5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding in its class.
Published on October 28, 2010 by McM

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT an SLR
I just wanted to point out that the title for this listing is misleading. This is NOT an SLR. SLR stands for single lens reflex, those cameras with a mirror, a pentaprism and a viewfinder.
Published on May 10, 2012 by Bobc

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding in its class., October 28, 2010
This review is from: Samsung EV-NX100 Digital SLR with 14.6 MP and HD Recording (Electronics)
I was looking for a second camera to compliment my DSLR and provide a lighter, smaller, option with similar image quality and handling. I compared all the EVIL cameras on the market at the time (September 2010). The Sony NEX series looks good, but is larger with a lens attached and significantly more expensive. The micro 4/3 cameras have good accessory support built up already but I wanted a larger sensor and a tighter total package.

The NX100 is comparable in size to a film rangefinder, but much lighter. Handling is superb - I can reach the top scroll wheel easily without looking, and while the thumb wheel take a little movement to reach that's not an issue with the i-Function lenses. Let me take a moment to talk about the i-Function. This handling advantage was the tie breaker over a Sony for me. I don't use it very often since I'm still not used to having it there, but it is a really great addition and improves the overall handling a lot. One of the big things I like about my DLSR is that all the functions I want to use or adjust are on the face of the camera - I can tweak, flick, and flip without moving my eye from the viewfinder. This is basically what the i-function emulates without all the bulk and complexity of the larger cameras. I haven't used the auto and scene modes too much, but Manual, Aperture Priority, and Shutter Priority work great and the interface is well sorted for these. The menu system is a little rough, but not as bad as you might think and luckily you really rarely have to use it for anything after the initial setup.

Manual focus is quick and direct feeling, though not as satisfying as a manual connection to the helicoid like in a traditional lens. The trade off is a smaller lens with a smaller, quieter motor and a really tight collapsed package - I'll take it. The focusing action is about a half-turn from near to far and the motion is easy and fluid.

Auto focus is a little iffy in low light or low contrast but overall is totally usable and works great in normal to bright lighting. All of the EVIL cameras use contrast-detect auto focus and are thus slower than the phase-detect auto focus in SLR type cameras and the NX100 is no exception. This seems to be par for the course in the EVIL class and hasn't really been an issue so far, but I would like to see faster AF.

Focusing is nearly silent and the included 20-50 compact zoom is an excellent performer. I'd like it if it had a slightly bigger aperture, but the camera's high ISO performance makes it usable in modest low light situations. So far all my ISO 1600 shots have been more than usable with just a little noise visible zoomed in.

The screen is bright and beautiful. I'm looking to try the accessory finder as soon as it's available, but for now using the back screen like a point-n-shoot is fine and works like any other camera this size.

The reviews I read online indicated there was some problem with write speed, but in my use pictures are written to the buffer and then the card very quickly. I shoot raw + fine jpg with a Sandisk extreme class 10 SD card and have had no trouble in rapid-fire single shot or the burst mode shooting.

Lens and accessory selection is a little light still, especially i-Function lenses. I also picked up the 30mm f/2 lens, and it is a great performer on this body. The stock lens collapses quickly into a tight little package, but the 30mm pancake really makes this camera small for the sensor size. It's not quite pocketable, but would easily slip into a jacket pocket or small bag. The included strap works well over the shoulder and the camera tucks away behind my arm without any noticeable weight. The strap does say Samsung on it, but it's not nearly as obvious as the Nikon or Canon straps are and so is pretty discrete.

Samsung has a lens road map on their website that indicates they'll be pushing more glass out for the NX mount over the next year. In the mean time the basics are covered - small wide to normal zoom included, a 50-200 tele-zoom is available and there are 20mm and 30mm f/2 primes on the market now. A macro normal and portrait oriented mild tele are planned. There are also adapters available from third parties for most mounts, so existing glass can be put to work.

I'm very happy with the NX100 and would recommend it to anyone looking at cameras in this class.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice camera, just don't expect to replace dslr with it., December 10, 2010
Shredlock (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have a couple days with this camera, the 20-50 stock lens, and a 30mm f2 fixed, plus external flash SEF20A.

Overall impression: it's a keeper, but no miracle. it does everything and it is amazing to see Samsung cramp the APS-C chip in such a tight package, so once you nailed the shot, it blows all other compacts away thanks to the huge chip. But (there is always a but) you will really have to pay attention around camera design quirks or you will miss the shots.

