Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Gifts for Her Beauty Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

Style: Camera OnlyColor: BlackPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

Compact, great automatic features, access to manual controls and... takes great pictures

With each generation, Samsung makes the "WB" series easier to use and still get great results. Like its predecessors, this one fits into my front pants pocket (or the case I recommend toward the end of this review). That point alone may make this the best camera you own; having a $5k DSLR doesn't do you much good if you left it home because it wasn't worth the effort to lug it along.

However, unlike many other small cameras, Samsung had designed a camera that works with, rather than trying to compete with, your phone or tablet. They do this without sacrificing either features or quality. Even low-level manual control, things like setting shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, are available *without* being buried deep inside menus. However, it is done in a way that doesn't get in my way when I don't want to bother with it. This camera is designed to leverage convenience and technology while still providing control when I want it.

The camera body has a sleek appearance and a solid feel. The pebbled finish that covers most of the camera looks like leather and, more importantly, aids in getting a secure grip. And, if you don't care about the "mechanics", it makes for a very nice looking camera.

One issue with all small cameras is the built-in flash. They are underpowered and create red eye. Both problems are caused by the need to keep the camera small; the flash needs to be small and positioned close to the lens. Samsung addresses in a number of ways. Firstly, they include a powerful (for a compact camera) flash to pop up and out of the camera at the press of a button. Secondly, the lens is designed to let in a lot of light so I don't need as bright a flash in the first place, Thirdly, the "sensor" is very accurately captures pictures even when there isn't a lot of light available. The result is an image that is remarkably sharp, even in low light. In fact, I can take pictures in a well-lit room without having to use the flash at all.

What sets this camera apart is how well it integrates with a phone or tablet. In my case, these are iDevices and I haven't tried it with any of the Android options available. However, with iPhones/Pads, it is a matter of downloading a free multi-purpose app. After that, transferring photos from my camera to my phone/tablet is as easy as pressing a button on the camera (it is a real, honest-to-goodness hardware button) and starting the app. From there I can quickly send one or a bunch of pictures from my camera for editing, embellishment, and probably posting to Facebook. There are a boatload of other wireless capabilities like using the camera as a baby monitor and using my phone as a remote viewfinder and camera control. To me, though, the biggest and most heavily used feature is the ability to easily and quickly move pictures from the camera to a device that can "send them off" from anywhere in the world.

Things of note:

- This camera does not have a GPS. Based on my experience with other compact cameras that do have that feature, they tend to shorten battery life dramatically and I don't miss it.

- This camera uses a mico-SD card. That's not a bad thing, you just need to know to have one on hand and now you do. My recommendation is to get a relatively fast card with a large capacity. I'm using the SanDisk Ultra 16GB MicroSDHC and it works just fine. The time between shots is about halved when I use a SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB MicroSDHC instead. For nature shots it's not such a big deal. However, if you are taking pictures of people, and especially kids, I would definitely recommend the faster card.

Some other suggestions that apply:

Normally at this point, I would put in some details about manually setting ISO or selecting a color space. However, for most people buying this camera, it just isn't relevant. You are buying this camera because you want to take great pictures without having to worry about that stuff. The good news is the Samsung WB350 has several "automatic" modes where it makes those decisions for you and does a great job at it.

However, as I mentioned above, this camera stands out among others in its class in putting this level of control at your fingertips when you care to use it. If you do want to "take your photography to the next level then a great resource is the Confessions of a Compact Camera Shooter: Get Professional Quality Photos with Your Compact Camera. It tells you how to get dSLR results out of cameras such as this one.

Finally, I've found the Case Logic TBC-312 Pocket Video Camcorder Case is just the right size for this camera (and is surprisingly inexpensive It's made even better by using one of these, Nite Ize SB1-2PK-01 Size-1 S-Biner, Black, 2-Pack, to secure it to a belt loop.

