5.0 out of 5 stars A great Camera with a ton of features! Also SUPER COOL!!
Published on February 9, 2010 by Ryan S. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fast Camera, Poor Image Quality
Published on February 15, 2010 by Brian Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Camera with a ton of features! Also SUPER COOL!!, February 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung TL225 DualView 12.2MP Digital Camera with 4.6X Optical Zoom and 3.5-Inch LCD Screen and 1.5-Inch Front Screen (Orange) (Electronics)
I would guess that ninety percent of you reading these reviews are prospective digital camera buyers. You are reading these honest reviews by average people in an effort to learn more about buying this camera, you're asking that question "Is the dual-view TL225 right for me?" I don't know if it is, but keep in mind as you're reading my review that I'm writing this review for you because I was you the perspective buyer with numerous questions and concerns just one week ago.

Comparatively this Camera does not take the best picture of all the camera's in its price range. (The sub $300 digital camera category.) There are other camera's in the TL225's price range the give a better representation of color, perform better in low lighting, take better action photographs, take higher resolution HD movies or are smaller and possibly more convenient in some ways. The TL225 is not the pinnacle of digital photography in any category that I could find. It is however, on par with or above average for its class in just about every category; from iso, to HD-Movie capabilities, picture resolution, delay time between taking pictures, and etc. Make no mistake, this camera is no chump! It's just not a champion in any particular category. Overall I think it's the best fit for the average person that needs a digital camera for taking pictures of nights out, sight seeing, family events, etc. It's also quite sleek, I might suggest, nay, I implore you go to bestbuy and see just how sleek this device is before buying it.

Some of the other reviewers have been a bit harsh. I wonder however, how many digital cameras they have owned in their life. If the answer is 1 or 2, then they really aren't in a position to make accurate criticisms of this device. Or, perhaps they are, but only after they actually read the owner's manual. By reading this owner's manual, which, btw, is very detailed and can be downloaded from Samsung's website (in pdf form so you easily browse to whatever section you'd like to read about); you'll find the answer's to many of the little questions/problems/concerns you've had about this device! You can even read the owner's manual before you buy the TL225! Egads man!

As opposed to the aforementioned negative reviewers, I however, love this camera! This is an excellent replacement for the Kodak EasyShare P.0.S. that I had before. The TL225 comes with a ton of features on board. There's a slide show you can setup with a push of button, there's red-eye removal (which you can activate both before and after you take pics), blemish removal, and a ton other effects you can put on the pictures without having to even transfer the photos to your PC. The touch screen is very responsive and the dual view front screen works as advertised.

With its 12.2 megapixel sensor this camera takes some beautiful pictures. It also takes excellent HD movies recording them at 720p and you have the ability to zoom while recording the movies (a lot digital cameras can't do that or if they do you'll get this buzzing noise while zooming (This camera makes no such noises!)).

There's a bunch of on board features for the movies too after you've recorded them so you can edit them, just like the photos (brighten, trim movies, etc) on the camera without transferring them to your PC. I can't talk enough about how many little convenient features are included on board this camera, and they are just all so easy to find with the little pop-up menus. These features are why this camera is a "must own" 5 out 5 star device! Well, haha, that and it takes some pretty darn good pictures too!

Previous reviewers have complained about blurry photographs, well the first thing is to check the ISO level. If you know you are shooting in a dark room and are not using flash, turn the iso up manually. Yes, the auto features are good but not perfect, conventional wisdom says "the great carpenter never blames his tools". There's really something to be said for that, basically, ya know have a brain people! And two, play with your camera, enjoy it before you take it out and use it for your real world events. This camera has a lot of features but you have to use the right one for the job and know all the tools it has to offer and how to use them.

***NOTE*** Digital Camera's and HD Camera's as a whole don't tend to perform as well in low lighting as your regular film camera's they have come a long way and the technology is developing but this isn't a $500-600 professional camera, this a sub-compact point and shoot camera, keep that in mind when grading.

