashed files are not in folders. Anyway, there's an extremely nice solution for $40/year at spanningbackup. (I have no affiliation with them, I just did a lot of homework.)

So, right now, if you're a serious laptop user that wants to spend a lot less time in heavy old-fashioned systems and more time in the cloud. Samsung's CBook 2 (13 inch) is the machine for you. Just keep the old one around to pinch hit.

Some Tricks you might find helpful (I'll add more later)
Ctrl - Alt - / Will get you a live map of the keyboard. Hold down key combinations (eg Shft Ctrl) to see the effect
Ctrl - Shift - ? To get Chrome Help
Ctrl - Shift - t To reopen the last closed tab.
Alt - Shift - M to see the hard drive

Swipe faster, go farther. That's right -- swipe all the way across the trackpad slowly and your cursor will move only 1/3 of the screen. Fast and you easily go clear across (sensitivity set to max).
Don't use Google's screen capture, by all accounts and based on mSy own experience, it really does not work propery, use Awesome or Snagit (Awesome won't work on PDFs)

Warnings:
You can't plug in your old printer or scanner. You can plug you old printer into a old computer and "cloud print" to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Chromebook yet, but not perfect, June 26, 2014
Bill H. (Plymouth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is my fourth Chromebook. I've had two Acer's (C720 and C720P) which I passed on to family members. I also had the very drool-worthy Pixel, which I sold on eBay because of its crappy battery life (and I was able to sell it for more than I paid for it!). This is my first Samsung and I am quite pleased with it. I'll start with the few things I don't like.

The screen could be better. The vertical viewing angles are pretty poor - you have to adjust the screen just right to get full brightness. Horizontal angles are not as bad. I would gladly pay another $50 to get a higher quality IPS panel. I do love the full HD resolution, and I'm glad that it's not scaled as it is on the Pixel. The processor is also a little anemic and I do see a little hesitation when working with more complex web sites. To be honest, I saw similar things on the Pixel. I think this has as much to do with Chrome OS as it does the hardware. Lastly, I'm not a big fan of the faux leather stitched lid design. Thankfully, it's pretty subtle. The texture is good, but I would have preferred that Samsung leave off the stitching.

Despite those gripes, this is still the best Chromebook I have ever used. The keyboard is fantastic. I am a software developer and spend all day typing and I love working on this machine. The track-pad is every bit as good as the keyboard. Battery life is also excellent. I have gotten a solid 7 hours of movie watching and 8 hours of typical web work out of it. It also charges back up very quickly. I also want to mention the full HD resolution again. This is huge for me. Working with web-based IDEs on the 1366x768 resolution of most Chromebooks was no fun. The resolution was my main reason for purchasing this, and I really hope other Chromebook vendors start looking at offering better, higher resolution screens. I believe there is a market for a $500 Chromebook that gets everything right. This Samsung is very, very close.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, not bad, but a few issues., May 28, 2014
Joel S. (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
Today I received the Samsung Chromebook 2 via UPS, packaging was a little weird, but this review is about the product and not Amazon.

I do want to make a note that the seal on the box was broken, and I am hoping that it was by Amazon to verify the delivery from Samsung. The Samsung box did have a shipping label from Samsung to Amazon.

The packaging did not affect my rating.

Now, on with the review.

This thing is a joy to type on. The keys are well spaced, have a decent spring to them and do not wobble at all. They are not back-lit, which I knew going into it, but it would have been a very welcome addition.

There are four rubber feet on the bottom, and they prevent it from sliding at all. I know this is an odd observation, but I've used laptops before that slid easily on a desk and so this was something I was looking for.

The touchpad (mouse) works pretty well, but there is a little bit of "stickyness" to your finger since it appears to be made of a plastic of some sort. I feel that one that was smoother and glass-like would have been a slightly better experience. Because of this, I expect that I'll want to use a mouse the majority of the time. There is a little lip around the touchpad so you can feel if you're going off of the touchpad without looking right at it. It is responsive though, and for that, I'm actually ok with the plastic--like feel as long as I can get used to the way it feels.

