4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dishwasher - but the interior does seem cramped
We just got this DMT800RH dishwasher a couple of weeks ago to replace our old KitchenAid model. We have a family of 5 and we tend to use our dishwasher a lot - so this thing has already gotten quite a bit of use.

Although we really like this new unit from Samsung, there are a few issues that we weren't expecting.

Before getting into that, let me...
Published on February 22, 2011 by D. Matheny

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, this product has engineering flaws!
Published on February 13, 2011 by R. K. Green Sr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dishwasher - but the interior does seem cramped, February 22, 2011

Before getting into that, let me start with the things this dishwasher does well:

1) When it comes to cleaning dishes, this dishwasher excels! We've put in dishes that never would have come clean in any other dishwasher we've owned - and they come out looking spotless. Since the main purpose of a dishwasher is to clean dishes, I'd have to recommend this Samsung DMT800RH based on the cleaning ability alone.

2) Our old dishwasher actually ran pretty quiet - to the point where we would get comments on how quiet it was. This Samsung, on the other hand, is almost completely silent. It's about the same noise level as a modern refrigerator - which most people can easily tune out.

3) I already mentioned how good this dishwasher is at cleaning dishes - and the 'Storm Wash' cycle is a big part of that. Imagine throwing in a caserole dish after dinner without soaking it; and having it come out spotless!

4) The interior is easy to take apart and clean. Our old dishwasher was a major hassle to take apart if anything ever got clogged - so I made sure this dishwasher was easy to take apart before buying it. (Although, we haven't had to test this yet; and, hopefully we don't have to for a while.)

5) This dishwasher looks great in our kitchen!

The main problem with this dishwasher is that the interior is very cramped - which has been kind of hard to get used to. Here are some of the issues we've run into:

1) The interior dimensions of this dishwasher are smaller than our old KitchenAid (or any other dishwasher we've had). I'm sure Samsung used the space to pack in insulation - but it makes the interior seem very cramped. Glasses, for example, are hard to fit between the rows on the top shelf - and both shelves end up with dishes literally stacked on top of each other if we want to fit everything from the last meal. To be fair, they still come out very clean - but it can be a bit of a pain to load this.

2) Even with the top shelf at the highest position, longer cooking utensils won't fit in the silverware containers. Because of this, we end up laying those utensils on the top racks - which makes the interior seem even more cramped.

3) The tines on the bottom shelf are very close together. Once again, I'm sure this is so Samsung didn't have to reduce the 'advertised' dish capacity - but it makes it really hard to fit different sized bowls and pots. Some of the tines do fold over, but that doesn't fully resolve the problem.

4) The bottom dish rack doesn't slide into the dishwasher body smoothly. If you don't put it perfectly straight, it will derail and you have to straighten it up and try again. This is one thing that seems like a design flaw that should have been fixed before the dishwasher was released.

Overall, I'd have to recommend this dishwasher with reservations. It does clean great, and it runs quiet - but getting used to the cramped interior can take some getting used to. Truthfully, I'd gladly have this dishwasher run a bit louder if the interior were more usable in exchange.

[ *** UPDATE 3/26/2011 *** ]

After using this for a few more weeks, we are getting used to the smaller interior. In all honesty, the dishwasher cleans so well that we can really cram the dishes in and they still get clean. For example, we had to space the bowls out to every other place holder in our old dishwasher or they wouldn't get clean - with this Samsung, we can fill every spot and they come out spotless.

On the negative side, we started getting an oE error shortly after I wrote this original review and it didn't get fixed after two service calls. Fortunately, we were still able to exchange the dishwasher out for a new one; which is working perfectly so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, this product has engineering flaws!, February 13, 2011
We've had this dishwasher for 2 months and it worked great. It looks good,the dishes were clean, the delay timer is probably the most impressive on the market. We were thrilled with its performance until one morning it would not turn on. The power console was completely blank. This appears to be a major flaw with this unit because I noticed another reviewer expressed the same problem. Another problem is the part has to be ordered and is not readily available. Also, when the service person took the unit apart to investigate the problem and put it backed together, it started working again. It worked great for TWO DAYS! Then the control unit displayed a different problem. Error message "PE",(Half Load Function error). I bought this unit because I have several other Samsung products with I have been very satisfied with. However,it appears dishwashers is not one of their better products!

