1,621 Reviews
 (1,396)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch performance and stability
Published 20 months ago by Eddie A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive but worried about warranty
Published 15 months ago by Michael B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch performance and stability, November 18, 2012
Eddie A. (Orange County, California) - See all my reviews
The 128 GB version performs with remarkable speed and stability. After almost 2 weeks of very heavy use on a fresh install of Windows 7, I've experienced no issues. Samsung's 4th-generation 3-Core MDX Controller has been and still is at the top of the heap. Initially, the performance was lower than rated because I did not have AHCI mode enabled in my registry and BIOS, but after a couple of tweaks my benchmarks were impressive:

Samsung SSD Magician v3.2 benchmarks:

4K-64Thrd Read 327.99 MB/s, Write 270.136 MB/s
4K-64Thrd Read 83966 iops, Write 69153 iops
Acc.Time Read 0.083 ms, Write 0.060 ms
Score 981
(screenshot posted of 2 benchmarks taken a week apart)

This drive is a bit expensive (at the time of this review), but that is to be expected at this point. I purchased it elsewhere for a slightly better price and I did not hesitate buying it on the first day it was released. I also purchased a Silverstone SDP08 Bay Converter for it which fits nicely in my Asus case: SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter. Regarding the software that comes included on the CD, Samsung SSD Magician always indicates there is an updated version when there actually isn't...strange, but the app works fine nonetheless. Their Data Migration software isn't included on the CD but is available for download from their website.

UPDATE 11/21/2012:
After updating the driver from the Microsoft's AHCI to the latest Intel 7 AHCI 11.6.0.1030 controller, my iops increased substantially.

Samsung SSD Magician v3.2 benchmarks:
Ran Read 96500
Ran Write 77319

AS SSD Benchmarks:
4K-64Thrd Read 96049 iops, Write 75320 iops
Score 1082
(screenshot posted)

UPDATE 01/19/2013:
I purchased the 256GB version as well and rec'd it yesterday. Fantastic performance with higher seq write and iops compared to the 128GB version. I used Samsung's Data Migration software to copy the partition from my 128GB drive onto my new drive, and everything went smooth. Couldn't be happier.

CrystalDiskMark - seq:
521.4 Seq Read
502.0 Seq Write

ASS SSD Benchmark - iops:
97158 read
70100 write
(screenshots posted of both)

UPDATE 12/09/2013:
NOTICE! Get the latest Samsung Magician software version 4.3 and enable RAPID mode! (RAPID mode was previously only available for the newer EVO series SSDs.) You will not believe the performance gain once you enable that feature, so feast your eyes on these new benchmarks of my 256GB 840 Pro drive:

Samsung Magician benchmark:

4K Write = 551.7 MB/s
4K QD32 Read = 634.3 MB/s
4K QD32 Write = 473.3 MB/s

(screenshots posted)

After one year of ownership of both the 128GB and 256GB versions, these drives continue to perform with remarkable stability and performance.

________________________________________________
My machine:
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU
Intel 7 Series C216 v12.5.0.1066 AHCI Controller
16GB A-Data PC3-12800U-11 RAM
Asus PH877-M Pro motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is FAST !, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD256BW (Personal Computers)
I bought this drive after using the Samsung 830 SSD on my MacBook Pro. That drive was fast and super reliable, hopefully the streak will continue with this one. On typical day to day operations, I don't really notice a difference between the two. Benchmarks using Black Magic Speed Tests show the following:

Samsung 830 (256GB):

Read: 468 MB/sec
Write: 389 MB/sec

Samsung 840 Pro (256GB):

Read: 512 MB/sec
Write: 451 MB/sec

If you are thinking about upgrading from an existing SSD, depending on your usage, it may not be worth it. But if you are going from a traditional HDD, go for it. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great! Gaming isn't that much faster, but Windows most certainly is., January 13, 2013
===== Installation and Packaging =====

The packaging for this is minimal but seems efficient. I ordered from Amazon and they put the drive (which comes in a package the size of a CD case) in a larger box with some padding.

As far as installing the hardware into my desktop it was super easy. Mounted and plugged it in and it was good to go.

After double-checking to see my BIOS was set to AHCI mode for my SATA ports, I popped my Win 7 DVD in the drive and restarted my computer for installation.

Windows recognized the drive just fine and after making the few selections necessary it started to install.

This was the fastest installation of Windows I've ever encountered. I wasn't timing it directly but I'm pretty sure it was completely done in about 20 minutes. That's from initial "Start Installation" button click until the final reset where it boots up and you can actually start using windows.