The other thing is this camera has pre-set features that come turned on that you can turn off which will help/hurt picture quality. One of them is facial recognition if this is on and if you are not taking a picture of someone or not trying focus on a face it will cause the picture to come out blurry. That's just the way the software on the camera is written. So you need to make sure you have the camera set in the correct modes. Furthermore, this all goes back to reading the manual and playing with your camera for awhile when you first get it.

To address some of the other concerns:
-- The battery life sucks, SUPRISE! Welcome to the world of portable electronics. I suggest only turning on the dual-view then you need it (this is the major batter drainer) and I also suggest buying another battery and the external battery charger.

-- Yes, it also sucks that this camera comes bare bones without a Micro-SD card, additional battery, or some the other nifty accessories you might need. What are you gonna do? I bought all the additional items (extra battery, charger, case, and micro-SD) and it only cost me $30.00.

-- The fact that it uses a micro-SD at all is also kind of annoying. While I think they could have tried to fit a standard SD in this camera, I'm glad they didn't. It's very sleek and stylish, slim and sexy. I guess having to use micro-SD is the price of beauty.

-- You need to buy a $50 dock to connect this camera to your TV using HDMI. Yes this is certainly frustrating, especially since one of the touted features of the TL225 is it's HDMI out, but really who cares? You can buy a USB adapter for your micro-SD and just plug it into your HDTV or PS3 directly.

**SIDENOTES** If you are debating between TL225 and the TL220, I'd say it's worth it to pony up the extra $20-25 for the TL225. The rear LCD screen is a bit bigger on this camera and the resolution on that LCD is much higher so you'll a have more accurate representation of your pictures after you take them. Also just having a larger, higher resolution screen will just add to the wow factor when you show this camera off to your friends. Another note, the orange color that the TL225 comes in is really more of a Red than an Orange; you'll see what I mean when you behold this camera in person. Sorry cuse' fans!

BOTTOM LINE:
This camera is great, if you are looking for a sleek point and shoot digital camera with a ton of features. The TL225 takes reasonably good pictures when compared to others in the same price range but where this digital camera really excels is by ease of use and innovative design with its responsive touch screen, pop-up menus, plethora of on-board features and cool dual view LCD. 5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fast Camera, Poor Image Quality, February 15, 2010
My previous camera was a 4MegaPixel Canon S410 which I purchased about 7 years ago. I figured it was time for an upgrade and first I purchased a 12.2 MegaPixel Canon SD980 which is about this same price as the Samsung TL225 and also has a large touch screen. The features and touch UI weren't nearly as good as the TL225. The picture quality of the SD980 was poor and after looking more closely at reviews, I realized I wasn't the only one having issues with it. So, I returned the Canon and purchased this Samsung (mostly because I still wanted the nice touch screen but thought it would have better, not excellent, but good, picture quality). I have been relatively disappointed in the picture quality on this camera. Even in great light conditions, the picture quality isn't all that great. I took my new Samsung TL225 and my old Canon S410 out to the Zoo today to do some comparison shots. It's really sad that my 7 year old, 4 MegaPixel camera is taking far better quality pictures than this brand new, 12.2 MegaPixel camera. Somewhere along the line, the CCD manufacturers must have given up quality in the race to say they had the highest MegaPixel count in their device. There is no excuse for the 4MP to look better than 12.2. Before someone comes along and tells me that I just need to tweak this or that setting, I will say, both cameras were set to auto mode in the comparisons so that things were fair. Also, I don't want to mess with settings, I want to point and shoot and get a decent (not professional) picture. Most of these pictures look OK when zoomed all the way out, but don't think you are going to be able to zoom in and crop a little just because you have 12MP to work with. Any zooming in on the picture on your computer reveals how washed out the image is.