1.0 out of 5 stars It only gets worse!, November 15, 2011
First off, I don't normally write negative reviews, however... New reviews on the Samsung DMT800RHS don't tell the whole story because this unit has some serious design flaws that everyone who owns will have to deal with sooner or later.

1) You WILL need to replace the upper rack mounts at least 2 or 3 times a year. These are the pieces that serve to adjust the rack postion as well as support it. They are made of a plastic that weakens from the heat. Check Samsung's website for reviews and you'll find that every other review complains of this problem.

2) You will most likely have to have service to remove the pieces of plastic that fall off the deteriorating clips from the pump and have the pumped repaired.

3) Eventually the control unit will start flaking out on you one way or another. If a power reset does not correct the issue...good luck!

Once your warranty is up, you will be paying dearly for the above as Samsung (even though they know the issues) will not honor anything beyond that point. Even if they replace the defective parts multiple times.

This unit has 2 things going for it: It is very quiet and it appears to be structurally well built (solid feel and weight)... that's where it ends. NO, it does not get the dishes clean! I'd like to know what kind of water these people have that say this unit cleans dishes. At a typical 5 grains hardness (city) and no matter what soap and rinse agents used, the glasses would continually get worse with each wash. All plates, bowls, etc. have to be pre-rinsed. You'll find many more reviews complaining about this than those praising it's cleaning ability.

Now that the Samsung DMT800RHS model has been out for over a year, it's clear that this is not a long term appliance. Pay close attention to reviews from those who have a year or more experience with this model. If you still want to take the risk...get the extended warranty; you'll need it!!

We were waiting on another pair of replacement rack mounts and the dishwasher quit working. It will run and say it's washing the dishes, no error codes at all, but when it finishes the soap is plastered all over the lower rack. Even though we bought all Samsung appliances last year, we are done messing with this unit and purchasing a Kenmore Elite today. I will be setting this unit out on trash day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not buy this dishwasher, December 23, 2011
We have had this dishwasher for a year and its been nothing but trouble. First we had the electrical issue that others have posted. Now at 1 year and 1 month, it will now no longer wash. (yes 3 weeks out of warranty!). It no longer pushes water, the tub just simply fills up and we have to manually cancel and drain.

I cant believe this appliance has lasted 1 year and now i have to either replace it or have it repaired.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not clean dishes, October 4, 2010
J. H. Chapin "Creepy Smurf" (City that never sleeps(but should sometimes, it's healthier)) - See all my reviews
We bought this from a local big box store, got a 10% discount for Labor Day and another 10% moving discount. Shipped free and installed fairly easily. Problems with the older model were not fixed, see reviews for DMR78AHS. Still dries on food to the dishes, glasses are not cleaned, and a gross layer of filth water forms at the bottom front edge of the unit. Seems to get stuck there when the door is closed, and never gets washed out. Had this for about 3 weeks, and returned it. You need to be careful not to load tall items on the front left side, it blocked the soap dispenser from flipping open during the wash cycle. Cycles are long, but all DW seem to have long cycles these days. Hidden heating element still did not prevent some of our tupperware from melting on the bottom rack. Keep all plastics on the top rack. No area for long utensils on the top rack which is annoying since they need to be laid on the bottom of the top rack. Touch-screen controls looked cool, but seem to be triggered if your leg brushes up against it while the door is open. Started a few loads by accident. The tines for the racks are very close so it was tough to fit thicker dishes. Probably caused some of the issues with the cleaning as well since they would touch in certain areas. Tried different kinds of dish soap, different cycles, and different load patterns, and stuff was still not clean. The most annoying part was that the leftover food was dried on, so you had to really scrub it to get it off.

Pros - Stainless steel interior, Cool looking controls, sturdy racks
Cons - Doesn't clean dishes

1.0 out of 5 stars Very unhappy with Dishwasher and repair response, April 18, 2011
I've had the DMT800RHS dishwasher for less than 3 months and I've had a multitude of problems with it.

Problem 1: this dishwasher does not do a very good job at cleaning the dishes. Even using the pot scrubber and sanitize mode to get the water it's hottest, the unit still leaves food on the dishes.

Problem 2: The unit is made with a sloping top shelf so that you can supposedly stack taller dishes in the upper and lower portions. This feature is rendered useless due to the fact that the sprayer jets below the top shelf are mounted horizontal, and if anything blocks their path, dishes won't be washed at all. This is a design flaw that results in a significant loss of usable space in the unit.