After that, installing programs seems to be slightly faster but not that much faster than normal.

Copying files is waaaay faster. I copied over 20GB of files from my old Win install so that I could format the drive and replace them. It copied them over within a few minutes. Copying them back to my spinning-disk drive took a bit longer of course.

===== Expectations and Performance =====

I bought this to transfer Win 7 Pro and my games (mainly GW2, Diablo III, and other similar games) over to for better performance. So far it has been markedly faster but not as mind-bogglingly fast as I had built it up to potentially be.

As far as Win 7 Pro goes, I did a fresh install and after all the updates it now loads in probably less than 30 seconds. This is the most beneficial thing for this SSD so far in my opinion. I'm also including the time it takes me to type in my password. (probably 5-8 seconds)

I've noticed that my games do load faster than they used to and if I'm transitioning between zones/levels/what-have-you with friends or others I am nearly always the first person to show up "on the other side."

Over all, I am loving the increase in speed for the little things. Windows boots fast, games load faster, it just feels faster all around.

====== Summary ======

I would highly recommend transitioning over to an SSD for anyone who does anything with intensive hard drive use.

As far as using this particular drive, that's up to you. The research I did showed that the Samsung 840 Pro Series was recommended over the 840 Series as it's a different type of memory that will allow for more writes.

Hope this was helpful and if you get this drive I hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

5.0 out of 5 stars Corsair vs Crucial vs OCZ vs Samsung vs SanDisk - MacBook Pro Review, December 24, 2012
***UPDATE 12/31/12***
Amazon keeps removing my links in this review, sorry. Also, I notice I had my read and write speeds flopped, this has since been corrected on all my reviews posted for each SSD.

I am an avid MacBook Pro user and do a lot of hardware reviews for Apple products. I was able to get my hands on a dozen or so SSDs and test them out on a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and a 2012 13" MacBook Pro and have posted my results below on speeds, firmware and RMA.

All test were done with the SSD installed in the Main HDD Bay1, not the Optical Bay with SATA III on both the 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pro's. All 3rd party SSDs in Mac's require a Terminal CMD or TrimEnabler App to enable TRIM has OS X doesn't turn this on be fault.

*DRIVES LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER*

CORSAIR FORCE GT
*WRITE: 306.3 MB/s
*READ 486.1 MB/s

SandForce SF-2200

FIRMWARE
Cannot be updated in OSX natively, you must use a Windows PC or with Bootcamp using the Windows Update Tool found at [...]
Offers Advance RMA? Yes.

QUICK REVIEW:
Great SSD with good speeds, not faster than the Samsung 830, 840, 840 Pro or OCZ Vertex 4 but faster than the Crucial M4. SandForce based SSD which I've seen performance issues on OS X. As you see from the Benchmarks, all the non SandForce Controlled SSDs tend to performance slower on Mac's, minus the Crucial M4. Reliability seems to be reported good with these drives and users seem to be happy overall.

CRUCIAL M4
*WRITE: 265.4 MB/s
*READ: 501.9 MB/s

Marvell

FIRMWARE
Can be updated in OSX with a USB Drive or CD Disc using these instructions [...]

QUICK REVIEW:
Great SSD, fast enough, good reputation for reliability. Slower than the Samsung 840 Series both Pro and Non and slower than the OCZ Vertex 4, but who will notice that besides hardcore enthusiast and benchmark braggers?

OCZ VERTEX 4
*WRITE: 472.2 MB/s
*READ: 429.9 MB/s

Indilinx

Easily updated for the Mac with their MacTools [...] [...]

Offers Advance RMA? Yes.

QUICK REVIEW:
One of the fastest for PC or Mac. This thing is amazingly fast as well. OCZ hasn't had the great reputation for reliable SSDs, but since they acquired Indilinx and stopped using the SandForce controller they have gained a lot of the SSD market back and have far more reliable SSDs. They have great customer service and easy firmware updates for Mac users.

SAMSUNG 840
*WRITE 314.1 MB/s
*READ: 506.6 MB/s

Samsung MDX

FIRMWARE
Cannot be updated in OSX natively, you must use a Windows PC or with Bootcamp using Samsung's Magician software.

QUICK REVIEW:
Not as fast as the Pro but still fast enough and a very reliable SSD. Samsung has a great SSD Memory Controller and provides excellent SSDs that have a great reputation for reliability.

