Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

VINE VOICEon October 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let's talk about the good parts of the printer first. It's a relatively small footprint compared to other color laser printers I've used. I also find the speed to be very nice. It's quick to print out what I send to it. The picture quality is very good. From all this standpoint, this is a very solid printer. It works as you would expect or even better. But then, there's the wireless aspect.

I wanted to have this because I have a large number of wireless devices in the house, several tablets, a couple of laptops, and I want to be able to print without having to either plug into the wired part of my network or use some form of sneakernet to get the files from the wireless machine to a wired one. A wireless printer would be perfect. I jumped at the chance to get this set up in our system. The instructions for setting it up are very straight forward and I followed them to the letter (yes, I actually read the instructions). The printer wouldn't connect to our network. I had recently changed from WEP security to WPA2, and I couldn't get the printer to see the WPA security, so I tried switching it to WEP. Still nothing. I did some quick searches on the internet and determined that it might be the Macbook Pro I was using to configure it, so I reset the printer to the factory defaults through the little display window (not backlit, hard to understand what you're doing with it, a royal pain) and connected everything to a desktop computer. Still no joy. I tried several different methods for seeing the printer from the network or getting the printer to see the network. I got a connection once, but it immediately went away.

So I called tech support. To Samsung's credit, I got through relatively quickly (only about a 10 minute wait, which for consumer products is pretty good). The support guy was direct and helpful, but we had to follow the script. This meant restarting my network router, the machine I was trying to set things up from and the printer. Rebooting did no good. So we went through more of the script until he had exhausted everything I had tried. Then I outlined the extra steps I had taken, including modifying my network security several times. At this the guy decided to try to bump me up to tier 2 support. Again, all kudo's to Samsung, I only had about a two minute wait for tier 2.

This guy was also helpful. I connected him up remotely to the computer I was trying to configure the server through (kid's machine, no worries about getting anywhere useful on my systems). He then started walking through to make the printer connect to the network. It took him several different methods to get it configured, all connected through the USB, not wirelessly. Finally he connected directly to the printer through it's default IP address (not a process in the documentation) and gave it a dedicated IP address because it was evidently having a hard time with my DHCP connection. From there he was able to get it connected to my network. I then tried two different wireless devices and it worked. YAY, time for at least a four star review, right?

Wrong. A day later I tried to print to the printer. No connection. I had to go through reconnecting the USB cable to it again to get it to connect to the network, which hadn't changed in the intervening time. Now, I'm sitting and looking at a print queue that still can't connect to the wireless printer.

In short, a very good printer, but I would not say that it is actually wireless since it can't seem to remain connected to the system at all.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Currently amazon offers this printer for 17% off the sticker price, and this makes it a great buy in my mind.

The 415NW is a color laser printer - most small laser printers I've seen that do color don't do them well, but this is an exception. It doesn't do 'photo quality' in my mind, but it will be sufficient for most every other need. The black and white looked very crisp and clean, and I had no complaints there.

If you're looking for a laser printer you either do high volume printing or are thinking economically (ink is expensive for a laser printer, but per page is cheaper than an inkjet printer), and with that in mind this printer is pretty good. It has a several eco options for reducing printing costs further (greyscale, using less ink, and the like), so you can definitely get your money's worth over time with the 415NW. When trying out using less toner, for example, I didn't notice a big reduction in quality, so you won't suffer for being economical.

One of the big draws of this printer is its wifi- and internet-capability. It very easily syncs with your wifi network - I found setup a breeze both on a mac and a pc. The printer has many different ways to connect to your pcs/network (usb, ethernet, etc), but I found the wireless to be easiest. I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the setup went.

There is an option to configure the printer to print from your smartphone/tablet, which I haven't tried yet (I honestly have no need for the capability at the moment). I did configure it, however, and it was just as easy to setup as the wifi printing.

One note - this printer is *big* for a home printer / home office printer. It weighs over 36 lbs and requires a 2x2x2 foot cube to sit in, essentially (the printer requires clearance on every side for ventilation/airflow purposes). This is larger than many other home laser printers, so it is something to be aware of.

Overall I can definitely recommend the 415NW if you're in the martket for a printer in this price range. While it won't do anything else (scan, fax, copy) it prints very, very well.

