4.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery Life/Pretty Good Phone too!!
I've been watching the HTC Thunderbolt 4G phone and finally gave up on it due to all the bugs and horrible battery life. So after reading several reviews on the Samsung Droid Charge, I decided to take the plunge. Here's how my first few days with the new phone went - the good and the bad. First some qualifiers - I live in the Maryland suburbs outside DC where there is...
Published on May 18, 2011 by Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars Feedback
I just upgraded my Blackberry Storm to the Droid Charge. I like the phone. The battery life is much better than the Droid X or Droid 2, similar to the storm. Screen display is awesome; there are some quirks when it appears to have a mind of its own. My dislikes, dropped calls and spotty reception. I still carry my Blackberry with me and compare signal strengths and the...
Published on May 28, 2011 by William Powers

‹ Previous | 15 6 718 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Another bad phone, June 16, 2012
This review is from: Samsung DROID CHARGE 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone as a replacement for my HTC Incredible 2.

This phone is not as bad as the HTC, but it does have its own problems.

1.) Battery life is bad. 4g is more battery intensive, but it's still annoying when your phone is always needing a charge, and a car charger barely keeps it at the current level let alone charging it.

2.) phone "forgets" my ringtones. Weird, because if I have an MP3 as a default ringer, it will still play that, though not the custom tone I have set for a contact.

3.) Interface, holy crap is it slow, it takes forever to bring up the app list, phone, contacts, or even return to home screen.

4.) Music app is horrible.

5.) Memory usage is terrible. Why would a phone running higher than android 2.0 have to include a factory task killer? Oh, because it sucks at managing memory.

6.) the default weatherbug clock/weather widget does not have the option to show a digital clock. I know, small complaint, but why the heck isn't that an option? If I want a digital clock and a weather widget, I have to install 2 additional apps on the phone? every other manufacturer has a digital clock with weather, it's like including a rotary dial for the phone.

Really wish I kept my original droidx.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Phone Ever, May 7, 2012
Matt A. Gordon (Amherst, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Like the title says, this is the worst phone I have ever had the displeasure of using. When the phone isn't freezing or rebooting, it is busy overheating and draining the battery, so that you need to plug it in by 2pm. Did I mention that the user interface is slow and laggy with apps that crash all the time? Thankfully, when my phone finally received it's OTA upgrade to Gingerbread, the boot time was cut from 4 minutes to 1 minute, which is really handy since the phone needs to reboot so frequently. See Verizon's forum for all of the other problems with this phone: [...]. I can't believe Verizon and Samsung would actually let this miserable phone fall into the hands of consumers.

On the plus side, at least the screen is pretty and 4G data is fast...when the phone is working.

2.0 out of 5 stars The screen is nice, December 31, 2011
Alicyn (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I have been counting down the days till I can upgrade this horrible phone. I live in the DC area so our connection is decent. The only way I have ever gotten a full day out of a charge is if I spend the day on a wireless connection. I watch the battery die so fast that it can go before noon if I'm not careful. I have my little portable external battery to get me past times when I can't be charging it.

The other thing is it's slow, slow to load aps, sometimes the key board freezes and is slow to respond. I have to reboot it almost every day. I am on the second battery and the second phone since I got this phone last Spring.

When I launch the Gmail app it takes forever to load the new emails (my old original Motorola Droid was much faster).

I'm also frustrated with how the satellite cannot find me when it's raining. I mean every single time it rains I can't use the satellite navigation.

It has another fun thing it does when I make a call that requires entering numbers like say, calling the bank. I get a few numbers in, then the key pad goes black, then it comes back, but won't take the numbers. Finally the computer is asking me to enter the numbers again. I have to go to a landline for these types of calls. They replaced my old phone for this issue, and now the new one does it. The screen freezes frequently, where it just won't respond and I have to restart it.

A little about how I use the phone
I don't play games, I don't watch videos.

I check my email, I check FB, I text and I take pictures. Sometimes I hit the web or do a google search, or use the navigation feature. We're not talking heavy user here.

My friends all make fun of me for my phone always dying or freezing. It happens so often that I can no longer defend it, and I am constantly being teased about how horrible my phone is.

The only pros I can think of is the screen is beautiful and the call quality is great. It does take nice photos too.

Come Jan 2013 I'm getting a Motorola Droid again.