SAMSUNG 840 PRO
*WRITE: 495.8 MB/s
*READ: 518.5 MB/s

Samsung MDX

QUICK REVIEW:
One of the fastest and most reliable SSDs on the market for PC or Mac. This thing is amazing and this is by far my favorite SSD. Samsung has a great SSD Memory Controller and provides excellent SSDs that have a great reputation for reliability.

SANDISK EXTREME
*WRITE: 261.7 MB/s
*READ: 480.3 MB/s

SandForce

FIRMWARE
According to SanDisk the Firmware can be updated natively on a Mac via these instructions, but I haven't tested it.
[...]

[...]

QUICK REVIEW:
Not as fast as some of ther other SSDs but fast enough none the less. SandForce based SSD which I've seen performance issues on OS X. As you see from the Benchmarks, all the non SandForce Controlled SSDs tend to performance slower on Mac's, minus the Crucial M4. Reliability seems to be reported good with these drives and users seem to be happy overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good!, December 20, 2012
I ordered this drive so that I could replace my 500GB 7200RPM drive that came in my early 2011 MBP. I also ordered a OWC data doubler (not installed yet) to mount my original drive into for use as a 2nd internal drive.

I decided to reload my MBP from scratch rather than cloning. I had about 350GB of data on my old drive, so cloning wasn't really an option. I went with a smaller SSD to save a few dollars. I started by making a backup of my original drive onto an external 500GB FW800 drive. Once the backup was complete I installed the Samsung 840 Pro to the internal HDD location.

I made a USB drive with the Mountain Lion install software on it. I booted to the USB install drive and used disk utility to format the Samsung 840 Pro. No issues at all with the system recognizing the drive. After formatting the drive I loaded a fresh copy of Mountain Lion. I spent several hours reloading my apps to the Samsung 840 Pro. I also copied my documents back onto the Samsung 840 Pro. I will copy some of the larger files from the original drive onto the 2nd HDD once the data doubler arrives. I'll use the cloned copy to copy those files after I reformat the old internal HDD. I still have about 100GB remaining after a fresh reload and putting some of my documents onto the SSD.

The speed difference is amazing. The system boots to the logon screen in about 10 seconds now. I also recently upgraded to 16GB of memory, so between the two I'm seeing some significant speed increases. My Adobe apps load so quickly now as do all of my applications now that they are on the 840 Pro.

The drive has only been in for a few hours, so it is still early. The good news is there were no technical hiccups at all. The swap went as smoothly as replacing with a regular HDD. I've seen some issues reported with trying to install a SSD into the data doubler depending on the SATA controller on your MBP. Mine shows 6GB for both, so I may have been fine either way, but decided to go with the method that seems to have the most success. Stay tuned.... I'll update as I get some time in with the drive.

Update 12/21/12
I installed the data doubler today. It went smoothly as well. I now have the original 500GB 7200 RPM drive in the super drive bay. All is working well. No technical issues with the data doubler.

Update 1/22/13
Everything is still working flawlessly. The speed is amazing. I'm very happy I made the upgrade.

Update 2/27/13
Still no issues. I'm still impressed with the speed. Getting completely logged in and up and running in about 20 seconds from completely powered off state is still amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, June 29, 2013
I have a Spring 2011-vintage Unibody MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 GHz Core i7. I had been researching SSD drives for some time, and the Samsung 840 Pro was always relatively Rather Expensive, but also consistently highly rated for speed, reliability and life expectancy. For those reasons, I decided to pay about $90 more for the Samsung, vs. what a 512G Crucial M4 was going for at the time.

The Samsung SSD comes in a little lightweight cardboard box the size of two stacked-up CD jewel boxes. If your shelves of "assorted computer stuff" are like mine, you could misplace the box waiting to put this thing in! Installation was very straightforward, no different from a traditional hard drive. The Macbook Pro and the Samsung drive both support full 6 Gigabit SATA link speed, and this was correctly shown in the System Report once I had OS X 10.8.x freshly installed.

You don't need benchmarks to measure how fast this drive is. From a cold, turned-completely-off start, my MacBook Pro boots all the way to the desktop in about 10-12 seconds. Applications launch on the first bounce of the icon. Even Thunderbird. Even iTunes with a >100G music library. INSTANT. It's mind-blowing.

Plus, my laptop runs a few degrees cooler, and has better battery life. Neither of these improvements are huge, but they are noticeable. Also, in a quiet bedroom late at night with no window fan or A/C running, I also notice... the lack of the subtle whirr of the old hard drive. As long as I don't load the CPU enough to bump up the fan speed, my laptop is now ABSOLUTELY SILENT.