Please feel free to let Amazon and me know whether this was helpful to you or not, since it helps me improve my reviews.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
ADDED Info: Because someone posted a question on this, I thought I would mention that this camera works fine with a 128GB Sandisk Ultra Micro SDXC card and reports space for 160,227 1MP images or 20.00 hours of 720p HD video.

UPDATE regarding screen glare: I have found some ideas regarding dealing with screen glare. There are some magnified LCD extender viewfinders out there that basically allow you to use a screen only camera as if it had a viewfinder. Most are specific to some Canon DSLR models. I have ordered an inexpensive one to try out and perhaps modify. If I have any luck I will report back here. A simple and free solution that works reasonably well is to grab one of those corrugated cardboard sleeves they have at coffee shops to keep you from burning your hand. It is easy to hold the big end up against the LCD and look through the smaller end. It is not perfect, but if you have on a cap or wide-brimmed hat you can actually see the screen quite well. I try to keep the top flat by extending my index finger to seal off light entering from above. With a couple of minutes fooling with it you can figure out how best to hold it for your purposes. An added benefit is that it folds flat so you can just carry it in your pocket and whip it out when you need it. Nothing bulky to attach. Something a little longer would work even better as long as it is dark colored and probably best not glossy inside. Maybe just make a tapered cardboard tube. Just some thoughts.

UPDATE: I have had a lot of experience with this camera in the last few weeks, including the last few days in Yellowstone. I am even more impressed with it than I was initially. There is not a whole lot to say except that it takes great photos and videos, including full HD video of Old Faithful erupting yesterday. I have also taken some very good images of distant wildlife at extreme zoom.

The direct wifi feature works very well. It is very handy for transferring photos directly from the camera to my phone if I need to. I usually still use a direct USB connection if available, but the wifi has come in handy.

I have come up with one con while using the camera at Yellowstone, but it is something common to all point and shoots. Trying to find and zoom in on a scene in bright sunlight is difficult to nearly impossible. I have a Canon SX50 which also has an electronic viewfinder. Having a viewfinder is very useful for difficult situations. I originally intended to bring both cameras, using the SX50 for the heavy work and the WB350F for pocketability. At the last minute I decided to take only the WB350F. It has been fantastic for 98-99% of what I needed, but when trying to find and zoom in on some distant wildlife in bright sunlight it has been a challenge. Please do not let this deter you from buying this camera. I have been able to use it for those shots, but the viewfinder would certainly have made it easier. Cameras with viewfinders are twice as expensive and usually much larger and heavier. You will not put one in your pocket.

This will be preliminary review since I just received the WB350F a couple of days ago. My main purpose here is to alert buyers that this camera uses micro SD. So if you need to buy media with the camera, don't buy full-size SD. I do not consider this an issue, but it might save someone the inconvenience of having to return a card and await replacement. The product description does not mention this so I assumed it used full size SD like the WB250F. This was not an issue for me because I had high capacity cards of both sizes anyway.

I have a very nice Canon SX50 that I love for trips or other situations where I know I will be taking a lot of pictures, like a planned trip to Yellowstone, and will need the mega-zoom. There are a lot of more casual situations like trips to the playground with grandkids, day trips, birthday parties, etc., where it is nice to have something you can slip in your pocket just in case. I still wanted something with a decent amount of zoom. To me, the WB350F is a great combination of small size, plenty of zoom, and a decent price. I have a tiny Fuji camera, but it always felt too small in my large hands.

The menu system is similar to most digital cameras. I was able to find all the settings I needed without using the manual. The hybrid system is pretty neat. You can navigate with the usual menu buttons or touch things on the screen. It is kind of handy. Once you get to a screens using the familiar buttons and get several selections on the screen, instead of moving to your choice with the buttons, you can just tap the one you want with your finger. At first I thought I would probably not use the touch screen, but I guess using smart phones and tablets all these years has me in the habit.