1.0 out of 5 stars A penny is still too much for this quality control nightmare, December 13, 2011
Pros:
4g
makes phone calls

Cons:
quality control issues (replaced this phone 3 times due to issues - each phone had similar issues)
randomly reboots itself
GPS takes literally 10 minutes to connect if ever
must reboot several times a day due to various malfunctions

I don't have many goods things to say about a device with a pricetag like this one has - there is no excuse for it to be this poor quality of a device.

The phone verizon eventually replaced this with after 3 or 4 bad charges - is the Droid Bionic - which is a pretty awesome, solid phone.

Samsung doesn't usually disappoint me when it comes to monitors, tv's and the like but, I'm crossing them off the list of smart phones I would consider.

Motorolla and HTC are the brands I would look for in a non-iphone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the worst smart Phone, November 29, 2011
I have used several cell phones including other android and I Phones. But this phone is the worst.
1 Battery very bad: do not believe if somebody says battery life is great, if you use for 3-4 hrs intermittently , battery is gone and once the battery is on yellow mode you can hardly use any other features but calling

2 Screen display: they boast of amoled but what kind of amoled once you are out in the sun light you can hardly see anythin on the screen, nothing is visible on screen in the day light

3 Phone hangs up invariably every 2-3 days

4 yesterday all my contacts were deleted from the phone , reason still unknown to

I own this phone for almost a month now and i am writing this review not in any hurry, i have used the phone and know what are the real faults .

camera: it boasts of 8mp camera but i dont think its of any use if all the photos and photographs taken have a yellowish background to everything

Sincere advise do not buy this phone

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG what a giant POS!!!!!!, November 21, 2011
Unfortunately I signed a 2 year contract to get this phone. I went in to the verizon store and asked for the latest greatest. This is the phone they suggested. I had the first one replaced under warranty. The second isn't much better. I have so many complaints, I don't know where to begin. I actually miss my blackberry. The most basic functionality is a problem. It's great for games and video but I use my phone for work. For some reason it won't remember my email password. After trying to download my emails for sometimes hours it finally gives up and gives me a message that I need to re-enter my password. When trying to retreive my voice mails, it won't let me dial my PIN unless the phone is sitting on a hard flat surface. After one digit the screen goes black. I shake the phone to light it up again but it says incorrect password. After 3 tries it says I made too many attempts and cuts me off. When I dial it back I have to listen to a message about how somebody has made several attempts to access my voicemail and it recites my own cell phone number!!!! I want to kill myself!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, out of date software, October 1, 2011
Praty (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I updated from motorola droid: the hardware on this phone is far superior
The good
-> Super AMOLED screen is great
-> phone is reasonably faster
-> In NYC, the voice and data quality is great
-> 4G tethering is very fast

The not so good
-> Verizon has crippled the phone with out of date software. This phone does not have gingerbread even a year after it was released to the rest of the world. I guess they like spending the $$ on marketing rather than updating good phones. Unlike apple, samsung has allowed them to fiddle with software, and this out of date software is the unfortunate outcome
-> poor battery life because of old software: the outdated software causes the fully charged phone to drain in 8 hours if you are running apps (I have 8 or so apps running: facebook, latitude, etc), Battery dies in 2 hours of google maps gps navigation.
->Phone is bloated with verizon ware such as "verizon navigator" which you cannot remove
-> Skype front camera not available with out of date android software

Verizon has no ETA for software release. I do not recommend the phone with the old software. It cannot compete with iphone 5 (slated for oct 5 release) with this old software.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underpowered, September 13, 2011
This is a beautiful phone -- works great and I agree with the glowing reviews, except:

#1 -- It's underpowered, in that the battery doesn't keep it running all day, or even for 12 hours. Yes, I am a heavy user, using wi-fi, 4g, Lookout, but, still, I seem to be getting only about 6 hours without the need for a charge. This is notably larger and heavier than my Samsung Vibrant (on which the USB port broke 1 month after warranty ran out, but I digress), so it seems likely they could have further beefed up the battery. On my Vibrant, I could have added one of those fat backs for a bigger batter, and it would have seemed OK. Adding that to the back of my bigger, heavier Charge Droid would be too much.