The speakers are quite low end, and do not offer any bass at all. To be honest, I think my iPhone sounds quite a bit better, and it has only one speaker in it. The headphone port is on the right side, and when used sounds perfectly fine offering bass, treble and mids as you'd expect. I am right handed and do not like cables being connected to the laptop on the same side that I use a mouse on, so this was a bummer for me--especially since the speakers don't sound that good, I'll be using that headphone jack a lot. I wish it were on the left and the MicroSD on the right.

Something I noticed about the speakers that I thought was quite odd was that the magnets on them are strong enough to hold onto a twist-tie, a paper clip and/or a nail (I tried all of them). I do not think I've ever had a laptop that had speakers that could magnetically grab onto things. And this worries me because of the small holes that are there for the speaker sounds could get clogged by metal shavings, etc. They could also just be annoying if you work with paper clips often and they keep getting stolen by the Chromebook 2. ;-)

Battery life isn't all that great for a Chromebook, I'm getting around 5.5 hours per charge from what I can tell. That's with the brightness set to it's highest setting (to help with the contrast issues on the display--more on that below) and doing light to medium browsing of websites.

The performance is pretty good so far. I did notice when browsing the Chrome Store that it was a bit jittery, but I think it has more to do with it loading a ton of pictures, and the way it was developed, more than the processor. I've browsed around dozens of other sites, include some that are heavy users of JavaScript and everything performed quite well and smooth. Seeing the jitter on the chrome store makes me think that sites with a lot of images might be an issue though-I'll report back on this section as I use it more.

It's not the lightest laptop I've used, but is quite portable, and for a 13" there's probably not many that come in lighter. I do not struggle to hold it with one hand while walking around.

The gray design of the Chromebook 2 looks quite nice, and while I was initially skeptical on how the faux leather cover on the monitor screen would look like, after seeing it first hand, it's not bad at all. It is solid plastic with no give or flex like you would have had if they went with a real leather.

There is a larger bezel around the edge of the screen than I expected, but you do get the full 13.3" as viewable screen.

The big downside for me, and the reason for docking it a star, is the screen itself. The screen runs at 1920x1080 and is crisp and easy to read--as long as you have the right angle on the screen. For me, to get the text a black and not a grey color, I have to tilt the screen back a bit more than I'm used to so that if I were to draw a line straight out of the screen, that line would hit somewhere a few inches above my head, instead of in the nose like I'm used to.

If you do not have the screen directly in front of you--like if you and someone else are watching a video together, the screen has slight distortions and grey shading. If you're the only person that will use it, it'll be fine, but it's helpful to be able to show someone the screen without any shading.

With how well everything else to me seems, I really feel like they skimped on the screen, and that's sad because that's the most important part of a computer in this form factor.

There are two other things I wanted to quickly mention since they could end up being something much worse. Earlier today, after Chrome OS finished doing an update, it told me to reboot to apply the changes, and after doing so, it would not connect to my Wifi network, and after trying various things, I ended up having to reboot the whole thing again. Then after re-enabling the wifi, it connected and all was well. A few minutes ago, after connecting a spare Magic touchpad and Apple Bluetooth keyboard (so I could use it in Docked mode with the lid closed and connected to an external display), the system started getting very sluggish and I ultimately had to reboot it again to restore the performance. The reason I wanted to mention these two issues--that at the initial look seem to be related to Chrome OS and not the Samsung Chromebook--most laptops use the same card from a vendor to provide the computer with Wifi and Bluetooth (and if equipped, Ethernet). I have effectively crashed this system twice today due to wireless issues, and I am not sure if it's Chrome OS, or a greater issue with the card they used. I'll follow up later with an update on if this continues or if it was isolated.

