4.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery Life/Pretty Good Phone too!!
I've been watching the HTC Thunderbolt 4G phone and finally gave up on it due to all the bugs and horrible battery life. So after reading several reviews on the Samsung Droid Charge, I decided to take the plunge. Here's how my first few days with the new phone went - the good and the bad. First some qualifiers - I live in the Maryland suburbs outside DC where there is...
Published on May 18, 2011 by Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars Feedback
I just upgraded my Blackberry Storm to the Droid Charge. I like the phone. The battery life is much better than the Droid X or Droid 2, similar to the storm. Screen display is awesome; there are some quirks when it appears to have a mind of its own. My dislikes, dropped calls and spotty reception. I still carry my Blackberry with me and compare signal strengths and the...
Published on May 28, 2011 by William Powers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away from the Samsung Droid Charge as fast as you can!!!, September 2, 2011
This review is from: Samsung DROID CHARGE 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The Samsung Droid 4G Charge phone by Verizon Wireless is a worthless piece of electonic junk. This gem turns your 4g experience into a living nightmare. Let me count the ways it sucks: 1.) It is always dropping calls. 2.) it is always losing the 4g network and sometimes it won't connect to the 3g network. 3.) Sometimes it gets very slow and can take up to 10 seconds to back to your home page. Sometimes it never makes it there. '4.) Apps will hang up regulary, requiring a reboot. 5.) The voice recognition is terrible. I will often dial a number in your phone book that doesn't even remotely sound like what you said. 6.) The blue tooth connection is always dropping off. 7.) The bluetooth connection doesn't want to connect at times until you turn it off and on a number of times, or reboot. 8.) The battery is anemic and can ony handle 2.5 hours of continuous use. On a regular day I will get around half a day's use out of it. 9.) The battery will overheat if you try to use it while using a car charger, i.e., GPS while driving. and lastly, 10.) today it send some messages on its own in triplicate. I sent two messages after that and they were also in triplicate. Who designed this thing, Microsoft???? Stay away from the Samsung Charge. This is my second Charge already (the first one was even worse so they replaced it) and I'm ready to chunk it out the window!!!! Unfortunately, I waited too long to complain and Verizon will not replace it with a different brand. They'll only replace it with another Charge. Why go through the trouble when I know the problem is with the model and not this particular phone. I am stuck with the Charge and Verizon for another two years. When my contract is up I guarantee you I will be heading for another provider FAST!!! Are you listening Verizon and Samsung???!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Literally the worst phone I have ever owned!, February 26, 2013
I'm a long-time Verizon customer and have owned many phones throughout the years- ranging from the FIRST camera phone from LG in 2002, to the enV, the Dare, the original Motorola Droid (which was a great phone, by the way) to now owning the Samsung Droid Charge. You would think as technology improved, the phone would get better and the experience would get better, but this is not the case. If it were not for the fact that I'm locked into a two-year contract, I would switch from the Samsung Droid Charge. This piece of junk phone is the reason why I'm ready to either pay $500 for another phone on eBay or pay the early termination fee and break my contract to go to another carrier. The screen on my OG Moto Droid is broken, otherwise I'd go old school and use that!

I've owned this phone since December 2011, which is a little over a year now. I upgraded and renewed my 2-year contract because Amazon was advertising this phone for a penny. That was literally all I paid- a penny, but believe me, even a penny is overpaying for this piece of junk! It worked great the first few months I had it, but after that, I experienced many problems with this phone and it has gotten progressively worse. If you search on Verizon forums, you'll find that many others are experiencing the same exact problems. It is not a Verizon problem but is in fact a Samsung problem. Samsung put in a crappy radio receiver, and this is the cause of many problems with the phone.