The WB350F seems to create very good images. I confess that I am not overly picky. A crisp, clear image with good color is fine. Don't get me wrong. I do want quality images, but I don't pull out instruments and magnifiers to critique every shot. I am just more interested in the memories.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2014
I was very happy with my Canon sx280 (20x zoom) but was intrigued by the Samsung's 21x zoom starting at 23mm (extreme wide-angle) lens and movable flash head so I decided to try it out. I was very surprised and pleased by the image quality and feature set of this camera.

The WB350 is definitely a pocket sized camera but not the smallest pocket super-zoom camera on the market. It is about the same size as the Canon SX700 and a bit taller than most other pocket zooms including the Canon SX280.

The WB350 has several features not usually found in a camera in this price range and target audience; exposure bracketing (sort of), built in bounce flash, flash intensity compensation (controls the strength of flash), manual shutter and aperture setting controls and completely manual (Kelvin) white balance. The last feature (manual white balance by K#) is not found on some good mid level DSLR cameras (i.e. Nikon D5300, Canon Txxi).

This camera has a small sensor so anything shot past ISO 800 is not very good. Noise (graininess) is present even at ISO 400. But ISO 800 is usable which is pretty good for this type of camera. Also, the lens is pretty bright, (at wide angle focal lengths), with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 helping to avoid the necessity of using higher ISOs in better lighting conditions. There is no dedicated ISO button. In any event if you primarily shoot in dim lighting requiring an ISO over 800, you really should look at something with a larger sensor (ie Sony RX100 or a compact system camera).

Images taken in good lighting (i.e. outdoors or good indoor lighting) are very, very good. The automatic white balance and metering almost always get it right. I was surprised that the images are a bit nicer and more vibrant than the (excellent) Canon SX280.

The movable flash head can be pivoted to simulate an external flash being tilted to "bounce" the flash. This results in softer lighting and much more pleasing exposures. However, this is a small camera with a small and relatively weak flash. Using an indirect flash weakens the intensity more so. Consequently this feature is really only useful in reasonably bright rooms where the subject is reasonably close. Lower F stops and Longer shutter speeds also help.

The 23mm wide angle end of the lens is wider than most cameras especially anything this small. Although there is serious distortion in videos when shooting at 23mm, incredibly, the .jpgs are almost distortion free at this extreme wide angle.

I am not a big touch screen fan, but the touch screen works quite well. The retro grainy-leather look exterior looks pretty sharp but some type of grip would have been helpful.

I would have only given 4 1/2 stars if this was available because of the ridiculous decision to use Micro-SD cards instead of standard SD cards like everyone else. This card (so small that an ambitious ant could walk away with one) requires the use of an SD adapter every time a card reader or computer/laptop card slot is used. Did Samsung suddenly decide that a standard SD card is just too heavy or too big?? Of course, a micro SD card or even an adapter for micro-SD cards are not included. Nor by the way is a battery charger (the battery must be charged while inside the camera; an inconvenience and a savings of about 11 cents to Samsung).

In any event, overall this is a terrific camera when used in decent lighting conditions. The great image quality, movable flash head and other advanced features put this camera at the top of its genre. Like all cameras, the most important component is the skill and imagination of the photographer.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2014
I was looking at several cameras in this feature range for $150 - $250 that could replace my Canon A3300IS for everyday use, and possibly my Kodak ZD8612IS for zoom and panoramic shots. I settled on this camera because of its powerful zoom capabilities, 1080p video, manual focus, and full manual settings. Also, I had great experiences with a Samsung S730 that took excellent pictures and had full manual control until I wore out the image sensor.

This WB350 has a great feel in my hands and points naturally, allowing quick framing of a distant subject at full zoom. All the different video and picture effects are fun, but most of them can be done on the computer with an editing program. The zoom comes in really handy and is very impressive for a camera this size. It's actually pretty startling when the zoom lens unfurls from the camera body! The auto-focus has some trouble at higher zoom levels, taking several seconds and possibly some motion before it will focus. The camera is ready to take pictures or video about 3 - 4 seconds after powering it on if you start in Auto mode. It will take longer if the dial is turned to ASM, as you are prompted to choose Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or Manual before proceeding.