*edit* fixed a typo
on September 20, 2013
Purchased this printer new and could not set up the wireless with the software provided. I kept getting an error message that the internet cable was plugged into the machine and it was not. I contacted Samsung support and they were able to take over the screen on my computer and see it remotely. After 2 hours they could still not get the wireless drivers and software to load correctly, thus they told me my printer was defective. I returned to Amazon for an exchange (no problem there) and the second printer came a few days later...unfortunately I had the exact same problem with the second printer. I spent a few more hours on the phone with Samsung and they finally decided to send out a repair specialist. The technician contacted me and set up an appointment, I was informed that it probably was a firmware issue but not to try and fix it myself because I could damage the machine. He also told me that there was a high volume of service calls for this printer and that he was ordering two new boards with the upgraded firmware already installed. To make a long story short, Samsungs support department made three seperate appointments with me and no showed on all three appointments and never called to cancel. I had called the Samsung service department manager prior to the third appointment as was guarnteed they would show and talked to the technician at 3:30 that day, she said she would be there at 5:30...she never showed or called. At this point I contacted Samsungs Office of the President (because I got nowhere with their custome service dept except directed back to set up an appointment for service)and requested an exchange with a firmware upgrade already installed and was told once again that they only repair and do not exchange, even if its new.

The owners manual english version is 270 pages and 24 pages are dedicated for the wireless set up..the reading of this left more questions than answers and I am very computer literate. This manual and hardware/software problem was enough to make you want to bang your head against the wall. Firmware upgrades are needed right out of the box and requires onsite service to install. The reality is that that no one even looked at the printer and parts were being ordered for suspected firmware upgrades. Could the service department not down load and install firware upgrades either. The purchase of this printer was very time consuming...really a nightmare and Samsung did not care enough after all that happened to exchange the printer. I returned the printer and now have a few new spare parts....I simply refused to wait around for a fourth service department no show. I had no confidence in the longevity of the product or lots of free time to waste trying to coordinate future Samsung onsite repairs for firmware up grades etc. with an unreliable support department. It was a nice looking printer and I really tried and wanted to get it to work but I did not need an expensive large statue in my home office. So much for Samsung printers and customer service.
on January 10, 2013
Great printing, but the wireless is unmanageable. If Samsung could get the wireless part figured out, this would be five stars. I had to return it. Customer service chat folks were nice, but they seemed to have a few techniques that were rather basic, then said they'd have to send out a repairman, said they would schedule it, but never did. Now I have an HP and setup was easy, works beautifully...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll preface my review by making a few disclaimers:
1. I received this printer from Amazon Vine
2. I regularly work from my home office & I'm in a Master's degree program = I print a lot of documents, papers, etc.
3. I already own an all-in-one (scan, print, copy, & fax) printer

That being said, I've had the chance to set up and use the Samsung CLP-415NW for approximately a week and I'm very impressed with this little printer. If you're reading a review on a laser-jet printer then it's relatively safe to assume you already know the differences between laser-jet & inkjet printing. If not, essentially laser-jet printers have been more of the workhorse of the printing world and are more frequently used in offices than homes. Laser-jet printers are historically more expensive but offset the hardware expense with cheaper toner cartridges rather than liquid ink found in inkjet printers. Laser-jet printers are also faster and more accurate than the typical inkjet printer and the per copy dollar amount is cheaper.

This little printer is heavier than the typical inkjet printer so be warned that if you can't lift objects around 30lbs you might need a helping hand. The printer comes with the power & USB cable, a driver disc and a user manual. Setup is very easy, however, be warned that utilizing the WiFi functionality requires you to first use the included 3.3ft USB cable, install the Samsung driver software and then setup the printer through the GUI. Only then can you unplug the USB cable and have a truly WiFi ready printer. This is different than most current home-use inkjet printers that have the ability to join a network straight from the printer's physical menu. The toner cartridges come pre-loaded in the printer but will need the safety tabs removed prior to first using. Setting the cartridges is very easy as is removing them. I should note that I did try using the WPS (kind of like an easy button for wireless setup) feature but could not get my router and the CLP-415 to communicate so I went with the wired setup first then activated the wireless capability from inside the GUI.

Samsung's software (Easy Printer Manager) is a sight to behold. Installing (I'm on Windows 7) was as easy as popping in the disc, confirming the install directory and waiting a few minutes for the software to finish installing. Much like Samsung's consumer product line has instilled a sense of ease, intuition, and style in their menu's and interfaces on everything from Samsung phones, televisions, and even appliances the same is true here. The GUI is clean, efficient, very responsive and designed to intuitively layout information on the printer. The HP's and Dell's of the printing world could learn something from Samsung in this department. Another neat feature is the inclusion of the SyncThru web service which features even more detailed information on the printer including estimated sheets remaining (per print cartridge), fuser life, usage counters and much more.