Pros:
Very nice user interface.
Small/Slim.
Feels sturdy.
Cool front LCD feature.
Very responsive / powers on and takes pictures very quickly

Cons:
Picture quality is not very good at all for a 12.2MP point and shoot in this price range. (compared to the Canon S410)
Even with the flash on, this camera is terrible in low light conditions (also compared to the Canon S410)
Front LCD is difficult to turn on. (no big deal)
Bad battery life as expected (but they could have given us an 1100 mAh battery instead of the 750mAh to make up for this)
Computer (Win7) recognizes this camera as a storage device, not as a camera. This is generally not a problem because windows
will import pictures using its own software, but I prefer Windows Live Photo Gallery and it will not import from the
"AutoPlay" menu because it doesn't know it's a camera.

Overall, I'm not too upset about the picture quality because of the other good features, but when I would still suggest looking for something with better picture quality if you don't already own this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars its a touch screen world out there now, October 19, 2009
This is my 1st touch camera. I have owned many small point and shot cameras and this one is the easiest one to work for me and takes great pictures.

I bought this camera 1 month ago and went on vacation to wine country Napa/Sonoma
I downloaded the disc manual that comes with the camera and read it complete on the plane. I am glade I did. Being a touch screen you have no controls to turn like basic cameras.
for anyone looking to buy this samsung, read the manual the funtions are mostly symbols and once you know all the touch funtions you will be taking great pictures.
If you have a touch phone your halfway there. Amazining pictures and it gives you so many was to take your shots. The quality is great and the 3.5 in screen is outstanding just slide your finger on the screen and veiw or delete. As for the the front view screen in works good but on sunny days you may have to angle it a bit could be brighter.
rear screen is fine.
some reviewers complain about fingerprints on the screen.. no problem with me, you just wipe them off, you do want to keep it clean.
The camera is thin to store anywhere. I went to a my verizon phone store and bought a phone case leather and has a clip for your belt. It work great when I was wine touring.
Bottom line go and play with one but remember read the manual this camera has funtions that are not listed on the box..enjoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled doesn't quite describe how I feel about Samsung...., May 29, 2010
Red (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm a Canon person and just about all of my compact cameras have been Canon or Nikon. (I must have owned a dozen in the past decade). I got tired of my newest Canon and wanted to try something different. I've been very satisfied with Canon and it's consistent quality, but the fact remains that other than cosmetic changes and the continued increase in resolution (megapixels), very little is left to be desired by gadget lovers out there.

I've been waiting for the price to drop on the Samsung dual views for a while. I purchased the TL-210 at Costco for about $200. When I brought it home, I realized that it wasn't quite the way I remembered it when I saw it for the first time a while back. It was a little bit bulky as well. I researched it and realized there are actually around 4 different models of the dual views. The TL-205? and TL-210 are the lower end models and neither are touch screen. The TL-220 and TL-225 are the higher end touch screen models. I went ahead and purchased the TL-225 ($260)through Amazon so that I can compare the TL-210 vs. the TL-225.

The reason why I love Samsung is because they have a lot of imagination and are probably the most innovative. If only they could follow through with ingenuity and intuition!! My "upgrade" to the TL-225 touch screen actually downgraded some of my features. The TL-210 was 12.4mp and had a 5X optical zoom. The TL-225 is 12.2 mp and a 4.6X optical zoom. The 210 was not a touch screen so it had buttons all over. These buttons were all located in logical places and if you are familiar with the layout of Canon camera buttons, you wouldn't even need to read the Samsung manual to operate the camera. There was also a dedicated button on the top next to the on/off button to turn on the front lcd screen on the 210. You tap it once to go into self portrait mode, twice for couples, and three times for children (and a cartoon/animation automatically plays on the front screen to keep your child's attention). Simple right?