So, to sum things up, this is a really decent Chromebook, but they did skimp on the display. Since my experience is limited to a few hours, I'll update with any additional thoughts as needed.

This review was typed on my new Samsung Chromebook 2. :)

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 30, 2014 4:09:00 PM PDT
Joel S.:

Thank you for purchasing the Samsung Chromebook 2.

We have identified some issues with the sticker seals used on our initial shipment of Chromebook 2.  Be assured that we have resolved this issue and we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

~ Samsung Printer_Monitor_PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chromebook to date for my uses, May 30, 2014
This is my favorite Google Chromebook to date.

Quality: I also own a the Samsung Chromebook Series 3. The build quality of that machine isn't even comparable. The original series 3 was thin, had a nice trackpad/keyboard but ultimately felt cheap to hold (a lot of flex when you typed on it) and cheap to look at (The screen looked washed). Having owned and used a Macbook: this is a close to an "Apple-level" experience I've ever felt. The keyboard has slightly curved keys and a large accurate trackpad which making using this machine a real pleasure. The screen is 1080p with a higher PPI than the other Chromebooks in this category. The side viewing angles are very good but the up/down viewing angles leave room to be desired. Ultimately, a very minor annoyance for me in real world use (You really only change your Y-axis position of a laptop once when you sit down). I was worried this Chromebook would feel heavy compared to the series 3, but at just over a half pound more weight it didn't bug me in real world use and I must say the extra 2 inches of screen space changed the way I used my Chromebook: Multitasking is a lot easier.

Performance: When I first opened the machine I was only getting 5500 CPU octane scores even after updating to the latest stable channel. These scores were lower than I expected so I decided to switch to beta channel. Now I'm getting 7000 CPU octane scores and the machine is much snappier. Remember octane is a per core benchmark and since I multitask heavily with usually 3 or 4 windows being used simultaneously I can make good use of the 4 higher-performance cores. I use a desktop with a 30,000 octane score and four cores most of the day. The GPU performance is unmatched -- this machine scores better than the Haswell Celeron machines in WebGL Aquarium. I must say using this Chromebook doesn't feel dramatically slower than a high performance desktop and that is a real complement.

Cost: This is the most important thing to consider before buying this Chromebook. If you are not a heavy Chromebook user and just want a cheap Chrome OS device to use for 30 minutes a day this is not the best Chromebook for you. For $399 you get a computer that feels as close to $999 ultrabook or macbook as you're going to get at that price point: You're getting a 250nit 1080p screen, dual quad core processor, and top-notch keyboard/trackpad support.

So should you buy this Chromebook? I'd say it depends on your use case. If you want the best overall fanless Chromebook experience I'd recommend this Samsung Chromebook 2 -- assuming that you can afford an extra $200 and performance is not your top priority (This machine is still plenty speedy but an i3 processor will of course be faster albeit not fanless and hotter).

If you can't afford this machine I'd recommend the Acer C720 (at $199 you can't go wrong).

If you want a Chromebook that's going to be as fast as possible wait a month or two till the Acer/Dell Core i3 Chromebooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, October 17, 2014
After months of reading and watching reviews on Youtube--mostly positve reviews, I decided to purchase this Chromebook after weighing both the positive and negative things that have been said and written about this model. I want to start off by addressing the negative things that have been said about it and state my opinion based on my experience with this Chromebook for three weeks.