I have little need to print pictures. In fact on the rare occasion that I do I simply order prints from the myriad of websites that offer those services. My interest is in quality, clear print-jobs on documents, the occasional graph and if needed a small picture subset in a Word document. My experience with this printer started off a little rocky - my first two print jobs both jammed the printer - but after clearing the jam I discovered I didn't set the size of the paper correctly in the tray - the printer was off and running perfectly. The print demo is a gorgeous, colorful picture of a butterfly on a bed of flowers - very impressive. More importantly two documents I printed were fantastic with crystal-clear lettering, no smudges and both printed very, very quickly.

The CLP-415NW uses four toner cartridges (note that the included print cartridges yield less than the figures below at about (700 pages for color and 1000 pages for black):
Cyan: CLT-C504S (1,800 pg yield)
Magenta: CLT-M504S (1,800 pg yield)
Yellow: CLT-Y504S (1,800 pg yield)
Black: CLT-K504S (2,500 pg yield)

This printer also features some cool features to save on printing costs including Eco-Print. The included Eco-Print default settings save on everything from ink, energy and paper by reducing print quality, double-sided printing, grayscale, skipping blank pages, etc. There is even a simulation that indicates what your settings equal in terms of energy, toner and paper savings by percentage. Very cool feature for anyone tired of spending too much on printing!

You Might Like This Printer If:
If you're looking for a small printer for a home office or small business setting this printer might be right for you. You'll probably be the type of person who is more interested in printing reports, finished professional products or documents instead of printing pictures of the kiddies to hang on the wall. Likely you're also tired of the higher costs associated with ink-jet printing, already have a scanner, copier, fax machine all-in-one machine and are looking to supplement your office with a dedicated printer.

UPDATE 11/12/12:
I've read various reviews on this printer and folks having issues with the WiFi setup. I recently had my own after returning home from a week-long trip in which the printer remained in "sleep" or low-power mode. I went to print a document as normal from my Windows 7 laptop and noticed that the print-job was sent to the printer, however, after a few minutes nothing was printing. I cancelled the job in the print queue and tried printing again with the same result. Eventually after power-cycling the printer (same result - no print) I booted up my desktop computer that I used to originally install the Samsung printer drivers. Once it was up I was able to print immediately from the desktop. I tried again printing from my laptop and this time my document was printed immediately. My setup is completely wireless (even from my desktop) though I'm thinking there was an issue initializing the printer and it could only be done by the machine that was originally used to configure the printer. It's a strange issue and one that thankfully hasn't reappeared.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
No I did not buy it from Amazon- after reading all the negative reviews I paid more to buy from a local store so I could return it easily if I had problems.

I got it to work with my MacBook Air but it definitely was NOT plug & play. The driver does not auto install like every other printer I've ever owned on a Mac, and since the Macbook Air does not include a CD player, the CD that comes with the printer is useless. You need 3 pieces of software off the Samsung CLP-415NW support page to make it work with a Mac and none of this is very clearly documented in the pitiful instructions that come with it (which basically tells you to insert the CD in my nonexistent CD ROM player and install the software). You will also need to change the Security settings (under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General to 'Allow applications downloaded from "Anywhere"'- because apparently Samsung is not an approved Apple developer- And you wonder why......

This is what you need off the Samsung support site.
1. The Print driver ver 5.00 for Mac OS 10.4-10.8
2. Easy Wireless Setup (under the software tab of the Samsung CLP-415NW support page)
3. Easy Printer Manager Software (also under the software tab)
Each one is installed separately. When you install the driver and add the printer to your list of printers you'll see a Window where at the bottom it has the Name of the printer 'Samsung CLP-410 Series' + a serial number of some sort- under that it says 'Use: AirPrint' - Do NOT use AirPrint. Use the next one down in the drop down menu named 'Samsung CLP-410 Series'. You will see that option when you click on 'AirPrint'.

When you install the 'Easy Wireless Setup' (which you have to do wired to the printer with a USB cable) do not change the default password- it will promptly forget your custom password and render your printer useless until you run your 'Easy Wireless Setup' again- or at least I think that's what happened. Then again it might have stopped working wirelessly an hour later because I used the default Airprint when I installed it the first and second time. When I manually printed out a 'Network Configuration' to troubleshoot my wireless connection problem I noticed the PIN code had switched back to it's default code after I had changed it during my first 'Easy Wireless Setup'

After you use 'Easy Wireless Setup' you will have 2 'Samsung CLP-410 Series' under System Preferences > Print & Scan. The first one (top one) is the one you setup with the USB cable- you can delete that one and leave the wireless one.

