I have had many ultra-pocketable type digital cameras over the last few years in an ongoing quest to always have the ultimate one in my hands, ready for my next snapshots. I'm not a photographer by any means or sense of the word. I'm a digital consumer, and I know what works, and what doesn't, and what I like and don't like.

I started with a Canon S110 years...
Published on May 4, 2006 by Joey W. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Mac users, buy the i5
Warning for Mac users. This camera, despite the advertising on their web-page about this working on OSX, you can
not get the full functionality with Mac.

Mac users should get the i5. The i5 takes the same beautiful pictures, and the same video, but does not have
the PMP extras.

You need 2 FREE softwares for recording Video. One: DivX. You...
Published on August 25, 2006 by Brian Dowrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Always seeking the ultimate small Digital Camera- this may be it, May 4, 2006
Joey W. Harris "In the Hole" (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Digimax i6 6MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Black) (Electronics)

I started with a Canon S110 years ago (great in its day), and have shuffled through quite a few models- Pentax Optio S4(tiny and good in its day), Kyocera SL400R(lens exposed, too much noise), Sony DSC-T7 (sweet unit, thin,pics too soft), Casio EX-Z4 and EX-S600(Great size and look, but poor quality pics), Casio Pentax Optio W10 (so-so quality pics, H20 ok!), panasonic DMC-FX9 (good, but not as good as Canon), Canon SD400 (very good all around)... and I just ordered a Canon SD630 that just arrived (what an incredible 3" screen and the usual great photos)

Even when cameras have had great features like speed, size or sexiness, nothing could displace my Canon SD400 for pure quality pictures. Plus my SD400 was a great size, solid, and looked great to boot. The SD500 and 550 were a tad large for my taste, and the SD450 came out just after I bought the 400 so not worth the swap out cost. So the 400 has been my #1 for ages, even though I have tried to replace it many times. Finally when the SD630 was announced, I expected it to be the successor.

I picked up the Samsung I6 on a bit of a whim, and darnit this thing is one sexy package. The MP3 and PMP functions are great, and for a gadget freak like myself, both useful and coveted. I watch movies on my portable Creative Zen vision:m, which is also great, but it is fun to watch movies on this (must convert using their proprietary software- which is not too speedy), and the built in speaker allows you to hear the movie without headphones, something my pmp can't do. I figure there will be times when I have just the camera with me, and keeping a movie and some music onboard is a nice to have for those "boring" moments. The screen is excellent.

The great things about it are that it is rock solid, good looking, and is super quick in regards to turning on and getting ready for shots. The anti shake feature is pretty cool, and I'm experimenting with it. One thing my cameras have always struggled with is indoor room shots, and this baby will flat out light up a pitch black room and capture a quality shot better than anything else I've tried. The media player is very good, and the images are sharp. The quality of the photos is very good, and in some cases better than my SD400, but not always. It records movies in MPEG4 which is the best compression out there- the results are smaller files, but there is some blockiness compared to my canon based movies. However, I'm getting higher on that. If I could only get my 4GB card to work I could probably toss my camcorder out as well-

No protruding lens as my canons have; quicker start up time.

The bad:

I have a 4GB SD card and I was all ready to leverage it here. It DOES NOT work. Samsung docs are limited on the topic. 1GB works fine. Docs say anything greater than 1GB "may not work". I've tried the 4GB formatted both as FAT32 and FAT, but still no luck. This might be the deal killer for me. It all comes down to my side by side comparison with my SD630.

Converting movies is slow. I already jump through hoops to convert to divx format, and then you must "convert again". I tried renaming their proprietary file name to a divx file. It does not work.

Curved end- not sure if its good or bad...

In the end, and as of this moment you can't pry this unit out of my hands and it has finally replaced my SD400.... Can it stave off my SD630? Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant camera full of useful features for a great price., April 15, 2006
Had it for about a week now and it's every bit as good in my hands as it looked on paper.

The Advanced Shake Reduction is simply an amazing feature. It absolutely shines in awkward semi-low-light situations and you'll never be stuck with flat, ugly flash pictures again.

The LCD screen is large, bright and sharp. Out of concern, I tested it in a sunny exterior and had no problem seeing the image at all. A pleasant surprice.

The colors are the most vivid I've seen in nearly all the digital cameras I've used. And the full-frame, full-speed MPEG4 recording worked well even in a night interior situation.

The PMP and MP3 features just add that much more appeal to an already feature-packed camera. The included conversion software is very simple and logical to use as well.