I bought some spare batteries and a wall charger along with this camera, since I knew the long zoom would probably be very power hungry. I also wanted a wall charger for the batteries, since I like to be able to keep a lot of batteries charged and ready to use, often charging them while still using my camera. The extra batteries I bought last a bit longer than the Samsung battery. I can take about 300 images without the flash, or about 45 minutes of 1080p video without using the zoom much. Using the flash with photos and the zoom with video seems to really use a lot of battery power. The flash has acceptable range, and is pretty useful with adjustable output.

Images taken by this camera are usable, but really quite disappointing. I've tried every setting, under every lighting condition, and even at the lowest ISO setting with perfect lighting there is too much noise in the pictures. It's 16.3 wasted megapixels, due to grain distorting any fine details. You might as well take image sizes that are no larger than your monitor's resolution. For some reason, this excessive noise seems to really ruin panoramic pictures, with noise visible even without enlarging the photo. With no RAW support, you're just stuck with the terrible images this camera spits out.

Everything about this camera is an upgrade from my previous cameras, except the most important thing: the pictures. My Canon A3300IS, Kodak ZD8612IS (which is only 8MP!), and my Samsung S730 take clearer, sharper images than this newer Samsung WB350 Smart Camera. It really is a disappointment because this camera cost twice what I paid for any of those cameras. Additionally, the much older and less expensive S730 was also made by Samsung, and the WB350 is a downgrade in image quality from that 7 year old pocket camera. It's as if Samsung simply ripped out the camera parts of a cell phone and placed them into a camera body with an excellent optical zoom lens.

The fact that this is just a cell phone without the phone (but a great optical zoom) is further supported by the ridiculous use of a Micro SD card. This is a very large camera and could have easily used a normal sized SD card, which is the right size for handling. The camera seems to be geared toward installing the included software and using the USB cable to transfer files from the card, but this camera along with most, only operates at USB 2.0 speed. Removing my high speed memory card from the camera and inserting it into a USB 3.0 card reader is the only way to get the full transfer speed of my card. Such a tiny card is very awkward to handle as I feel like it will break or I will drop it into a crevice around my desk. I've also had the tiny card spring out of the camera and land on the floor between my feet while trying to remove it from the camera! Micro SD is just too small for handling, and the camera's USB 2.0 speed is too slow for my card's full potential.

All of the wireless and social media sharing features of this camera are useless to me as I was attracted by the CAMERA features of this camera.

This camera is supposed to have a "manual focus", but I have determined that this is just a gimmick. The feature doesn't actually put you in control of the mechanical focus mechanism. The camera still has to establish an auto-focus, then it allows you to move a slider across a preset focus range. The best way to tell it's a fake manual focus is to try and focus the camera in the dark. No matter where you move the slider, the image is never in focus. This completely eliminates the uses I had planned for it.

The video looks quite usable (after a firmware update) and is an improvement over the 720p video my Canon A3300IS produces. With terrible picture quality, it turns out that this camera is actually a better video camera than picture camera. The full optical zoom can be used while taking a video, making it much more versatile than any of my previous digital cameras for video. There is a feature enabled by default that magically removes the sound of the lens zooming in and out by slightly muffling the audio. This feature somehow removes the mechanical sounds of the zoom while preserving most ambient sounds. The microphone is mono but is somehow better than any of my previous digital cameras, perhaps because of the sampling rate of 44.1 KHz and variable bitrate up to 128 Kbps. It picks up sound really well - every breath and sniffle while you're taking the video. Oddly, it seems to pick up distant sounds better when you zoom in. The only negative thing about the video function of this camera is the dedicated video button. Using the video button feels awkward, and requires repositioning my fingers to press the button. This often results in a "jerk" in the video when trying to stop recording.