Now if you managed by some miracle to get the driver installed and the wireless configured properly, you open 'Samsung Easy Printer Manager' (will be in your doc if you selected the option to put it there during the install- otherwise you can get to it by going to System Preferences>Print & Scan>select 'Samsung CLP-410'>Options & Supplies>Utility>'Open Printer Utility'. If everything is installed properly when you open 'Samsung Easy Printer Manager' you'll get a big window with a picture of your printer and a colorful list of all your toners with colored bars showing how much is remaining in each. If something is wrong with your installation you'll get a very drab window with everything greyed out and no information at all. Note- you should be able to see your toner levels and printer status even when the printer is asleep. I had to install this printer 4 times before I got the wireless/printer password/and NO AirPrint figured out and then suddenly my 'Samsung Easy Printer Manager' which I had given up on as DOA suddenly came to life.

Printing from your iPhone or iPad is also a pain since you have to use Samsung's printing app instead of just printing straight from whatever app your in- and I have yet to figure out how to get the Samsung app to access my Yahoo mail account so good luck printing emails.

Now for the good: The print quality is superb- this is the main reason I give this thing 5 stars. Way better photo quality than the Samsung CLP-300 which this is replacing in my house- and it's faster too. And it handles very heavy paper- You will have a very difficult time finding another laser printer under $2000.00 that will handle 80lb cover paper. My kids love to print birthday cards on greeting card paper so this was a very important feature. Another very nice feature is it's auto sleep and auto wake. It goes to sleep after about a minute of inactivity but wakes right up when you send it something to print. The lights still flicker when it's printing but at least now I don't have to worry about how much power it's using if I forget to turn it off- in fact I just leave it on 24/7 unlike my old CLP-300 which would flicker the lights every few minutes even when it wasn't printing. I absolutely hate paying 70.00+ for a set of inkjet cartridges to replace a set that is still full because nobody printed anything for a couple months and now the cartridges dried up. I've gone through 3 sets of inkjet cartridges on my HP Envy in 2 years and printed maybe 100 pages with it? That's the real cost of inkjets that reviews never seem to mention- 2.00 per page! My CLP-300 on the other hand went 4+ years before it ran out of ink on it's STARTER toner! Apparently dry ink doesn't dry out. Speaking of toner, the toner cartridges are very easy to install (don't forget to take the orange plastic strips off of them before turning it on) They all slide out on a front tray and just drop into place. The printer is heavy, but I have an old school belief that if it's heavy that means it's less likely to break- and is probably the reason it can handle heavy paper in the first place.

So if you can get past the driver/software/wireless installation you will have one of the highest resolution color laser printers available that handles heavier paper than any other laser printer and uses ink that will not dry out and become useless in 2 months like every inkjet out there will.
on September 15, 2013
To preface this review I have to say I was on the fence about buying this printer because of all the negative talk about the wireless setup. I am glad I didn't listen! I had everything up and running on a pc and macbook, wireless included within 20 minutes.

I attribute my success to the updated drivers/software Samsung has for this printer on their website. Get this update before you try to setup the printer with the included cd. I can't provide external links to websites in reviews but if you google "Samsung CLP-415NW" it should be your first choice. Choose "Support" then click "Need More Downloadable File" and finally click "Drivers". The driver version I used was V3.12.13.04:24 for Windows dated 08/30/2013, file size 23.89MB.

Once downloaded I ran the .exe file and worked through the setup process. I initially setup the printer via usb, following the instructions you plug the printer into the usb port halfway through the setup. Once that was completed, I looked in the start menu and found a new folder that was installed for the printer, clicked it and chose Wireless Setup. Your first option is to choose how to connect with the printer and since it was already setup via usb I selected this choice. You then choose your network and enter the password for it...It connected to my network within 1 minute. That was it for the Windows setup.

With the printer setup on my network I moved to the macbook and configured it. First, download the new driver from Samsung again, this time I downloaded version V5.00.02 dated 08/30/2013, file size 7.32MB. Install the driver and exit the program, I did not choose "add a printer" on the last screen. Go into System Preferences and choose "Print and Scan". Click the + sign to add a printer and the CLP should be in the list...Click it and you're done.

