4.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery Life/Pretty Good Phone too!!
I've been watching the HTC Thunderbolt 4G phone and finally gave up on it due to all the bugs and horrible battery life. So after reading several reviews on the Samsung Droid Charge, I decided to take the plunge. Here's how my first few days with the new phone went - the good and the bad. First some qualifiers - I live in the Maryland suburbs outside DC where there is...
Published on May 18, 2011 by Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars Feedback
I just upgraded my Blackberry Storm to the Droid Charge. I like the phone. The battery life is much better than the Droid X or Droid 2, similar to the storm. Screen display is awesome; there are some quirks when it appears to have a mind of its own. My dislikes, dropped calls and spotty reception. I still carry my Blackberry with me and compare signal strengths and the...
Published on May 28, 2011 by William Powers

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Great Price, Great Service!!, August 13, 2011
This review is from: Samsung DROID CHARGE 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
You can get info about this phone from many other sources, so, I'll just say it's everything good that I read and hoped it would be. I want to focus this review on the buying experience I had with Amazon Wireless.

This was my first phone bought outside my provider, Verizon. I was able to get the Droid Charge for a much lower price than from either Verizon or Costco Wireless, but I was nervous about not getting it directly from Verizon. What if it didn't work and Amazon left me out on a limb, and what if Verizon wouldn't talk to me if I had problems with the plan? Well, I now know I had ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO WORRY!

Received the phone, charged it fully first, put the SIM card in and turned the phone on. It was supposed to automatically activate with Verizon, but was having trouble. Restarted it a couple of times. Then remember I had forgotten to turn off and remove battery from my old phone, a Blackberry. So did that, then did a hard reboot on the Charge--still no happiness in connecting and activating. So, I called Amazone Wireless and the Customer Service rep was simply outstanding. He told me no problem, and called Verizon for me to make sure everything was right on their end and after one more restart, instant success - and this was at about 8pm at night. Amazon also automatically came through with the $15.00 of credits, as promised,in their various online stores.

All I can say, is, if you can read and follow directions, you will have no problem getting your phone from Amazon and setting it up yourself. Even if you miss a step, as I did. After my initial experience dealing with Amazon Wireless Customer service, I feel confident that if I need anything else from them, they will come through. In fact, the customer service was SO much better than I've had from a Verizon employee for the past few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, June 17, 2011
Samsung Droid Charge is awesome!! Beautiful screen, light weight, good battery life, amazing 8mp camera oh and 4G LTE!! I get an average of 15.34mbs download speed and 6.47mbs upload speed with Verizon true 4G network.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Phone EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, January 5, 2012
I have had this phone for almost 6 months and it is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dropped calls, screeching noises that are almost unbearable, no battery life etc. What a waste of money! I've tried to resolve these problems for months. I'm now on my second replacement and still have the same problems. Verizon said it is a manufacturing problem. Thanks a lot Samsung.

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS PHONE, BUT. . ., July 10, 2011
I am a moderate user (I could be a heavy user, but barely brave enough to use the phone moderately! - More on this later). I like to check email, surf the net, download, upload, text, send messages, you name it (not much of a talker on the phone - but still important - it IS a phone!).

I LOVE this phone for the following reasons:

1. Absolutely user friendly
2. Fantastic call clarity - sometimes the person on the other end sounds like they are literally sitting on the ledge of my ear lobe and talking right in there. Crystal clear!
2b. No background noise or hiss (white noise) whatsoever on a call.
3. Even when I am on one bar signal strength - the call will not falter! Have not tried calling with a single bar.
4. Very intuitive typing - about 90% of the time, it correctly guesses the word (Had an HTC Inspire briefly - words always wrong!)
5. Touch screen is just sensitive enough so that when you move it or hover near it, it doesn't just launch off into something (HTC Inspire - you couldn't even tip it or apply pressure to the sides as in picking it up without it changing your whole display or opening up something.). Yet when you need it to be responsive - it is johnny-on-the-spot.
6. Great built in app manager
7. Highly customizable with a fantastic offering of Android Market apps.
8. Easy to hold and manipulate.
9. Absolutely beautiful and vibrant graphics - even on a 30% brightness setting. The full setting actually hurt my eyes!
10. Pretty descent speaker.

Now, What I DESPISE about this phone!!:

1. The battery life is absolutely hideous! Even when I leave the phone to sit on my desk - I have no battery life (or barely) by the end of my work day (unplug 6AM, leave work at 5PM). Maybe I am missing something - but these reports of 10 or 12 hours without a charge by other users must be by those who don't turn the phone on at all. LOL! j/k. But, seriously, if the Charge has the better battery life of the 4G SP's - I am truly scared to see how bad the Thunderbolt is (it is reportedly markedly worse)!

2. I don't like the plasticky feel of the phone (HTC's feel MUCH better constructed) - but I can live with that. The battery life is my biggest gripe.

3. Size. The HTC models definitely beat the Samsung Droid Charge on this one - this almost qualifies as HUGE!

As you can see my pros far out paced my cons. But even the cons have descent work-arounds. You can get great inductive charging covers/pads, or portable power packs, or an extra charger, or an extended battery (if you like the bulk) to manage your power needs. Smart phones in general have bad battery ratings - accept for the iPhone. As far as the plasticky feel of the construction - a nice phone cover takes care of that problem. You forget you had the issue!
In short - this phone is worthy of your consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone - Stunning Display and 4G performance, June 17, 2011
I have had the Droid Charge for a week now. One of the most impressive features is the Super Amoled Plus display - on auto-brightness level - the display is beautiful and adjusts well to all ambient lighting levels. Sometimes, just to show it off, I'll take it off of auto-level and crank it up to full brightness just to blow people away. The clarity, contrast ratio, color fidelity - everything is incredibly good. It is at this time, the most stunning display in it's size class in the world. And yes, you can read it in direct sunlight.