In summary, I can't recommend this camera for pictures because of the high image noise. A camera that costs this much should take better pictures than a camera half its price, not worse. I'd recommend a Canon PowerShot in this price/feature range, as I know they take less grainy images. That being said, I plan to keep and use my WB350 due to the video features. If I go on a trip where I plan to take great shots, I'll bring my older, cheaper cameras for that.
review image review image review image review image review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The only word I can find for this little pocket camera is fun, and that comes from a person who is used to both his Canon DSLR and his tiny Canon S100 pocket camera. I honestly had never considered a Samsung before, but the combination of features and total value make this an extremely strong contender in the pocket camera world. First, you have to note the sub-$200 price tag which gets this in the hands of many enthusiasts who can't afford $300+ cameras. And yes, the best pocket cameras do indeed come with these price tags.

As with most modern cameras, ignore the megapixels. Most every camera has those. What sets this apart (besides a cool user interface) is the stunningly deep optical zoom in a pocket camera. With an equivalent focal length of 23-483mm, you will get both great wide-angle shots for indoors (including nice arms-length selfies) and also a 21x optical zoom that works quite well for a camera at this price point. Most pocket cameras only achieve 5x optically and require digital zoom (otherwise known as cropping) to get to 21x.

The other really appreciated feature is the built-in WiFi. I played a bit with the remote viewfinder (set up the camera in one spot and take photos from your iPhone) and the baby monitor, but most appreciated was the ability to copy photos quickly from my camera to my iPhone or iPad. All you do is select the camera's WiFi like an access point from your iPhone and you can use the Samsung app to copy over photos (or use the camera to select photos). This had me making use of my enhanced optics and zoom on my camera during hikes but simultaneously posting them to Instagram and Facebook via my cell phone. I love this feature and it is quite well implemented.

The built-in flash is unsurprisingly anemic, but it is nice that it is on a flexible arm so you can manually point it to the ceiling for some indirect flash bounce. Nice extra feature!

You also have some more advanced settings such as manual shutter and aperture control and manual white balance. The camera has a nice complement of physical controls, but the touch screen allows you to not only navigate more advanced menus, but do things like touch to focus. There are also fun controls like smart facial recognition to pick a nice face, panorama stitching, fisheye, and other "instagram" type effects.

As almost every other reviewer has noted, it is an odd choice to use micro-SD in such a relatively large camera. This will make it a bit tougher to get replacement media while traveling.

My only real negative is the camera is on the large side for a value camera with a relatively small sensor and aperture. My Canon S100 is significantly smaller, and with the 1/1.7" sensor and F2.0 setting, I get pretty nice photos even without the flash. With a smaller sensor in the Samsung (1/2.3") and a larger minimum F setting of F2.8, I would hope for a more slim package. Perhaps the larger zoom optics drive this package size.

Overall, for the price it will be hard to find a better option. I am unfairly comparing it to my S100 which was a significantly more expensive camera. I love the really powerful optical zoom, the built-in wifi, and the "fun" options, so I recommend this as a great general purpose camera.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've been testing the Samsung WB350F for a few weeks and it has really impressed me with the quality of photos, ease of use and the many options for fun and creative shots/videos that you can share right from the camera to Facebook, YouTube and more (including email).

