5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! SUPER BATTERY LIFE, GREAT PHONE!!!
I got this when I first came out ,and I am sure glad I did, Verizon is out of stock! Let me share with this phone does it all-tough, rugged, but modern and all the basics needed! Let me walk through this, in order of features I love!

1. Battery Life-Hate charging your phone daily? This is FOR YOU..... A CHARGE WITH FULL USE FOR FOUR DAYSSS! WOW! I use my...
Published on December 10, 2009 by JCRArizona

1.0 out of 5 stars Convoy is Junk
These phones do not hold up after a while. Mine, and everyone I know that has one, thinks they stink, Lots of glitches, turning off by themselves, locking up.
Published on July 23, 2010 by Cappy124

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good But Bulky Phone, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Convoy U640 Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
My wife picked this phone out for me and I've been mostly satisfied. The memory card system on this phone is extraordinary. Other phones for you have to take out the battery just to get at the memory card always annoy me. In this case not only can you take the memory card (micro SD card) out easily from the side of the phone while it's still on, the phone automatically changes your settings to reflect the fact that the memory card is no longer present. I wish all phones could have that kind of feature; it makes me happy.

The phone makes a decent music player, not requiring you to change the format of MP3s in order to put them on the phone. My last one required that I change the format to Windows media audio, which was time-consuming and annoying. The only downside is the MP3s take up more space because their actual songs like I would play on my computer, but if you don't mind the loss of quality which you probably won't even notice since it's a phone you can always downgrade the software to a lower bit rate. I don't count this phone down for it, but I would've appreciated software that would let me pause a song and return to it. I like to listen a lot of talk radio podcasts and very annoying if I have to go in fast forward to find the spot I was listening to before. If the phone saved its place like my MP3 player does and I could just listen to it on my phone without carrying a separate device. The phone has a built-in camera obviously, which is average just like any run-of-the-mill cell phone camera. It performs adequately, but there's nothing special about it. You can take a picture of yourself if you want with the cell phone closed which was kind of nice. You just have to play with the menu options.

I really appreciated the charger that came with the phone. I wish all phones came with the same type. The power cord and the actual transformer (fat end with the plug) are two separate units. The power cord is actually a USB cable which let you connect to your computer to transfer data and to charge the phone. The plug end is a USB charger which you can use to charge any USB charging device. Charges I've seen like this are about $10 in the store and data cables on my past phones have been sold separately. This is simply wonderful approach. I can use the charger and a to charge my MP3 player, my PDA, or my portable game system without tying up the USB connector on my computer. I hope all phone manufacturers start taking this approach.

I could be a little happier with the phone. Having such a big speaker is nice, especially when I want to play music out of it or use the speakerphone, but it makes this phone vibrate a little bit when volume is high. I was worried something is can a shake loose eventually and the speaker stop working. I don't know if it's the speaker or the call quality, but sometimes I'll hear a little pop or a hiss when I'm talking. It wasn't enough for me to return the phone when I still could and isn't that much annoyance. I really don't even notice it anymore unless I listen for it.

The only thing I can really complain about this phone's appearance, is that it's pretty fat. I had to get a new cell phone case just a hold it. I'd estimate it some more about 1 1/2 times the bulk of my old Samsung Smooth, but it's really not a big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BASIC PHONE EVER!, October 2, 2010
Alan Gurney (Fairfield, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This was an excellent deal on a super phone. It is easy to read. Has a loud ring tone and super voice quality. If you want an excellent basic phone that is built solid this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hated with the Moto V750 is fixed with this phone., September 8, 2010
And I was really miffed at the V750.

Great battery life. Easy to use. Can actually sync with Windows Media instead of the detestable Rhapsody interface. Best of all, it hasn't melted down in my pocket yet. Can't recommend this one highly enough. I still love to hate Verizon, but they got this one right.