The User interface is also excellent - animation rates are good. swipe scrolling is very smooth - my iphone co-workers now say that the UI is just up to par with their iPhones (they still think the iPhone scrolling is slightly smoother - but no longer enough that they think it's a discriminator).

The 4G performance is also incredible. In both the Anaheim area (down to Irvine) and east San Gabriel Valley areas, I typically measure mid-teens (~16Mbps) down and 7-10Mbps up. I was blown away yesterday morning when I got a speed test result in Tustin, CA of 26Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Had to run the test twice to confirm! . These numbers are better than my FIOS service!

Only downside is, yes, the battery life. In my first day of playing with it heavily - I wiped out the battery by early afternoon. Probably being a new battery didn't help. After a week, I'm typically down to one bar by 5-6pm (still playing with it a Lot). So, I bought a dock for my desk at work, a mount/charger for my car, and another dock for my desk at home. Problem solved. I also bought an extra battery - mainly for a travel backup.

So all-in-all - I am extremely happy with this phone. At this time, the trade-off seemed to be between a Verizon droid with dual 1Ghz processors and 3G, or a 1Ghz processor with 4G and the Super AMOLED Display. I believe the 4G performance and stunning display far outweigh the dual processor. Of course, it won't be long, I'm sure, before somebody will have both 4G and the dual-processor - but Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus display is going to be a tough act to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid phone for those who want the Galaxy S2, but can't have it, May 29, 2011
I was dying for the Samsung Galaxy S II, but reading online it doesn't look like thats coming to the US until at least this fall, if not later. I have been using and iPhone 4 with ATT, but I am so tired of not being able to use my phone because ATT charges $25 for 2 measly GB of data. Also I desired to go back to Android since it is a much more useful phone os.

So I saw the Droid charge was coming out, and I do love Verizons network, and I kept hearing about how amazing LTE is and that this is the future. So I went and played with the Thunderbolt, which was awful, the screen is ugly, the phone is extremely chunky and heavy, and it was just all around bad. Then next to it was this beautiful screen, and it was the Droid Charge. This is the same screen as the Galaxy S II, and the same Camera as well. The phone is great, I actually really like the design, its like a Lamborghini and a Transformer had a phone baby.

Sure Toughwiz is ugly, but all you need to do is download Launcher Pro and things are all good from there. The phone is fast enough, though not as amazing as the dual core offerings right now. Only problem is there is no good dual core phone on a network with a good fast unlimited internet service. So in my opinion, at the moment, for the all around package, the Droid Charge is king.

Also now I am on Verizon with unlimited LTE, so when Apple decides to make a phone with at least a 4" screen and a less childlike OS and adds LTE, I will be all set to jump back into an iPhone.

Or if and when the S II comes to Verizon maybe I will sell my Charge and grab one of those, because that is truly the king of phones right now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, August 20, 2011
I've been using the Droid Charge for 2 months and I am disappointed. I consider myself a power user. My previous phone was the HTC G2. I'll keep it succinct.

First the positives:

1. Gorgeous Super Amoled+ screen.
2. Excellent camera/video capture.

Now the negatives:

1. Processor/Ram feels under-powered. The phone often lags or feels slow. This phone would have been much better served by a dual core CPU or more RAM.
2. The GPS is terrible. This is my second Samsung phone that takes a while to find the satellites (I briefly owned the first generation Galaxy). Compared to my previous phone (G2), the GPS performance almost borders on unacceptable.
3. Terrible network switching. Since I live in NYC, I'm often going in and out of the subway. The Charge often takes way too long to find either a 3G or 4G signal. I sometimes turn off and on the wireless to speed it up. Again, not acceptable.
4. Charging the phone takes FOREVER. It's mystifying considering the phone's name.
5. Wi-Fi antenna not as sensitive as my previous phone. This is not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

There you have it folks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire the product manager, September 4, 2011
Bjorn E (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Seriously - there are so huge deficiencies here that someone for sure hasn't been doing their job. Did the people at Samsung actually try this phone before they started selling it?

If they had, here are some examples of obvious deficiencies they would have caught:

*) It is using auto completion when you are typing in the names of your contacts. For example: you try to find the phone number of Mathias but it _won't let you_ type that, and instead suggests something totally off.

*) The GPS is really bad. If often puts you on the wrong street or in the wrong neigborhood when my wife's phone puts you right on the spot.

*) It takes an absurd number of clicks to make phone calls. This is really dangerous if you have to make one from your car.

*) You can't turn the screen off while in camera mode. That means you can never be standby to take shots because it takes half a minute to turn the camera on.

These are just a few examples. This phone is just a really clunky and unfinished user experience. Avoid!

(But yeah, the 4G is fast. Faster than the WiFi in my office actually)

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst phone ever, April 23, 2013
The battery life is awful. It only lasts a couple of hours. The phone freezes all the time. The only way to get it restarted is to turn the power off and restart it. I would give it 0 stars, if that was possible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good internet device; terrible phone, August 18, 2012
If you need a device to do things on the web with 4g, this is an OK device.

If you need a phone (particularly if you're using it for business), don't trade in your flip phone.

This thing drops calls, CONSTANTLY drops audio, mis-dials, does stupid things with your contact list (like moving contacts around randomly), etc.

Truly a piece of crap (as a telephone).

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›