I can't say the same for the TL-225. The touch screen means you have to deal with icons and none of the pictures on the icons give you a good idea of what the icon represents. There is no dedicated buttons other than the on/off button, zoom, and review. Since you are relying so much on touch screen menus, one would hope to at least see an easy to use, -organized-, logical menu. Wrong. It is so complicated that I will do my best to describe it here - (or you should go into a store and see for yourself!) - Imagine a 3" screen with a bunch of icons lined down the left side. Along the bottom of the screen is an arrow with a "pull up" menu which pulls up more icons. Once you "pull up" these icons, you scroll through these icons left and right to find yet more settings that probably should have been included in the icons already on the left hand side of the screen. But wait! There's another arrow on the right side of the screen that pulls up MORE icons. These icons are redundant and are supposedly a quick way to select between the movie, smart, and picture modes...all of which can also be selected from the LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN!

To make matters worse, these menus change with every mode you are in. So if you change from Auto to "Smart Auto" (I still can't figure out the difference btwn the two!) the icons will change as well. There is definitely a learning curve with the user interface regardless of how tech savvy you are. In addition to the "downgrades" you will also be losing some cool special effects such as vignetting and miniature that the lower model TL-210 has. The TL-225 comes with absolutely nothing! No case and no micro-SD which the Costco TL-210 had. What was Samsung thinking with the micro-SD anyway? In addition, the 210 actually has an HDMI output where as the more expensive 225 does not..(or maybe I just haven't found it yet!).

But wait! There's more nonsense to gripe about! Both the 210 and 225 come with AC adaptors that are about a foot and a half long. These cords plug -directly- into the camera unlike others where you physically remove the battery to charge. So while the battery is charging in the camera, your camera is out of commission! In addition, with a foot long cord your camera winds up on the floor because it's not long enough to reach a table. One last gripe about the 225 (and 210), both are pretty big and bulky althought the 225 is a few millimeters skinnier than the 210 and neither have speakers that are very loud. Neither come with actual instruction manuals, it's on the CD-Rom, or you can view it on their website. Either way you need a pc.

If you can deal with all of the above as I have begrudgingly tried to do...then I would really suggest you consider which model you would like to own. The 2 lower models look almost the same and other than a few small differences in features is basically the same camera. The 2 higher models (the TL220 and 225) are both touch screen and again, are basically the same camera. (Again Samsung redundancy and logic). Currently there is about a $30 difference btwn the 220 and 225. You get a huge gorgeous screen on the 225 and the 220 has sort of a pathetic looking one. For a $30 difference, one must question why Samsung produced two separate models that didn't offer much of a benefit both price and feature wise.

Pros: The TL225, once you learn to use it, is a decent camera. I do not think the picture quality (color saturation, contrast, etc.) is bad at all as long as you are holding the camera extremely still. Even with the so called stability sensors on, pictures do blur quite often especially in low light. I love the screen on the front and find it very handy. The large screen really is gorgeous and the camera seems well made with a metal back (although the screen does scratch easily and I had to put a protective sheet over it). The ability to "flick" the screen to scroll through your pictures is pretty neat, and you can also tilt the camera to advance the pictures as well. The special effects work really well such as "cool, retro, classic, etc." but really could have benefitted more if it had features like Canon's color swap and color accent.

I really wanted to give it 4+ stars but there's just too much to gripe about. This is not a replacement for a Canon and is more of a novelty. The front lcd screen doesn't make up for everything else that this is lacking and will likely satisfy neither amateur nor advanced users alike. Is that extra screen worth the $300 price tag? Not with all the sacrifices made.

UPDATE: After playing with the camera a few more days, I have found that low light/no flash pictures continue to blur really bad even with the slightest movement. Unfortunately will have to return the camera since the picture quality is not consistent and trying to get a good picture (especially of my pets indoors!) requires too many tries. Can't imagine the frustration I might experience if I were on vacation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Everything Great but Take Pictures . . ., May 3, 2010
I'm just short of being flat out disappointed in the Samsung TL-225.

I bought this before a trip we took. Read and read and read about it. I'll admit, I bought it for the cool features (touch screen, front LCD, etc.) but was really let down by picture quality. All of my pictures from our trip are overexposed or out of focus. Oddly enough, the best pictures are indoor pictures in medium - low lighting.