- camera design: overall this is an okay design considering it is trying to cramp a lot in the camera . comfortable to hold, but slick as eel (i taped a rubber pad on the body for grip, and that solved the problem). The control dial rotates and press 4 ways, however the it takes a very light force to press, so this is frustrating to use because I have accidently press the 4 way dial while rotating the wheels. In addition, my palm sit right on top of this and i find myself again with the same accidental pressing of the WB dial. I believe if they move this dial on top of the camera (rotate and push)plus stiffen up the dial push force, this problem would be solved. The rotating/zoom wheel on the top of the camera is in a great place but under-utilized so far and hopefully they will update software to exploit this wheel potential (for example, i see a huge need for a focus-overide wheel, just in case the camera misinterpret the focus point, which can happen very often and sometime tricky to re-teach it - Hey Samsung, listen up!)

- focus: coming from a dslr user (i have a pentax k20d which use essentialy the same sensor) i find the focus ability on this is still very limited. In low light the camera have a very hard time pinpoint focus. It also have a hard time on low contrast situation, depite the use of focus assist lamp. my dslr did not miss the shot in the same situation. Manual focus is good, although the "magnification" mode is not magnified enough for critical maunal focusing. For daylight use, the focus is fast, but pin-point focus will always be hit and miss. trigger delay is very minimal. For 'wish list' on improving pin-point focus, see my comment above regarding the zoom wheel.

- video: Video output is nice but does not seem to allow continuous focus during filming. UPDATE: the "depth of field" preview button on the left side is the re-focus button during video.

- exposure accuracy: excellent in both day and night. probably a little over exposed, but easily corrected.
- output quality: good so far, although i have seen some anomaly on JPEG output(smear and unexplainable streak coloring). Could be user-error, but so infrequent i haven't been able to pin the causes.

- Menu is intuitive but limited. i like to see a bit more depth of menu controls.

- kit lens 20-50 is great for outdoor / daylight use. Plastic mount but appears sturdy. there is not enough wide angle coverage, but it is an impressive zoom design for being so small and light and still have sufficient glass coverage for the APS-C chip. being an f4-5.6 it is not for low light situation, but this lens will be forgiving to a novice when there is plenty of light.

- additional lens: the EX-S30NB 30mm f2 is a gem. Metal mount, compact, light, sharp wide open and f2.0 is nothing to sneeze at. This lens taxes the NX100 contrast focusing quite a bit (see above). It pairs nicely with the NX100 for me to tolerate the camera shortcomings.
- SEF20A flash is a very nice compact bounce design. it is not that much bigger than the 15A and allow a more juicy AA battery plus bounce ability. rating of 20 is just adequate for intimate enviroment in bounce flash use, don't expect it to flood the room with brilliance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, November 3, 2010
I compared this camera to the DMC-G2...Both are great cameras...The G2 has more options,touch screen and very nice picture quality..The NX100 lack 2 important things...EVF and a built in flash....and you can add the lack of image stabilization in the kit lens to the negatives...But there are few important things make this camera a winner...
The size is great...Close to the size of P&S...
Shape is beautiful.
Focus is very accurate.
Price is reasonable.
The picture quality is fantastic;this waht made me keep it...The colors are vibrant and oily...The DMC-G2 colors are great but harsh if you campare to the NX100.
Now there are many web sites offering great discounts like free flash and a hundred off each lens...Look at b h and cruchfield...So the flash is not a big deal...
If you are looking for picture quality,then this camera is a good option....I think it's under rated.Sadly it's not sold by amazon yet.
I returned the G2 and I'm keeping it...
Update 12/6/2010...
The 50-200mm lens is simply great...The image stabilization is fantastic..Picture is razor sharp...Focus is speedy.
The flash that came with the camera as bonus is also great...I think as long samsung will ship this flash for free,then the fact that this camera has no built in flash is a plus:)
One disadvantaged is that the face detection is week..But again you can use the spot focus and the focused subject is razoe sharp.
I did not notice until now that I'm missing the image stabilization in the kit lens...Maybe because I use always shutter speeds more than 1/30s...
I do blieve now that the absence of flash(as long as you can get the bonus flash) and image stabilization should not be a deal breaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pro quality results for $399.95???...Watch out Canon & Nikon!!!, June 26, 2011
First of all...I am a Pro photographer(over 17 years.)
2nd...I have always said I would NEVER own a camera that didn't have a viewfinder!
3rd...I really,really like this camera!
Bought mine last Friday as a B'day present to myself fully expecting to use the 30 day return policy...
Well,it's now Sunday evening and I have totally changed my mind.
Here are my impressions.
1)The Camera:A beautiful mix of modern and retro styling.Potential to become one of the few collectible
digital cameras.Anyone who has used the newer Leica M's or the Contax G series will most
likely love this one!Feels very well built,controls and menus are well laid out and easy to navigate,quick
response times and well balanced with the included 20-50mm zoom.
(Some reviewers feel the surface is a bit slippery but,I disagree.)
Is it perfect???
An optical viewfinder and a PC socket would make it close though!!!
2)The 20-50mm Zoom:Way better than I was expecting...Not a huge range but,maybe that's why it so good.
At 6.3 & 7.1 results are above average...even at 500 ISO.
I do plan on getting the 16mm and the 60 Macro when they become available...
3)The Sensor:Nice smooth dynamic range...I set my camera to the portrait mode and use 6500* as my
standard white balance and,it gives me a beautiful film-like effect...I like it.
4)The software:Again,better than I expected.Some cool,useful tools and features but,I could'nt open
non-Samsung files in the raw converter area...too bad.

