4.0 out of 5 stars dvd - vcr combo test
I recently purchased DVD-V2000 Samsung combo unit. After having read both the good and the bad reviews, here is my experience.
The look - excellent. The unit fits perfectly with either black or silver TV's, stereos, etc.
Published on July 17, 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - probable design defect
Published on July 31, 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars dvd - vcr combo test, July 17, 2002
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
VCR - as good as it gets. It is significantly better than other models and Samsung DVD 1000. Make sure you have a good TV signal and use decent VHS tapes for recording and play back and you will be surprised. I played back my old tapes with better quality than I thought would be possible. The drive is unexpectaby quiet and fast. This, if stand alone, would be an above average quality VCR. S VHS tapes played back are at 90% of the DVD quality, at least.
DVD - it does play back anything stored on a disc, except SVCD's that are not common here. The sound is excellent, the output stable in all the cases, the drive very quiet and reliable. It plays back even those files Samsung claims it could not. DVD menu is simple and easy to use, same with CD's and MP3's. If you want decent sound, it is not recommended to rely on your TV set's speakers - use a receiver or stereo. DVD trully utilizes full NTSC TV resolution and 16:9 aspect picture is just perfect.
I thoroughly tested DVD about possible pixelation and track change problems. Although I did not experience this problem, I found it to be possibly associated with the condition of DVD's, not with the unit itself (tested more DVD's on the computer and other player). I don't recommend to purchase the unit unless you can exchange it in case something is wrong. This sometimes happens and it's not really a big issue.
Remote is very easy to use and it does effectively replace 3 others(separate VCR, TV, DVD).
The inital setup is great - touch nothing, the unit does it all.
In general, this is one of the best solutions until HDTV and digital recording become widely used. Even then, I'd rather use the computer for the ultimate quality (new SRS processor for the natural surround sound and high display resolution).
For the money, you can hardly find anything better on market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - probable design defect, July 31, 2002
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I received the V-2000 as a gift. The first unit I had performed well for a few days. Then, when a DVD disc was about halfway through, the picture would freeze for about 3-5 seconds and then continue. It would do this every 30 seconds or so! Very annoying. It was not the disc because the freezing would occur on any disc I tried. We exchanged the unit for another. After about a week, we had the same problem. I talked to Samsung and they admited that they have been getting a lot of calls about this problem and all but conceded that there may be a problem with the model. We exchanged the unit for the Panasonic 4762 which in my opinion is a better product anyway. The place we purchased these from (a national electronics dealer) also said that many of the Samsungs were coming back. Choose something different!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some problems, but I like it., November 13, 2002
Jon G. Purkey "jpurkey" (Chantilly, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I purchased this unit about six months ago. My VCR was on its last leg, I wanted a DVD player and I also had limited space. So a VCR/DVD combo was perfect for me.
Overall, I've been happy with it.
Some pros:
- About the same size as a VCR (a tiny bit smaller than my old VCR, actually) so it doesn't take up much room.
- The VCR and DVD player have separate tuners, so you can watch a DVD while recording something else.
- Both the VCR and DVD have the usual assortment of features such as slow motion, search, etc.
- The VCR has an easy to use shuttle feature which lets you view the video at -7x/21x(EP), -5x/15x, -3x/9x, (normal), +2x, +3x/9x, +5x/15x and +7x/21x. (I Only wish they had done the same for the DVD)
- The DVD options other than speed search (see cons below) are easy to use and convienient.
Some cons:
- Controlling the VCR and DVD require you to press different buttons on the remote. I really wish they had intergrated them together better so that the same keys are used for the same options.
- The speed search on the DVD requires you to press and hold for a few seconds the same buttons that are used for chapter advance/rewind. So if your finger slips, something blocks the IR signal during that time or the batteries are weak then the unit may interpet it as a chapeter change when you don't want it.
- The volume gets muted when you are in the menus or are setting a timer recording. I find this annoying since I sometimes like to program the VCR while watching another program. I either have to wait until a commercial or miss something.
- The DVD palyer (as others have said) sometimes starts to skip. I find this happens after about 90 minutes of watching a DVD. But I've also found that turning the unit off and back on will fix the problem. Since I usually don't watch an entire movie at once (or the movies I watch are under 90 minutes) this has not been a big problem for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy-to-use DVD-VHS player, October 18, 2002
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I recently purchased the Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VHS for my dad and I wasn't sure what to expect. He is 72 and has a big VHS collection that he doesn't want to give up and he also has started buying DVDs. He is not a big gadget fan so I started looking for a unit that had the fewest number of control buttons and was the easiest to operate.
After looking at several other manufacturers and models, including those that were significantly more expensive that this one, I chose the Samsung DVD-V2000, and both my dad and I are very happy with it. This unit is super easy to operate. There are two buttons in front that allow you to play either VHS or DVD. Then another bank of buttons for play, fast forward, back, pause, and rewind. That's it. It has to be one of the easiest to use DVD-VHS units on the market. I was also pleased with the picture quality of the DVDs, VCDs and VHS tapes that I played on it.
The only downside that I found is the Samsung DVD-V2000 will only play the standard movie DVD and DVD-R formats. It does not support the DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+RAM formats. So if you have a DVD burner that only uses the DVD+RW and DVD+R formats, like I do, you won't be able to play them in this unit. Still, for most people this shouldn't be a problem. ...Overall, it's a great unit if you are looking for something that is easy to use and without a lot of bells and whistles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung DVD/VCR/MP3 combo Unit, April 28, 2002
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I absolutely love the Samsung DVD-2000 player !!
It is so easy to connect to your TV.... it combines so many different functions into one unit. You can use it to play DVD's, to play and record VHS tapes, to listen to CD's in a variety of formats including my own CD's recorded on my iBook in MP3 format.
We love the DVD-2000 so much that we just ordered a second unit to put in our camper for times when we're traveling away from home.
It's an attractive, multi-functional, easy to use player that anyone would enjoy owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the whiners - this is NOT a noisy unit!, January 2, 2003
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
Either people have REAL sensative hearing, or do not like Samsung, or they are reviewing the WRONG piece of equipment.
I am here to tell you that this machine is fabulous. I connected the cable to it and plugged it into the wall. After a few minutes, the time was configured and the channels were programmed. I didn't do a thing!
The VCR plays SVHS tapes. It's NOT noisy AT ALL except for rewind. But, I rewound a 2 hour tape from the end and in about 10 seconds, it was done! But, playback and recording are NOT noisy and are quiet. These people must be muting their sets because I cannot for the life of me hear the noise from either the DVD player nor the VCR WHILE a tape or DVD is playing.
Yes, there are some clicking noises from the DVD as it loads up, but so what? Sheesh. Picky, picky, picky. After the movie starts, I don't hear a thing. Heck, the volume from my TV drowns out any noises that it might create. This is as bad as some reviews that stated a machines noise drowned out jets taking off from the airport nearby. I think that's going a little overboard.
The programmable tape functions are great. Daily (Mon-Fri), Weekly (Suns thru Sats), 8 events for up to a month in advance, setting each program to a different taping speed. This unit has most of what I need.
It's DTS compatible, Dolby Digital Surround and for those like me that do not have a decoder, the Virtual 3D sound works fine and gives a pretty fair rendering of surround sound.
The picture from the DVD and the VCR is crisp and sharp, and the colors are great.
Audio inputs are on both the front and back. Audio outputs are on the back, with composite video, S-Video and Component outputs available. That pretty much guarantees a rare connection failure. Heck, the DVD output can go out through the coaxial cable TV out so that you don't have to have an RF Modulater for TVs that do NOT contain RCA input plugs.
You can watch a DVD WHILE recording a show on the VCR.
The remote can be programmed for the more popular brands of TVs out there. I had no problems with getting my RCA TV programmed into the remote.
For those that are complaining, I would take those with a grain of salt. No noise, no tapes being eaten and I've even played audio CDs and MP3s with no problems. The only problem I DID run into was right after I put in a CD-R with MP3's on it (which it automatically found and started playing), once I started to play back DVDs, they wouldn't work well at all. I turned the unit off and then back on and the DVD's worked fine. But, I don't see myself using this as an MP3 player anyways.
VCDs seemed to work sporatically, but again, I don't really care too much about those. DVDs are the main thing as well as VHS tapes for my children.
Overall, an excellent buy. Better than the HIFI JVC VHS machine I bought along with it for the upstairs family room. That went back.
This is a great machine for the money. Get it.