The good . . . the touchscreen is the best touch screen I've ever used. This may change when I pick up my HTC Incredible, but I digress . . . It is big, beautiful and very little lag. The screen is responsive and the UI is very well thought out and easily navigated. The front LCD was the selling point for me and it's really as good as advertised. I don't use the cartoon clown, but enjoy it for self-portraits of us, and especially for the count down digits on timed shoots. There are a lot of neat effects for pictures and a good portion of manual settings. These manual settings may make this thing somewhat usable. The video feature is actually pretty good. It suffers a little from the poor lens but I was pleasantly surprised by the video! I personally appreciated the MicroSD slot in the camera. Why anyone would resist this is beyond me. All devices these days use MicroSD. You can but a card reader with the Micro slot for less than 10 bucks online. Step into the 21st century, my friends!

I took of my pictures on the Auto setting, as that had the best results when I was testing it. But like I said, on the computer after our trip, they were washed out if there was any amount of sunlight in the background. (they all looked good on the camera LCD) I experimented later with Smart Auto with marginally better results. This does increase the time required to process but makes the pictures slightly better. The battery life is abysmal. I was prepared for this and bought an aftermarket battery w/ external charger. HIGHLY recommended. It had a little higher ampacity and seems to last 50% longer. The OEM battery is also a little wonky with the battery indicator. Sometimes it'll show 1 bar right after a fresh charge. But it'll be fine later. I know batteries can be a little temperamental on occasion but this was too consistent for that . . .

I came from a 5 year old, 5MP Canon and it wins the PQ argument. I knew better than to leave Canon, but I wanted a small, sleek camera, and this seemed better (at the time) than what Canon had to offer. I'm not expecting DSLR quality, but was hoping for significantly better. But I missed the 30 day return window and hopefully can tinker around enough to make it usable.

Given the chance again I would skip this camera. :(

4.0 out of 5 stars For me or not for me, that is the question., December 8, 2009
BloodRoses (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This is my first review so please forgive me.

There's not many reviews on this camera and I wanted to wait to use it several times before writing a review.

The camera is extremely light, compact.

You can turn off the front screen in order to save the battery.

I highly recommend getting a scratch resistant/anti reflective screen protector for the touch screen.

Positive aspects:
The camera screen is bright, many controls are intuitive. Taking pictures is fun if you're using the camera in appropriate situations (it is a compact camera). Prints look spectacular even when printed out in larger formats such as 11x17 and 13x19. It's easy to delete and alter pictures and show off pictures to others. The camera is very small and lightweight.

Negative Aspects:
Controls for front screen are not easily accessed. Use of icons makes camera somewhat confusing and frustrating. Do not expect to pick up the camera and understand where things are at in the menu structure or what icons mean. This does not mean that the camera is unintuitive, it is a problem inherent in using so many icons in so many menus. It will take some time to adjust and to learn how to use the camera. Camera can be a little slow in certain modes.

PRO or CON?

Requires MicroSD/SDHC card. (They are relatively cheap but some people might be annoyed)

Charging cable is proprietary but Samsung also cleverly made the cable act as both a usb connector and AC adaptor. You can additionally charge the camera while attached to the computer via USB.

Unit is so small/compact that some may find it difficult to grip. Recommend that you use the included lanyard.

Overall I am quite pleased with this camera. It's very easy to take with you and get great shots. It's easy to pocket or you can get a small case (which I did) to protect it. The 3.5" screen is absolutely gorgeous and can make a great display to show off shots you've taken. I believe the more that I use the camera the more I enjoy it, initially it was frustrating even after printing out part of the manual. I probably would not recommend buying the camera and using it without having time to play with it first. You will likely find that a camera with physical controls will be easier if that is your objective.