Great phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic battery life, June 21, 2010
This is a great little phone if you only need to use it as such. No bells and whistles just a solidly built phone with exceptional battery life. Easy to use and carry around in your pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good phone, January 31, 2011
I'm a returning college student and although I think smart phones are very cool I just wanted a phone that gives me good signal and great battery life. The Samsung Convoy U640 does both. And despite being a military grade phone I find it sytlish and and attractive. It does what I want it to do without requiring any extras such as a data plan. I have a Zune HD, iPod Touch and a laptop to do that for me. Verizon Wireless is a fantastic cell carrier and I always have signal. Overall I really like this phone and highly recommend it if you're looking for a phone that does what cell phones were intended for, making and receiving calls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Utilitarian Cellphone, January 23, 2011
I have always opted for fairly basic cellphones without too many unnecessary bells and whistles, and the Convoy does not disappoint. A great "utilitarian" device in the true, form-follows-function format. I do not send or receive text or pix messages, and although the phone is certainly capable in both areas, heavy users of these services are probably better served by the current crop of "smart" phones. But in terms or making and receiving voice calls comfortably and efficiently, the phone is the best I've ever had. I should also mention that the Samsung Convoy is the first non-Motorola cell phone I've had, and I could not be happier. As other reviewers have pointed out, the Calendar function is a little weak, so if that is an important part of your cellphone usage, it would probably behoove you to once again consider the "smart" phone lineup instead. Perhaps not as "sleek" or "slim" as some of the other offerings, this is a great phone with a heavy-duty look and feel.

3.0 out of 5 stars WENT DOWN HILL FAST, December 1, 2010
Convoy worked great for about 3 months. Then battery life shortened and lots of dropped calls.
Went back to old Casio GZ oneS and no dropped calls.
Ive noticed a trend. Phones that do 3G high speed drop calls more than phones that do not.
I think they have trouble shifting multible tower sites when on the highway.
If you dont need high speed stick with a basic phone that doesnt do 3G.
It would be slick if you could turn 3G off like on the IPhone. But lets not open that can of worms.
AT&T doesnt work even with 3g turned off. Stick with Verizon and get a non 3G for highway travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and abuse it..., May 21, 2011
Mary Harper (Cowley, Wyoming) - See all my reviews
I am a mechanic and I cannot tell you how many phones I have broken crawling in/under/around vehicles and equipment but not this great phone! I realize it is not fancy and does not do all the stuff I could frankly, care less about. I want a PHONE...nothing more and nothing less and the Convoy is perfect. My wife is a veterinarian and I know hers has been stepped on by a cow, "slimed" with lube, dropped at least 40,000 times and even flew out of her shirt pocket out the window of her truck going 40 miles an hour when she hit a huge bump in the road...and it kept right on working!!! We have had these phones about 2 years.

Paired with EZ voice mail set-up & retrieval, the longest lasting battery of any cellphone I have ever owned and numbers and buttons you can actually see (I am over 50 so that is a big deal!) there is nothing I don't like about it and both my wife and I will hate having to go to another phone when these have lived out their phone life and we can no longer buy this model.

There are a lot of us who don't need data, video, pictures or unrelenting texting...just a phone...a tough, easy to use phone and the Convoy more than fits the bill.

2.0 out of 5 stars less than one year to death, April 22, 2011
Okay basic phone. Great battery life. Sound quality good. Speakerphone easy to turn on and off. Big and bulky compared to many.

Main problems: In the first couple of months, the front screen broke while on a bicycle ride. It could only have bumped something while in my pocket. So much for rough and rugged.
Now at the one year mark, the earpiece stopped working. It only has sound from the "speakerphone" speaker. Now I have to purchase another phone only half way through a two year contract set in place by purchasing this phone. Next time I'll try the monthly "extended warranty".

3.0 out of 5 stars Test before warantee expires, February 28, 2011
I bought a Convoy about 10 weeks ago and, while I haven't used many of the features, it has worked well for most of those I did use. The one problem is that the regular speaker had a very slight, barely detectable "buzz" initially and it didn't bother me enough to want to deal with an exchange.

The buzz has grown recently to the point where it makes it hard to understand someone talking unclearly or with an accent and I sometimes have to request that they repeat themselves. (Tech support from India anyone?) Unfortunately, my 30-day return period has long expired and I seem to have no options except putting up with the problem or buying a new phone.

The lesson I hope to pass on is that if you have ANY problems with a phone initially (check them thoroughly to be sure), deal with them right away so that you are less likely to face these alternatives down the line.

ARRAY(0x9a57ee04)