So,just to wrap it up...
This camera is better than the $399 price tag by a wide margin.
Is it pocketable like some designs???
Only a jacket or gargo pants pocket...not a shirt pocket,
The LCD screen IS better than anything I've seen but,I'd still LOVE a built-in viewfinder!
And a PC socket would make it usable with Pro level flash units.
Samsung IS one of the premier electronics manufactures in the world...
I really hope Samsung commits to this one...It's a beauty!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compact System Camera, May 23, 2011
This is a great all around camera. The picture quality is very good, colors out of the camera are very nice and pictures are coming out very sharp. Dynamic range is also really good. Only complaint I have is the noise at high iso. It's actually not bad at all since there isn't a lot of noise reduction compared to sony, but black areas and shadows in pictures are pretty speckled in the samsung. But, at high iso the colors stay better saturated than panasonics m4/3's.

I bought the camera for the 30mm 2.0 fixed lens and I am extremely happy with the combo. The lens has received great reviews and the bokeh and shallow dof looks great. This was another reason why I chose it over a m4/3 camera... m4/3 only offers a 20mm 1.7 which I liked, but I hated the muted colors at high-iso. Plus the focal length of that lens was a little wide for my taste.

Handling of the camera is great. It isn't as small as it looks in the pictures, but it is definitely smaller than regular DSLRs. You will definitely notice the difference in size and weight after taking for an outing. And it's not much bigger than a Canon G12 if you use the 20mm or 30mm lens. It's also pretty light.

Controls are very standard, which is great since you don't need to learn anything special to use it. The two dial setup plus the d-pad will please power users and experienced photogs. The AMOLED screen is extremely nice to look at and is probably the best I've seen on a DSLR. It really impresses other people and makes them think the camera takes insanely good pictures.

Lastly, the in-camera editing is really good. I usually don't use this kind of stuff in cameras since they are usually gimmicky, but the facial re-touch is so good at clearing up faces! I use it all the time now. Also, the panorama mode is great and other effects like vignetting and high contrast are just like instagram...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Compact With A Pro Sensor, July 11, 2011
I recently purchased this because of its small, unobtrusive size. I have several dslrs, but they can be a pain to tote around on an everyday basis.
The main reason for deciding on this camera, aside from the many positive reviews, is the adaptability to other makes of lenses. I have a varied collection of Leica, Nikon, Minolta and Konica lenses, and adapters are available for each of those brands. I am currently using a 50mm 2.0 Leitz Summicron as a carry-around, and I'm getting spectacular results (Rolls Royce quality at Volkswagon prices). When used in aperture mode the camera automatically sets the shutter speed, and of course, manual mode is an option as well
The reason I didn't give 5 stars is the lack of a viewfinder. The AMOLD screen is fine inside, or outside in relatively dim lighting, but is difficult to manually focus in bright light. An auxiliary viewfinder is available as an option, but costs nearly as much as the camera itself. Also, you cannot use the viewfinder and flash at the same time, since they both use the same shoe.
I would highly recommend this camera to someone looking for a compact digital that packs the wallop of a dslr as the result of it's aps-size chip.
What's great about it: Compactness and adaptability
What's not so great: Lack of a viewfinder
I would recommend this to a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, May 10, 2011
This is my second NX series camera (I also have an NX10). With the latest firmware upgrade (from Samsung), this camera keeps getting better and better. I do find this camera a lot of fun to use (though not as fun as my Olympus EPL-1) however the picture quality is about on par with the Olympus in low light situations even though the sensor is larger.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good little camera, June 17, 2011
I recently purchased the NX 100 after considering all of the 4/3 cameras as well as the Sony. There is a lot to like about it and a bit to hate. First downloading the firmware updates was not easy. The update for the lens and camera are downloaded as bin files and do not self extract as almost every compressed file does today. The instructions did not give suggestions as to how to decompress them. I needed to call customer support and spoke to support person who was marginally competent. She did suggest using Winrar to decompress the file but then her instructions were wrong and those on the web site more correct. Once you have decompressed the file, copy either the lens firmware for the specific lens you are using or camera firmware copy it to the SD card, insert it in the camera and then go to menu 3 and it is pretty much automatic from there. Once that is done erase the file on the SD card and load the other update on the SD card, put it in the camera and go to menu 3 and it is easy from there. The difficulty doing this did not make me feel warm and fuzzy about the camera or Samsung.