As a pocket camera, I'd be happy just using this as a traditional point-and-shoot - but for those occasions when I want to get creative, there are many fun options. I talk about some of those in detail below, but in the meantime... in a nutshell:

* Small, fits into your pocket
* Easy to use - the "Auto" option is excellent
* Many fun and creative effects available
* Touchscreen
* Several social sharing and remote-use options from your smartphone using Samsung apps
* The camera comes with 2 GB of free Dropbox online storage; 50GB if you also own a GALAXY smartphone.
* Built-in flash

* Firmware update issue: Make sure to use a smaller (I use a 2GB Micro SDXC card for firmware updates... afterward I replace it with a 64GB EVO Micro SDXC card
* Some of the social/sharing/remote apps crash
* Does not come with Micro SDXC card

Fun options: Using the "Smart Mode" option on the dial offers the following special photo-taking modes...
- Beauty Face: Enables you to capture a quick succession of someone's facial expressions so you can pick the best one
- Continuous Shot: Takes a fast series of photos... ideal for "action" shots (jumping, running, throwing, etc.)
- Landscape (self explanatory)
- Macro: Extreme closeups of small things (bugs, coins, etc)
- Action Freeze: Snap a clear photo of a fast-moving object (person running, car driving by, hitting a baseball, jumping, etc).
- Panorama: This one is very cool... move slowing to the right or left and many photos will automatically be combined into one panoramic photo
- There a few more but my remaining favorites here in "Smart Mode" include "Low Light" and there is even one to use when photographing fireworks

There is also editing software right in the camera along with a very cool Photo Filter and Movie Filter feature. These let you choose from some fun effects:
* Miniature (popular in Japan, it produces photos with the borders a little out of focus and the effect gives the appearance of looking at a miniature scene)
* Sketch
* Fisheye
* Retro
* Cartoon
* Oil painting
* There are more but those are my favorites

You can also adjust the Aperture and Shutter priority in addition to choose a "Manual" mode that allows experienced photographers to tweak the settings as needed.

There is a Wi-Fi setting on the dial. After connecting to a Wi-Fi network you have the option of emailing photos/videos or posting them to Facebook, Picasa, YouTube and Dropbox. I've tested these options and they all work well - though you'll have to login to each of those accounts each time you want to post.

The "Samsung Home Monitor" works OK... as a baby monitor or as security camera. There is a smartphone app (I'm using the one for iPhone). There is a glitch though that prompts a message in Korean. I pushed the option to the left and it worked fine. Though if I hit the "BM_SOUND" button, presumably to also hear what's going on, the app promptly crashes.

There is another app... the "Samsung SMART CAMERA App," that turns your smartphone into a remote viewer from which you can zoom in and out and snap photos. It requires you to connect to a local area Wi-Fi network created by the camera itself. This feature works well.

Additionally there are a couple of remote upload and backup options that work well - though I prefer to just connect the camera directly to my iMac to download.

There have been a couple of firmware updates since I started testing this camera. This is down by choosing the i-Launcher app on your computer (for Macs, this app also has hooks to iMovie and iPhoto and "PC Auto Backup). I'm using a Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC card and because of a glitch in the i-Launcher app, this card isn't recognized. I have done some research learned that the size of the card is the issue. Luckily I had an old 2GB Micro SDXC card handy and tried that: Success! So keep in mind that smaller is better in terms of getting firmware updates. Afterward I swapped the cards and everything works great.

Overall this is the best compact/pocket camera I've ever tested. It's easy to use, takes excellent photos, and I enjoy the occasional post to Facebook right from the camera. Two thumbs up from me. The pros far outweigh any cons.
on February 28, 2015
I was considering to to purchase a Nikon D5200 but it is very expensive. After flipping page after page for days looking for an alternative, I came across this camera. I wanted to be able to capture professional looking photos.
To be honest, my first day with this camera, I fell in love with it. I couldn't put it down.
It's so easy to navigate and there are so many features!
I'll let the photos speak for themselves. The zoom is fantastic. The photo of the bird attached was taken 50 feet away. The clarity is amazing.
I highly recommend this camera for someone who is considering to get a DSLR but cannot afford it yet.
review image review image review image review image
on November 29, 2014
I have only had the camera a few days and taken very few photos, so I will try to update as I have more experience with it. I bought this to replace my Panasonic Lumix retractable lens camera which developed a spot on the sensor. I also use a Canon DSLR, a Sony NEX and a Fuji underwater camera, but always want a decent camera to tuck in a jacket pocket, bag or purse for when photos aren't the main point, just so I can capture the moments that I want to save without wearing a bulky camera around my neck (to dinner or whatever) I always hope to get good low light performance from a camera this size, since the point of the camera is to have it handy anywhere, although I'm realistic about anything but a DSLR being really good at that.