Problem 3: After 2 months of poor service, the unit actually died. I checked the power supply and water supply, but everything was connected properly. I called to have the unit checked, and the Samsung warranty service provider could not determine if it was a master control board or the touch panel that was the problem. Parts took over 2 weeks to arrive from Samsung, and I am still waiting on the service provider to come to see if the parts even repair the unit.

Problem 4: Samsung's customer support has not been very helpful in resolving the issues.

I have had the Samsung washer and dryer for over 2 years, but I would not recommend the dishwasher. In fact, I am not sure if I will be purchasing any other Samsung appliances in the future.

This review is from: Samsung DMT800RH Energy Star 24" Dishwasher with 6 Wash Cycles and Touch Screen Control Panel, Black
We just got this DMT800RHB dishwasher a couple of weeks ago to replace our old KitchenAid model. We have a family of 5 and we tend to use our dishwasher a lot - so this thing has already gotten quite a bit of use.

1) When it comes to cleaning dishes, this dishwasher excels! We've put in dishes that never would have come clean in any other dishwasher we've owned - and they come out looking spotless. Since the main purpose of a dishwasher is to clean dishes, I'd have to recommend this Samsung DMT800RHB based on the cleaning ability alone.

5) This dishwasher looks great in our kitchen!

5) The front of this dishwasher looks great when it's clean - but it smudges easily, so we have to wipe it off multiple times a day. Even the handle is prone to smudging. This might not be a problem if you don't have kids; but, if you do...

[ *** UPDATE 3/26/2011 *** ]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dishwasher!, February 17, 2011
I bought this dishwasher at Sears and have owned it for a few months now. It's quiet, cleans my dishes wonderfully and hasn't given me any trouble at all. I replaced a 15 year old Frigidaire Professional series and this one is much quieter and cleans better. In addition, it is very well constructed. The Stormwash works great as well. I made cookies and put my KA mixer bowl over the Stormwash jet without rinsing it. I just threw the bowl in there with dried cookie dough and all. Came out spotless. I also tried dried egg yolk on dishes using the normal setting. Those too came out spotless along with some peanut butter covered silverware. I never have extraneous chunks of food stuck to my dishes or any strange smells. The stainless interior is also much nicer to look at than the old plastic tub of the Frigidaire. The unit also dries very good even with the convection drying (no heating element). Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

I looked at Kitchen Aid and Bosch before deciding on the Samsung. The kitchen Aid was nice but I refuse to spend $1400 for a dishwasher. The Bosch seemed very cheap to me (referring to build quality) and the reviews are mixed with lots of people having problems. To compound that, the Bosch is also very expensive.

So in closing I got a great cleaning, quiet dishwasher that is well constructed for less than $700 with coupons/price matching. You'll be hard pressed to find a dishwasher that performs as well, with as many features at this price point.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Nightmare, January 19, 2011
My husband bought this dishwasher along with a new stove and refrigerator from HHGregg in October. It has been nothing but trouble. It has had draining problems, but the worst part is that it doesn't turn on. It simply just does not turn on sometimes. We have had our electrician look at it and its not anything on our side. The power strip was replaced and it worked a few times, then it stopped. Finally the first week of January it was replaced with a new model. After a handful of uses, the power is dead again. Nothing. Again, a loaded dishwasher that will again need to be unloaded and dishes washed by hand until the situation is again remedied . . . a DIFFERENT dishwasher. The rack spacings are funny and the bottom rack slides off its tracks pretty easy. For such an expensive "high quality" dishwasher, it seems cheap to me. The only great quality is that it is almost silent when its actually running.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Product - do not purchase this dishwasher!, July 31, 2012
We have had our dishwasher since Dec 2010 and from day one have had problems with it.

We have had many problems with it - One being the computer board needing replacement as it was blowing our breaker after each use. Secondly, the the rack adjuster clips broke off and fell into the pump making the dishwasher extremely noisy. In this case the pump and the rack adjuster were replaced. We have had our rack adjusters replaced three times now and once again they are broken. Luckly we've noticed the broken piece before it went into the pump which damages the pump and requires replacement of the pump. There are many other complaints i.e. bottom tray falls of track, the wheels on bottom tray come off often, bad odour etc etc.

Definitely a design flaw.

I am disappointed of the poor quality of this product and poor customer service Sumsang offers. Most of the time they ignore your emails.

This dishwasher is a LEMON, no doubt about that.

$799.00 $549.00
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.