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD/VCR combo technology is far from being perfected, June 5, 2002
Laurel (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
The unit is definitely exceptional when it comes to being eye candy and it's considerably convienient for people like me who can't stand clutter. When I had the DVD/VCR hooked up to my big screen entertainment center, I had very little complaints other than the remote is complicated and the process can be frustrating. It also worked well with my Adelphia Digital Cable. Then I made the mistake of hooking it up to my bedroom television (A new Philips 32 inch flat screen) and it's been a disaster. I never noticed how incredibly loud and annoying the sound that this combo emits when hooked up to a smaller television. Even on the highest volume, the sound is dull and the unit actually hums. It's not the TV because when I watch cable, the sound is crystal clear. I tried cleaning the CD lens with one of those disc cleaners many times but to no avail. Also, various repairmen have claimed that it's just the product's quality and not a defect. I hooked it up to a few other high quality TVs around the house (ranging from 19 inches to 53 inches) and the sound doesn't waver...it's a nightmare.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major problems with this product, November 23, 2002
Jonathan Rath (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I have a love-hate relationship with this product. I love the features and the style, but the quality of the DVD leaves a lot to be desired. The image stalls, freezes or flutters when playing a DVD. Very annoying and unwatchable. So figuring it was a defective unit I returned it and got another. Same problem. I tried connecting it through S-Video cable instead of RCA Cables. Same problem. Returned the unit, and after a lot of soul searching bought the same unit for the third time...After all, they couldn't all be bad. WRONG. Another bad unit. It's going back today, and I'll be buying another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars techno geek, August 29, 2002
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I love this unit!! I have not had one issue with the unit! The only upgrade I could make is to hold more than one DVD. I have had the unit for about 3 months, I have played DVD's - never had a problem with it skipping as mentioned in the other reviews, I have recorded on the VCR side and have had very high resolution - no grainy pictures (I do have a Sony trinitron - so that may help). Overall, I am considering buying another of these units for another part of my house!!

2.0 out of 5 stars problematic DVD playback, July 10, 2002
Mark Fountain (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo (Electronics)
I ended up taking back three of these machines (which I regret, because I really wanted to save space with a two-in-one unit). Each one had the same problem, intermittent stuttering and pixilization. It didn't happen a great deal, but not one single DVD would play all the way through without errors. CD's played fine, the VHS unit was very nice -- but the DVD playback was an irritation. A service tech tried to play the "it's not a bug it's a feature" game, saying it had something to do with new Macrovision encoding to protect against piracy. Whether he was blowing smoke, or on to something, I do not know. All I know is that all three went back.

Samsung DVD-V2000 DVD-VCR Combo