Just beautifully designed and feels so good in your hands that you won't want to put it down. If you see it in stock, which has been few and far between, don't pass it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars How Sweet it is, the Digimax i6, June 23, 2006
I have had a lot experience with a variety of cameras, and I have never had more fun with a camera than with the Samsung Digimax i6. It is compact, will easily fit in my pocket. It produces great pictures that are viewable on the large built-in screen. It is easy to get those pictures on to my PC or laptop and either printed or placed onto a CD or DVD for a slide show on a TV. The buttons are efficient and easy to use. The video comes out really well and includes sound. It is rather easy to get the video processed and on to a DVD for storage and viewing on any DVD player. The manual could be more helpful about how to do this, but it did not take long to figure out the steps. I would be happy with this camera with just the photography. But, WOW, this camera does about everyting, including MP3 for music, PMP for movies and\or film clips, text photo with conversion to a word processor, an audio recorder for memos or other recording. Samsung engineers created a winner with this camera.

In addition, the camera is speedy to get started, so we can get into operation in a hurry. With our other digital cameras, we sometimes miss the action while we wait for the camera to get geared up and operational.

My recommendation is: You want a great small camera for a reasonable price, buy it sooner rather than later!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic and a lot of fun, May 25, 2006
H. Posener "magichoward" (Marina Del Rey, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The other reviews say it all (and yes it takes a 2GB SD card) I think its the lightest camera and thinnest out there, even just as a camera but when you consider the other featuresas well its awesome for its size.shots are great.
the only 3 things I dont like but they are minor real minor the manual could be easier to read and the slight curve doesnt do anything I would prefere for it to be completly flat and finaly the little clip that is supposed to make it easier to hold and reduce camera shake should be optional so you can clip it on or not.
Im ammazed this is not in all the stores yet and selling like hot cakes.
Did I mention the great feature that you can take a photo of a text page of a ducument and the software included you can convert it to a word doc on your computer.
1. Construction. Solid 10/10 and a great design. It feels like real quality.

2. Sound quality of mp3 is very good.7/10 but no extra features here

3. Volume and clarity. 8/10. No distortion even at high volume once again superb.

4. Display. 10/10 great indoors and outdoors.

5. controls.7/10 I'm Still learning it not as easy as I would like but considering it does so much for its size.

6.00 Battery Life. Too early to rate

7.00 Additional features. It does everything mp3 player voice recording, even plays videos and converts movies, full PMP

Overall comment.. well worth the money and to my knowledge no other does all this and the photos may not be the very best for a small camera but they sure seem very good to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Best Camera Ever, October 16, 2006
I have had a couple of cameras (sony dsc models) in the past and have been looking for one that will just suite my taste in the long run. Looking for size, picture quality, media functionality, Wow! this camera does it all. For its size, I would say, anyone should go out and get this camera. The only drawback I would say is the 2GB max. SD card input and the fact that the battery dies quickly when using the PMP mode very often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera!!!, April 14, 2006
Susanne Nave "Sus" (Springfield, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Though hard to get my hands on one, I have it and love it. This camera is everything it boasts. I would definitely recommend it. The size is great, all the special effects are great. I cannot believe how beautiful and vivid the colors are in my pictures. Very easy to navigate. Great bang for the buck!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Pictures, Great Quality, Easy to use, Great features, All around Awesome Camera, October 15, 2006
I've only had the Samsung Digimax i6 6MP Digital Camera, for a couple days now, but I can't stop raving about how truly fantastic it is.

This camera is perfect for on-the-go use for active people, who just want a reliable quality camera (like me). Overall, this camera is very easy to use. It is simple in it's design, but yet it is very practical. Note: the wave in the design does.... nothing (it doesnt really affect how i hold the camera), and the clip on the camera is more of a hindrance (i wish it was removable).

The features on the product are amazing. MP3 works great, but the only qualm I have with that, is that it only reads .mp3 files. So, all of your .wma, etc. files have to be converted to .mp3 before transferring to the camera. The process of adding songs to the camera is very simple.

Cons: battery life does not seem to last long (especially on the PMP mode), it seems to only work with 2GB SD cards and under, there is a delay between taking pictures for the flash to get set, and there is a very very very slight delay between hitting the shutter button and actually taking the picture, and I dont really like the fact that the lens is located in the corner(its a bit awkward).