So I started off by experimenting with indoor shots. Usually images are too dark and grainy without flash and have strong color cast problems. My Panasonic always added a lot of yellow to indoor shots and had to be corrected in Photoshop. With flash they tend to be either harshly lit or washed out. I was interested to try the pop up flash on this camera to see if I could effectively bounce the flash by tipping it back when taking the shot to get a more natural but well lit image. I will add photos to show my results, which were dramatic. I like that you only get flash if you pop it up. It doesn't pop up on its own.

Here are other things I noticed
1. With no flash I get a reasonable image if there is enough natural or artificial light on the scene, but it doesn't perform like a DSLR does (no surprise, especially at this price)
2. With flash straight on, I get the usual awful, harshly lit, washed out image.
3. With a little experience in angling the flash up, I get a beautiful image, clearly and evenly lit with no harsh shadows or washout. This feature just went to the top of my 'must have' list for a camera of this type.
4. Non flash indoor photos have a red color cast, as in my oak cabinets look more like cherry and skin tones are more reddish. I would prefer no color cast, but I think leaning to red rather than yellow is better.

I'm sharing two series of photos taken first with no flash, 2nd with straight on flash, 3rd with flash angled up. The first set is in a dark kitchen with no overhead light and little natural light. You'll notice it is also backlit by the window and the stove hood light. The second set is in a living room with some artificial and ample natural light coming in. it is also a little back lit from a lamp. I am also including a photo of our Thanksgiving table using only light from the window, no flash or overhead light, and no back lighting.
Other aspects of the camera I'm noticing have been reviewed amply by other reviewers, but I will add to this review if I experience things worth adding.
on August 6, 2014
What a nice camera to have, cell phone camera just stink to high heaven when compared to the quality of a photo from this camera and this camera is small enough to be carried around pretty much everywhere but it's not small enough to be a pain to handle. I have larger hands so many point and shoot cameras I just find to be a pain in the rear to handle and operate. This one is properly sized in my opinion.

I normally like to cart around my Canon DSLR and a few lenses when I'm going to events for my niece and nephew so that I can get those good photos of them doing as they do, being cool kids, but it's not always feasible to cart around a large camera like that. In steps this little guy, or girl, I haven't decided on what to call it just yet... (had to include a little corny in my review).