In short, the Samsung 840 Pro is a small package of pure, concentrated awesome. If your particular laptop still LETS you do things like installing memory or a hard drive yourself (i.e. unlike Apple's newest Retina Display models, where everything is factory-soldered to the motherboard) then these two vital upgrades will take you and your (in my case) two-year-old laptop, and transport you both to computer Nirvana:

1) Upgrade the RAM. Memory is very cheap these days. If you have 4G RAM or less, bump it to 8G or more.
2) Replace your rotating platter hard drive with a solid-state. The Samsung 840 Pro Series is an EXCELLENT choice here, and I think is worth every bit of the 20% price premium you'll pay over a more mid-line brand with the same storage capacity.

That concludes the review proper. What follows are some general SSD observations and tips, plus some advice specifically for SSD's on Mac OS X.

SSD ADVICE

SSD's are very reliable, but they do have a finite ability to write and re-write data in each memory cell of the drive. The Samsung has a 5-year warranty (and you DO make backups of your data, yes?) and really, the amount of data you'd have to throw at a solid-state drive to actually wear it out is so tremendous, no ordinary user will ever even come CLOSE to it. So drive wear should not be a practical or everyday concern. (A few months ago I dropped one of my old-style external hard drives a few feet onto a hardwood floor. THWACK... Dead. Makes the SSD advantage very clear.) Still, there are things you can and should do to avoid unnecessary wear on your SSD drive, and maximize its life.

* DON'T run performance benchmarks on your SSD. Drive benchmarking throws HUGE writes and reads at the drive to measure the performance. Let the computer mags and professional reviewers do this for you, don't cause YOUR drive needless wear just testing the speed.

* Enable TRIM support. This lets the drive manage re-written data more efficiently and properly refresh memory cells that become available as files are moved or deleted. (Mac OS X has had TRIM support since 10.6.8, but if your laptop didn't come with an SSD from the factory, you have to turn this feature on yourself, with a utility like TRIM Enabler or Chameleon SSD Optimizer.)

* Consider disabling "Hibernation". My laptop has 8G memory. This means that every time the lid closes and it goes to sleep, it writes ALL 8G OF RAM out to disk. Turn this feature off, you'll get less wear on your SSD, and the laptop will sleep and wake faster -- however, the one disadvantage is, if your battery goes completely dead, your system will lose its operating context, just like any computer when you yank the power. Command is "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0", and then you can remove the "sleepimage" file from /private/var/vm/ to reclaim the disk space. (PC laptops typically have settings for "sleep" vs. "hibernate" as well, but I didn't research specifics on those.)

* (OS X 10.8+ only) Disable local backup snapshots. Starting with Mountain Lion, OS X's Time Machine keeps regular backup snapshots locally, whenever the external backup drive is not available. These don't really gain you much, IMHO. If your laptop falls into the Grand Canyon or your internal drive croaks, those interim LOCAL backups won't be any use anyway. You can turn these "snapshots" off, save the extra thrashing of your drive, and Time Machine will still work exactly as before when you DO connect your external backup drive. Command: "sudo tmutil disablelocal".

* Disable the Sudden Motion Sensor. This automatically parks your hard drive heads to prevent a crash if your laptop falls off your desk. SSD's don't need this shock protection. (Of course, if you have a second, traditional, hard drive in your machine as well, your should leave this protection turned on.) Command to disable: "sudo pmset -a sms 0".

USUAL WARNINGS AND DISCLAIMERS

If you aren't already comfortable with working in Terminal and on the command line, or you don't know what "sudo" stands for, ask an expert to help. ("sudo" is God-level access to your machine's systems. Remember that sometimes God parts the Red Sea, but sometimes, God floods the entire planet and everything on it DIES. Be sure you know which one YOU are doing.) Google every command first, read a few articles for each one, and thoroughly understand what they do. Read the man pages for tmutil and pmset. I found ALL of the above information online pretty easily, but it did take some research. I am just putting all of the suggestions in one place to help you get started. (You may find additional suggestions and settings in your research that are helpful on YOUR system, but these are the ones that I decided to implement on my MacBook Pro after installing the Samsung drive, and they are working well for me.)