I haven't printed a lot of documents yet, but I am very impressed with the quality of the print and overall appearance of the items I have printed. Setup was not difficult and I have not experienced any issues to date. Wireless setup worked flawlessly and seems to be much improved over earlier reviews.
on August 27, 2012
First, my criteria: I wanted a home office color laser printer with [1] solid print quality (I rarely print anything for a client from home, but having tools to produce output that isn't embarrassing is convenient), [2] duplex printing, [3] wired and wireless network connection options for flexibility, [4] a reasonable sleep/power-saving mode to keep the printer available when I need it, [5] iOS printing options (AirPrint), and [6] a real/street price in the $200-300 range. With this printer, I gave up only the duplex printing (#2). I could complain about the "starter" cartridges, but every laser printer seems to include these now to drive down the sticker price -- so it's an annoyance across the category.

The CLP-415NW is lighter, shorter, and wider -- and slightly noisier -- than the HP Color LaserJet 2605dn it replaced, and the difference in print quality for images and photos is startling. No one will mistake the Samsung's plain-paper prints for "real" photos, but they're as good as an average inkjet's photo output. Photos from the HP were clearly from an inexpensive color laser printer (from the mid-2000s). The important test, of course, is text. It's very crisp, with very clean edges, even colored text (like Amazon's orange headings) has crisp edges without yellow or magenta fringing.

Three small issues:
[1] the power draw when printing is noticeably higher (according to the spec sheets, the Samsung uses "less than 380W" when printing vs. 255W for the HP) -- but the power save mode works well [see update below];
[2] to set up the wireless networking and the "wake from sleep," the two features that I think many users would want, I had to use the advanced setup options (the first installation with the "simple" wizard didn't properly save the network information and didn't automatically enable wake from sleep -- very annoying) -- once properly set up, both are working reliably [see update below]; and
[3] the print drivers for my Mac weren't automatically installed ([...[) because they're not (yet?) available through Apple.

Updated 19-Jan 2013:
Revising rating from 4 to 3 stars.
The print quality is still quite nice at this price point, but the unreliability of power save/network connectivity is quite annoying. (I've taken to leaving it switched off and turning it on just before I need to print.) There's a Windows-only firmware update available for download on Samsung's site as of December 2012, but no notes to indicate whether it addresses this problem.
review image
on March 3, 2014
I needed a high quality printer that would print quickly and make my documents look good. I am not printing anything special - just colored flyers. Since purchasing the printer (4 months ago) I have printed less than 500 pages on it. Within 2 months I got my first of several errors.This error indicated that my ink was depleted, even though it showed on my screen as half full. I called in and was told that this was a glitch and there was no way to get the printer to recognize the remaining ink so I had to purchase brand new ink ($400 worth). I put that in the machine a month ago and have printed less than 50 pages. Yesterday I went to print a two page document. One page printed and the second page didn't. When I looked I saw that there was an error message. I called Samsung and they said that it is an error that means the motor isn't working. They said there is nothing I can do except mail it in (since it is only 4 months old) and wait 3 weeks to get it back.

This printer gave me random "paper jam" errors when there wasn't a paper jam, it frequently doesn't print when I tell it to, and it turns itself off. Either I got a dud or this printer is not worth what it costs.

Please beware. Purchase a different printer.
I will update in three weeks when I have my printer back. Chances are the update will say that the printer arrived to be with a new error message and my new $400 in ink gone.
on December 16, 2012
I'm happy with the print quality, but frustrated with the network stability.

Once the initial set-up was complete I could print from my Mac and iOS devices (AirPrint and mobile print). The next morning none of my devices could locate the printer. A power cycle resolved it and I was able to print again. A few hours later the printer disappeared again. I can ping the IP, but no AirPrint.

Samsung suggests updating the Firmware, but the updater is only available for Windows.

Bottom line: This could be a great printer if Samsung can solve the network issues, until then I'd look elsewhere, especially if you're looking for Mac and/or AirPrint support.

AirPrint is still unreliable. I've found if I reset the printer I can print for a few hours before it disappears again.

I've attempted to contact support twice. The first time they said to enable SNMP (already was). The second time they told me to look for timeout settings in the SyncThru Web interface (no specifics, just look around and try to change something).

The issue with Samsung support is continuity. There's no case number assigned and they don't accept replies to their e-mails. Once you get a message the only way to follow up is to open another request and start over again.

I'm giving up and sending it back to Amazon.