The perfect all-in-one device for staying connected, getting work done, and enjoying the latest in entertainment while on-the-go, the Samsung Epic 4G runs on Sprint's new and expanding 4G network, offering simultaneous voice and data connectivity and download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. Additionally, the phone can still connect to 3G data services in areas not currently served by Sprint's 4G network (learn more about Sprint's 4G network below).
The 4G-enabled Samsung Epic helps you stay connected to work and friends as well as enjoy HD videos, gaming, and more.
The Epic 4G has a large 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display that provides brighter, thinner, and higher-resolution than traditional screens. Samsung's innovative display technology makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life like never before, even in bright light and outdoor environments. And messaging is simple and easy with the Epic 4G's side-sliding full QWERTY keyboard as well as the included virtual QWERTY keyboard with Swype technology, which allows you to input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard.
Running the Android 2.1 operating system, the Epic 4G brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by Voice, YouTube, and Picasa. The Epic 4G also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
The forward-facing VGA camera makes it easy to have video calls using the two-way voice and video service from Qik (upgraded account service required), while the 5-megapixel camera on the back also offers HD video recording (720p) for playback on your HDTV.
With built-in mobile hotspot functionality, the Epic 4G also allows up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices--including laptop, camera, music player, video player, or any other Wi-Fi-enabled device--to enjoy the benefits of 4G speeds on the go. Other features include music downloads from the Amazon MP3 Store, microSD memory expansion (16 GB card included; optional 32 GB cards supported), HDMI audio/video output, and up to 6 hours of battery life (learn more about power management on the Samsung Epic 4G).
It features a 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and onscreen keyboard
with Swype technology.
Sprint's Blazing Fast 4G Network
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service in 32 markets (with more coming online soon). Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G, giving this mobile phone the fastest data speeds of any U.S. wireless device available today. Sprint 4G network coverage is expected to reach 120 million people by the end of 2010.
Sprint 4G services dramatically increase download speeds for photos, videos and large files. You can download a favorite song, picture, sitcom or large video in seconds, not minutes, or watch live streaming video- all while on the go, not just from the home or office. Additionally, businesses can benefit from the fast connectivity speeds of 4G. Some examples include:
- Real estate agents can conduct virtual property tours.
- Construction teams using 4G in the field can save valuable time by sharing schematics with engineers online.
- Insurance companies can speed their claims management through real-time communication with on-site adjusters.
- Health care professionals can improve their ability to remotely monitor patients.
- Emergency first responders can rapidly assess and coordinate disaster action with real-time on-site video and audio.
- Photojournalists can instantly transfer high-resolution images to the newsroom.
Learn more about what to expect when switching between 3G and 4G coverage.
A Movie Theater in Your Hand
When Samsung Media Hub launches on the Samsung Epic 4G, it will be the first and only 4G handset to feature a video store with movies and TV shows available for purchase or rental and video content set up for an HD-like entertainment experience on a handset screen.
The Epic 4G will also share user-generated video content with other devices thanks to Samsung's exclusive AllShare service, which wirelessly shares stored music, pictures and HD video to other DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified home electronics--including HDTVs, monitors, digital cameras, printers and more. Through AllShare, you'll be able to capture moments with the phone's camera and camcorder and wirelessly show them to friends or family on a DLNA-certified HDTV or download music from a PC to the Epic 4G and take it on the road.
Ideal for Gaming
The Epic 4G's brilliant Super AMOLED touchscreen display offers the best representation of color on a mobile phone that matches original content more than 100 times the contrast quality of other leading displays. It also features faster response time (which reduces "ghosting" images), wide viewing angles to prevent blurring or distortion, and a thinner design to offer more accurate and responsiveness to touch.
In addition to the dynamic screen, the Epic 4G's six-axis motion sensing uses an accelerometer and geo-magnetic sensor to fine-tune its ability to interpret simple movements and provide an optimal gaming experience. When the phone tilts up and down or left and right, the game can immediately respond in the same direction. To get you started, a demo of the popular Asphalt 5 racing game is preloaded.
Mobile Hotspot capability shares the 3G or 4G experience with up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices (see larger image).
- Ultra-fast 4G connectivity with simultaneous voice and data capability (peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps)
- 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) in areas not yet served by 4G (peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps)
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Built-in mobile hotspot functionality allows up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 3G or 4G experience on the go with a laptop, camera, music player, game unit, video player, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device.
- Powered by the Android operating system (version 2.1) with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor speeds up everything--from playing games to watching shows to opening files from work.
- Swype input system allows you to input text faster and easier by gliding your finger around the keyboard, moving from letter to letter in one continuous motion. The Swype technology then calculates what word you're intending to type (learn more below).
- Samsung Social Hub provides one stop for all your updates integrates all your social networking services, messages, personal and business e-mail, calendars and contacts.