1.0 out of 5 stars lemon, July 15, 2010
I selected the TL225 as I take a lot of self portraits with my young daughter. I had read many reviews however warning of a problem with a non-retracting lens - this is how the camera arrived. Samsung offered to review it for service and likey replace it in 2-3 weeks - as I needed the camera now and the "known" defect was obvious right out of the box I suggested they rush the process - they said no. I returned the camera to Amazon (huge advantage to selecting Amazon fulfilled items), they refunded the full cost, tax and shipping within 48 hours - great job Amazon. I would not purchase this camera - read a lot of bad things about it and photo stores were very negative. I bought the Casio Exilim EX-FH100 for a few dollars more from 17th Street Photo and am thrilled with the camera and with the service and advice I received from their staff

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Camera, Stay Away of this camera it's worst than a TOY, September 2, 2010
I'm an aficionado to photography.

In my experience i have used Nikon, Canon even Kodak.

Recently my sister asked me to buy this Samsung because she was travelling to Paris and wanted to use the "front screen" feature to take herself pictures.

My family also traveled and as i had an old canon powershot G7 i decided to left it in the house to experience this brand new modern Samsung.

It looked good in the outside, i placed my tripod on this and started to travel around Europe.

What a Dissapointment !

The quality is AWFULL, TERRIBLE !

The lenses of this camera is a "Scheneider", what a piece of glass.
The lenses takes deformed pictures!!!, when the subject is near to the borders of the image.
The camara itself has very bad response in low light conditions.
And what to say about the turn off time, it takes years to get the camera on to take your first picture, is like it's too complicate for the camera to read the microsdhc memory.
So....
Avoid this waste of money, if you buy a camara this is a rule of life, just buy a trusted brand, Canon and Nikon have never disapointed me, even the simpliest model can make a lot lot better pictures than this sad toy.

thanks and greetings from PERU !

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken 4 months after purchase, February 20, 2010
Adam "Adam O" (DAVIE, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This camera was pretty good when it worked. It stopped working correctly so we sent it for repair per the manufacturer. Of course they cannot duplicate the problem, even though their solution was for us to buy a new battery, which we already had done. I guess it will go out for recycling because it didnt last long and we dont want to bring it on trips if it will continue to malfunction. Buyer BEWARE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 9, 2010
Really nice camera for the non professional. I have a whole stable of DSLRs and a couple of film SLRs. I do semi-pro photography. So, I'm used to fast cameras with semi- I have had no problem adapting to the touch screen. I use an iPhone and HP TouchSmart notebook computer, so I'm pretty comfortable with touch. I miss the ability to see a preview of what selecting a particular icon will bring, but I'm quickly learning to use all of the camera's extensive functions without such previews. A word on the lens. It is sharp and sports a serious wide angle capability that I very much appreciate in tight spaces where it's impossible to move back to include an entire group or surrounding environment. You've got to be careful not to get too close or subjects take on an almost humorous barrel-like appearance, but all-in-all, I love the wide lens. As for printing photos, I am able to print excellent images using Windows Vista's JPG viewer and Photoshop CS4. For quick prints, I use a network connected Epson Artisan 810 with Epson's best glossy photo paper, "Ultra Premium Photo Paper - Glossy". I use my Epson 3880 printer and a range of papers for more professional output. to fully manual controls. I also have two advanced, almost pro-level point-and-shoot cameras: a Sigma DP2 and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. All of the above cameras have a place in my work. The TL225 is a higher end point-and-shoot camera intended for amateur photographers. It shouldn't be compared to anything but other similarly featured and similarly priced point-and-shoots. I use it to capture images in fast moving environments - kids, family, parties, busy streets. It works wonderfully for those kinds of shots. The Smart Auto function is my favorite setting and that's a lot for someone who uses DSLRs mostly in manual and aperture priority mode to say. It took me a while to become comfortable turning over exposure and focus decisions to a camera, but, with the TL225, I get wonderful images almost all the time when I do.

I just finished an assignment taking pictures of a very active one year old. I used my Nikon D300 and the TL225. Sure I got some great stuff with the D300, but, frankly, I got grab shots of the child with the TL225 that would have been impossible given the D300s size and bulk. And the shots were in sharp focus, with great colors and composition was consistently very good.