4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, uncluttered remote.
Published on December 1, 2006 by Tiver

1.0 out of 5 stars Skips and Freezes
Published on June 23, 2006 by J. Suber

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, uncluttered remote., December 1, 2006
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
I didn't get this player for the DivX capability, I mostly got it to be a good player for vhs and dvd and it has been doing those well. I tried out a variety of DivX/XviD files and all the ones I tried worked fine. Though most of the ones I tried had more standard resolutions, usually 640x480 or 640x360. Seeking through the DivX files worked suprisingly smoother than I thought it would. 2x seek was just a playback at faster speed with no audio, 4x and faster was more of frame jumping but it still worked pretty well, plus the normal chapter jump buttons would move forward/back 5 minutes.

I rather liked the remote as it was fairly simple. There aren't a whole lot of buttons, and most of the more complex toggles and controls are in a menu system. I much prefer this over my previous VCR which had way too many buttons, far too many of which if bumped accidentally could screw things up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Skips and Freezes, June 23, 2006
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
This player will not play my Sony brand DVD-R's. It loads and tries to play but skips a lot. I did get a Memorex DVD+R to play. Samsung's tech support told me when it comes to playing burned DVD's it all depends on "What program you use to burn disks, the brand of disk and what format you are using." Wow...I just want to put a disk in and have it play. I have a $25 cheapo that plays all formats. For $100 you can do better than this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't Play Most Burned Discs, June 14, 2006
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
Main reason I bought this: divx and xvid playback. This player cannot play most burned discs, and even the ones that it will load, it won't play all the files. I tried DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. I tried multiple brands of each. The only brand it would play were some cheapy DVD+R's. It would list all 12 files on the disc. Each file was the same...652x324 DiVx, pretty much the same size, but this player would only play the first FOUR files...it choked on anything else. I would not recommend this if you're going to be using a lot of burned media.

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than expected from Samsung, August 12, 2006
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
The display does not show seconds of a tape/disk position, the remote control is not well design and looks and feels cheaply including small and not well located buttons, and the quality of workmanship leaves to wish. But, the 4 Head Hi-Fi VCR plays back and records on VHS tapes very well, and the DVD player plays superbly DVD discs including DVD-R, DVD+R, as well as VCD and SVCD discs all burned on both typical computer Toshiba and LG writers using generic, Maxell,... blanks under Nero, DVD Decrypter, 1 Click DVD Copy, Power Producer, unless rarely an *.IFO file is messed up. The quality of Dolby Surround compatible sound and picture with the added visual clarity of Progressive scan is excellent in any of the formats: MP3, JPEG, WMA playback, DivX. The available Coaxial, Composite video, S-video connection options are typical. Layout of keys and buttons is well designed, and their size is appropriate - simple and clear. There is a 7-event/1-month recording timer, and also one-touch recording to activate 30-minutes of recording time per button push on the remote control.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Do It!, February 12, 2007
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
I bought the Samsung DVD V5650 as a Christmas present and by February I was told that the VCR did not work. I was appalled. Not even two months and the d*$mn thing was not working. I tried to rectify the situation and found out that the place that shipped it to me, J&R Music World, has a horrible user UNFRIENDLY policy. You need to have the carton, All packaging materials, inserts, manuals, warranty card (not filled out) and all accessories for a 30 day minimum in the event of a need to return this product. So, I did not make the 30 day cut off and had to deal with Samsung. The first customer service rep was sooooooooo slow and clueless. The 2nd rep informed me that I had to send the machine back for REPAIR?! Repair?! They should be sending me a new one. I just bought it and it does not work! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.... I am off to the post office (Yuck!) to send it for SERVICE. I am so LIVID right now.

1.0 out of 5 stars A piece of junk, February 24, 2007
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
I bought this in November and am deeply disappointed. The VCR did not work, it played sound, but no picture. The DVD player displayed subtitles no matter what I did. After several torturous hours with the Samsung customer service, they finally agreed I had a problem and had me mail it back to them (at my expense). I received the same machine back, and nothing was fixed.

I refuse to argue with the Samsung customer service people again, I am junking this machine,

1.0 out of 5 stars Not user friendly at all!, January 28, 2007
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
We bought this DVD/VCR unit to conserver space on our cluttered entertainment center. When I got it hooked up, I tried to play Christmas Story because we got it for Christmas and I thought what better movie to test out our new media player. Well, Christmas Story wouldn't play! This was not a "burned" version of Christmas Story, this was the full retail version.

A couple days later, I tried to play it again and I got the same black screen. I went outside for a few minutes came back and magically the movie was playing. This seems to be the only DVD that has an issue of playing right away but at least it finally worked.

The remote control does not have volume control or a flash back button, which by today's standards are three essential buttons for a remote!

The last issue I had with this was the most frustrating of all, and that has to do with scanning channels from the cable anntanae. Basically, I had to manually input every channel I wanted for the remote control to work. Now I only get about 90 channels, but for someone that has direct TV or a satellite, forget about it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Quality, Very Disappointed, June 14, 2007
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
I purchased this Samsung DVD-VCR combo in March of 2006. It worked flawlessly, until a year later. Now most vhs tapes won't play (constant lines, sound goes in and out and tracking doesn't work), and now the dvd has quit working. It will only play certain dvd's, for most others (especially ones by Universal) it makes this horrible sound while trying to read the disc, and eventually, a screen comes up saying "dvd is not playable- please check disc". I have checked the discs that are so-called "unplayable" on my stand-alone dvd player, my computer dvd player and even on my portable dvd player, and the discs worked fine in all 3 machines.

The best word to describe this piece of electronics is junk- pure junk. I thought Samsung would be reliable, as I had purchased a Samsung tv many years ago that still works! It's sad that the quality of today's electronic products are getting worse and worse. I will be replacing this thing- and dumping it in the trash. It's not even worth giving to Good Will!

2.0 out of 5 stars I was underwhelmed with this product, February 5, 2007
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
I bought this DVD/VCR combo a little over 2 years ago, and I really liked the idea of a combo unit because I have a decent collection of both VHS and DVD movies.

For the first year or so I was very pleased with the product. But then, when I tried to switch from the VCR function to the DVD player function, nothing happened. For some reason the DVD function had failed, and now I had a unit that was effectively only a VCR. I couldn't use the clock feature either because that was controlled by the DVD side of the unit. At the time I had a Playstation 2 so I could still watch DVDs, but I've since gotten rid of that.

I took it in to a local home electronics repair shop, and the estimate to get the DVD side repaired was $340!! I'm going to take that money and buy myself a better quality DVD/VCR combo.

Buyer beware!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung DVD/VCR doesn't play DVDs well, January 24, 2007
This review is from: Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo (Electronics)
Bought this unit mostly to replace an old VCR, but was happy to have the DVD player built in. We have noticed that MOST DVDs (rented from Netflix or Blockbuster) won't play at all. The screen shows "loading...." and simply stays there. It plays less than 1/4 of the DVDs inserted into it. Buyers should also note that the DVD player does not fast forward or reverse frame by frame, but by chapters, so if you want to see something you missed 5 seconds ago, you'll have to reverse to the last chapter. I have a Sony DVD player and it functions perfectly will all DVDs the Samsung won't play. It is definitely the player and not the media.

Samsung DVD-V5650 DVD/VCR Combo