- 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display (480 x 800 pixels, 16 million color depth) is one of the thinnest, most responsive full-featured smartphones in the industry.
- 5.0-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto-focus and HD video recording (720p)
- Forward-facing VGA camera for making video calls. Two-way voice and video capability will be available as an upgrade to the preloaded Qik app on the phone to enable conversational, interactive, real-time sharing between mobile devices or from mobile-to-desktop.
- Included 16 GB microSD card with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- Instantly download e-books from Skiff, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo
- Access to personal and corporate e-mail with Microsoft Direct Push Technology and HTML support. Send and receive email from multiple corporate and personal email accounts. Also, get wireless email access to popular commercial POP3 and IMAP accounts like AOL, Gmail, and Yahoo!
- Instant messaging via popular services including Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger.
- View documents including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF on the go to maximize your productivity
- Visual Voicemail gives you quick and easy access to just the messages you want to listen to by letting you go directly to a specific message, without needing to listen to or skip past previous messages.
- Full HTML Web browser
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- Memory: 1 GB ROM, 512 MB RAM
The Samsung Epic 4G weighs 5.46 ounces and measures 4.9 x 2.54 x 0.56 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery provides long talk and standby times. It runs on Sprint's 4G network as well as the 800/1900 CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A frequencies.
What's in the Box
Samsung Epic 4G handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 16 GB microSD card, quick start guide
- GPS capable with Sprint Navigation: This GPS-enabled phone provides optional access to Sprint Navigation for driving directions on your mobile phone--by voice and onscreen. Along the way, turn-by-turn directions will be announced in a clear voice and displayed on your phone. For example, Sprint Navigation will say, "Go 1.2 miles and turn right on Elm Street." As you approach the turn, you will hear, "Turn right on Elm Street." Sprint Navigation also provides proactive traffic alerts with one click re-routing. And it's easy to find restaurants, banks, cafes, hotels and more from over 10 million points of interest across the U.S.
- Sprint TV enabled: With Sprint TV, you can make your cell phone your always-on source for news, weather, sports and more. This comprehensive video service combines high-quality streaming audio and video from channels including the NFL Network, ABC, The Weather Channel, Fox Sports, E!, CNN, The Discovery Channel, and more.
- Stay Sporty with Sprint: With NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile, instantly connect to the NASCAR information you want, when you want it. Follow NASCAR action from practice to race day with real-time leaderboard and alerts. Get exclusive access to your favorite NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver with real-time driver stats, breaking news and more. Live in-car audio, race radio, NASCAR on SPEED and other audio/video only available on select phones. Visit sprint.com/speed for details.
To access, just text "NASCAR" to 7777 on your Sprint phone or visit the Sprint Digital Lounge to download NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile (standard text messaging and data rates apply).
This phone also provides access to Sprint Football Live--free for any phone with a data plan. You'll be able to follow all the live play-by-play action with the Live Game Center for both pro and college football games, as well as stay on top of the pro football draft with a Live Draft Tracker and in-depth analysis and bios on nearly 500 top prospects. Access by texting "FOOTBALL" to 7777 on the handset to download Sprint Football Live from Sprint Digital Lounge (standard text messaging and data rates apply).
Learn More Swype Keyboard
An alternative to the Android virtual keyboard, the Swype virtual keyboard allows you to input text by swiping the finger with one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard. Based on testing, speed and accuracy are equal to or better than the traditional keyboard-tapping method. You can activate the Swype keyboard by pressing and holding in a text field, wait for popup to appear, click Input Method, and then select Swype.
In the image to the left, the word "quick" was generated from tracing the path shown above in a fraction of a second, by roughly aiming to pass through the letters of the word. A key advantage to Swype is that there is no need to be very accurate, enabling very rapid text entry. Switching between 3G and 4G coverage
When switching between 3G and 4G coverage, the Samsung Epic 4G may experience a very brief interruption of data service as the device switches network connections. During this brief interruption, applications attempting to access data may be unable to do so and may display an error message. Below are some examples of how to proceed if an error message appears on the device. Other data-usage applications may experience a very brief interruption and will continue functioning once the network handoff is complete.
- Mail application: Simply tap the Cancel button and refresh your inbox after a few seconds by tapping Menu > Refresh.
- Browser application: Simply wait a few seconds and attempt loading the webpage again by tapping the refresh arrows or re-entering the address.
- YouTube: Simply tap the OK button and attempt loading the desired video again
- Sprint Mobile Hotspot: The Sprint Mobile Hotspot will remain on, but there will be no internet connectivity until the device reconnects to the data network.
- Pandora: Pandora may briefly pause until connectivity to the data network is restored
Also Available for This Android Device
| || |
Amazon Appstore for Android
Get a great paid app for free every day.
| || |
Buy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
| || |
Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
| || |
Find local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
| || |
Download audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
| || |
Shop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.