I was reluctant to purchase this Chromebook, because there were a few vocal anti-ARM processor and pro-Intel processor reviewers who although said that they didn't have any problems using this chromebook for everyday tasks, said it was subpar to the performance of Intel chip based chromebooks and this model couldn't handle a lot. Well, shortly after this model was released Google along with Intel announced the release of a new generation of chromebooks that would be ran by Intel's newer Celeron-Baytrail chips that are lower powered and fanless. Many of the newer Intel-Baytrail processor chromebooks only come with 2GB of ram compared to this model, which has 4GB of ram (able to multi-task better). After watching online reviews, benchmarks and comparisons of the Baytrail processor based chromebooks to this model, it surprised me that this model outperformed the Intel Celeron-Baytrail models, in loading websites, streaming and mutli-tasking. They becnhmark about the same. That was a relief and I found this model to even perform better on some of the previous tests some of the reviewers put both this model and the Intel Baytail chromebook models--possibly because Google is constantly updating and optimizing Chrome OS. Now, I'm going to keep it real. This chromebook is more than adequate in most things, but if you are coming from a high powered chip laptop than you might consider this Chromebook to be subpar as far as the speed you may be accustomed to. It takes a second/pauses sometimes to open a web page compared to some instant lightening fast processors on higher end PCs. But, once it loads, it loads quickly and navigates very difficult websites very well. Browsing is very snappy.

The second negative was that this model, although a full HD model, has a TN screen panel vs an IPS screen panel and that the viewing angles sometimes washes out the screen. Well, the truth is in the middle. I heard more great things about this model's full HD from both professional reviewers, as well as consumer reviews. I had high expectations for the screen quality and knew that I would have to adjust the angle of the computer to get the best screen quality (not a big deal). When I first got the chromebook and turned it on, the colors didn't pop like I had wished. The whites seemed muted and the screen didn't seem as bright as I had wanted. BUT, when I added a high res wall paper to my desktop as well as, visited websites with lots of colors and high resolution videos, the color, beauty and sharpness of the display became evident. I love watching videos on this device. It's a pleasant and flawless experience. I also found out that Samsung has some kind of image optimization software that automatically adjusts the screen quality to its best. So, for example when I watch videos on Netflix or Amazon Prime, the first minute or so sometimes looks like standard definition or sometimes looks a little out of focus, but then suddenly it becomes very sharp, colorful, vivid and beautiful. It doesn't always have to take time to adjust its quality, the screen is often sharp and colorful on its on except the whites, in my opinion.

Now, that I have gotten all of the negative things that gave me pause before buying this Samsung Chromebook 2, let me give you a summary of my experience. This chromebook exceeded my expectations. I thought that I would just use Microsoft's free online office suite, watch videos and surf the web. I wasn't expecting to use this for my creative work. I've loaded a lot of high resolution and lower resolution picture files from Drop Box to work on a project and do light editing. I had no problems with loading or viewing the photography and the screen's high resolution gave me pretty good color accuracy. I have also streamed music while typing documents or viewing photos and this Chromebook performed superbly, without incident. In general I am very pleased with this Chromebook. I also found two screenwriting apps for chromebooks (Rawscripts and WritersDuet). The WritersDuet app works both online and offline, but it's not listed yet in the Chrome store. There is the Pixlr app that is great for photo editing both online and offline. (online version is better) And Photoshop announced it's coming to chromebboks.There is so much more you can do both online and offline on a chromebook. Though they say that you can tell if you'll like a Chromebook if you can soley use a chrome browser on a Windows PC or Mac, I disagree. I used the Chrome browser and some Chrome Apps on a Windows PC previous to purchasing this and I can tell you that the experience using Chrome on a Chromebook is far superior than on a PC or Mac. It is so simple, light, clean and intuitive. Everything just works and flows as it should, without a lot of mess to fool around with or be concerned about.