#2 -- It's underpowered, in that the processor can't keep up with the apps. The nightmare is receiving a call, with the phone vibrating, but too it is too busy doing some !@#$%^&*! other thing to allow me to actually answer the call. I had to root my Vibrant, to flash a better Android, to stop that problem. I thought surely, with Samsung having another year to develop phones, this would never happen with my Charge Droid. I did root the Charge Droid, so I could freeze the bloatware, and figured that would be enough, but the 3rd call I got I could not answer. So, I flashed a new Android, and now it's lovely. Flashing the phone took me hours to figure out how to do (then, finally, doing it was relatively quick and easy). If you want a full featured phone, but don't plan to root & flash, I'd recommend you get either an iphone, or something with a dual processor.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!, August 31, 2011
I am enjoying my new Droid Charge. Being a bit of a novice with smartphones I thought the 4G LTE sim card was the same as the SD card that comes preloaded on the phone. Well, inadvertantly , I had a slight problem with one of the cards and my problem was resolved very quickly and beyond my expectations, so hats off to Amazon Wireless customer service. I will continue to do business here ( oh yeah, prices are great too !! )

2.0 out of 5 stars OK phone, nice internet, but no CS from Samsung, August 12, 2011
Vampire Reader 5 "VR5" (California, United States) - See all my reviews
There are several sections to review about this phone: The phone and call quality, the Internet, and Media Hub.

I bought my first Samsung Charge about 6 weeks ago and already needed a replacement. The first one started acting up soon after I got it. It would "chirp" every few seconds during calls. I could hear this, but the other person I was talking to couldn't. Then, the sound would drop from the call even though the call itself still seemed in progress. The phone was still counting the time, but either I couldn't hear the other person, the other person couldn't hear me, or neither of us could hear the other. I would have to press End Call at this point. I would try to call back but still couldn't hear the phone ringing or the other person answer even though I know it rang at the other person's phone as they would text and ask what was going on. I finally turned it off and pulled the battery out for 30 seconds to reset the phone. I called my carrier (Verizon), and they had me reset the phone back to factory defaults. This briefly fixed the problem but the "chirping" returned, then the dropped sound returned. Verizon has since given me a replacement which I have used for about 5 days. So far, so good. However, the call quality of this high-end phone doesn't seem to be much better than my previous phone, the LG Chocolate. (See other 1-star reviews about the sound dropping out.)

The Internet and some of the apps are quite fun. I like that I can download and surf using WiFi or 4G. The WiFi doesn't cut into my data package, which is nice to know even though I have unlimited data at this time. The phone doesn't always stay on 4G, though, sometimes going to 3G. This doesn't always depend on the area as I have had it go from 4G to 3G in the same room in my house. I have only had an issue with one website that streams video as this site says my "platform" cannot handle the streaming from their site. Others, however, have worked fine. I stream some TV shows from sites like TBS.com, and they are fairly smooth with only a few streaming/buffering problems here and there. But, overall, not bad for a little phone. I have had other people look at the screen and think the picture is great, but I think it is decent, so this could be debated, but the picture is still decent to very good depending on what you are streaming or playing.

Now, for the ugly: Media Hub. BEWARE OF THIS PROGRAM. This program came with the phone and is used for purchasing movies and TV shows from Samsung. I had a $25 gift card that I redeemed and downloaded my first movie for $9.99. This worked fine with no problems. I went to purchase another movie for $9.99. This movie will not download even though Samsung took the $9.99 for it. I called them, and they said someone would call in 24-48 hours. When I finally got a call, I was told to reset Media Hub and call back if I couldn't download the movie. I couldn't, so I called them back. They said someone checked it, and the movie file is fine. I told them it downloads 533 MB out of 815 MB, stalls, then restarts the download. I asked for a refund so I could try another movie. I was told that now, since I am asking for a refund, I'd get a call in 4-5 business days! I never got that call. I have e-mailed them. Their response e-mails tell me to call. I call and am told someone will call back in 24-48 hours! This has been going on for 4 weeks now. It is obvious at this point Samsung has no intention of refunding my $9.99 they stole from me through their Media Hub. My last e-mail told them that they lost a customer over $9.99. They responded by thanking me for being a loyal customer! That just shows that they don't read e-mails or listen to customers. I was thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab, but after this, I know that there would be absolutely no customer support should I have a problem with it, so I'll go elsewhere for any electronics in the future. Samsung's customer service number should be 1-800-DO-NOTHING!

Final advice: If you can wait until the 4G phone issues are worked out, I'd advise that. After I got my phone, I was told that 4G is still new technology with new technology bugs, so I'd advise waiting for the phones to come up to speed. Then, I'd advise you to look elsewhere for a phone. Your carrier might help with physical phone issues, but don't count on any help from Samsung - you'll be on your own.

Edit: I've called Samsung since approximately 7/12/11 regarding the Media Hub issue. As of 8/23/11, they finally reimbursed me for the $9.99 movie that didn't download. I will say, they gave me a $25 credit instead of just $9.99.

‹ Previous | 15 6 718 | Next ›