Here are the problems I've personally experienced, and many others have also experienced as well:
-NO 4G SERVICE, only 3G: I live in Los Angeles, and even Verizon has told me I should be getting 4G. The 4G worked for a few months but stopped working after that, and I believe it's a result of the crappy, cheap radio Samsung put into this phone. I had to switch it to CDMA 3G mode instead of LTE just to be able to get data service, so I am paying for 4G service that I am not getting.
-LOSES DATA CONNECTION ALL THE TIME: Even though I switched it to 3G mode, several times throughout the day, I get ZERO DATA CONNECTION or a 1X CONNECTION (if you're lucky). Restarting the phone several times a day solves this problem. Again, linked to the crappy radio. Don't buy this phone if you need to have constant access to your emails or the internet.
-PHONE REBOOTS RANDOMLY: It will restart on its own for no reason.
-PHONE LOCKS UP: Trying to dial someone, it will take about 2 minutes before it actually dials. I have more faith in reaching someone using 2 soup cans and a whole bunch of string.
-PHONE RANDOMLY DIALS PEOPLE FROM CONTACTS: This has happened a few times the last few months.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this phone like you'd avoid a hooker with VDs. That's all I gotta say! I'm counting down until December 2013 when I can get a new phone!

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give negative stars for this phone, March 28, 2012
The Battery is awful
It freezes constantly
Battery pulls are required constantly
Startup takes nearly 5 minutes
It has the hideous TouchWiz
It didn't receive the Gingerbread update for nearly a year
It may be 4G but it never picks up a signal

DO NOT GET THIS PHONE. DO NOT GET THIS PHONE! I cannot stress this enough. YOU. WILL. HATE. IT.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!, March 9, 2012
There is a known defect that causes the OS to send auidable data transmissions that the user hears as a deafening squak over the earpiece during telephone calls. I have been working with VerizonWireless World Support for the last 3 months running BUG detector after each occurence. Samsung is aware of the defect and will ONLY replace the phone if this occurs on more than 50% of calls.

Busness support suggested buying a new phone, different model, at FULL RETAIL as they said they are no longer recommending this phone to customers becasue of this known DEFECT. Management has not yet authorized full replacement yet as Samsung is not willing to replace the phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars I SHOULD HAVE READ THE REVIEWS FIRST!, March 6, 2012
I REALLY wish I had read the reviews.

Here is what I have noticed in the first week:

The phone needs charging at least 2xs a day. And this is with NO data use (I just took 3 calls, with a bluetooth and was down to the red zone in battery life).

Any call I've made that is over a few minutes has durations of inaudibility. Either it fades out completely (and continues to show a call in progress) or it has these really loud clicking noises that make it impossible for the other party to hear.

I haven't even begun to experiment with the phone and its data capability. I just wanted to have a phone that would work and would also allow me to use it for driving directions and some occasional music listening. This one has to be CONSTANTLY connected to a charger, and I can't even imagine using it to listen to music and having it last more than a couple of songs. Trust me, buy another phone if you want to make more than 3 calls per day.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst phone ever, February 18, 2012
TOTAL JUNK. Do not buy this phone. It's the worst phone i have ever used. It will not sync with my 45K 2011 Dodge Ram Pickup or with any of the other bluetooth devices from various brands i own. When on a call and vmail ask's if you want to save or delete, the screen is black and you have to restart the pnone to access the dial pad. Same thing when you want to end a call. The disply screen timeout is set to 10 mins yet goes dark in seconds when your on a call. when i called india, oops i mean tech support, they cant help and blame the other devices and have no fix for the screen timeout issue. Also there is no sweetspot for the speaker/ ear end to hear very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice display, TERRIBLE battery life!!!!! Abysmal support., January 17, 2012
I wanted a phone with a good display, true 4G data, and lots of available apps. The Samsung Charge does that....for a few hours.

I can't understand the people on these reviews who are saying "good battery life". Perhaps they are barely using their phone. I am a very savvy techie; I have done *everything* one can do to get better battery life (e.g., turn off WiFi when not using it, kill unused tasks, use a short screen timeout, etc.), and I cannot imagine getting a full day from this phone. I end up living tethered to chargers...at home, in the car, etc. Right now, my Samsung Charge shows 50% battery after very light use for 6 hours. I have *NEVER* made it a full day....not once in 5 months.

Otherwise, it has a nice display, and most things on it work. Other complaints:
1. The jerks at Samsung loaded the thing with apps that you cannot remove (Golf? Buzzbox, Rhapsody, Rock Band, etc) and Verizon packed it with a few of their own. That's seriously annoying.
2. No LED to indicate calls/messages is seriously annoying. The answer is an app named NoLED...which consumes battery! :-(
3. The phone has "issues" w/ BlueTooth; not sure what triggers it, but sometimes it just will not connect to existing paired devices. The only cure then is to re-boot the phone.
4. The phone is *very* sensitive to chargers...one charger I have makes the touchscreen almost useless, another (in my car) puts a whine on the audio coming out of the headphone jack. Neither is a cheap charger, BTW...the car one is a Verizon charger.