A word of caution. If you do not have a newer cloud ready printer or a Windows or a Mac that is connected wirelessly to your printer, that you can route to your Chromebook to to print, then you'll have a problem as far a printing. I didn't undertand this before purchasing this. I thought that I could just print wirelessly using a wireless printer, but, Chromebooks can't install printer drivers, so you have to route it through a device that has the printer driver intalled on it. Thank goodness that I still have a PC that has my printer's driver installed and that I can use to route my chromebook to print. Otherwise you'll have to buy a newer printer or the chromebook has a built-in print to Fedex Office feature where your documents will be sent to a FedEx Office center to be printed. Also, when and if you get any chromebook, don't get discouraged when you first set it up. It's super fast and easy to set up, but it needs to update and adjust. At first, it may seem a little laggy the first few minutes or so. In general give it time to optimize. And if you are a power user that likes to have a ton of tabs open, while streaming video and music while playing video games, all at once, then this is not the chromebook for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Extremely Happy, June 29, 2014
Everything from the keyboard, to the screen quality, to, and this surprised me quite a bit, the speaker quality is top-notch. I saw some people complaining about the plastic construction, but it feels extremely durable, and is surprisingly rigid for something so thin and lightweight. I also saw concern with the faux leather lid, but Samsung was able to pull it off rather well, at least with the grey "luminous titan"

My only complaint is with the high resolution screen, everything is so freaking small. There is a setting item to change the screen resolution, with 960x540, 1200x675, 1536x864, 1920x1080(default), and 2160x1215 as your options. after trying several things I settled on leaving it at 1920x1080 and upping my default page zoom to 125%

Right, almost forgot...

The keyboard. Hmmm. It's small, there's no getting past that, and with my rather large hands typing at first was difficult, but after a little bit of use, and changing my posture slightly it's not a huge deal at all. That's one of the things you're signing up for when you buy a 13in computer. I don't know how in the heck I'd be able to use the 11in version like I was planning. It could use a backlight, but I'm not gonna take off a star for that, it'd be nice, but not a huge deal. The curved keys are a pleasure to type on. Having used many different keyboards, this would be up in the top five if only it were bigger o.O

There was also a lot of fuss about shipping dates and the like that I saw in the reviews and questions. Mine was back ordered and shipped about a week later than was initially expected. Side note: Amazon's customer service rocks! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ChromeOS device, May 30, 2014
This is my third Chromebook, after the original Samsung (Series 5) Chromebook, and the Samsung ARM Chromebook (almost two years old). I am very impressed.

Good:
- High screen resolution, screen pretty good (although not IPS-level quality). As others have mentioned, some sites really need to be zoomed in to 150% (can change globally in settings, or site-by-site by using Ctrl and +)
- Keyboard is excellent (at least for my preferences). Keys have a definite feel, but are not hard to press. After using for a good bit of typing, I would say this keyboard is top-of-the-line.
- The oversized trackpad is good too. I find that the two-finger scrolling is very good, and using two fingers to go back is quite good as well. Tap-to-click works well. After extended use, I am also very happy here.
- Speed of browsing is very reasonable (much much better than my original ARM Chromebook). Initial lag seems to be gone, and may have been due to early software.
- Speakers sounded quite good. They were rather clear and good reproduction of sound (at least considering the price bracket of this device). They also seemed to get pretty loud. I have been very impressed by the audio output of this in the two weeks since I got it.
- Overall size is the same as my non-retina 13" Macbook Pro (but a little thinner).
- It is quite light weight
- As far as I can tell, no fan (just like the original Samsung ARM Chromebook)
- Battery life is outstanding. So far, I have charged it two times after initially receiving it (almost two weeks ago). I have spent quite a bit of time on it, and the battery holds up very well.

Bad:
- Not much.

One thing many people forget to mention in the list of benefits of Chromebooks is the security and reliability of them. Each time the device is booted from being completely turned off, it does a cryptographic verification of every binary (executable) on the system. Because it is not possible to install third-party programs on the Chromebook (a blessing and a curse), this is possible. Also, the implications of this are that the system's "program files" are not possible to inadvertently change (or intentionally, unless in developer mode). This is a huge mind-shift from "normal" computers that need antivirus and anti-spyware programs to keep them running somewhat well (and even then, they need to be re-installed after a while). This computer does not have the system drain caused by such programs, and yet maintains a higher level of security. If you ever question if the device is running the software it should, simply reboot it. If it boots successfully, the software is as delivered from Google.