The camera controls are also not intuitively obvious. Being male, I don't read instruction books and just charge ahead. Read the instruction book! The camera can do darn near anything. You can set it on program and just push the shutter release and you will get good pictures but if you want great pictures, you need to learn how to use this camera.

I compared pictures on an Canon Rebel t2i, Canon S90 and this camera and I viewed them on a 23 inch screen and on a 42 inch screen. I set each camera to program mode, as I think that is the setting used most commonly and took a portrait and a cityscape. All 3 cameras on a 23 inch screen looked just about the same. On a 42 inch screen there were differences: I thought the Samsung won, the TSi came in second and the s90 third. I thought the color rendition was best on the Samsung on both screens.

My conclusions: if you are looking for a professional level SLR, this camera is not it. If you are looking for an alternative to a SLR on a high amateur level, this is a very good choice as it does as much, perhaps more and is small and light weight. Samsung has promised a fairly large selection of lenses and so far has not delivered. I have the kit 20-50 mm lens and would love an 18-200mm lens which will be available??????? If you purchase a prime 20 or 30 mm lens, the camera is almost the same size as a point and shoot. With the 20-50 mm lens, the camera is very light but will not fit in a pocket. Would I buy it knowing what I now know? Yes. Please note I do not take movies and have not tested the movie mode; others have reviewed this function and not been impressed

Added 6/19: I have used the camera more and my impressions are color rendition is good, pictures are sharp; however, action photos are difficult as the camera does not focus fast enough. I have also noted since upgrading to the new firmware that gridlines cannot be displayed, nor can a histogram. It is not possible to delete the icons from the screen. All three of these functions can be changed according to the instruction booklet. A call to Samsung escalated to level 2 support, did not have an answer. I have Googled this issue and found no one has reported it. I have been told I will receive a call from Samsung early this week which will answer the issue. As the rest of the camera seems to function well, I suspect this is a firmware issue. I will give followup. After writing this I decided to use the flash during the evening and after attaching the dedicated flash, the flash menu remained greyed out - meaning I could not use the flash. I fiddled with it a few times and finally called Samsung support. I am now sending the camera and flash in for repair. At least they provide a free UPS mailing label. When I get the camera back, I will report on how prompt the repair was and if they fixed all the issues.

The camera repair took less than the promised 5 days and more importantly fixed the flash and the display.Samsung did an excellent job in communicating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain in SLR land, January 12, 2013
EcoActive (arroyo grande, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This takes crystal clear pictures. The polycarbonate case does not come across cheap to me. Drops a lot of weight and is strong space age material.
Do need a flash for the lens that came with it since no image stabilization for indoors or need to usa a tripod. They have a lot of lenses that do have image stabilization and their excellent quality. Have a sony nex-5, Olympus pen and this takes at least the same if not better pictures.
Full size apc-s slr sensor on board. Have had better battery life than what was quoted also.
A+++

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one great camera...., December 13, 2011
Stephen (Oakdale, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
This is my favorite camera of all time.

I bought it because of the price, but I use it all the time and I have never been disappointed in any shot it produced. Sure it does not have a built in flash, I never like them anyway, love the hot shoe. It does not have a view finder, but I have come to like the screen, it like handheld mini view camera. The lens is great but I find myself manually focusing one of my Nikon lens that I attach with an adapter. The camera feels great in my hands and I take it every where