5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great package overall
Published 19 months ago by InstantShinobi

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bulky, but in the right direction
I was just like you: I had to check it out.

"Woah! You mean I can use Google Play to download all the apps that I currently have on my galaxy s4!?" I thought as I pressed buy now and awaited the package to come in.

Waited one day, waited half a day. Gotta love Amazon Prime, Camera's in!

After opening the package and looking at the...
Published 11 months ago by bizzkizzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great package overall, May 28, 2013
I was completely suspicious of this thing before I bought it —at this price point I could have invested in a Canon Rebel series but my wife insisted on getting this. As I read the specs further, I was impressed by the array of social sharing options and the 21x optical zoom lens. I bought the Samsung camera and I am fairly impressed with the thing, for what it is: A consumer-friendly touch-heavy camera with some prosumer hardware.

Pros:
— Fast CPU and Android OS gives you a bunch of flexibility and apps!
— Huge, bright screen give you the full view of everything the lens can see
— 21x optical zoom; it doesn't get much better than this on a consumer camera!
— 1080p video with auto-focus and zoom while shooting!
— 4 fps photo mode at 16 MP; impressive capture speed (I'm using a 64 GB Class 10 SDXC card)
— Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS geotagging, and cellular data

Cons:
— Horrible ergonomics for pro camera users (it takes some getting used to)
— Daylight and action/angle shooting is tough when depending on an LCD screen
— Color: Camera tends to push red and occasionally crush dark tones
— Micro HDMI port is on the bottom: Very clunky for setting down to hook camera up to TV for viewing
— Syncing with Mac OS (iPhoto) can be a pain. Android File Transfer works better than Kies to get both photos and video off the camera. The camera's OS does not properly follow DCIM protocol so it requires third-party software to be recognized on the Mac.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and advanced product., April 2, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Camera EK-GC100 8GB Black, Android OS, v4.1 (Jelly Bean) 3G Unlocked HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 (International Version - No Warranty) (Electronics)
It is amazing to have a machine counting on the whole resources of an android device. To send my photos immediatly to the cloud is fantastic. GPS and other apps are very usefull for a tourist. The hardware is also excellent, specially the 21x zoom lenses. On the other hand, I found difficulties to find a suitable case - a high level product like that at least deserves a factory included one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Camera, June 9, 2013
Let's be honest, a comparable camera with the same camera specs can be purchased for much less; however, the Galaxy camera isn't your typical camera and worth every penny for lots of people.

Personally, the only reason why I purchased this camera is because I was shopping around for a camera. I happened to visit my local AT&T store to upgrade my phone, and noticed the Galaxy camera. At first I was surprised to see a camera at the AT&T store and wondered why someone would want to pay a monthly data plan for such a thing. After playing with the camera for a bit, I was sold by the added features of Android - so I turned into one of those "dummies" willing to pay a data plan (AT&T sees it as a tablet, so it's only $10 a month when added to a family plan).

I did have to get my first unit exchanged due to a scratch inside the lens that was affecting all my pictures, but other than that, I have loved the Galaxy camera. Picture quality is great for a point and shoot - of course not Olympus PEN or Sony NEX quality, but it's good. What sets this camera apart from others is the mobile broadband and Android capabilities. As a hobby photographer, I can now take pictures on the go while backing them all up into Google+ without having to search for WiFi or worry that my memory card might fail and I'll loose all my images. When I get home, I can quickly download all my images without having to sync the camera (although the downloading does take longer than syncing).

Here's a few benefits I have found in using this camera...
-I can upload pictures to my Flickr account from anywhere (although Flicker's app doesn't support the Galaxy camera, I use an app called Flickr Uploader
-If I don't know what a landmark is, I can rely on Google Goggles to find out for me (it's like a search engine where you search with images instead of words)
-I can take pictures of stuff around the house, or even at yard sales, and list items on eBay from anywhere.

There are also non-picture benefits, like using Google maps, getting the latest news updates while on the go, and the latest weather reports. I can also play games while bored - which is a plus. Recently I also purchased a Samsung S4, and it uses the same battery as this camera, so if my battery dies, my smart phone can be sacrificed.

There are a few things I don't like, but I think the benefits outweigh these, so I'm not taking a star off the review...
-I wish manual mode on the camera were more friendly - it's a nice to have, but impossible to use on a touch screen
-Battery life isn't so good, but AT&T gave me an extra battery and charger for free. One thing to consider is getting the battery the Samsung S4 uses, as it lasts about 1/3 longer on the camera.
-Memory card - although I purchased a class 10 MicroSD card, it would be nice if this camera could handle a regular class 10 card, as they cost a lot less.