The features, good:
16.2MP, ahhh, so much better than the typical cell phone 8-12MP and certainly out performs 16MP cell phones in general picture quality.
Size, as stated, fits bigger hands nicely and easy to reach all the functions and buttons.
Touchscreen - YES, makes changing settings really easy and selecting your focal point as well.
Autofocus assist beam - works great in low light to help the camera focus.
Manual functions, YES, while it's not DSLR setup it's still nice and option in manual mode are pretty good.
Aperture and Shutter priority modes, another good set to have.
P for pro mode, lol, works great.
Scene modes, if you don't know what you should for a particular setting, go to the scene mode and select your conditions and you'll get great responses from the camera
WiFi - so nice! I can link directly to my phone (android) and upload right to my phone and then post photos of whatever is happening right to facebook, email them to friends. upload them to my dropbox or whatever I want. Also I can set it up that once I'm home and it's on my network it will automatically upload all the photos right to my computer. There are a lot of other things that you can do with the WiFi functionality and general sharing within this camera, that's an exceptional feature on this camera.
Bust shooting, take a whole bunch of photos and select the best one to keep or keep them all.
Video: 1080p, 720p 480p and 240p. Why they even bother to include 240p I don't know, you should be slapped if you even consider using it. All video modes are 30 frames per second. Would be nice if they would have done 60fps for 720p but not that big of a deal
***FLASH: okay this is where the camera gets an exception rating in my book, hit the button and the flash pops up with a spring loaded quickness. compose your shot and let the flash charge up, now take a finger and pull the flash backwards so that's aimed at the ceiling and take your photo. You now have a wonderful bounced flash off the ceiling to give a nice soft light to your photo. As long as the ceiling is around 8-10 feet high you will get a great result. More cameras need this feature, though I suspect this was a bit of an accident on samsung's part as if you pull the flash back before pressing the shutter halfway it will not charge the flash, if it was an accident maybe they need to have more accidents like this.
*** built in editing software: another hit with this camera: Just open the photo in the editor and you make adjustment to light, contrast and all basic photo adjustments as well as apply various effect, which there are a number of. It will rotate the image as you like and there are just a lot of other option in there that are nice to have. Some of them include crop (crop out that fool that photo-bombed you in background and gave a ridiculous face), Red-eye removal (works automatically and it seems to do a rather good job). There are other effects that you can use your finger on the touch screen to paint in the effect as well.
21x optical zoom, what a nice zoom level, though I wouldn't mind if the zooming was a little faster it still is pretty decent. Also the general image quality is rather nice for it's size, I just would have liked to see the ability to save a RAW image vs a .jpg, at this price point that really should be an option.

The 2 Faults or CON I have found on this camera, and it was big enough for me to drop it a star as a result, is that there is no tilt sensor in the camera. So if you want to take a photo in portrait aspect, long edge on the side of the photo/turn the camera on it's side, the camera will not auto rotate the image to be vertical. Instead you will have to go into the built in editor and tell it that you want it to be flipped 90deg. right or left. Seeing as I like to switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing I end up sitting there later on messing with the editor rotating the images to the right direction before uploading to my phone. A simple addition of a tilt sensor would have made it much easier for me in general or a setting for portrait or landscape in the quick menu when in the various shooting modes, hopefully that comes in an update....
2nd Flaw - No RAW/.DNG ability, for a camera at the price point of this one it most certainly should have the ability to save a RAW or DNG image (uncompressed photo). While yes most people don't know how to use a RAW image there are still a lot of us out there that do and want such a feature. It's a standard feature on so many other cameras in this price class that it really should be on this model as well. So many other good features and even a built in photo editor but no RAW photo saving, something doesn't seem right. Samsung obviously went through the trouble to put in the photo editor and a host of other great features but then really missed the mark on allowing us to have access to the uncompressed version of the photos taken with the camera.

Overall though this a very good camera with only one flaw but for someone like me it was a big flaw, many other people may not care about such a thing.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2014
I previously owned a Samsung point and shoot camera (SL720) and really enjoyed the picture quality and ease of operation until recently when the lens protection shutter jammed in the half open position. I fiddled around trying to get it unstuck, but to no avail. 7 years old, I figured it was time for a new camera. I did some looking around and found this new Samsung model that had some nice features like wi-fi. Upon receiving the camera in 2 days by Prime, I love Prime, I promptly inserted the battery and allowed it to fully charge. Later in the day, I tried turning the camera on, but noticed I had to hit the power button a couple times. I went through the initial setup setting the date, time, and location and took a couple test photos. I hit the power button to turn it off but it would not turn off. I removed the battery, waited 30 secs, reinserted, and then it wouldn't turn back on. Frustrated but determined, I downloaded the Samsung software and updated the camera firmware. Still no luck trying to turn the camera on. "I think it's dead Jim" came to mind. Back it went for a refund. I'd lost my confidence in Samsung.

Later in the week I did some more searching and eventually bought the SONY WX350 in black. Wow, what a nice little camera! Smaller, more compact, and features galore. The photos look amazing. Just a couple clicks and they are displayed on my TV using the wi-fi connection.

It's a bit more expensive, but well worth it as far as I'm concerned.