It's an awesome camera so far, and I am really satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars all of everyything!!, June 14, 2006
This camera undeniably puts samsung ahead over the top digital camera manufacturers [sony,panasonic,canon, etc..]. The i6 is a beautiful, compact, and fully-loaded piece of machinery. The pic. quality is amazing, the video compression [Mpeg-4] is top notch. I have bought a 1GB mem. card, fearing the rumor that the 2GB memory cards malfunctions and doesn't work. I really need someone to confirm this. Any help will be appreciated, thanks. Even though i am really picky, I would really recommend the i6 to new or even professional photographers. C'mon- you could be listening to your fav. song while taking pics. U can even surisingly watch movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy to my world, May 23, 2006
I have never have so much fun with a camera. My family does not like to carry my Canon S1 as it is too big and out of style for them. So I looked for a compact camera with almost the same auto (not manual) features as Canon S1. The Samsung can do that plus more. It is lightweight, compact, and stylish (my son says so). Besides taking very colorful pictures, it can take VGA video with 30fps. You can pause and continue when taking video; only one AVI file is created (not the case with Canon S1). Quality of the video is just a little worse than my Canon S1 (which is one of the best in all cameras). It is also a movie player and a MP3 player. When I am shooting pictures, I can listen to the music at the same time! Tried the movie player (PMP) a little. It is also a joy to view on the LCD. That LCD is very easy to see in day light with wide angle. So a few people can see the movie from different angle at the same time. The build-in speaker is handy. It lets me test the mp3 music or media file without using the headset. The sound is OK for this tiny speaker. The picture frames are also a joy to use. For $250, most compact 6 Mega Pixel cameras can take the same or better photo as Samsung i6, but they won't do the MP3 and media player. It also comes with 1-year part and labor warranty, so I am not worry if it fails this year. This is why I do not buy those no-name products from the popular auction site that do the same things even they are cheaper; I also don't trust their optic and censor.

I wish that there is more audio control on MP3. The ASR only works with no flash in camera mode (I may be wrong), so it is only good for night photo shoot! The headset connector is in the way when I try to press the big button to take picture. You can zoom while taking video, but it disables the sound while zooming (not the case in Canon S1). It also adds a click sound before and after it zooms. Since it is so compact, I need to be more stable while taking pictures (compared to my Canon S1). The buttons on the camers are not self explanatory enough, especially in PMP and MP3 mode, as they are all multi-purposes. I wish it has a different set of buttons for MP3 only, or use a touch screen !

When Samsung i7 or i8 is out next year, I will be waiting in the line to review and buy it too !

Overall, it is money well spent. :-)

Question: Does anyone know if it can take a 2GB SD card?

3.0 out of 5 stars Mac users, buy the i5, August 25, 2006
Brian Dowrick (Hawthorne, CA United States) - See all my reviews
not get the full functionality with Mac.

the PMP extras.

You need 2 FREE softwares for recording Video. One: DivX. You can get this on the Quicktime webpage. Two: Xvid for Mac OSX. You get this at xvidmovies.com/mac/ This will allow you to play all the movies you record on this camera in Quicktime, and bring them into iMovie. They will still be AVIs with a Xvid Codac but you will be able to see them. You will have to Export them as Quicktime to give them to your friends.

I still have not found how to convert your other films to Xvid, so you can play them on the i6, like it's advertised.
at softpedia.com there is the Ultra Quicktime Converter 1.2.2 which says it can convert QuickTime MOV, QT, MP4, M4V files to AVI, DivX, Xvid, MPEG1, MPEG2, VCD, SVCD, DVD(*.VOB) files.

The PMP player is an MP3 Player and Movie Player. They didn't make this iTunes compatible, despite iTunes being one of the Largest download sites in the world. You can only play MP3s. You must create a folder called MP3, and then you can dump all the music you SD card can hold on it. This works just fine.

The movie Part requires a piece of software that they give you on a Disk (only works with PC). This converts the movies into something that can be played on the camera. AVIs with a Xvid Codac.

When I called, and asked why they say it's Mac compatible, they told me the Camera IS, so they can say that. But When the unit is advertised as a PMP, and none of the PMP functions work without a bunch of plugins (if at all), then I feel it's false advertising.

There is a slow delay between pressing the button, and taking the picture. About 1 second, I'd say.

It has an amazing Macro lens. (see the picture I took of a Quarter above).

The low light pictures are better then most of the cameras, I used (except the Casio Exilim), but this camera doesn't have the extending lens that can break in your bag, or refuse to retract.

It's a fantastically great camera. I love the pictures it takes. I have a 2GB card in it, and it works fine. The battery has lasted several days, and is only now missing one bar.

I am not going to return it, but If I had the choice again, I would have bought the i5 for $. It's a lot cheaper, and takes the same great pictures.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›