I think I'm sold on the Galaxy Camera, and it is my go to camera for almost everything. Hopefully it's here to stay and Samsung won't kill it. If it stays, this is what I would love to see in future versions...
-A dial, or two, for added manual control
-Option to add a viewfinder
-Ability to replace lens (that would be nice)

Although there's a lack of accessories for this camera (like cases), I really am happy with it. I have had it for about two months, and although it doesn't take the best pictures (when compered to other camera I have, of have had), it is currently my favorite camera, and I usually have it one me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bulky, but in the right direction, January 23, 2014
I was just like you: I had to check it out.

Waited one day, waited half a day. Gotta love Amazon Prime, Camera's in!

After opening the package and looking at the contents I realized I made a huge mistake. The camera is the size of two small digital cameras, the size of two canon digital cameras. The size of a samsung digital point and shoot camera with a screen on the front and on the back, but two of them. It's like putting a large rat in your pocket. It squirms around when you sit down because of it's weird shape and makes you very uncomfortable.

All that being said, the camera itself works very well. I'm traveling to Europe to study abroad so I think it's a bit ridiculous to spend $399ish on a camera that may let me play games and edit my pictures.

If you're looking for a big camera with the ability to upload directly to any app (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) then this camera is perfect. I'd consider it's size to be equal to a DLSR, one of those gigantic cameras with the zoom. Again, in case you didn't get the point: This camera cannot fit in your pocket.

Why I returned this item (and am awaiting my money back - day 2):
--> Too big, like a large rat in my pocket (see above)
--> Too expensive
--> Why not just buy a Nokia Lumia 1020 for this money?

Why I'm giving it three stars:
--> Great quality pictures with AMAZING zoom
--> Amazing HDish screen which really shows your image clearly with vivid colors
--> It's a Samsung camera. Samsung is an amazing company and has great customer support.

Any questions? Ask away, I'm near my computer frequently :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Grey market Camera, no Warranty, October 17, 2013
While I am sure this camera is probably fantastic, the listing does not warn the user that the Camera is grey market, and Samsung Electronic service centers in the US will NOT honor the warranty. My would require being sent to a Samsung India service center.

Off to find a similar model with a US warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Coolest gadget ever, April 11, 2013
Reasons for only 4 stars.

-Device came in chinese. I had to reference my Nexus 7 to change the language.
-Device did not come with a manual. Had to download online.

Everything else
+ Full blown android powered camera!
+ Works with Simple Mobile so say goodbye to terrible data contract plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect camera for following events and uploading quality images, April 1, 2013
I cover a lot of events on property and need a camera that take quality images for marketing/advertising that a regular phone just can not do. I wanted something that was able to upload straight to facebook or dropbox using our Wi-Fi and not have to pay for a carrier. Perfect match with more bells and whistles than I need, but like them

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, April 25, 2013
This camera is absolutelly fantastic... It's a medium term between professional and portable talking about size with professional resources! Other very important points are: the connectivity (3G, Bluethoot and Wi-Fi) and the possibility to install several app to edit photos few seconds after take them. I recommend...

5.0 out of 5 stars Factory Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Camera EK-GC100 8GB White, Android OS, v4.1..., September 21, 2013
I ordered the Factory Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Camera EK-GC100 8GB White, Android OS, v4.1... on Sept. 13, 2013 and received it on the 19th along with a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card that arrived on the same day (see my review for that item) and have used both items several times in setup and getting familiar wtth both and can really say I'm very, very satisfied with both items. The camera has far exceeded my expectatiions in performance so far. While shopping for this camera, I was told by salesmen and reviewers online that the EK-GC100 would not take slow motion video (120 fps) like the newer model EK-GC110, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it certainly does take slow motion video. In fact the EK-GC100 does something that the newer EK-GC 110 will not, and that is connect with a 4G network if a person so desires to subscribe to the service. Thank you Samsung and Amazon.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera with an Amazing OS!, September 23, 2013
This is a wonderful camera. From the perfect operating system to the crisp HD video recording and the amazing photos you can take with it. I highly recommend this to anybody who needs/enjoys a point and shoot camera and wants to take amazing photos and then be able to edit them really quickly.