All in all, this isn't the worst phone I've owned...but you can bet that I am looking forward to my contract expiring so I can get something else!

Update 8/2012: I had the misfortune of having my phone partially fail, and I called Verizon to have it repaired...which, of course, actually meant that they shipped me a "new" one. Well, the new one was a re-furb, and it had its' own, severe problems. Back it went...and I got another refurb...which also was very seriously flawed....and back that one went....when I received the 3rd replacement, and it, too, was seriously flawed (I'm not being picky here: Wi-Fi didn;t work on it!), I went ballistic with Verizon and they offered me a different model phone. Thankfully, that Motorola Droid has turned out Ok. I'm reducing the phon e rating to 2-stars, for obvious terrible support and terrible QA.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome phone, September 8, 2011
pretty cool no problems with it battery life is not bad i totally recommend this phone i am very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats my original Motorola Droid by lightyears!, August 19, 2011
The Good: Much faster than my Motorola Droid. Don't have 4G in my area yet so have not tested network speeds. Super huge OLED screen is bright enough to see in full sunlight, and large enough to be useful. Decent battery life so far but have only had the phone for a couple of days. 2GB of internal memory and factory-installed 32GB microSD gives you lots of space for apps, photos, music, etc. Good quality images from both 8MP main camera and 1.3MP front camera. I rarely use my phone as a phone so cannot comment on the quality of calls.

The Not So Good: Internal speaker volume is not loud enough. TONS of useless pre-installed bloatware which cannot be removed unless you root the phone, and even then, may not be able to uninstall. Thus far I have been unsucessful at all attempts at rooting using z4 Root or super one-touch with psneuter or GingerBreak, nor has adb using GingerBreak been able to do it. I specifically chose Samsung because of their supposed root-friendly attitude. Will keep trying, and WILL eventually succeed!

Addendum: After lots of research and trial & error I was able to get root access on my Charge! For info on how to do it see the following URLs.

[...]

Please make sure to carefully follow all instructions on using Odin, but before flashing, remove the battery from the phone. Then once the phone is recognized by Odin, replace the battery and then flash. Please do not blame me if you damage your phone using this method. All I can say is that it worked for me. If you don't have much experience rooting Droids you may want to wait until a one-click method is developed for the EE4 build. Email me if you need more help. dr.jpeg1254@gmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Droid Charge has wonderful screen, August 19, 2011
I've had my Droid Charge for about a month. The screen and interface are wonderful and the added memory (over my old original Motorola Droid) are greatly appreciated. There seems to be about 1.2Gb of memory allocated to applications and 328 Mb available for running applications. Even though the phone is large, it is very light and thin and doesn't feel as large as it might seem.

I have two complaints about it which lowers its score. The battery life seems fairly poor. It is similar to my old Motorola Droid which is good when one considers its screen and speed. I can get up to 10 hours on the battery but typically less. I'm a fairly hard user, so perhaps this isn't surprising, but I need to have a charger handy regularly or it won't last the day. This may get better as I get used to the phone. The other complaint is that it freezes up and/or reboots about once a day, for no apparent reason. It says it is running 2.2.1. I hope it gets the 2.3.4 upgrade soon and perhaps that will help.

I don't have 4g in my area, so I can't report on its performance, but the battery life I'm experience is without the additional drain of 4g.

(Update 9/6/11). I've had the phone for more than a month now and the freeze ups/reboots persist with typically 3-4 per day. As aggravating is that having it dial a number sometimes takes forever. I can request it to call a number in my contacts and it may be a minute later that it decides to make the call. This is very bad. Battery life is not improving at all and I have a spare battery and external charger to help me make it through the day. It really needs some system fixes.

(Update 9/12/11). I did a full reset on the phone and reloaded my applications. This time I did two things differently. I didn't put any applications on the SD card, and I didn't use "folder manager" to organize my apps. I simply used folders in the home pages. So far the phone is behaving much better. Battery life still isn't great, but I've had far less problems with sluggish response and with freezing up and rebooting. It hasn't stopped entirely, but is much, much better so far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›