I have yet to try this device in developer mode, even though I have my previous ARM chromebook running unlocked. If you are interested in doing this, Google maintains a page for this device ([...]). The security afforded me by the locked-down (normal) mode is too good to give up (and, for me, I have other devices that I can use for other purposes).

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it but only liked it - its comparative advantages are undercut by flaws., July 6, 2014
Mark Permann (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I own the 13 Toshiba Chromebook model which I like very much but wanted a better keyboard and a higher resolution screen with less glare, so I ordered this Chromebook 2. The keyboard is indeed nice - the keys are less squishy than the Toshiba's, and are more comfortable to type on with their curved keycaps. It also looks like the screen has an anti-glare coating and glare is indeed lower, though still present as this is a glossy screen. And once I set the default zoom to 150%, I enjoyed the higher resolution - text looks much sharper than on the Toshiba.

Unfortunately, zoom setting does not affect system elements like tab text, which just looks too small though remains legible. Other system elements like the keyboard map and feedback report do get larger text, but don't increase the size of their windows, resulting in a jumbled mess.

I could forgive those scaling issues, which they may fix with time, but there are other ways in which the Samsung suffers versus the Toshiba that made me return it:

> The screen is low contrast and dim. I ended up keeping the screen at full brightness or one notch down most of the time to compensate.

> Possibly because of that, I also found the battery life to be lower than claimed - more like 5.5 to 6.5 hours than 8.5.

> The Exynos processor seems a little slower than the Toshiba's Haswell, though I don't know if I'd have noticed it without having a direct comparison.

> The touchpad, while smooth in operation, picks up & retains finger oils fairly quickly - a common problem, but something the Toshiba excellently repels with its matte surfaces.

> The keyboard on my Samsung had an intermittent squeak that emanated from the space bar. Probably just a defect with my particular example.

I returned it because of the keyboard squeak, but also opted not to get a replacement, because I could live with the dim screen or the Exynos processor, but not both.

Some other things I like about the Samsung that weren't enough to offset the disadvantages I mention: the thin, fanless (and therefore quiet) design and speakers that are less tinny sounding than average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, May 31, 2014
I am new to the Chromebook and have been looking and reading many reviews before deciding on the Samsung Chromebook 2 13". If you are looking for a low cost way to do the typical internet surfing, email, and cloud computing, this is the unit for you. There are other reviews that are critical of the processor and screen, but the average user will love this. It appears to be a quality build and the screen is perfect for watching movies and surfing the web. So far I haven't found anything I don't like about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it!!!, June 7, 2014
Couldn't be happier making the jump to a Chromebook. This thing looks much nicer in person when compared to the pics, and the faux leather stitching doesn't look bad at all. Great keyboard for typing and an awesome trackpad make this a dream to use. Even though I wish it had an UPS panel, the 1080 display that wound up shipping with it is still very nice, one of the best on a Chromebook yet.

Everything I use on this is smooth and quick, with a multitude of tabs open I have had no performance issues in real world use. I personally wanted an ARM device, with as slim a frame as possible and no fan humming in the background when the CPU starts to hear up. AC standard WiFi support is also a big plus for those of us with home networks that support it. Popped in a 64GB microsd for good measure, but somehow I think I will never wind up needing it.

Anyone in the market for a mid-range Chromebook up until now hasn't really had anywhere to go. It was Pixel or everything else. This is, in my opinion, the first chromebook where a sacrifice doesn't need to be made for a better screen or cpu, or 4GB of RAM. This pretty much has it all, and although some might feel the Exynos would be a sacrifice it really will handle pretty much everything an average person will ever throw at it with ease.

It's only been a couple of weeks since it arrived but in the time I've had it there has been no looking back for me, I'm officially a Chromebook convert!!!

Samsung Chromebook 2 (13-Inch, Luminous Titan)
$399.99 $399.00