And do enjoy your Samsung 840 Pro. Every time you wake up your laptop, it's like going out to your garage to go grocery shopping, and remembering that, Oh, Right -- I own a Ferrari. COOL.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive but worried about warranty, April 15, 2013
The drive preforms well with write and read near 500. I bought this for the warranty as I planned to use as a video scratch disk. When I registered the drive, it came up with a 3 year warranty and not a 5 year. After two weeks of email back and forth with Samsung (no one in customer service ever picks up the phone), customer service stated in email and phone. This product only has a 3 year warranty. I finally got ahold of a manager. I was told it is a mistake in all the documentation.

I kept at it as I wanted the 5 year warranty. When I stated that it would be better to return the item and get a cheaper one if it didn't have a 5 year warranty. I was transferred to a specialist. He stated that everyone so far was incorrect. It did have a 5 year warranty even though when you registered it comes up as 3 years. He said to hold onto my sales receipt should I ever need service.

They never changed the website period until after I went up to the next manager. I would rate the item as a five but the service is a 2. It worries me so a 3 over all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, Great Price, February 12, 2013
I replaced an older Crucial M4, which went into my laptop, with this drive. Similar read speeds to the m4, but dramatically improved write speeds (>400 Mb/s). 5 stars easy. If you haven't upgraded to an SSD, even on an older machine, do yourself the favor. Easily the best upgrade to any machine, noticeable difference in almost every facet of computer use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, best in class, wait for sales if you can, March 3, 2013
Rich Grace (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This drive is a perfect illustration of Moore's Law. I bought a Crucial C300 SSD two years ago for about twice what this drive cost me. Samsung's cloning software is perfect and simple, and made the upgrade process an absolute no-brainer. Twice the size, twice the speed, at half the price. I'm not bothering to publish benchmarks because the values by themselves are meaningless unless you are able to compare against others; given that I was able to directly compare this against a previous-generation SSD, I found the improvement noticeable and the smaller bite on my wallet even more noticeable. Plenty of folks will give you measurements in other reviews on this page.
The Norton Ghost software bundled with the 840 Pro is only a trial version and dates from 2010. The drive is fantastic anyway, and worth the price. I would recoomend waiting for sales as prices have jumped up to 20% since I bought mine a couple weeks ago (confession: not from Amazon, though I was able to use Amazon's posted price to get a better deal at the time. I was impatient and didn't want to wait for shipping).
The 840 Pros are widely considered the fastest drives of their kind for PC users and are also widely considered the most reliable. This is the first generation of SSD drives that appears to have eliminated the reliability issues ("bricking," etc.) and this ably illustrates how technology continues to show the potential to benefit us all. This drive makes my computer system (Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, 16GB DDR-1600, GTX-570, etc...) about as well-balanced a machine as it is possible to build in the current architecture. Photoshop CS6 64-bit starts in two seconds flat. Illustrator CS6 64-bit starts in 3 seconds. The computer boots after POST in about ten seconds.
With a conventional hard disk arrangement, the computer would be partially crippled. With a Samsung SSD? It sings. Cannot recommend more highly. I wouldn't even bother looking at other brands. Right now, Samsung is the king of SSDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SSD, February 15, 2013
Mitchman (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these units. There has only been one firmware update which I applied via Samsung SSD Magician to both drives before placing an O/S on either one. The drives I purchased came only with a CD containing documentation and the Samsung SSD Magician software. I am fairly impressed with Samsung SSD Magician as it is, but it could still use improvement as I will relate in my upgrade comments.

I used one drive in a new build. It has performed well and reliably in my new build.

I used the second SSD to upgrade an older computer. I was expecting to use the Samsung SSD Magician to clone, but I found out the hard way that it only has the hooks in place to invoke an installed copy of Norton Ghost 15. Norton Ghost 15 didn't come with my purchase, but I had previously purchased a copy for another use for which it failed miserably. I decided to give it another shot and installed it on the target PC.

Before I proceed, keep in mind that I am quite familiar with disk cloning and Windows 7 as I use this mechanism to backup all of my computers and have done so for over a decade.

Well, Samsung SSD Magician launched Norton Ghost 15 when I clicked on the "Clone Disk" icon, and Norton Ghost 15 did a disk copy, but the resultant drive just wouldn't boot regardless of what I tried. I think Samsung should consider partnering with another manufacturer such as Acronis True Image. My old drive was a Seagate, so I could legally download and install the free Seagate DiscWizard Utility (a Seagate-branded version of Acronis True Image). This utlity worked flawlessly and the resultant drive booted without issue. This uprgade raised the WEI for the hard drive from 5.9 to 7.9! PC bootup has been reduced to just a few seconds and performance is much snappier.

Rate and Discover Movies